How comfortable are you attending a concert??

Comments

• iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Posts: 3,411
    I’m ready today! Indoors, outdoors, don’t care, I’m there!
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    I might never attend another concert again. 

After thinking my whole adult life that live music was as essential as oxygen, I now don’t care if I ever see a live music act going forward.  

It’s a nice spot to be in. It certainly opens up more rural areas for resettlement. And I like that. 

I was always loath to move too far away from any major cities for FOMO regarding concerts, etc. That is no longer a concern I have at all.

Looking back now, all the hassle involved for a few hours of joy is just no longer worth it. I’ve got my own joy to make. 
    This might be the saddest thing I have ever read. I sure hope I never reach that point. 
    Sad to you, maybe. But a very happy realization for me.

As an introvert, this has quite honestly been the happiest time of my life.

I have absolutely no fear of catching the virus nor passing it on to anyone. I simply had some time to reflect, and came to the conclusion that all the anxiety involved with buying tickets, getting a babysitter, getting to the venue in time, being pushed around, having drinks spilled on me, having smoke blown on my face, being able to stay the whole show (as I'm beholden to a train schedule and babysitter's hourly rate) is very unhealthy for me. It interferes with and outweighs the vitality that live music provides. If I could teleport to an empty arena and hear my favorite bands play live, that would be awesome!

Tom Waits, Sade, and Fiona Apple are really the only three artists who could possibly change my mind, but we all know they ain't playing. :lol:
    Completely understand
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,339
    We were at a Local Natives show in 2019 and so many people around us and everyone screaming along the lyrics - it was absolutely cathartic. When PJ started Alive at the WF Center as the 3rd song and it dawned on the crowd they were playing Ten, and everyone in the arena knows every word to every song - an amazing shared experience. I can't WAIT to go back. I still thrive on the memories.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 756
    Fully vaccinated and ready to go
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • JJ42005JJ42005 Posts: 119
    I am ready, vaxxed and i will be wearing a mask.
  • DC29940DC29940 Posts: 661
    I will be ready by the fall to attend all shows again
    While I'm not exactly there today, I just bought tix for an indoor show in Sept. so I'll be ready in the fall for sure.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I have socially distanced shows in June and regular shows in September, October, and November.  I am vaccinated and ready to experience live music again.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,523
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

After thinking my whole adult life that live music was as essential as oxygen, I now don’t care if I ever see a live music act going forward.  

It’s a nice spot to be in. It certainly opens up more rural areas for resettlement. And I like that. 

I was always loath to move too far away from any major cities for FOMO regarding concerts, etc. That is no longer a concern I have at all.

Looking back now, all the hassle involved for a few hours of joy is just no longer worth it. I’ve got my own joy to make. 
    This might be the saddest thing I have ever read. I sure hope I never reach that point. 

I have absolutely no fear of catching the virus nor passing it on to anyone. I simply had some time to reflect, and came to the conclusion that all the anxiety involved with buying tickets, getting a babysitter, getting to the venue in time, being pushed around, having drinks spilled on me, having smoke blown on my face, being able to stay the whole show (as I'm beholden to a train schedule and babysitter's hourly rate) is very unhealthy for me. It interferes with and outweighs the vitality that live music provides. If I could teleport to an empty arena and hear my favorite bands play live, that would be awesome!

Tom Waits, Sade, and Fiona Apple are really the only three artists who could possibly change my mind, but we all know they ain't playing. :lol:
    My wife and I often feel similar.  We live on an Island so it's a mission to go to concerts.  Driving/Ferry/Driving/Hotel, then back home.  Plus we like to be close, so there's getting there early, lineup, getting a good spot, wait....  All the effort that goes into getting good tickets.... The best part of the road trip, and watching the show.   Once the music starts you forget everythign you had to do to get there :)

I can totally identity with the "how awesome would it be if I could teleport into the venue a few minutes before the band hit the stage" kind of thing.

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,264
    Right now? Not comfortable at all. Maybe things will get better this Fall. 
  • blindmuleblindmule Posts: 138
    I am ready! I just saw Gov’t Mule a couple of weeks ago in CT and had a great time. It was weird at first but then felt normal again. I plan to see Phish this summer as well. I’m vaccinated and cautious and a mask wearer but I need some live music so I’ll do whatever it takes.
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    Got the J&J vax today.  Tested positive back in January (few symptoms).  Ready to get back out there, literally dreaming of live music.  Had a dream recently I was at a Chris Cornell solo show.  Seemed so real, so vivid, so bummed to wake up.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Completely understand
    Editing to add John Frusciante to the list above. Sad thing is that one looked like it might actually happen in the beforetimes. (I was in the process of buying a Boston Calling single for RHCP night, thinking, “You know what? He might decide to bail again after this crowd :lol: ) Anyway, I’ll be at that show if it happens near me. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I will only be comfortable with Outdoor shows by the fall
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Need more people vaccinated before I am fully ready.   I would not be comfortable with an indoor concert now, but outdoors, maybe, with masks. 

