Options

#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    i'm sure biden would bribe manchin and sinema to be on board with his agenda if he could, but you cannot compete with that outside special interest money. for all we know trump may be paying them as well. or the RNC.. 
    Maybe Manchin and Sinema don't believe in the agenda. Why is that so crazy to understand? Instead you attack them and accuse them of taking bribes. You do understand that not everyone is on board with the Biden agenda right? Being a Democrat doesn't mean you have to subscribe to everything your party believes.
    You don’t believe in voting rights for historically disenfranchised voters? Got it.
    Yes, I feel bad for all of those disenfranchised voters. We had more people voting in the 2020 election than ever before. That is proof we are already making progress.

that's the point...there was progress and then the GOP started trying to make it harder for people to vote
    Voting laws are up to each state and it should remain that way. If you don't like your state's voting laws, you can push to elect new people or move out of the state.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    i'm sure biden would bribe manchin and sinema to be on board with his agenda if he could, but you cannot compete with that outside special interest money. for all we know trump may be paying them as well. or the RNC.. 
    Maybe Manchin and Sinema don't believe in the agenda. Why is that so crazy to understand? Instead you attack them and accuse them of taking bribes. You do understand that not everyone is on board with the Biden agenda right? Being a Democrat doesn't mean you have to subscribe to everything your party believes.
    You don’t believe in voting rights for historically disenfranchised voters? Got it.
    Yes, I feel bad for all of those disenfranchised voters. We had more people voting in the 2020 election than ever before. That is proof we are already making progress.

that's the point...there was progress and then the GOP started trying to make it harder for people to vote
    Voting laws are up to each state and it should remain that way. If you don't like your state's voting laws, you can push to elect new people or move out of the state.

So you think a state can/should be able to impose poll taxes again?  It's not an issue for the federal gov't to address?
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    Ah same old train. Someone disagrees and then someone attacks with an over simplification and then attacks personally.  Love this place. 
    Yup. Pretty gross. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    I’m a believer in that anyone willing to put an ounce of effort into it can vote. There are multiple options and ways for people to vote. If you’re waiting for someone to bring a voting machine to you at your convenience, then yeah you probably didn’t vote.
    IDs are needed for basically everything. There are sometimes free. In my state it’s $10 and good for 10 years. Most states have early and/or mail voting, so the “I can’t get time off work” I’ve heard doesn’t make sense to me. Homeless? There’s still ways to get mail from the post office itself, shelters, churches, friends or family. If you didn’t vote then you didn’t want to vote.
    I also don’t think voter fraud is real either.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I’m a believer in that anyone willing to put an ounce of effort into it can vote. There are multiple options and ways for people to vote. If you’re waiting for someone to bring a voting machine to you at your convenience, then yeah you probably didn’t vote.
    IDs are needed for basically everything. There are sometimes free. In my state it’s $10 and good for 10 years. Most states have early and/or mail voting, so the “I can’t get time off work” I’ve heard doesn’t make sense to me. Homeless? There’s still ways to get mail from the post office itself, shelters, churches, friends or family. If you didn’t vote then you didn’t want to vote.
    Well that's just it. States are moving to eliminate or shorten early voting, reducing the number of drop boxes, purging rolls more frequently,  making "Souls to the Polls" more difficult by not allowing early voting on Sundays. So it's not a straight disenfranchisement, it's adding barriers rather than removing them.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    mace1229 said:
    I don't disagree to some extent. But when you are used to voting a certain way for years and then that is changed in order to suppress some votes that is wrong.

If a district has always mailed voter packets to residents for years now does not (due to new legislation) that is suppression. Or at least the intent is....kind of obvious.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

So you think a state can/should be able to impose poll taxes again?  It's not an issue for the federal gov't to address?
    Is this what you're concerned about? Poll taxes?

The federal government has already addressed this and made it so each state can't do this in federal elections. I am worried about poll taxes as I am worried that they'll make slavery legal again.

