Options

Cancelled!

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,424
    mickeyrat said:
    Ouch. I’m not sure though, are we supposed to cancel Conan because he knew and did nothing (although he calls him out publicly in the clip, which is probably more than others did)?

Things have gotten so confusing (as I believe I’ve mentioned before), but in this case not everyone can be Brad Pitt punching Weinstein in the face, so I don’t personally think Conan deserves any scorn here.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,023
    mickeyrat said:
    Ouch. I’m not sure though, are we supposed to cancel Conan because he knew and did nothing (although he calls him out publicly in the clip, which is probably more than others did)?

Things have gotten so confusing (as I believe I’ve mentioned before), but in this case not everyone can be Brad Pitt punching Weinstein in the face, so I don’t personally think Conan deserves any scorn here.
    Was this not a joke? That's how I took it. Doesn't seem like Conan knew, was just making a joke about his other balls comment.
    I knew Danny was taken off The Ranch for some allegations, had no idea they were this serious or he was on trial. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,932
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Was this not a joke? That's how I took it. Doesn't seem like Conan knew, was just making a joke about his other balls comment.
    I knew Danny was taken off The Ranch for some allegations, had no idea they were this serious or he was on trial. 

1st ended in mistrial. scientology fuckery saw to that
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    Yeah it has been ongoing for a long time.  Danny is a giant fucking piece o shit.
    Hope he gets the rape while in jail.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,424
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Completely agree that it was probably just a joke, it does fit with Conan’s overall style as well.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Definitely. I don't think anyone was supposed to think Conan actually knew anything. Conan's jokes, as it turned out, were more reality based than he could have known.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    With all the shit going on the the world, two AMT threads focused on a rapist? 
    Kind of embarrassing here sometimes. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    Well, this is a cancelled thread and the rapist came up.  Sorry if this is embarrassing to you.  The good news is that you always can create topics about all of this shit going on in the world (on a rock band fan club website) and discuss with others who find those topics interesting and something they want to discuss.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    30 years. wow
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    They should throw away the key on rapers
    Cancel, for life.

• Options
    Well, this is a cancelled thread and the rapist came up.  Sorry if this is embarrassing to you.  The good news is that you always can create topics about all of this shit going on in the world (on a rock band fan club website) and discuss with others who find those topics interesting and something they want to discuss.

You are too kind...and a bit too snarky on a personal level.  See ya!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

I just dont get the judgement.  Is there a list of topics that are not embarrassing to you that should be posted on here at the Pearl Jam Fan Club Message Board?
    I do agree that the world is messed up, just not how anything posted here impacts that.

Anyway, have a great day

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    brianlux said:

To be less snarky, we have a fairly unregulated/unregimented community here* and the topic fit within two threads (perhaps a bit loosely in the case of this thread). I'd add that I find a fairly famous person getting 30 years for two sexual assaults to be a big deal given the history of under-punishment for that crime. Given those points, while there is lots going on in the world, I don't find this story appearing in two threads to be at all embarrising.

*I am on only one other message board, where stuff like this is nipped in the bud and I think it's kinda annoying.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I just dont get the judgement.  Is there a list of topics that are not embarrassing to you that should be posted on here at the Pearl Jam Fan Club Message Board?
    I do agree that the world is messed up, just not how anything posted here impacts that.

Anyway, have a great day

Dude, first of all it was a general statement not directed at you.  It just seems lame to me that with all the really important shit that's going on in the world, that here on AMT there are two threads about a sensationalist story.  AMT is supposedly a place to discuss current events and politics and so often this kind of story seems to get a lot more traction than the kind of subject that more directly affects our lives.  Environment, for example, is really low on the radar here and in the long run, that is a subject that that will affect us all at least as much, if not more than anything else.  It's odd to me that so often AMT is more like a check out line tabloid than a place for more serious discussion.

But look, here's the deal, if people here want to focus on sensationalist stuff more than pertinent subjects, that's not up to me.  I don't run the joint.  I don't even get on this forum section nearly as often as I used to.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I found it interesting as I wouldn't have guessed he was facing 30 years. Not that I feel bad, but 30 years for rape seems like a lot when I see cases for murder getting a lot less.
    My wife and I watch those true Crome shows all the time. Doesn't seem uncommon for someone to get something like 7 years for murder.

I also find it interesting to hear when a celeb is a big PJ fan. Less interesting when they turn out to be a rapist though. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    I found it interesting as I wouldn't have guessed he was facing 30 years. Not that I feel bad, but 30 years for rape seems like a lot when I see cases for murder getting a lot less.
    My wife and I watch those true Crome shows all the time. Doesn't seem uncommon for someone to get something like 7 years for murder.

I also find it interesting to hear when a celeb is a big PJ fan. Less interesting when they turn out to be a rapist though. 
    I'm a little surprised by the conviction. I'm not sure there were any witnesses or evidence other than testimony from the alleged victims. That's more than enough to win a civil case, but usually not a criminal charge. I think the "church" of Scientology's meddling might've helped sway the jury. The victims went to "church" leaders and were not taken seriously, and he was protected by them. 

