Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,130
    I also find it interesting that in all this "vaccine resistant" hysteria is that people keep highlighting that without mentioning that other anecdotal evidence points to omicron not being as severe in illness. 

Early clinical reports from South Africa, where omicron was first identified and is spreading widely, offer hope that the variant hasn’t caused as many severe cases or deaths so far
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    there you go. this is where I'm hoping this goes. And where many experts pointed to how this pandemic might reach endemic status; even if it's more contagious, but with lower illness/death, like our current flu. our annual vaccines for that are often 40% effective, but very few people die from it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I also find it interesting that in all this "vaccine resistant" hysteria is that people keep highlighting that without mentioning that other anecdotal evidence points to omicron not being as severe in illness. 

Early clinical reports from South Africa, where omicron was first identified and is spreading widely, offer hope that the variant hasn’t caused as many severe cases or deaths so far
    People only like to point out the negative. Posting positive stories is taboo around here. Only doom and gloom. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

People only like to point out the negative. Posting positive stories is taboo around here. Only doom and gloom. 
    "Drilling for fear makes the job simple."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

Hysteria? Where do you see hysteria here? Stop with the hyperbole.

• Options

Just the flu.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Just the flu.
    I never said that. I’m only pointing out that most people in this thread post negative story after negative story after negative story. There are positives out there. Only doom and gloom makes its way in here.
  • Options
    dignin said:

when I speak I'm not only speaking about our microcosm here. I'm seeing hysteria about it all over the place. calm down. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

when I speak I'm not only speaking about our microcosm here. I'm seeing hysteria about it all over the place. calm down. 
    Not even going to bother with your usual prettiness.

Stay safe.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Just the flu.
    I never said that. I’m only pointing out that most people in this thread post negative story after negative story after negative story. There are positives out there. Only doom and gloom makes its way in here.
    That's just not true.
  • Options
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Stay safe.
    my momma always said I was pretty too, thanks! 

(it wasn't petty, you're just always very quick to accuse with the hyperbole, when it just simply isn't the case)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    And I suppose if that was you not bothering with my "usual pettiness", I guess this is me stating I'm going to ignore your usual passive aggressiveness :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Stay safe.
    my momma always said I was pretty too, thanks! 

(it wasn't petty, you're just always very quick to accuse with the hyperbole, when it just simply isn't the case)
    You so fine you have me flushed.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,975
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/covid-19/report-49-Omicron/

Here is the latest report published today from a London University.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,411
    dankind said:

"Drilling for fear makes the job simple."
    Sowing the seeds of fear work too.

tell a lie or half truth long enough.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    Buckle up.

COVID: Omicron is unstoppable now

Experts in Germany say we're unprepared for the inevitable: Hundreds of thousands of omicron infections per day. That is how infectious the new variant is.

So, that's that: It won't be a Merry Christmas after all.

It's only a matter of time before we're hit by the full force of omicron infections — a case of, "not if, but when." And that when won't take long. That's what three of Germany's top researchers said during a virtual nationwide press briefing Wednesday (15.12.2021).  

Christoph Neumann-Haefelin , an immunologist at the University Medical Center Freiburg, said omicron will likely become the dominant variant of the coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, by mid-January — superseding the delta variant, which until now has been one of the most infectious strains since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

Neumann-Haefelin predicts that infection rates will shoot up dramatically — possibly to hundreds of thousands per day. 

That dark prognosis is based on international data that German researchers have been studying. Take for instance the United Kingdom, where omicron infection rates are doubling every two to three days.

Dirk Brockmann , a physicist at Humboldt University of Berlin, says that's a factor of three-to-four-times higher than infection rates with previous variants.

Experts in the UK estimate new omicron infections could shoot up to as many as 400,000-to-700,000 cases per day.