• Options
    Trying to address the comments in 1 post.
    I think no matter how easy or not it gets the left will want it easier and the right will want more restrictions. I think both fights are equally pointless as I don’t believe in voter fraud or suppression.
    Many of the big window, extra time and drop off locations were new for 2020 as a result of covid and the accommodations for it. But when trying to go back to the way before now it’s voter blocking and suppression.
    Voting doesn’t need to last months as it was in at least some states. 
    I saw the same thing about 440 bills. I’m guessing a big chunk of that is undoing what was added for 2020, or basic ID laws that have been on the table for years.
    Bottom line is if you wanted to vote in 2020 you did. If you want to vote in 2022 and 2024 you will. If you want to not vote and make excuses and pretend like you’re suppressed, you will too.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I think no matter how easy or not it gets the left will want it easier and the right will want more restrictions. I think both fights are equally pointless as I don’t believe in voter fraud or suppression.
    Many of the big window, extra time and drop off locations were new for 2020 as a result of covid and the accommodations for it. But when trying to go back to the way before now it’s voter blocking and suppression.
    I saw the same thing about 440 bills. I’m guessing a big chunk of that is undoing what was added for 2020, or basic ID laws that have been on the table for years.
    Bottom line is if you wanted to vote in 2020 you did. If you want to vote in 2022 and 2024 you will. If you want to not vote and make excuses and pretend like you’re suppressed, you will too.
    +1

• Options
    edited January 2022
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Is this what you're concerned about? Poll taxes?

The federal government has already addressed this and made it so each state can't do this in federal elections. I am worried about poll taxes as I am worried that they'll make slavery legal again.

You said there is no place for the federal gov't as it relates to voting laws.  I am pointing an egregious situation where federal laws were absolutely required.  You can throw in there the whole of the Voting Rights Act as well.  The federal gov't has  an interest, right and historic responsibility to exercise some level of control on the elections that affect the federal gov't (e.g. House, Senate and President).  I am giving you clear examples why your statement was incorrect, unless you think poll taxes, literacy tests and other barriers are appropriate. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Your last statement is too simplistic.  Too many people in our country struggle to get to the polls, whether it's they are elderly, work too much, or as it's known in my business "the least sophisticated consumer".  The question is whether we want more participation in our democracy, or less. That's the bottom line question that is being addressed in these laws, whether you are for or against.  
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    a poll tax is basically anything that impedes people from voting. 

we would not be in this mess if the fucking supreme court did not gut the voting rights act in 2013.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Well that's just it. States are moving to eliminate or shorten early voting, reducing the number of drop boxes, purging rolls more frequently,  making "Souls to the Polls" more difficult by not allowing early voting on Sundays. So it's not a straight disenfranchisement, it's adding barriers rather than removing them.  
    Ignorance is bliss, Russ. Come on. You know this. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Come.
    On.

Your leader has brainwashed the members of your political party to believe that this progress never actually happened.

He has told them that millions and millions and millions of votes were fraudulent and should not have counted.

He has convinced 70% of Republicans that the election, which you seem to be hailing here, was stolen from him and now the state leaders of your political party (in close to twenty states) have passed new laws to roll back this progress and make it more difficult for people to vote.

If you really felt bad about disenfranchised voters you, too, would be outraged by what is happening right now. But...you're not. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Your last statement is too simplistic.  Too many people in our country struggle to get to the polls, whether it's they are elderly, work too much, or as it's known in my business "the least sophisticated consumer".  The question is whether we want more participation in our democracy, or less. That's the bottom line question that is being addressed in these laws, whether you are for or against.  
    Am I mistakes, or don’t all states have some form of early or mail voting? I know some states you have to request and some are mailed automatic. But don’t all have at least some form of it? Which is why I don’t get the “I just couldnt make it today” argument.
    If I’m wrong, then I take what I said back and all states should adopt at least some form of it. It doesn’t need to be 2 months long and automatically sent out, but something.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    And that's the problem, man. Stop guessing and start reading about what is actually happening. It's not just undoing what was added in 2020. Even if it was.....WHY? Even this JB guy was hailing the 2020 election and calling it "progress." Why in the fuck would you want to roll that back? IT. WORKED. JB is right, we did make extraordinary progress in '20 but the Republicans have acted swiftly to reverse that progress for some strange reason. Hmmm...wonder why?

As bad as rolling back something that worked better than it ever has is that these Republican states are giving more power to partisan state legislators regarding certifying the results. They are laying the groundwork to actually steal future elections instead of just lying that it was done to them.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/dozen-state-laws-shift-power-elections-partisan-entities/story?id=79408455

People need to start paying attention.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Come.
    On.

Your leader has brainwashed the members of your political party to believe that this progress never actually happened.

He has told them that millions and millions and millions of votes were fraudulent and should not have counted.

He has convinced 70% of Republicans that the election, which you seem to be hailing here, was stolen from him and now the state leaders of your political party (in close to twenty states) have passed new laws to roll back this progress and make it more difficult for people to vote.

If you really felt bad about disenfranchised voters you, too, would be outraged by what is happening right now. But...you're not. 

And "your leader" told America that you ain't black if you vote for Trump. My leader? I don't have a leader and I would bet you don't either.

