Options

Cleveland Indians to drop "Indians" from team name after 105 years

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,694
    i just don't get how people can be more upset about a team name than the hurt it causes a massive group of people that have been oppressed and mocked for hundreds of years. it's not even close. 
    Lot of assumptions here.  Who said anything about being upset about the Indians name being removed.  I continue to focus on the word Tribe, and I continue to say it's not racist.  Yes it's cultural appropriation, but again, there are a million things in our culture that are the same.  And if I'm not upset, then certainly I'm not more upset than the hurt you are saying it caused. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,866
    mrussel1 said:
    i just don't get how people can be more upset about a team name than the hurt it causes a massive group of people that have been oppressed and mocked for hundreds of years. it's not even close. 
    Lot of assumptions here.  Who said anything about being upset about the Indians name being removed.  I continue to focus on the word Tribe, and I continue to say it's not racist.  Yes it's cultural appropriation, but again, there are a million things in our culture that are the same.  And if I'm not upset, then certainly I'm not more upset than the hurt you are saying it caused. 
    this was a general comment, and hence you were not quoted. there are a LOT of people upset with it. whether you fall into that category or not. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Ohio branch of AIM has been requesting a name change since the 1970's. See? They were listened to. Personally, I like the Cleveland Spiders. That logo is awesome.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,257
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    As the most die hard Indians fan that you'll meet (except of course John Adams who lugs the drum into every game), I'm okay with the name changing at this point.  I don't like the Spiders, the Naps, or any of the old names.  I'd go with the Tribe. That would create continuity and the reality is, no fan is ever going to stop saying "Hey, when's the Tribe on tonight?".  They are the Tribe and they play at the Jake.  It's that simple.  
    As an aside, the College of William and Mary changed their name a number of years ago to the Tribe, for the same reason.  Works fine down here. 

I feel like teams that make this change are going to make a far bigger departure from native names than this. "Tribe" isn't much better than "Indians."  I see some people suggest Washington Warriors and while that's not as grotesque as their previous name, it seems like the smart move it to just move totally away from that and make sure not to be going through this same thing in ten years.
    I agree with this.  "Tribe" still opens the door to all sorts of Native American characterization and such.  If they are doing such a major move as renaming a 120 year old sports team, they are going to make sure they are well out of the crosshairs.
    Would Native Americans take offense to the word "tribe" under any circumstances?  I'm thinking through this and don't see how it could be perceived as offensive or characterizing.  I think it is factual that Native Americans were often times part of tribes that they took great pride in being a part of.  It would seem more of a badge of honor than a negative connotation.  I'm the furthest thing from an expert on Native American history, but much of this we learned at a very young age.  I'm just missing the potential negative fallout from a move like that.

Its about continuing to profit off the characterization of a race of people who seem to be making it clear that they are not comfortable with this stuff.  i dont know if they will take as much offense or not.  Im sure some people will.  Maybe "Tribe" will be considered over-the-line in 15 years?   
    You know fans will come dressed in head dresses.  Maybe bring foam tomahawks, gotta be careful what is depicted on merchandise, etc...  It will still keep the door open for Chief Wahoo.   Would people just call them the "Indians" like they currently call them the "Tribe"?  

Tribe also leaves them where they are now for branding, which is kind of a purgatory/nowhere to go.  I sense the team would like a clean break from anything Native American so they can sell merch and create sharper looking uniforms
    I think this would be the biggest reason to move past Tribe. What the hell do you even use as the image for your brand? It's dead in the water and the only purpose seems to be a nostalgic shout out to the previous name. They need a fresh start that sounds good, looks good and sells. This is a big opportunity that most franchises don't get so they should spend a lot of time and money getting this right. If they do, they'll sell a ton of merch to their fan base and anyone who just thinks it looks good.

I loved that mid-90's Cleveland team and was rooting for them to win the WS, even as a MN fan whose team had gone in the dumper in the middle of that decade. I had a t-shirt and a baseball cap that I wore all the time. It replaced my Michigan hat after someone stole it.
    These are easy things for you to say when it isn't your team.  
    I respectfully disagree, but only because I'm not invested in a team name that means nothing to me and has no personal tie.