Infografik COVID-19 Lnder mit Omikron 1412 0830 EN

They think it's possible that 20-34 million people could become infected with omicron between now (December 2021) and April 2022 — that's about half of the UK population — despite reinforced rules on social distancing, medical masks, school closures and more.

"I'd be surprised if we didn't see a similar situation here in Germany," said Brockmann.

Governments must act now

Brockmann says politicians have to act immediately,  setting up emergency plans for a range of scenarios and then putting them into action.

"We have to slow the spread of the virus to limit the damage," according to Brockmann. But, he admits, it will be impossible to stop it outright.   

Germany's experts say communities will have to reduce social contacts and people's movements drastically, similar to what they did in the very first lockdowns.

"But we'll have to do a whole lot more given the speed with which this variant is spreading," Brockmann said.   

At risk even if you're boosted

Omicron is not only more infectious than other variants of the coronavirus, it can also evade our human immune responses — what experts call "immune escape."

That means people who are double jabbed and even those who have had booster shots, can still get infected.

A booster jab will pump up your protection to 70-75% and it will also reduce your risk of a severe infection but that could also lend you a false sense of security, said Sandra Ciesek , director of the Institute of Medical Virology at the University Hospital Frankfurt.

Ciesek said while it was important to get the unvaccinated vaccinated, first jabs would not be enough to fight off omicron.

"It takes many weeks for the immune system to develop a defense," she said. "The virus moves faster than that."

Omicron more dangerous than people think

Ciesek went on to say that omicron was likely to be just as dangerous as other variants of the virus — despite some reports suggesting it may only cause mild infections.

Initial data from the UK and Denmark show that hospitalization rates for people infected with omicron are not much different from those infected with the delta variant.

At the start of the omicron wave, reports from South Africa gave hope that the variant was less dangerous than delta, as many people there experienced only mild infections.

But since then, an increasing number of people infected with omicron have had to be hospitalized. The UK was the first country to report a death with omicron.

Ciesek said it was hard to compare the European situation with that in South Africa, where the population is on average younger, and where many people have had a previous coronavirus infection. 

Health systems may collapse

Experts also warn that if infection rates continue to rise dramatically, health systems may well collapse.

Take, for example, the UK again: Estimated hospitalizations of between 3-5,000 people would put a strain on the "entire machinery," said Brockmann.

Many hospitals are struggling as it is and they won't be able to accept many more patients, especially as more patients mean higher risk of medical personnel getting infected as well.

Brockmann said we could see a cascade of effects, not all of them predictable. So researchers are calling on politicians to act decisively — "Time is running out," said Brockmann.

Ciesek, too, said she felt that Germany was ill-prepared, adding that she was very concerned about the situation. 

Granted, these are worst-case scenarios but the three experts agreed it won't be enough to just hope omicron shows itself to be less dangerous than other variants.

Neumann-Haefelin said such wishful thinking would be akin to "walking into a catastrophe with open eyes." 

https://m.dw.com/en/covid-omicron-is-unstoppable-now/a-60148548

Has this been peer reviewed?
    Peer review what exactly?
    It seems like whenever there is a study showing good news on here everyone comes out of the woodwork talking about how it needs to be peer reviewed.  Conversely whenever a study points to doom and gloom and complete societal collapse people seem to not have that same level of concern for peer reviewal.  The longer this goes on the closer I get to joining the let it rip camp.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    Buckle up.

Experts in Germany say we're unprepared for the inevitable: Hundreds of thousands of omicron infections per day. That is how infectious the new variant is.

It's only a matter of time before we're hit by the full force of omicron infections — a case of, "not if, but when." And that when won't take long. That's what three of Germany's top researchers said during a virtual nationwide press briefing Wednesday (15.12.2021).  

Christoph Neumann-Haefelin , an immunologist at the University Medical Center Freiburg, said omicron will likely become the dominant variant of the coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, by mid-January — superseding the delta variant, which until now has been one of the most infectious strains since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

Neumann-Haefelin predicts that infection rates will shoot up dramatically — possibly to hundreds of thousands per day. 

