Options

2020 Presidential Debates aka night 1 "The Cleveland Steamer"

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    What person at 75 is as sharp as they used to be.
    Right? Just don't point it out, or else you're a "greedy fool."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    What person at 75 is as sharp as they used to be.
    Few if any, and a point I raised in another thread is that I think we should have a maximum age for POTUS to go along with the minimum age.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    Well next week we should see a real debate with respect and decorum when Pence and Harris go at it.
    Each is better served to be at the top of their party's respective ticket than the senile old dude each party has nominated.
    We're so screwed as a country.

Congratulate yourself for getting right down to trumps level. Only a greedy fool would put bidens performance on an equal footing as trumps. May your children and/or family speak about you in that manner when you are in your 70s
    It's amazing how if you point out any similarities between the two candidates, even if it's a glaringly obvious one -- namely, both are senile old dudes (and I'm fairly certain Poncer isn't being clinical here; if he's a medical doctor, I'll eat my coffee mug) -- you're immediately insulted by the usual suspects here. A similarity here and there does not equate to duplication. (Alert: I'm a white man and have trouble with tie length. Gasp! I must be just like Donald Trump!!!)

Anyway, your eyes are deceiving you, Poncier. Biden is a middle-aged woman, 180 on the Stanford-Binet, and she just cured Covid-19 and climate change. You should really stop being a greedy fool and just vote for her.

And I would hope that my entire family is honest about my mental faculties deteriorating in my old age. They certainly wouldn't be doing me any favors by ignoring it.

Edit: I did not nor will I ever watch these two candidates debate.
    Neither was even close to being senile.  That's just a pejorative.  There's no way you could have watched this debate and came to that conclusion.  Trump was a lunatic as usual.  That's not senile, that's intentional.  Biden was square on his game.  I doubt if many people leveling senility accusations could have possibly stayed as focused as Biden while the POTUS is yelling insults at you while trying to make a point.  
    Yes, I addressed that Poncier was likely not being clinical. People misuse behavioral/mental health phrases such as senile, manic, addict(ed), antisocial, schizo, depressed, etc. every second.  Pretty sure I've been called all of those. 

I'm fairly certain that I don't need to explain this to anyone, but here we are.
    So anyone over a certain age is senile?  I don't understand throwing around insults and then saying "that's not what I really mean".  When I say Trump is a lunatic, I mean it. 
    Jesus! I've been called senile for forgetting my password. The person who called me that meant it, too, just not in a clinical sense.

When all you've got is semantics, you really don't have much. I spend every day defending the English language, and even I recognize this.

Perhaps you will, too.
    Yes, but that's normal because there's no element of truth or application that you could possibly be senile, right?  You understand the language and semantics, so you know damn well there's a huge difference between calling a septuagenarian 'senile' and calling a 30, 40 year old senile.  One is likely to be an intended insult, and the other a joke.  
    Regardless of age, calling a public figure "senile" seems more jokey to me than calling a fellow board member a "greedy fool," which is fairly insulting. I understand that the GOP is using the term more negatively, but I really don't think our fellow posters are.

This is nothing new. People have been calling both candidates (and plenty others) some version of senile for a while now. Thing is that the clinical term is less used than the more broad definition -- the first definition M-W will give you is "... of, relating to, exhibiting, or characteristic of old age," adding an especially subentry regarding cognitive ability beneath the main entry -- so even if you want to argue semantics, you've got weak sauce, since you and I have no control over the broader lexicography.

For more from M-W, here are the two example sentences it gives for the senile entry:

1. Every time I got a government job, I always felt obligated to tell the authorities that I had this mother who had probably been a Communist. It was an annoying piece of baggage. Then eventually she became senile and forgot about politics and actually became very benign.

2. There appears to be little common ground between those who see the paintings [Willem de Kooning's late works] in question as a sublime achievement, a late style comparable to the cut-paper masterpieces of the aging Matisse, and those who describe them as the senile doodlings of a once great artist whose reputation is being damaged for the sake of commercial exploitation.

And two M-W examples from the Web (no shit!):

1. Republicans largely ignored the pandemic while attacking Joe Biden as a senile lifetime politician controlled by his party's far-left wing and incapable of protecting suburban voters from mobs of protesters.

2. Pirro may have yada yada-ed the conspiracy, but the point is clear: The Democratic Party and their enablers are conspiring to replace the senile Biden with the sinister Harris.
    I'm not defending any comments about 'greedy fool'.  In fact, I don't recall reading that, but certainly wouldn't say it. My point is that neither came off as the least bit senile last night.  I don't see where it's appropriate to call a sept senile, unless it's clinical.  Otherwise it's an insult. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,149
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    Well next week we should see a real debate with respect and decorum when Pence and Harris go at it.
    Each is better served to be at the top of their party's respective ticket than the senile old dude each party has nominated.

