Options

Cleveland Indians to drop "Indians" from team name after 105 years

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    tish said:
    rgambs said:
    tish said:
    Now if only we could get PJ to drop the words ignorant Indians from their evolution song.
    Seriously?  
    I mean, how can you compare satire to caricature?
    I'm not comparing them.

But if the lyrics said, those ignorant niggers got nothing on me, maybe I wouldn't be the only voice mentioning that using that word isn't okay.
    You do realize it's him signing as an ignorant asshole right?  I mean that is the entire purpose.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    i'm still wondering when people will stop calling indians "east indians". 
    West Indian I thought?  Like west Indies is Barbados etc.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Except “Indians” is not used as a pejorative towards people from India, and when used to refer to Native Americans exudes tremendous ignorance, hence the satire in the writing. 

The word Indian in and of itself is not a derogatory or offensive word. 

That's a tough one.  I use the terms, "indigenous people", First Nations", and sometimes "Native Americans", but rarely "Indians" because many indigenous Americans don't like the term "Indian".  But I've heard a number of them say "Indian" or "American Indian".  One of my favorite native writers, Sherman Alexie, used the word "Indian" in a few of his book titles.  It's sort of like n-word- OK for blacks to use it because they took the word back, same with Native Americans.

The other thing I've read is that many "Indians" don't like any of the above terms, but prefer to be referred to by their tribe- Sioux (or Assiniboine), Shoshone, Paiute, Modoc, etc.   But that get s tricky as there are 562 Native American Tribes!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    wow, that was a hard r.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    people using the term east indians are almost exclusively referring to people from india, not east india, and not to distinguish from the west indies.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    people using the term east indians are almost exclusively referring to people from india, not east india, and not to distinguish from the west indies.
    I have never heard anyone say that.  That is very interesting and weird, lol.

Learn something new every day.
  • Options
    I have never heard anyone say that.  That is very interesting and weird, lol.

Learn something new every day.
    at least that's my experience. I can't imagine too many people have a clue what regions are included in the real geographical East India. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cleveland Baseball Team since there’s already precedent for such a brain-dead team name. 

I mean really, how were the Redskins (excuse me, Washington Football Team) not prepared with a new team name? You’d think they’d have something in store if a name change was ever forced upon them. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Cleveland Baseball Team since there’s already precedent for such a brain-dead team name. 

I mean really, how were the Redskins (excuse me, Washington Football Team) not prepared with a new team name? You’d think they’d have something in store if a name change was ever forced upon them. 
    most major re-branding decisions take months or even years. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    At the end of the day if Trump is tweeting about it I know it's on the wrong side of history...
  • Options
    what the fuck does that even mean, even "indians" in quotations? fuck he's stupid. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    what the fuck does that even mean, even "indians" in quotations? fuck he's stupid. 
    It's so stupid it is hard to comprehend.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829

I saw that point elsewhere..."In case of emergency, break glass."  For Washington, they were always pretty arrogant on how they'd never change and all the sudden things happened so quickly. So they didn't have a contingency and they could not really say "we know this name is a slur, so we're only going to use it for one more year." I actually like the one-year solution and hope they don't come up with something too goofy but also hope they don't just stick with WFT.

For Cleveland, I'm surprised they didn't try to keep a re-brand on the down-low, play this season out and come out next year with a ready brand. Then again, if they want season ticket holder focus groups or something, I guess that would not be possible.  It's easier for "Indians" to stick around for a year than for "R******s," particularly now that their imagery is caricature-free. (Then again, you could argue that if they can have a lame duck year with that name that they can keep it forever...maybe that's even something they still think could be an option).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The Cleveland Drew Carry's.

That's my offering.
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    The mock Cleveland Spiders jersey/logo scheme going around the internet is incredible if you ask me
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited December 2020
    The swedish hockey team Frölunda Indians is changing their logo/name too:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    The mock Cleveland Spiders jersey/logo scheme going around the internet is incredible if you ask me
    There have been stuff I have seen for a few years that are sharp.  Not sure if it is my first choice, but I would be fine with it, mainly because it could be so, so much worse.  

As I mentioned, with the current Indians, with the inability to really have anything more than a 'c' as a logo (with a few other "C" teams in the league), they have been in purgatory as far as branding and uniforms.  They have the block C logo.  I was looking for a MLB licensed yeti koozie, and I couldnt bring myself to buy an Indians one.... and almost pulled the trigger on a few other teams.

Something like the 70s style could be possible... but really it kind of mocks N.A. 'writing' and is enhanced by a wahoo sleeve patch.  

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,881
    steamers or river fires is my vote
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Cleveland Lakers
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I say Cleveland  “the mistake by the lake” has a nice ring to it...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Cleveland Snowflakes, for the butthurt fanbabies crying about the name change.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    Cleveland O'Lakes

New logo:

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    Hobbes said:
    Cleveland O'Lakes

New logo:

Ya know, if you fold the side of the butter box just so....
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    When NOLA gave the Hornets name back to Charlotte the “Jazz” name should’ve gone back to NOLA.  

• Options
    should go with Ravens. i like how the v in both words kind of make it similar. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    should go with Ravens. i like how the v in both words kind of make it similar. 
    That would never happen, it would totally alienate Browns fans. 

• Options
    Poncier said:
    Hobbes said:
    Cleveland O'Lakes

New logo:

HAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! My father taught me that!!!!!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Poncier said:
    Hobbes said:
    Cleveland O'Lakes

New logo:

HAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! My father taught me that!!!!!
    Heard she liked to hang with old Red Dog.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    As the most die hard Indians fan that you'll meet (except of course John Adams who lugs the drum into every game), I'm okay with the name changing at this point.  I don't like the Spiders, the Naps, or any of the old names.  I'd go with the Tribe. That would create continuity and the reality is, no fan is ever going to stop saying "Hey, when's the Tribe on tonight?".  They are the Tribe and they play at the Jake.  It's that simple.  
    As an aside, the College of William and Mary changed their name a number of years ago to the Tribe, for the same reason.  Works fine down here.