Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    Just looked up deaths this year.  we have already surpassed last years death here in the US.

I just don't understand that.  It's crazy.

80% are 65 and older.  It's like a virus was made to take out the elderly, holy shit...

My next thing to google is if the life expectancy in the US has decreased because of this.
    Yes it has.  First time since the war years that expectancy went down, if I recall properly.  
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    "I don’t know how to put this in a way that will not make me sound flippant: No one cares. Literally speaking, I know that isn’t true, because if it were, the articles wouldn’t be commissioned. But outside the world inhabited by the professional and managerial classes in a handful of major metropolitan areas, many, if not most, Americans are leading their lives as if COVID is over, and they have been for a long while."

Where I Live, No One Cares About COVID - The Atlantic

I found this piece entertaining and it also falls in line with the thinking that I am seeing with more and more people.
    Where I live it's the same thing.
    I understand the sentiment, especially if you have been vaccinated and following the rules for the most part.  Lots of promising treatments and more therapeutic options available.  It really is a pandemic of the unvaccinated at this point and I am just as fed up with this as the next person.  We are never going to be completely safe from covid19. Do we ever get to a point where we just accept this or do we continue down this path even though we have been doing all the right things and the only people that seem to be at great risk are unvaccinated people of advancing age.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    "I don’t know how to put this in a way that will not make me sound flippant: No one cares. Literally speaking, I know that isn’t true, because if it were, the articles wouldn’t be commissioned. But outside the world inhabited by the professional and managerial classes in a handful of major metropolitan areas, many, if not most, Americans are leading their lives as if COVID is over, and they have been for a long while."

I found this piece entertaining and it also falls in line with the thinking that I am seeing with more and more people.
    I understand the sentiment, especially if you have been vaccinated and following the rules for the most part.  Lots of promising treatments and more therapeutic options available.  It really is a pandemic of the unvaccinated at this point and I am just as fed up with this as the next person.  We are never going to be completely safe from covid19. Do we ever get to a point where we just accept this or do we continue down this path even though we have been doing all the right things and the only people that seem to be at great risk are unvaccinated people of advancing age.
    Another takeaway from that article is that he is going on w life like nothing is wrong too.  He  is living his life.  Doesn't sound like there is much caution.

He also mentions the risk of eating Kibbeh.  If you can try it, do.  One of my favorite things I've ever had from the Middle East.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Another takeaway from that article is that he is going on w life like nothing is wrong too.  He  is living his life.  Doesn't sound like there is much caution.

He also mentions the risk of eating Kibbeh.  If you can try it, do.  One of my favorite things I've ever had from the Middle East.
    My favorite part about that piece is how they had to resort to praying the rosary at home on Sundays because their church was shut down. 

Entertaining indeed. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Yeah the author is for sure a lot more cavalier than I am, but I completely understand.  Living in Texas I also see that the author's lifestyle is the dominant lifestyle out here.

I love Kibbeh.  My uncle is Lebanese so I grew up eating loads of good middle eastern foods whenever the extended family got together.  The legend is that as a small child I would gorge on homemade baklava.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,150
    I recently found out that my ex business partner has been on a ventilator with Covid....going on about three weeks now I think

His wife had it at the same time but only required oxygen. She was released last Friday to home care with oxygen, etc.

He's 57....likely unvaxxed as he is a tRumpster
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    static111 said:

This is an incredibly articulate version of most of what we hear from anti-vaxers/maskers, etc. He even takes digs at people wearing masks in ways that don't impact him (i.e., a polished way of saying "you look STUPID with your mask on by yourself"). 

That all said, this probably is an overly generalized version of the truth. In general, people are ready to move on. We're burned out. We want to see people. We want to go grocery shopping without masks. Yeah, it's true, big cities are behind the Real America in this movement, but I do think there's an overall shift/fatigue/etc.