I mean, as a Minnesotan, I understand team name changes. We went from MN Northstars to Wild. Besides thinking it's not a very good name, I really don't care they they changed it and wouldn't if they changed any of the other MN team names; however, I do think timberwolves was a slam dunk of a name. Vikings is good too, but could end up being an issue based on it being about people that didn't exactly exemplify humanitarianism.

I'm probably the wrong person to have this conversation with because name changes aren't something that I'm very invested in. If they wanted to change the name of our country or states, I wouldn't be opposed.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    As the most die hard Indians fan that you'll meet (except of course John Adams who lugs the drum into every game), I'm okay with the name changing at this point.  I don't like the Spiders, the Naps, or any of the old names.  I'd go with the Tribe. That would create continuity and the reality is, no fan is ever going to stop saying "Hey, when's the Tribe on tonight?".  They are the Tribe and they play at the Jake.  It's that simple.  
    As an aside, the College of William and Mary changed their name a number of years ago to the Tribe, for the same reason.  Works fine down here. 

I feel like teams that make this change are going to make a far bigger departure from native names than this. "Tribe" isn't much better than "Indians."  I see some people suggest Washington Warriors and while that's not as grotesque as their previous name, it seems like the smart move it to just move totally away from that and make sure not to be going through this same thing in ten years.
    I agree with this.  "Tribe" still opens the door to all sorts of Native American characterization and such.  If they are doing such a major move as renaming a 120 year old sports team, they are going to make sure they are well out of the crosshairs.
    Would Native Americans take offense to the word "tribe" under any circumstances?  I'm thinking through this and don't see how it could be perceived as offensive or characterizing.  I think it is factual that Native Americans were often times part of tribes that they took great pride in being a part of.  It would seem more of a badge of honor than a negative connotation.  I'm the furthest thing from an expert on Native American history, but much of this we learned at a very young age.  I'm just missing the potential negative fallout from a move like that.

Its about continuing to profit off the characterization of a race of people who seem to be making it clear that they are not comfortable with this stuff.  i dont know if they will take as much offense or not.  Im sure some people will.  Maybe "Tribe" will be considered over-the-line in 15 years?   
    You know fans will come dressed in head dresses.  Maybe bring foam tomahawks, gotta be careful what is depicted on merchandise, etc...  It will still keep the door open for Chief Wahoo.   Would people just call them the "Indians" like they currently call them the "Tribe"?  

Tribe also leaves them where they are now for branding, which is kind of a purgatory/nowhere to go.  I sense the team would like a clean break from anything Native American so they can sell merch and create sharper looking uniforms
    I think this would be the biggest reason to move past Tribe. What the hell do you even use as the image for your brand? It's dead in the water and the only purpose seems to be a nostalgic shout out to the previous name. They need a fresh start that sounds good, looks good and sells. This is a big opportunity that most franchises don't get so they should spend a lot of time and money getting this right. If they do, they'll sell a ton of merch to their fan base and anyone who just thinks it looks good.

I loved that mid-90's Cleveland team and was rooting for them to win the WS, even as a MN fan whose team had gone in the dumper in the middle of that decade. I had a t-shirt and a baseball cap that I wore all the time. It replaced my Michigan hat after someone stole it.
    These are easy things for you to say when it isn't your team.  
    I respectfully disagree, but only because I'm not invested in a team name that means nothing to me and has no personal tie.

I mean, as a Minnesotan, I understand team name changes. We went from MN Northstars to Wild. Besides thinking it's not a very good name, I really don't care they they changed it and wouldn't if they changed any of the other MN team names; however, I do think timberwolves was a slam dunk of a name. Vikings is good too, but could end up being an issue based on it being about people that didn't exactly exemplify humanitarianism.

I'm probably the wrong person to have this conversation with because name changes aren't something that I'm very invested in. If they wanted to change the name of our country or states, I wouldn't be opposed.
    Disunited States of Trumpistan?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    edited December 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    "Tribe" might not be offensive if the team wasn't already connected to a native american culturally insensitive name. to me that sounds like "Indians Light". 

and let's be honest, when anyone says the word "tribe", literally zero people get a picture of a group of white people in their head. 
    I don't think that's true at all. A tribe is a word that yes, is Native American in nature, but is used in all sorts of contexts of a group of people with a common set of beliefs, or whatever.  Just like the Strangest Tribe.  To say that literally zero think of white people is kind of silly.  When I say Tribe, I think about Cleveland baseball fans, my fellow fans.  I don't think about Native Americans or anything else.  