I have better things to be outraged against. Mace said it best, "Bottom line is if you wanted to vote in 2020 you did. If you want to vote in 2022 and 2024 you will. If you want to not vote and make excuses and pretend like you’re suppressed, you will too." And also,  "I think no matter how easy or not it gets the left will want it easier and the right will want more restrictions. I think both fights are equally pointless as I don’t believe in voter fraud or suppression."

If you have solid undeniable proof of what you're saying, I'd love to see it and then we can be outraged together. Until you know for sure, it is nothing but faux outrage.

The issue of voter suppression is to the Democrats like voter fraud is to the Republicans.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Am I mistakes, or don’t all states have some form of early or mail voting? I know some states you have to request and some are mailed automatic. But don’t all have at least some form of it? Which is why I don’t get the “I just couldnt make it today” argument.
    If I’m wrong, then I take what I said back and all states should adopt at least some form of it. It doesn’t need to be 2 months long and automatically sent out, but something.
    You are mistaken. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Come.
    On.

And "your leader" told America that you ain't black if you vote for Trump. My leader? I don't have a leader and I would bet you don't either.

I have better things to be outraged against. Mace said it best, "Bottom line is if you wanted to vote in 2020 you did. If you want to vote in 2022 and 2024 you will. If you want to not vote and make excuses and pretend like you’re suppressed, you will too." And also,  "I think no matter how easy or not it gets the left will want it easier and the right will want more restrictions. I think both fights are equally pointless as I don’t believe in voter fraud or suppression."

If you have solid undeniable proof of what you're saying, I'd love to see it and then we can be outraged together. Until you know for sure, it is nothing but faux outrage.

The issue of voter suppression is to the Democrats like voter fraud is to the Republicans.
    This picture is the equivalent of your post:

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Come.
    On.

That's ok. Your just butt hurt because your Democrats can't get anything accomplished. Hopefully your racist leader can get things back on track while you blindly follow him.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    You are mistaken. 
    According to this: https://www.vote.org/early-voting-calendar/
    Only Connecticut, Delaware, Missouri and Mississippi don’t have early voting or no excuse mail in. So 4 out of 50. 2 red and 2 blue states. And I’m not sure what is “no excuse” mail in, in that you can mail in but just have to give a reason? I don’t know.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I can't say for every state.  I can say for VA, where I live, we did not have early voting until the D's took both chambers and the governorship all together in 2019.  Before that, we only had absentee voting.  You had to have a valid excuse (like work travel) and then go to your respective "city hall" to vote in person, after attesting to your reason.  And if something came up too close to the election, you were screwed.  I know this because I was called out of town in 2016 right before the election and I couldn't do absentee because it was too late.  I didn't vote at all.  
    So now R's control 2 of three branches (Delegates and governor seat) here in VA.  If the senate flips next year, then I expect we will lose our early voting and it will go back to how it was. 
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Come.
    On.

That's ok. Your just butt hurt because your Democrats can't get anything accomplished. Hopefully your racist leader can get things back on track while you blindly follow him.
    Lol. Projection is the big thing in the modern Republican party. Learned from the best. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    Texas mail in voting qualifications are very restrictive

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

• be 65 years or older;
    • be sick or disabled;
    • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance;
    • be expected to give birth within three weeks before or after Election Day; or
    • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

• Options
    Anyone remember Voter ID? Seems the vast majority of states have some version of it and yet 2020 happened. Scary I know.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Come.
    On.

Lol. Projection is the big thing in the modern Republican party. Learned from the best. 
    The Republicans are the best! I'm so glad we had this conversation and that you were able to come to this conclusion. Now that we have that established, do you want to meet up at the next Trump rally? We could wear matching Shaman outfits!
  • Options
    edited January 2022

• be 65 years or older;
    • be sick or disabled;
    • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance;

Jesus. I had to double check to see if true and it is: https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/voter/reqabbm.shtml

This is a disgrace. We made so much progress in 2020 only to see so many Republican led states take us backwards...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

• be 65 years or older;
    • be sick or disabled;

Jesus. I had to double check to see if true and it is: https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/voter/reqabbm.shtml

This is a disgrace. We made so much progress in 2020 only to see so many Republican led states take us backwards...
    That sucks that people have to make an effort to vote!

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    I personally think we should be working to have more way for people to vote. This isn’t 1900….figure out how to do it all safely. And for the most part it was done safely in person and by mail. 

The worst part of all of this is wasting all this time (and $) on something that doesn’t need “fixed”.
    hippiemom = goodness