Come fall?  depends on how many more people get their vaccinations. To be honest, that is what is holding back most of the economy.  

GO GET YOUR VAX!!!  (But all that said, if we get 70-80% vaxxed, let 'er rip)
    Agree 100%, need stats on vaccinations before making final decision to attend. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    dankind said:

This was an honest post by a human being, who are you to call this persons reply sad???  "I sure hope" this forum is still around when your priorities change, because they will.  
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,501
    I don’t see myself attending a concert of any sorts in the near future
    dankind said:

I feel exactly the same
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    edited May 2021
    dankind said:

This was an honest post by a human being, who are you to call this persons reply sad???  "I sure hope" this forum is still around when your priorities change, because they will.  
    Relax. It wasn’t a slight at him, just a personal reaction. I can’t imagine not caring about ever seeing live music again. They are not a sad person by any means for that take and I hope it wasn’t taken that way. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    I'm in NZ. Been going to rugby games with tens of thousands already. Had 50k at an Auckland gig the other week. Come and quarantine and we'll be ready to rock in two weeks 😉
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

I just think I personally will need time ( hope everyone else has a blast this summer if you go to a show ) I am fully vaxxed but this has just done a lot damage to someone with an already existing anxiety disorder.

I am hopeful that I will feel better about it come the fall.  

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,401
    Never stopped being ready.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,126
    I didn't like crowds to begin with. Getting used to them again will take some time. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    Matts3221 said:

I just think I personally will need time ( hope everyone else has a blast this summer if you go to a show ) I am fully vaxxed but this has just done a lot damage to someone with an already existing anxiety disorder.

I am hopeful that I will feel better about it come the fall.  

Anxiety is a bitch. Wishing you well. 

Also kindly suggesting CBT and/or the Feeling Good book. Really helped me deal with my anxiety.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,668
    dankind said:

Does this apply to sporting events as well? Or are you more comfortable sitting at Fenway for the Sox than being at a concert?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,705
    Yesterday I bought tickets to see the 49ers play the Bengals in Cincinnati Dec 12th. I think hypothermia might be a bigger concern than COVID for me that day. 
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

Does this apply to sporting events as well? Or are you more comfortable sitting at Fenway for the Sox than being at a concert?
    So weird. I just texted some friends saying that I'm still holding onto my Sox tickets for now. (I just upgraded my seats before the pandemic hit!) It's less of a hassle, but it's still a hassle.

I'll see what a few games feel like after my son's little league season ends. If I get too frustrated by just trying to enjoy myself, then I'll know it's not worth it. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,816
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

So weird. I just texted some friends saying that I'm still holding onto my Sox tickets for now. (I just upgraded my seats before the pandemic hit!) It's less of a hassle, but it's still a hassle.

I'll see what a few games feel like after my son's little league season ends. If I get too frustrated by just trying to enjoy myself, then I'll know it's not worth it. 
    I was at the Red Sox game last night.  The "pods" didn't really feel like pods.  We had people sitting directly in front and behind us and basically no one had their mask on while seated.  It didn't bother me but i thought I would share my experience.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
    edited May 2021
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

I was at the Red Sox game last night.  The "pods" didn't really feel like pods.  We had people sitting directly in front and behind us and basically no one had their mask on while seated.  It didn't bother me but i thought I would share my experience.
    I would LOVE to go while there are still pods, but I've had to let those tickets go because of dad conflicts. My son went from doing barely anything to having school every day as well as some kind of activity every day after school. My daughter goes to school every day, but she still gets to laze around most days until her hockey season starts in earnest. (As any hockey parent/player knows, hockey season is never really over; it just slows down to one or two days a week in the summer instead of four to six days a week.)
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,101
    I don’t see myself attending a concert of any sorts in the near future
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

I would LOVE to go while there are still pods, but I've had to let those tickets go because of dad conflicts. My son went from doing barely anything to having school every day as well as some kind of activity every day after school. My daughter goes to school every day, but she still gets to laze around most days until her hockey season start in earnest. (As any hockey parent/player knows, hockey season is never really over; it just slows down to one or two days a week in the summer instead of four to six days a week.)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jamofpearlsjamofpearls Posts: 347
    I'm fully vax'd but I'm waiting for outdoor only. 
    98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville
    Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

I would LOVE to go while there are still pods, but I've had to let those tickets go because of dad conflicts. My son went from doing barely anything to having school every day as well as some kind of activity every day after school. My daughter goes to school every day, but she still gets to laze around most days until her hockey season start in earnest. (As any hockey parent/player knows, hockey season is never really over; it just slows down to one or two days a week in the summer instead of four to six days a week.)

:lol:

I can't wait until she's old enough to watch those clowns. Just as long as she doesn't skip leg day to do it!

FUCKING EMBARRASSING!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,265
    Now that vaccines are available for anyone who wants it, at least in my state, I'm ready for a lot less restrictions. I didn't feel this way just a month or two ago. 
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    i want to fly to maui for a week before i even start to think about seeing live music. maybe this fall inside with a mask for live music.