That could be true, but to me, when I hear a white person use the word "tribe", the concept of cultural appropriation pops into  my head.  My step daughter, wonderful, bright, marvelous person that she is, occasionally uses the word "tribe" to describe her circle of friends and every time she does I think it sounds awkward at best.  For one thing, her "tribe", a great bunch of people though they may be, do not fit the definition of tribe...

"a social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader"

...because they are an eclectic group that does not fit that definition.  

There is a modern usage of the term "tribe" with it's own contemporary definition, but that word, used that way, must honestly and unarguably be described as an example of cultural appropriation.  It then becomes an issue how how one feels about cultural appropriation.  Personal, I don't dig it.

So when a white kid wears Air Jordan's and a flat cap,  is that wrong? It's cultural appropriation by the very definition.  What about when you break dance or play some jazz on your sax. Where's the line between respect and damage?

Other than traditional costume, I don't think there is a well defined cultural affiliation with clothing.  I will say, at best it looks a bit embarrassing and silly when a rocker like Dee Dee Ramone dresses like a rapper. 

Mixed race jazz bands go back a long way and few black jazz musicians today or in the past have had strong objections to white musicians playing jazz.  On the other hand, some will strongly object to white jazz musicians being given better opportunity or recognition for the music.  For example, in the early 70's I took a jazz appreciation class at San Francisco state under the tutelage of black recording jazz artist John Handy.  John told us that in many circles, big band jazz was often attributed to white bands like the Glenn Miller Orchestra or Tommy Dorsey's band, etc.  Handy did not object to these bands playing jazz music, but he did object to the fact that they were given credit for creating music that was originally created by and better written and performed  black jazz bands-  orchestras led by the likes of Duke Ellington and Count Basie.  Those white bands were also paid better and given better accommodations. Handy and most other black performers argued rightly that racism was an obvious component in how the music was received and rewarded, but there was no mention of cultural appropriation in white bands playing jazz.  And some of the greatest jazz musicians have had integrated jazz band from Louis Armstrong to Charlie Parker hiring Red Rodney (and having to claim Rodney was an albino black in order to play in some clubs) to Mile Davis working with white musicians.

So of course cultural appropriation is not a factor in jazz.  But racism certainly has been.
    What you just described is cultural appropriation, isn't it?  Just because it went deep into racism doesn't mean it wasn't appropriation. 

Well, but not really, but only because Jazz, though primarily black music, is also American music.  An though it was formed by African Americans, as truly American music, it makes sense that it would become inclusive of other cultures while being acknowledged as having originally been created by African Americans.  And again, it was mainly black jazz musicians who made the move to have integrated bands and their intentional inclusion of white musicians into the music removes it from cultural appropriation.  You won't find Native Americans encouraging whites to join in on Ghost Dancing. 

And I would say traditional music from specific places and times- like, say- Lakota Native American Ghost dance chanting-  is really the only music that could be culturally appropriated.  Jazz and blues have been more evolutionary and broadly inclusive in nature.
    I'm making the point that cultural app is totally common in our country,  from music,  to dress to language.  We used to call it a melting pot of cultures but now it seems to be a negative thing. 

I'm good with the idea of incorporating ideas in music, dress or whatever as long as it is approved of by all concerned.  But if something specific to a group or culture is appropriated without consent of that culture or group, I would say that is an egregious act of cultural theft, aka cultural appropriation.
    Brian - so I'm not trying to pick you apart, but what does that mean?  The whole culture has to unanimously agree?  Does there have to a vote?  Surely some Black people were uncomfortable with the success of the Beastie Boys.  Should I ditch the records, should they be removed from the HOF, should their records come off the shelf?  The bar you set is unachievable.  How does a culture provide consent?