Congratulate yourself for getting right down to trumps level. Only a greedy fool would put bidens performance on an equal footing as trumps. May your children and/or family speak about you in that manner when you are in your 70s
    It's amazing how if you point out any similarities between the two candidates, even if it's a glaringly obvious one -- namely, both are senile old dudes (and I'm fairly certain Poncer isn't being clinical here; if he's a medical doctor, I'll eat my coffee mug) -- you're immediately insulted by the usual suspects here. A similarity here and there does not equate to duplication. (Alert: I'm a white man and have trouble with tie length. Gasp! I must be just like Donald Trump!!!)

Anyway, your eyes are deceiving you, Poncier. Biden is a middle-aged woman, 180 on the Stanford-Binet, and she just cured Covid-19 and climate change. You should really stop being a greedy fool and just vote for her.

And I would hope that my entire family is honest about my mental faculties deteriorating in my old age. They certainly wouldn't be doing me any favors by ignoring it.

What Biden had to encounter in that debate is more difficult than anything you had to encounter in your life. The fact you and ponc put both candidates on the same level says more about you than them.

your mental facilities are deceiving you, right now. Let’s hope your family believes in euthanasia.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

What Biden had to encounter in that debate is more difficult than anything you had to encounter in your life. The fact you and ponc put both candidates on the same level says more about you than them.

your mental facilities are deceiving you, right now. Let’s hope your family believes in euthanasia.

what in the actual FUCK?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2020
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

what in the actual FUCK?

It’s a joke.

the ageism and bigotry exhibited above is disgusting.

edit, and sexism. 

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Again, I did not watch the debate, and I don't plan on it. But those assumptions about what I have and have not had to encounter in my life are just so awesome. 

I have noticed some traits in both men, however, that would lead most people to apply the senile label as defined by M-W ("of, relating to, exhibiting, or characteristic of old age").

1. Trump having trouble with walking down a ramp/drinking water from a glass
    2. Biden, even with his stutter, blanking out midsentence

Those are certainly examples of old people being old people.

mrussel1 said:
    My point is that neither came off as the least bit senile last night.  I don't see where it's appropriate to call a sept senile, unless it's clinical.  Otherwise it's an insult. 

So even if you don't find it appropriate, it does appear to be apropos and not at all an insult.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Again, I did not watch the debate, and I don't plan on it. But those assumptions about what I have and have not had to encounter in my life are just so awesome. 

I have noticed some traits in both men, however, that would lead most people to apply the senile label as defined by M-W ("of, relating to, exhibiting, or characteristic of old age").

mrussel1 said:
    My point is that neither came off as the least bit senile last night.  I don't see where it's appropriate to call a sept senile, unless it's clinical.  Otherwise it's an insult. 

So even if you don't find it appropriate, it does appear to be apropos and not at all an insult.

So bigotry is ok even if you don’t have proof that you are correct or you didn’t bother to be impartial or put the work in to actually see what happened live.
  • Options
    dankind said:

mrussel1 said:

Biden's speaking style has been teh same since he was young.  There's no difference.  Maybe you didn't watch him his whole career, but I started paying attention in the 90's when we used to joke that he was the senior senator from the state of MBNA.  He has certainly slowed down a touch, but so has Bernie and anyone else that hits 70.  I'm sure you don't run like you did in your 20's either.  So no, it's not apropos of anything in my opinion.  It's a baseless insult that ignores his actual performance last night and his style for 40 years. 
  • Options
    dankind said:

mrussel1 said:

So bigotry is ok even if you don’t have proof that you are correct or you didn’t bother to be impartial or put the work in to actually see what happened live.
    Bigotry is never OK. Good thing we don't have any examples of such here.

We do, however, have some examples of folks who are very sensitive about a certain word, even if used exactly how it's defined by the US's go-to lexicon.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

I watched most of the debate, and didn't think either candidate came across as senile.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

mrussel1 said:

We do, however, have some examples of folks who are very sensitive about a certain word, even if used exactly how it's defined by the US's go-to lexicon.

Senility is generally considered to be an insult in our culture. It’s is offensive to pretend otherwise. You said you didnt watch yet made a declaration about bidens mental capabilities and even purposely decided to  ignore the impact of a factual medical condition Biden suffers from that causes him to pause his sentences.

And you called Biden a woman. Both attacks are playing to the hatred exhibited by trumps base.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,249
    Senile would be about the last word I would use to describe either of them last night. More like erratic, angry, out of control, disjointed, unhinged.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

mrussel1 said:

And you called Biden a woman. Both attacks are playing to the hatred exhibited by trumps base.

OK, let me get this straight...your line to Dan "I hope your family believes in euthanasia" is clearly a joke and should have been obvious to all, but Dan's comment to me, "Anyway, your eyes are deceiving you, Poncier. Biden is a middle-aged woman, 180 on the Stanford-Binet, and she just cured Covid-19 and climate change. You should really stop being a greedy fool and just vote for her." is clearly sexism and not meant to have any humor.
    Got it.
  • Options
    Greedy fool sort of rhymes with:

https://youtu.be/v5mLqJdkM4w
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

mrussel1 said:

Senility is generally considered to be an insult in our culture. It’s is offensive to pretend otherwise. You said you didnt watch yet made a declaration about bidens mental capabilities and even purposely decided to  ignore the impact of a factual medical condition Biden suffers from that causes him to pause his sentences.

