Options

Pearl Jam Headline Two Nights at BST Hyde Park

Comments

• Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 166
    BST really needs to start being transparent with plans. I just read a tweet from BBC noting that the PM is concerned about a third wave:

Boris Johnson has warned the effects of a third wave of coronavirus will "wash up on our shores" from Europe.

The PM said the UK should be "under no illusion" we will "feel effects" of growing cases on the continent.

His comments come amid a row over Covid vaccine supplies, after the president of the European Commission warning the EU could "forbid" doses made in the bloc from being exported to the UK.

EU leaders will hold a virtual meeting on Thursday to discuss their plans.

So, why continue on all honky dory with a music festival in the heart of London in early July? It'll be April soon, and this possible third wave may come very soon. I want to go to London to see PJ as much as the next person, maybe even more anxious, but the optics don't look good. Americans shouldn't have to risk their health to attend a concert in a different country during a pandemic and new variants.

Taken out of context - his point was we should crack on with vaccines so we were in good shape for any 3rd wave carriers from the EU.

Uk numbers are incredible and moving so fast it could be almost a bad memory by July.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 754

BTW pedant alert - but Wireless takes place at Finsbury Park, I believe. 
    You are correct and I should've had my first and probably second coffees of the day before checking my emails and hurriedly reporting back here :') 

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,165
    edited March 2021
    BST really needs to start being transparent with plans. I just read a tweet from BBC noting that the PM is concerned about a third wave:

Boris Johnson has warned the effects of a third wave of coronavirus will "wash up on our shores" from Europe.

The PM said the UK should be "under no illusion" we will "feel effects" of growing cases on the continent.

His comments come amid a row over Covid vaccine supplies, after the president of the European Commission warning the EU could "forbid" doses made in the bloc from being exported to the UK.

EU leaders will hold a virtual meeting on Thursday to discuss their plans.

So, why continue on all honky dory with a music festival in the heart of London in early July? It'll be April soon, and this possible third wave may come very soon. I want to go to London to see PJ as much as the next person, maybe even more anxious, but the optics don't look good. Americans shouldn't have to risk their health to attend a concert in a different country during a pandemic and new variants.

Agree it would be good to get some news from BST (even something along the lines of “we are discussing our plans with the bands and government”). 

Please don’t take this the wrong way but if you are uncomfortable about risking your health travelling abroad, the best advice is not to go. I have tickets for a bunch of shows in mainland Europe but I’m not going there given vaccination rates, even if they were to go ahead. For me it’s BST or none this year. 
    Post edited by drfox on
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,461
    I know it doesn’t mean anything but just for fun I am mentioning I received notice that a payment plan payment on my purchase will be processed later this week.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    chalonchalon Posts: 114
    I'm kind of at the point that even if BST does happen as scheduled in July, I don't think I'm going. It's not because I think the event would be unsafe, but I just don't think the international trip is going to be fun with all the flight restrictions that will still be there, the testing requirements, proof of vaccination, etc. I think a show summer 2022 would be WAY more fun than a show summer 2021. I'd rather wait the extra year to have that experience. But I totally understand/am fine if they end up doing the show this year. I can definitely understand the folks in the UK who are wanting it to happen as planned.
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 754
    For what it's worth (which may not be much at all, but just throwing it out there), I got an email from Ticketmaster this morning announcing that tickets for Wireless (another major festival taking place in Hyde Park during the first week of July) will go on sale tomorrow.   

We're just over 3 months away.   Surely they wouldn't put them on sale tomorrow without a fair amount of confidence?    
    Latest update from Ticketmaster today is that Wireless has been bumped to September and moved from Finsbury Park to Crystal Palace Park.    

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    JackD.JackD. Posts: 485
    For what it's worth (which may not be much at all, but just throwing it out there), I got an email from Ticketmaster this morning announcing that tickets for Wireless (another major festival taking place in Hyde Park during the first week of July) will go on sale tomorrow.   

We're just over 3 months away.   Surely they wouldn't put them on sale tomorrow without a fair amount of confidence?    
    Latest update from Ticketmaster today is that Wireless has been bumped to September and moved from Finsbury Park to Crystal Palace Park.    
    Do we now have enough prove that BST is not going ahead as scheduled?
  • Options
    Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 285
    Would be ballsy/reckless for BST to stay in its current slot. The complication for BST is that it has already been selling tickets for a specific line-up on a specific date, whereas Wireless had announced a date but hadn't revealed a line-up or started selling tickets. 
  • Options
    The only weekend I could not make in the entire year is the first weekend of September.  Given that Wireless is the second and given the SHN and Ohana dates it would appear the first weekend in September would be BST’s best option.  Naturally...
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,202
    Is BST the only festival that hasn't been moved yet ?
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,835
    Its getting that way although I would argue its a concert in a field as opposed what i think a festival represents. So as a stand alone concert maybe they are in a different category. Not that it really matters what we call it
  • Options
    It has got me thinking however, when does an outdoor show stop being a concert and become a festival? Is it the camping element? 
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    It has got me thinking however, when does an outdoor show stop being a concert and become a festival? Is it the camping element? 
    If there are jugglers and wankers with diabolos it's a festival. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    There are others that haven't moved - Reading/Leeds, All Points East, etc. But the difference is that they're all later in the year. Now that Wireless has moved, BST is the first major music event to take place after the June 21 target.