Pick away,  ¡No problemo!*
    Not the whole culture, but the majority.
    No vote needed- they speak for themselves.
    Black and Beasties? I don't know enough about rap or hip-hop to speak on that subject.
    Unreachable?  I don't think so.  Just listen to what the people have to say.

*Analyze that one!  Is my use of Spanish a form of cultural appropriation?  I don't know for sure.  We have a lot of Hispanic people in our neck of the woods and  I've heard Spanish spoken around me all my life.  When I order tacos from Santa Maria Taqueria, I inevitably use some Spanish without really thinking about it.  Am I part Hispanic?  Nope!  Has any Hispanic person ever asked me to not use Spanish?  Nope!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    "Tribe" might not be offensive if the team wasn't already connected to a native american culturally insensitive name. to me that sounds like "Indians Light". 

and let's be honest, when anyone says the word "tribe", literally zero people get a picture of a group of white people in their head. 
    I don't think that's true at all. A tribe is a word that yes, is Native American in nature, but is used in all sorts of contexts of a group of people with a common set of beliefs, or whatever.  Just like the Strangest Tribe.  To say that literally zero think of white people is kind of silly.  When I say Tribe, I think about Cleveland baseball fans, my fellow fans.  I don't think about Native Americans or anything else.  

That could be true, but to me, when I hear a white person use the word "tribe", the concept of cultural appropriation pops into  my head.  My step daughter, wonderful, bright, marvelous person that she is, occasionally uses the word "tribe" to describe her circle of friends and every time she does I think it sounds awkward at best.  For one thing, her "tribe", a great bunch of people though they may be, do not fit the definition of tribe...

"a social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader"

There is a modern usage of the term "tribe" with it's own contemporary definition, but that word, used that way, must honestly and unarguably be described as an example of cultural appropriation.  It then becomes an issue how how one feels about cultural appropriation.  Personal, I don't dig it.

So when a white kid wears Air Jordan's and a flat cap,  is that wrong? It's cultural appropriation by the very definition.  What about when you break dance or play some jazz on your sax. Where's the line between respect and damage?

Other than traditional costume, I don't think there is a well defined cultural affiliation with clothing.  I will say, at best it looks a bit embarrassing and silly when a rocker like Dee Dee Ramone dresses like a rapper. 

Mixed race jazz bands go back a long way and few black jazz musicians today or in the past have had strong objections to white musicians playing jazz.  On the other hand, some will strongly object to white jazz musicians being given better opportunity or recognition for the music.  For example, in the early 70's I took a jazz appreciation class at San Francisco state under the tutelage of black recording jazz artist John Handy.  John told us that in many circles, big band jazz was often attributed to white bands like the Glenn Miller Orchestra or Tommy Dorsey's band, etc.  Handy did not object to these bands playing jazz music, but he did object to the fact that they were given credit for creating music that was originally created by and better written and performed  black jazz bands-  orchestras led by the likes of Duke Ellington and Count Basie.  Those white bands were also paid better and given better accommodations. Handy and most other black performers argued rightly that racism was an obvious component in how the music was received and rewarded, but there was no mention of cultural appropriation in white bands playing jazz.  And some of the greatest jazz musicians have had integrated jazz band from Louis Armstrong to Charlie Parker hiring Red Rodney (and having to claim Rodney was an albino black in order to play in some clubs) to Mile Davis working with white musicians.

So of course cultural appropriation is not a factor in jazz.  But racism certainly has been.
    What you just described is cultural appropriation, isn't it?  Just because it went deep into racism doesn't mean it wasn't appropriation. 

Well, but not really, but only because Jazz, though primarily black music, is also American music.  An though it was formed by African Americans, as truly American music, it makes sense that it would become inclusive of other cultures while being acknowledged as having originally been created by African Americans.  And again, it was mainly black jazz musicians who made the move to have integrated bands and their intentional inclusion of white musicians into the music removes it from cultural appropriation.  You won't find Native Americans encouraging whites to join in on Ghost Dancing. 

And I would say traditional music from specific places and times- like, say- Lakota Native American Ghost dance chanting-  is really the only music that could be culturally appropriated.  Jazz and blues have been more evolutionary and broadly inclusive in nature.
    I'm making the point that cultural app is totally common in our country,  from music,  to dress to language.  We used to call it a melting pot of cultures but now it seems to be a negative thing. 