That dark prognosis is based on international data that German researchers have been studying. Take for instance the United Kingdom, where omicron infection rates are doubling every two to three days.

Dirk Brockmann , a physicist at Humboldt University of Berlin, says that's a factor of three-to-four-times higher than infection rates with previous variants.

Experts in the UK estimate new omicron infections could shoot up to as many as 400,000-to-700,000 cases per day.

They think it's possible that 20-34 million people could become infected with omicron between now (December 2021) and April 2022 — that's about half of the UK population — despite reinforced rules on social distancing, medical masks, school closures and more.

"I'd be surprised if we didn't see a similar situation here in Germany," said Brockmann.

Governments must act now

Brockmann says politicians have to act immediately,  setting up emergency plans for a range of scenarios and then putting them into action.

"We have to slow the spread of the virus to limit the damage," according to Brockmann. But, he admits, it will be impossible to stop it outright.   

Germany's experts say communities will have to reduce social contacts and people's movements drastically, similar to what they did in the very first lockdowns.

"But we'll have to do a whole lot more given the speed with which this variant is spreading," Brockmann said.   

Omicron is not only more infectious than other variants of the coronavirus, it can also evade our human immune responses — what experts call "immune escape."

That means people who are double jabbed and even those who have had booster shots, can still get infected.

A booster jab will pump up your protection to 70-75% and it will also reduce your risk of a severe infection but that could also lend you a false sense of security, said Sandra Ciesek , director of the Institute of Medical Virology at the University Hospital Frankfurt.

Ciesek said while it was important to get the unvaccinated vaccinated, first jabs would not be enough to fight off omicron.

"It takes many weeks for the immune system to develop a defense," she said. "The virus moves faster than that."

Ciesek went on to say that omicron was likely to be just as dangerous as other variants of the virus — despite some reports suggesting it may only cause mild infections.

Initial data from the UK and Denmark show that hospitalization rates for people infected with omicron are not much different from those infected with the delta variant.

At the start of the omicron wave, reports from South Africa gave hope that the variant was less dangerous than delta, as many people there experienced only mild infections.

But since then, an increasing number of people infected with omicron have had to be hospitalized. The UK was the first country to report a death with omicron.

Ciesek said it was hard to compare the European situation with that in South Africa, where the population is on average younger, and where many people have had a previous coronavirus infection. 

Experts also warn that if infection rates continue to rise dramatically, health systems may well collapse.

Take, for example, the UK again: Estimated hospitalizations of between 3-5,000 people would put a strain on the "entire machinery," said Brockmann.

Many hospitals are struggling as it is and they won't be able to accept many more patients, especially as more patients mean higher risk of medical personnel getting infected as well.

Brockmann said we could see a cascade of effects, not all of them predictable. So researchers are calling on politicians to act decisively — "Time is running out," said Brockmann.

Ciesek, too, said she felt that Germany was ill-prepared, adding that she was very concerned about the situation. 

Granted, these are worst-case scenarios but the three experts agreed it won't be enough to just hope omicron shows itself to be less dangerous than other variants.

Neumann-Haefelin said such wishful thinking would be akin to "walking into a catastrophe with open eyes." 

It seems like whenever there is a study showing good news on here everyone comes out of the woodwork talking about how it needs to be peer reviewed.  Conversely whenever a study points to doom and gloom and complete societal collapse people seem to not have that same level of concern for peer reviewal.  The longer this goes on the closer I get to joining the let it rip camp.
    Wasn't a study.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    Buckle up.

Governments must act now

Wasn't a study.
    So it was just a the experts report doom and gloom think piece?
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    Buckle up.

Governments must act now

Wasn't a study.
    I guess that depends on if you even read it?

If you want to go about ignoring leading experts because you don't like their opinions, fine, you are not the intended audience.