It is possible that some football matches at Wembley could be taking place though (70,000+ fans), as the Euros are on and Wembley is hosting the England home matches plus (I think) one of the semis and the final itself. Whether or not that'll happen though is anyone's guess. 
    Post edited by Gravey1975 on
  • Options
    JackD. said:

Do we now have enough prove that BST is not going ahead as scheduled?
    Are you going by facts or probability ? :)
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    If there are jugglers and wankers with diabolos it's a festival. 
    HAHA
  • Options
    I know it doesn’t mean anything but just for fun I am mentioning I received notice that a payment plan payment on my purchase will be processed later this week.  
    And now payment processed.  Show is on for sure now, right? Hahaha

• Options
    edited March 2021
    And now payment processed.  Show is on for sure now, right? Hahaha
    If you are the promoter you want to hang onto punters money as long as possible.

Let's not forget the original date had to be refunded then we had to go through the hassle of getting 10C tickets for this second date.

Fans are being dicked around here - no problem for me as the venue is less than an hour away - I feel sorry for fans who have tickets and are much further away.

May be the promoter who is delaying but PJ have some obligation to fans.
    Post edited by Tjm007 on
  • Options
    Another UK festival TRNSMT moved from July to September 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,043
    Duran Duran playing Isle of Wight which is taking place September 16-19. Would they do Hyde Park and Isle of Wight in the same year/month? 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Duran Duran playing Isle of Wight which is taking place September 16-19. Would they do Hyde Park and Isle of Wight in the same year/month? 
    Don't see why not ? Starting to think BST will be September question is will PJ play it 
  • Options
    Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    PJNB said:
    I think there's a higher chance of Duran Duran playing Hyde Park in September than there is of Pearl Jam.  I don't know for sure, but I don't think Duran Duran's shows were part of a full European tour.

Now, I'm pretty sure that not all of Duran Duran live in the UK, but what's interesting about that Isle of Wight line up is that most, if not all, the acts advertised on the poster that went up earlier are UK based.  There's a notable lack of international artists which gives an indication of where those organisers think things will be come September.  Shows with talent from home might be able to go ahead without an issue but international touring is likely to still be a no-no.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options

Now, I'm pretty sure that not all of Duran Duran live in the UK, but what's interesting about that Isle of Wight line up is that most, if not all, the acts advertised on the poster that went up earlier are UK based.  There's a notable lack of international artists which gives an indication of where those organisers think things will be come September.  Shows with talent from home might be able to go ahead without an issue but international touring is likely to still be a no-no.
    I read an article about just that yesterday: https://www.nme.com/news/music/festivals-coronavirus-line-ups-travel-international-2904601
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    PJNB said:
    IoW was sharing Duran Duran with BST anyway, so if anything the fact that IoW moved to September possibly suggests that BST would be MORE likely to move to Sept IMO. That said, the rumours persist that BST isn't intending to move at the moment, although they have scoped out Sept as a plan b. 

• Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,165
    PJNB said:
    I think there's a higher chance of Duran Duran playing Hyde Park in September than there is of Pearl Jam.  I don't know for sure, but I don't think Duran Duran's shows were part of a full European tour.

Indeed. And another couple of festivals that announced their line ups this week (TRNSMT and Victorious) also have all British Line ups (Royal Blood, Liam Gallagher etc)
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
    drfox said: Indeed. And another couple of festivals that announced their line ups this week (TRNSMT and Victorious) also have all British Line ups (Royal Blood, Liam Gallagher etc)
    Southsea Victorious? It's literally a 10-minute walk for me. I'm probably attending only one day (Sunday) this year. I've never seen Morcheeba live though... :pensive: I wish PJ headline Victorious one day. :prayer:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap said:
    drfox said: Indeed. And another couple of festivals that announced their line ups this week (TRNSMT and Victorious) also have all British Line ups (Royal Blood, Liam Gallagher etc)
    Southsea Victorious? It's literally a 10-minute walk for me. I'm probably attending only one day (Sunday) this year. I've never seen Morcheeba live though... :pensive: I wish PJ headline Victorious one day. :prayer:
    Skye is back in Morcheeba again these days isnt she? Be well worth catching them if so.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
    Pap said:
    Skye is back in Morcheeba again these days isnt she? Be well worth catching them if so.
    Precisely. That's the main reason why I want to see them.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Barcelona did a concert tonight with 5000 people indoors with masks and without distancing.  They had to take antigen tests earlier in the day.  The event was for research purposes to see how infection rates among attendees compare with those of the general population.  That’ll be interesting to see over the next few weeks.  I don’t think vaccination was a requirement for this one.  

• Options
    Barcelona did a concert tonight with 5000 people indoors with masks and without distancing.  They had to take antigen tests earlier in the day.  The event was for research purposes to see how infection rates among attendees compare with those of the general population.  That’ll be interesting to see over the next few weeks.  I don’t think vaccination was a requirement for this one.  
    Do they plan on testing full capacity?