I'm good with the idea of incorporating ideas in music, dress or whatever as long as it is approved of by all concerned.  But if something specific to a group or culture is appropriated without consent of that culture or group, I would say that is an egregious act of cultural theft, aka cultural appropriation.
    Brian - so I'm not trying to pick you apart, but what does that mean?  The whole culture has to unanimously agree?  Does there have to a vote?  Surely some Black people were uncomfortable with the success of the Beastie Boys.  Should I ditch the records, should they be removed from the HOF, should their records come off the shelf?  The bar you set is unachievable.  How does a culture provide consent?

Black and Beasties? I don't know enough about rap or hip-hop to speak on that subject.

*Analyze that one!  Is my use of Spanish a form of cultural appropriation?  I don't know for sure.  We have a lot of Hispanic people in our neck of the woods and  I've heard Spanish spoken around me all my life.  When I order tacos from Santa Maria Taqueria, I inevitably use some Spanish without really thinking about it.  Am I part Hispanic?  Nope!  Has any Hispanic person ever asked me to not use Spanish?  Nope!

What if one did, would you stop using it forever?  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Context? But have you, your race, your belonging, ever been caricatured, ridiculed, been made fun of and denied all the righteous rights of a supposed “constitution?” And dismissed when offended by the caricature but more importantly, the history? Sure you have.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Context? But have you, your race, your belonging, ever been caricatured, ridiculed, been made fun of and denied all the righteous rights of a supposed “constitution?” And dismissed when offended by the caricature but more importantly, the history? Sure you have.
    *Jew waving hand*

;)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    edited December 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

¿Estas loco en la cabeza?  ¡No me tomes el pelo!  Eso no pasaría.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:
    Aren't the Beastie Boys millionaires because of cultural appropriation?
    I can't understand why they are millionaires at all.  Cultural appropriation aside, I always thought bleeding from the ears was a bad thing, and somehow they built a career around inducing nausea and bleeding from the ears...it's incomprehensible!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Read the whole discussion for context.  It's pretty clear that I'm trying to understand and draw distinction regarding melting pot and appropriation.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

¿Estas loco en la cabeza?  ¡No me tomes el pelo!  Eso no pasaría.

Je parle Francais, pas de Espanol.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I can't understand why they are millionaires at all.  Cultural appropriation aside, I always thought bleeding from the ears was a bad thing, and somehow they built a career around inducing nausea and bleeding from the ears...it's incomprehensible!
    Hahaha.  I was wondering if you would stop by for this.  You, sir, are wrong!  Beastie Boys were great.  

Oh, and only people who fail to understand why the name Indians should be changed would suggest The Tribe is a name that would be a good replacement.  This is a very strange discussion.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hahaha.  I was wondering if you would stop by for this.  You, sir, are wrong!  Beastie Boys were great.  

Oh, and only people who fail to understand why the name Indians should be changed would suggest The Tribe is a name that would be a good replacement.  This is a very strange discussion.
    I appreciate that you're able to determine my motives and understanding,  particularly when I articulated the opposite. Your ability to see through my lies is truly astounding. I don't know how you became so intuitive considering you've never met me before.  Amazing.  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    I think it is amazing that everyone can see the logic but you.

Guess we are all idiots.

Your reasoning doesn't matter -- I think I do understand that you are attached to the fandom and idea surrounding The Tribe - but that doesn't make it ok.  

Don't need to explain why - others have done it better than I likely would.  You disagree.  We get it.
    Don't have to meet someone to understand this 
  • Options
    I think it is amazing that everyone can see the logic but you.

Guess we are all idiots.

Your reasoning doesn't matter -- I think I do understand that you are attached to the fandom and idea surrounding The Tribe - but that doesn't make it ok.  

Don't need to explain why - others have done it better than I likely would.  You disagree.  We get it.
    Don't have to meet someone to understand this 
    I'm trying to have a debate and discussion.  I didn't scoff and get passive aggressive about it.  Did I call anytime an idiot? Nope.  Did I insult anyone (that's about to change)? Nope.  Can you say the same? I guess you're just the smartest guy here and don't need to engage.  You can just stay above it because the debate is beneath you. Another option is to just not post. 
  • Options
    I weighed in to joke with Gambo about The Beasties.