As for him being a PJ fan, I remember reading a TV Guide in the late 90's where That 70's Show was being featured and he said something along the lines of "always wanting to be like Eddie Vedder." I used find that sort of thing interesting too, as a teenager. But now, unless it's new music, a vault release, or tour announcement, I don't care about anything Pearl Jam-related, especially what celebrities like them. But at the time reading that TV Guide, I was definitely like "Whoa, cool. Hyde likes Pearl Jam too!" 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Well, that illustrates my point.  Rape is a very serious subject and certainly is a pertinent one to fall under the category of current events.  But if we're honest about it, this story would not be on the radar here if the guy was just yet another rapist and not the Pearl Jam and TV personality that he is.  The same can be said about most true crime stories.  Those stories are about sensationalism and vicarious thrills, not serious discussion about pertinent matters.  That is the point I was trying to make.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Anyway, have a great day

Dude, first of all it was a general statement not directed at you.  It just seems lame to me that with all the really important shit that's going on in the world, that here on AMT there are two threads about a sensationalist story.  AMT is supposedly a place to discuss current events and politics and so often this kind of story seems to get a lot more traction than the kind of subject that more directly affects our lives.  Environment, for example, is really low on the radar here and in the long run, that is a subject that that will affect us all at least as much, if not more than anything else.  It's odd to me that so often AMT is more like a check out line tabloid than a place for more serious discussion.

But look, here's the deal, if people here want to focus on sensationalist stuff more than pertinent subjects, that's not up to me.  I don't run the joint.  I don't even get on this forum section nearly as often as I used to.

I got the point you were making, and certainly didn't and don't take it personally.  
    It is a current event.  I understand you feel these sexual assaults and related punishments are sensational, impertinent, and less impactful than current environmental issues.   
    I don't have much of an opinion on that comparison but I do feel that Masterson should burn for being a raper and find it good that he is now cancelled from society.

**edit - I see your post, above, where you clarify.   So you find the story sensationalist because the offender is an actor.  I get that.
    I think that he is a PJ super fan makes it very pertinent for this particular website

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Well, that illustrates my point.  Rape is a very serious subject and certainly is a pertinent one to fall under the category of current events.  But if we're honest about it, this story would not be on the radar here if the guy was just yet another rapist and not the Pearl Jam and TV personality that he is.  The same can be said about most true crime stories.  Those stories are about sensationalism and vicarious thrills, not serious discussion about pertinent matters.  That is the point I was trying to make.
    I've only heard about it on here and I am a little surprised. I mean, we usually get mug shots and even news when a celeb gets a DUI. Bill Cosby was headline news for months. I know he's nowhere near the status of Cosby, but if it wasn't for this thread I'd have no idea, and that does surprise me a little. Thought there'd be more news about an actor getting 30 years in prison, PJ fan or not.
  • Options
    I'm not here to judge, just to express my own thoughts.  Carry on folks, I'll stay out of it from here.

• Options
    I think it's good when someone high profile gets caught and gets properly punished. if it stops one sick fuck from doing the same, then I'm all for discussing it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    This does not surprise me at all.  KP’s lyrics are very telling.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I'm a little surprised by the conviction. I'm not sure there were any witnesses or evidence other than testimony from the alleged victims. That's more than enough to win a civil case, but usually not a criminal charge. I think the "church" of Scientology's meddling might've helped sway the jury. The victims went to "church" leaders and were not taken seriously, and he was protected by them. 

As for him being a PJ fan, I remember reading a TV Guide in the late 90's where That 70's Show was being featured and he said something along the lines of "always wanting to be like Eddie Vedder." I used find that sort of thing interesting too, as a teenager. But now, unless it's new music, a vault release, or tour announcement, I don't care about anything Pearl Jam-related, especially what celebrities like them. But at the time reading that TV Guide, I was definitely like "Whoa, cool. Hyde likes Pearl Jam too!" 

From what I’ve read, there was no toxicology or any other physical evidence at the trial, which is surprising given the allegation was that he drugged the victims. Also concerning was that the jury did not believe one of the accusers since he wasn’t convicted of all three counts, as well as, iirc, one was a former girlfriend and another was current girlfriend at the time the incident occurred.

The threshold in a criminal trial is supposed to be beyond doubt, without corroborating physical evidence, I am unsure how juries get there.
  • Options
    KP?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,836
    KP?
    Katy Perry. His ex wife. Exes usually have nothing but great things to say …. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

From what I’ve read, there was no toxicology or any other physical evidence at the trial, which is surprising given the allegation was that he drugged the victims. Also concerning was that the jury did not believe one of the accusers since he wasn’t convicted of all three counts, as well as, iirc, one was a former girlfriend and another was current girlfriend at the time the incident occurred.

The threshold in a criminal trial is supposed to be beyond doubt, without corroborating physical evidence, I am unsure how juries get there.
    In rape trials, I’m going to guess it’s the norm, not the exception, if there’s mo physical evidence. I think it mostly depends on the believability of the victim; does she have any motive to lie? If multiple victims, is there a clear pattern the accused follows in his crime that the victims disclosed to police without knowing each other? That’s why convictions are rare with rape. If it goes to trial at all. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    KP?
    Katy Perry. His ex wife. Exes usually have nothing but great things to say …. 
    😂 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,932
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

In rape trials, I’m going to guess it’s the norm, not the exception, if there’s mo physical evidence. I think it mostly depends on the believability of the victim; does she have any motive to lie? If multiple victims, is there a clear pattern the accused follows in his crime that the victims disclosed to police without knowing each other? That’s why convictions are rare with rape. If it goes to trial at all. 

I think victims here are also suing the church, which has very deep pockets. If that’s motive to stretch out the facts I’m not sure. I hope the jury was correct in this case.