I probably would not get along with guy and his ability to be articulate just makes the "MAGA, bitches!" a bit more difficult to find. But he does provide some insight as to where a lot of people are. However, I think there's a split between vaccinations and the rest. Plenty of vaxxed people will continue to get vaxxed as recommended even if they've lost interest in whether it's a good idea to be unmasked around grandma or how many people should gather at Thanksgiving.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:

This is an incredibly articulate version of most of what we hear from anti-vaxers/maskers, etc. He even takes digs at people wearing masks in ways that don't impact him (i.e., a polished way of saying "you look STUPID with your mask on by yourself"). 

That all said, this probably is an overly generalized version of the truth. In general, people are ready to move on. We're burned out. We want to see people. We want to go grocery shopping without masks. Yeah, it's true, big cities are behind the Real America in this movement, but I do think there's an overall shift/fatigue/etc.

I probably would not get along with guy and his ability to be articulate just makes the "MAGA, bitches!" a bit more difficult to find. But he does provide some insight as to where a lot of people are. However, I think there's a split between vaccinations and the rest. Plenty of vaxxed people will continue to get vaxxed as recommended even if they've lost interest in whether it's a good idea to be unmasked around grandma or how many people should gather at Thanksgiving.
    Lol nor would I
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    So should we all put our lives on hold and just stay home? I see many people here complaining about how others act and how Republican governors should be doing more. I live in Washington state which is one of the most strict states when it comes to COVID. There are plenty of rules in place but guess what? They aren't being enforced! I went to Seattle to see The Eagles last month. Washington state requires everyone wear a mask indoors. Seattle(King County) requires proof of vaccination for indoor gatherings. There were between 16,000-17,000 people inside the Climate Pledge Arena. I was surprised when I didn't have to show proof of vaccination when I entered the building. When I entered I was asked to show my ticket to get into the concert. I had my vaccination card out and was ready to show it. I asked if I needed to show that and they told me that someone was supposed to check that outside(there was no one outside doing so). I was also surprised to see that 75% of people inside the arena were not wearing masks during the concert. I've watched plenty of Seattle sporting events on TV. They are outdoors but everyone is required to be wearing masks but the TV clearly shows that they aren't wearing them. Does the Governor, state, or city fine the Seattle Seahawks for not requiring masks? How about Climate Pledge Arena? Nope. How about the small ma and pa business? Yep. Washington goes after small businesses daily for breaking COVID rules but never the big companies or entities where it should matter the most!

At some point, society is going to have to make a decision to either stay locked up in their house or live their life. How does everyone feel about Eddie going on tour in smaller indoor venues? No doubt that some spread of COVID will happen at every one of his shows. Is it worth it? Where do you guys draw the line? From reading most of these comments, it sounds like you all want people to stay locked up in their houses but I don't see the outrage for events that have the potential of spreading this disease. I also don't see the outrage when Democratic Governors and states don't enforce their own rules.

To put this into perspective, I am vaccinated. I wear a mask when I am supposed to and I don't give anyone a hard time about having to do so. COVID will never go away. I personally know more people that were vaccinated and have died from COVID than people that were not vaccinated and died. To add to that, I also know more people that have committed suicide during this pandemic that have died from COVID. This is just my personal experience. I do believe we need to be cautious but I realize that COVID will be a thing for the rest of our lives just as the flu and colds are. Imagine if everyone in the United States was vaccinated. How much of a difference do you think this would really make when we have a world full of unvaccinated? Should we close all our borders and not allow anyone through? There are new reports stating that 40% of COVID cases have no symptoms which means the death rate percentage is much lower than what we are being told.

Did you ever think there's a reason why we've seen so many Democratic leaders create rules that require us to wear masks yet we've see plenty of photos proving they don't believe in their own rules? We've caught the PUSA doing this! If Democratic leaders believed in masks and social distancing, they would set a good example by following their own rules. They would also ensure these rules are being enforced by everyone, all the time.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    I recently found out that my ex business partner has been on a ventilator with Covid....going on about three weeks now I think

His wife had it at the same time but only required oxygen. She was released last Friday to home care with oxygen, etc.