At that point I commented on what I read on this thread, to this point.  If you don't like it, feel free not to post.  Changing the name from Indians to The Tribe is beyond ridiculous to consider.  
  • Options
    I weighed in to joke with Gambo about The Beasties.

At that point I commented on what I read on this thread, to this point.  If you don't like it, feel free not to post.  Changing the name from Indians to The Tribe is beyond ridiculous to consider.  
    You took a shot at me.  You do that,  I'm going to take a shot back.  Moving to Tribe is so ridiculous that a liberal arts college did the very thing.  I guess the trustees of William and Mary just weren't privileged enough to be educated by you before they made their decision.  

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The Cleveland Kibbutz, every member of the tribe gets a standing tryout for some of that MLB gelt.

Me and my Jewfro are trying out for left field. See you at the Yacob.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Why would I care what William & Mary did?

Crusty southern folks are hardly what we should be setting our clocks by.  

Keep hoping for The Tribe.  You certainly have every right. 

• Options
    dankind said:
    The Cleveland Kibbutz, every member of the tribe gets a standing tryout for some of that MLB gelt.

Me and my Jewfro are trying out for left field. See you at the Yacob.
    The Yacob.
    :rofl:
  • Options
    Why would I care what William & Mary did?

Crusty southern folks are hardly what we should be setting our clocks by.  

Keep hoping for The Tribe.  You certainly have every right. 

Top 10 academic public institution = crusty old southern folks.  You're right as always.  

I've made it crystal clear that I don't expect the team to do what I suggest.   But I'm sure you knew that because you know everything about me.  
  • Options
    Haha.  I like how it boils down to you vs me.  
    I'm competitive about most everything, so this appeals to me.

If you have a problem with my characterization of The College of William & Mary as crusty southern folks we certainly will agree on very little.
    I'm happy to stand by that.
  • Options
  • Options
    The fact that they apologized for something a few hundred years ago means that they are crusty and old?  Doesn't it tell you the opposite, that they are connected and remorseful about their history?  Something is amiss in your perspective here. 

The only reason it's about you and me is because you took a shot at me.  Attack my arguments.  Attack my perspective that Tribe may be appropriation but it's not racist.  I welcome that discussion. That's what the debates have been.  But you took a different tact.  You waved it all away and decided it wasn't worth your time to retort, but it was worth your time to take a shot.  
  • Options
    Wait....I see the commonality here -- both are tone deaf!

But, but, but....FLORIDA STATE!

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited December 2020
    It looks to me like what William and Mary did is similar to what other schools with controversial names do. They adopted a mascot that isn’t really connected to the name. For example, I think Mississippi has a bear instead of Colonel Reb and I believe Illinois adopted some sort of an animal as well. I guess the difference is that William and Mary has incorporated it into logos beyond just the fuzzy mascot out on the field.

https://tribeathletics.com/sports/2018/7/18/william-mary-athletics-logos-and-marks.aspx

I remember them as the Tribe having feathers in one of their word marks but I guess they’ve  moved on from that.  

But I don’t think an unrelated mythical creature or animal as a logo works in the majors. I guess we have things like the Capitals using an eagle but I think in the big leagues a primary logo with this much disconnect would be strange. It would be like the Pirates using a wolf or something. 

The best route to go with that name would be to be like the Packers and simply just use letters (Edit; or maybe like the Phillies Liberty Bell logo...subtl city-related image) and not really have a graphic representation of the name. But as I’ve contended before, they are just as well to do that with their current name.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Wait....I see the commonality here -- both are tone deaf!

But, but, but....FLORIDA STATE!

2006.. The NCAA said the school's "Tribe" nickname was acceptable. But the use of feathers on the logo was not, the NCAA said.

what a winning argument.  Drop the mic there buddy.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

People go to fairs and theme parks and pay to have a caricature made of themselves.  Is this making fun of yourself or is a caricature just that?  A Caricature with zero meaning behind it?