Everything you wrote is wrong.

1. I'm sorry that our lexicon and common usage doesn't agree with you. Perhaps the language will catch up to these sensitivities, but we're not there yet. (We're just getting to the point at which more progressive periodicals have stopped using words like "tribal" to mean "collective," so it might take a while.)  

2. Precisely because I did not watch the debate, I didn't call anybody anything or make any declarations about anybody's mental capabilities. I did point to a few examples from the past in which it would stand to reason that people could apply the senile label as defined by M-W. I also didn't ignore Biden's medical condition -- in fact, I made a point to mention it! -- but not everyone is aware of it, which brings us to perception. 

3. Discrediting someone's perception and then insulting that person for having that perception is why I made the joke that Biden was actually a highly intelligent woman, not a septuagenarian man. As in, who are you going to believe some angry person on a rock band's fan club forum or your own lying eyes?

4. There were no "attacks" by me or anyone else in this conversation.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

mrussel1 said:

OK, let me get this straight...your line to Dan "I hope your family believes in euthanasia" is clearly a joke and should have been obvious to all, but Dan's comment to me, "Anyway, your eyes are deceiving you, Poncier. Biden is a middle-aged woman, 180 on the Stanford-Binet, and she just cured Covid-19 and climate change. You should really stop being a greedy fool and just vote for her." is clearly sexism and not meant to have any humor.
    Got it.

My joke is a counter attack on the blatant bigotry of calling Biden senile, when the truth was his performance was intellectually remarkable considering the chronic lying, interruptions and shouting Biden had to endure. Im hoping it’s obvious no one should be euthanized over a political debate, but calling Biden senile is joining onto an existing false attack that trump makes, and is ignorant of how Biden actually performed. I am hoping the difference here is obvious.

There was another attack against Biden or his supporters. Is it funny to call Biden a woman, or does that play into the hatred trump gins up in America?

• Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

mrussel1 said:

Got it.

My joke is a counter attack on the blatant bigotry of calling Biden senile, when the truth was his performance was intellectually remarkable considering the chronic lying, interruptions and shouting Biden had to endure. Im hoping it’s obvious no one should be euthanized over a political debate, but calling Biden senile is joining onto an existing false attack that trump makes, and is ignorant of how Biden actually performed. I am hoping the difference here is obvious.

There was another attack against Biden or his supporters. Is it funny to call Biden a woman, or does that play into the hatred trump gins up in America?

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    take YOUR shitshow elsewhere.  the threads had its fill from last night.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    and @Lerxst1992 go listen to strangiato on repeat.....calm the fuck down.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I love the smell of AMT napalm in the morning. 
  • Options
    Who called the cops?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    take YOUR shitshow elsewhere.  the threads had its fill from last night.
    Was thinking the same thing...after last night..."How could a debate be any worse"

AMT today - "Hold my beer"
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    When you win a debate, this isn't the morning news cycle.

Trump aides struggle to defend Proud Boys remarks at debate

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/518937-trump-aides-struggle-to-defend-proud-boys-remarks-at-debate

Edit - it's funny, when Wallace started asking him to condemn white supremacists I was thinking.. OMG, just give him the easiest question in the world.  Ask him if he likes Hitler or not.  But then somehow, Trump fucked that up.  Amazing.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    Yep let’s get back to the actual meat of the subject! I think Biden did fine considering he had to talk over the Covidiot multiple times, Wallace came out of this debate for the worse he had no control I hope to not see him ever again as a moderator. He just needs to keep interviewing the idiot he seems better at that, for instance he should of asked the idiot about his proclamation of Health care program was to be announced in two weeks in his own interview of the moron...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,099
    edited September 2020
    "KEEP YAPPING MAN"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    mrussel1 said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/518937-trump-aides-struggle-to-defend-proud-boys-remarks-at-debate

Edit - it's funny, when Wallace started asking him to condemn white supremacists I was thinking.. OMG, just give him the easiest question in the world.  Ask him if he likes Hitler or not.  But then somehow, Trump fucked that up.  Amazing.  
    "stand by, proud boys" was possibly the absolute worst thing he could have said other than just putting up his hand and yelling sieg heil. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,249
    mrussel1 said:

"stand by, proud boys" was possibly the absolute worst thing he could have said other than just putting up his hand and yelling sieg heil. 
    So fucked up. Trump had the opportunity to really take the advantage when Biden danced around the BLM question. When Wallace asked that, I was like, damn, easy answer here, but then he paused as if he was almost ready to denounce them before some bad talking point alarm went off in his head and he pivoted to attacking the far left. And then his comment, I just sat there like, WTF? Horrible.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Even that lackey Brian Kilmeade from Fox and Friends said he "blew the easiest layup". That's the damn truth.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Even that lackey Brian Kilmeade from Fox and Friends said he "blew the easiest layup". That's the damn truth.  
    But even if he did denounce them he would of been lying there’s no way I’d believe it coming out of his crooked mouth. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....