That's a bummer and I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with that because even of they both survive, they will probably have to suffer long-term difficult conditions.
    That said, pretty much everyone has heard stories like this, and yet a certain percentage of the population insists on being anti-vacc even though the evidence is so strong that the vaccination will help prevent or at least lessen the affects of infection.  Why so many people want to play that kind of Russian Roulette is beyond me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

That's a bummer and I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with that because even of they both survive, they will probably have to suffer long-term difficult conditions.
    That said, pretty much everyone has heard stories like this, and yet a certain percentage of the population insists on being anti-vacc even though the evidence is so strong that the vaccination will help prevent or at least lessen the affects of infection.  Why so many people want to play that kind of Russian Roulette is beyond me.
    Misinformation and the culture wars is why.  Some really believe they have nothing whatsoever to worry about.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    AND... yet another reason why my wife and I and several of our friends boycott Amazon   :angry:        

AmazonSmile donated more than $40,000 to anti-vaccine groups in 2020

Donations through the online retailer’s charitable program come as it faces criticism for its role in health misinformation

Amazon’s charitable program is paying tens of thousands of dollars to anti-vaccine groups in a move experts say is “shocking” as millions of Americans remain unvaccinated in the face of another Covid-19 wave.

More at link.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    By European standards, hand-wringing about masks in schools is as silly and absurdly risk-averse as the American medical establishment’s insistence that pregnant women not drink coffee or wine.

pardon? in europe it's laughed at not to consume alcohol during pregnancy?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    AND... yet another reason why my wife and I and several of our friends boycott Amazon   :angry:        

Donations through the online retailer’s charitable program come as it faces criticism for its role in health misinformation

Amazon’s charitable program is paying tens of thousands of dollars to anti-vaccine groups in a move experts say is “shocking” as millions of Americans remain unvaccinated in the face of another Covid-19 wave.

More at link.

I also boycott Amazon.  I think this story is slightly misleading though.  The way I understand is that SMile works in such a way that the end purchaser may purchase amazon products through their smile program and a percentage of proceeds get donated to charities.  So I don't see Amazon as being directly at fault here.  Who is amazon to decide what the consumer declares charitable?  The smile platform could limit what institutions are seen as charitable etc, but perhaps the best thing would be to not allow the option, because even though you are perhaps getting funding to the charity of your choice, Amazon is also getting a huge tax write off.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    By European standards, hand-wringing about masks in schools is as silly and absurdly risk-averse as the American medical establishment’s insistence that pregnant women not drink coffee or wine.

pardon? in europe it's laughed at not to consume alcohol during pregnancy?
    You're allowed a glass I believe.
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    So should we all put our lives on hold and just stay home? I see many people here complaining about how others act and how Republican governors should be doing more. I live in Washington state which is one of the most strict states when it comes to COVID. There are plenty of rules in place but guess what? They aren't being enforced! I went to Seattle to see The Eagles last month. Washington state requires everyone wear a mask indoors. Seattle(King County) requires proof of vaccination for indoor gatherings. There were between 16,000-17,000 people inside the Climate Pledge Arena. I was surprised when I didn't have to show proof of vaccination when I entered the building. When I entered I was asked to show my ticket to get into the concert. I had my vaccination card out and was ready to show it. I asked if I needed to show that and they told me that someone was supposed to check that outside(there was no one outside doing so). I was also surprised to see that 75% of people inside the arena were not wearing masks during the concert. I've watched plenty of Seattle sporting events on TV. They are outdoors but everyone is required to be wearing masks but the TV clearly shows that they aren't wearing them. Does the Governor, state, or city fine the Seattle Seahawks for not requiring masks? How about Climate Pledge Arena? Nope. How about the small ma and pa business? Yep. Washington goes after small businesses daily for breaking COVID rules but never the big companies or entities where it should matter the most!