But I don't think you really understand how science works if after reading that article you asked if it's peer reviewed.
  • Options
    tish said:
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/covid-19/report-49-Omicron/

Here is the latest report published today from a London University.

Thanks for that.

"Controlling for vaccine status, age, sex, ethnicity, asymptomatic status, region and specimen date and using conditional Poisson regression to predict reinfection status, Omicron was associated with a 5.41 (95% CI: 4.87-6.00) fold higher risk of reinfection compared with Delta. This suggests relatively low remaining levels of immunity from prior infection"
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    ^ It agreed with booster evidence and had a chart showing age of UK infections. High 5-12 and 30/40s, fewer elders, so more severity evidence to come??? Looks like Delta is still the main one in school kids (S+)

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    Buckle up.

Christoph Neumann-Haefe , an immunologist at the University Medical Center Freiburglin, said omicron will likely become the dominant variant of the coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, by mid-January — superseding the delta variant, which until now has been one of the most infectious strains since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

Governments must act now

Wasn't a study.
    I guess that depends on if you even read it?

If you want to go about ignoring leading experts because you don't like their opinions, fine, you are not the intended audience.

But I don't think you really understand how science works if after reading that article you asked if it's peer reviewed.
    You are free to think whatever you would like about my understanding of science or anything else. Thank you for the very predictable pompous reply.  I think you just want to live in fear trapped in your bubble while looking down your nose at those of us that aren't fortunate enough to interact with the world in that way, and maybe deep down you are jealous of people that have a more cavalier attiitude and take more enjoyment out of life, see how that works? .

Yes I did read the fear based article and it seems to point out that experts in Germany predict that infections of Omicron will dramatically rise. So what? We don't know for a fact what the fatality rates of the new variant will be, we don't know how severe the illness will be and how it will effect people of various age groups and sex. I'm not going to jump on the fear bandwagon, when so far all things considered it has certainly not ever been as bad as forecast.

"Germany's experts say communities will have to reduce social contacts and people's movements drastically, similar to what they did in the very first lockdowns."  I just can't wait to follow these leading experts.

Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    CDC projecting 50,000 additional deaths in the US in the next 4 weeks.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    From Omicron or guns?  I kid.  I am assuming covid and those that are unvaxxed?  EDIT:  this is the latest I saw "This week’s national ensemble predicts that the number of newly reported COVID-19 deaths will likely increase over the next 4 weeks, with 8,900 to 15,600 new deaths likely reported in the week ending January 8, 2022" So are they assuming that 8,900 to 15,000 count will be pretty consistent on a week to week basis?
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    From Omicron or guns?  I kid.  I am assuming covid and those that are unvaxxed?  EDIT:  this is the latest I saw "This week’s national ensemble predicts that the number of newly reported COVID-19 deaths will likely increase over the next 4 weeks, with 8,900 to 15,600 new deaths likely reported in the week ending January 8, 2022" So are they assuming that 8,900 to 15,000 count will be pretty consistent on a week to week basis?
    I saw a university email to parents that included a graph with the almost vertical line going from 800k to 850k. I’m assuming 90% of those will be the unvaxxed. Hey, live your life.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I saw a university email to parents that included a graph with the almost vertical line going from 800k to 850k. I’m assuming 90% of those will be the unvaxxed. Hey, live your life.
     this one?  Well it pays to be vaxxed
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    You could be mistaken. The university students are a highly vaccinated crowd. Omicron is breaking through. 3 doses protects best.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    It looks like the UK has ordered the first batch of the revised mRNA vaccinations that will be tailored for omicron.

(Does mental calculation and doubts Canada will have them before April rebookedx3 cruise.)
  • Options
    tish said:
    static111 said:
    You could be mistaken. The university students are a highly vaccinated crowd. Omicron is breaking through. 3 doses protects best.
    It was a CDC graph for the US. The university’s population is 98%+ fully vaccinated with a booster required for spring semester on campus access.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.