At some point, society is going to have to make a decision to either stay locked up in their house or live their life. How does everyone feel about Eddie going on tour in smaller indoor venues? No doubt that some spread of COVID will happen at every one of his shows. Is it worth it? Where do you guys draw the line? From reading most of these comments, it sounds like you all want people to stay locked up in their houses but I don't see the outrage for events that have the potential of spreading this disease. I also don't see the outrage when Democratic Governors and states don't enforce their own rules.

To put this into perspective, I am vaccinated. I wear a mask when I am supposed to and I don't give anyone a hard time about having to do so. COVID will never go away. I personally know more people that were vaccinated and have died from COVID than people that were not vaccinated and died. To add to that, I also know more people that have committed suicide during this pandemic that have died from COVID. This is just my personal experience. I do believe we need to be cautious but I realize that COVID will be a thing for the rest of our lives just as the flu and colds are. Imagine if everyone in the United States was vaccinated. How much of a difference do you think this would really make when we have a world full of unvaccinated? Should we close all our borders and not allow anyone through? There are new reports stating that 40% of COVID cases have no symptoms which means the death rate percentage is much lower than what we are being told.

Did you ever think there's a reason why we've seen so many Democratic leaders create rules that require us to wear masks yet we've see plenty of photos proving they don't believe in their own rules? We've caught the PUSA doing this! If Democratic leaders believed in masks and social distancing, they would set a good example by following their own rules. They would also ensure these rules are being enforced by everyone, all the time.
    gavin newsom was dragged through the mud by both sides last year. nancy pelosi was also tarred and feathered for her salon gaffe. my personal opinion is that one incident with biden was just an honest mistake. 

I don't think any of us have ever said anything anywhere close to wanting to be locked up. we want people to get vaccinated and then live our lives. we know restrictions hurt businesses and the economy and mental health, etc. no one wants that. it was necessary prior to vaccines/treatments. now it's not. just get the shot or stay home. that's the message. 

I agree about the outdoor masking. whatever makes a person comfortable, fine. But from what I've read, outdoor transmission is incredibly low. hence the massive increase in cases in winter. if you are at a football game outside? I don't see the point in wearing a mask if you don't want to. at Bomber games (outside) it's not required. At Winnipeg Jets (inside) games, it is. They also got criticized recently about not enforcing that. and they addressed it and I think they fixed it. 

I have gone to restaurants and bars in the last few months and it's all over the map who enforces vax status or not. All the bars/restaurants I went to in Vancouver recently scanned our cards and verified our ID. at restaurants in winnipeg, it's about 50/50, and some of the ones who ask for your card, don't even scan it. they just make sure you have a card (people have tried to fake them, making that process useless). 

democratic leaders are probably all vaccinated, which potentially makes them less concerned about masking and distancing. if that's the standard, however, it should be followed. but you're always going to have leaders that don't follow their own rules. it's not just democrats. it's all over. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

More at link.

I also boycott Amazon.  I think this story is slightly misleading though.  The way I understand is that SMile works in such a way that the end purchaser may purchase amazon products through their smile program and a percentage of proceeds get donated to charities.  So I don't see Amazon as being directly at fault here.  Who is amazon to decide what the consumer declares charitable?  The smile platform could limit what institutions are seen as charitable etc, but perhaps the best thing would be to not allow the option, because even though you are perhaps getting funding to the charity of your choice, Amazon is also getting a huge tax write off.

Amazon can chose who does not get funded.  For example, from the article:
    "Hate groups and terrorism groups are banned from the program. But in the past, AmazonSmile also reportedly funded anti-LGBTQ groups."

I cut Amazon zero slack.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

More at link.

Amazon can chose who does not get funded.  For example, from the article:
    "Hate groups and terrorism groups are banned from the program. But in the past, AmazonSmile also reportedly funded anti-LGBTQ groups."

I cut Amazon zero slack.

In the past? Ok

I think Amazon is amazing.  They are great for consumers.  Small business hates them,  and I get that. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    https://www.cp24.com/news/feds-ask-canadians-to-avoid-travelling-internationally-1.5708657

Feds ask Canadians to avoid travelling internationally

Lol.   Yeah I’m sure people who got vacations booked south are giving them…nope.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited December 2021
    https://www.cp24.com/news/feds-ask-canadians-to-avoid-travelling-internationally-1.5708657

Feds ask Canadians to avoid travelling internationally

Lol.   Yeah I’m sure people who got vacations booked south are giving them…nope.

This reminds me of how when you download a new app on iPhone, it'll give you the option to "allow app to track," or "ask app not to track." In other words, the app is going to track you. 

Me: Hey app, can you please not track me?
    App: Thanks for asking, but no, I'm going to track you. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    mfc2006 said:
    So fucking sick of this shit. 

My company just required proof of vaccination starting on Monday. If you aren't vaxxed, you have to wear a mask. I have a feeling that some people will be fired by the end of the week.
    It’s interesting that a company would go to those lengths, but then allow those that are vaxxed to go un-masked, especially knowing that the virus spreads easily amongst fully vaxxed and even boosted individuals. I’m surprised masking isn’t required for everyone. 
  • Options
    booster next week. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    booster next week. 

same. you have choice?

sticking with Pfizer
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,955
    ^Good to hear.

Zod (in BC) has to wait.
    The Tuesday update said BC boosters would be done here by Jan or Feb for most. It sounds like AB is waiting for more doses.

I had no choice for 3rd dose, but was offered a third Pfizer, so I didn't choose to rebook. But that was before Omicron. At this point, I would take a mismatched mRNA.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,397
    The part I struggle with is overwhelming hospitals.  Maybe it's more of an issue here in Canada as our health are system was already struggling before covid.

Say Omicron is less lethal, but spreads faster.    For arguments say it's 1/2 as lethal.   But if it's 3x more contagious it would still put more pressure on hospitals that are already at capacity.   Lower percentage of people having complications, but more people overall due to big numbers getting infected.

I've already met people or seen them pass away because the system is full, and treatments (for things like cancer) were delayed.  

I'm not against the let it rip theory, but at the same time, you know it's going to overload hospitals, not because omicron is less mild, but because of how fast it can spread.

I really don't want to be the person that gets a bad case of it and the hospital has no room for me :(
  • Options
    Zod said:
    The part I struggle with is overwhelming hospitals.  Maybe it's more of an issue here in Canada as our health are system was already struggling before covid.

Say Omicron is less lethal, but spreads faster.    For arguments say it's 1/2 as lethal.   But if it's 3x more contagious it would still put more pressure on hospitals that are already at capacity.   Lower percentage of people having complications, but more people overall due to big numbers getting infected.

I've already met people or seen them pass away because the system is full, and treatments (for things like cancer) were delayed.  

I'm not against the let it rip theory, but at the same time, you know it's going to overload hospitals, not because omicron is less mild, but because of how fast it can spread.

I really don't want to be the person that gets a bad case of it and the hospital has no room for me :(

Do the hospitals not know it's only a pandemic for the unvaccinated now?  /s
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,955
    My eldest 2 tested positive  just now. And their  unvaxxed mum for a second time. They  are both vaxxed
    I hope they have a swift recovery!

I had to go back and check it wasn't your young kids because omicron sent more young kids into the hospital.

https://www.discovery.co.za/corporate/news-room

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,150
    I just got a notice that all of our county Emergency Rooms are operating on diversion.  Shit is not safe anymore thanks to the unvaccinated.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    Hospitals are filling up here as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    booster next week. 

same. you have choice?

sticking with Pfizer
    here it depends on what your other doses were. since I was AZ/Pfizer, my booster is automatically Pfizer. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.