Options

2020 Presidential Debates aka night 1 "The Cleveland Steamer"

Comments

• Options
    Anyone feel like crap today after watching that?  I'm angry, disheartened, and getting very tired.  I think we should have another shutdown until Nov 3rd so we can all stay home and work on mental health.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    Well next week we should see a real debate with respect and decorum when Pence and Harris go at it.
    Each is better served to be at the top of their party's respective ticket than the senile old dude each party has nominated.
    We're so screwed as a country.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,250
    Anyone feel like crap today after watching that?  I'm angry, disheartened, and getting very tired.  I think we should have another shutdown until Nov 3rd so we can all stay home and work on mental health.
    I'd describe it as a mental hangover. 😝
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    I watched about an hour of the debate this morning and that was painfully brutal to watch. My first COVID 19 test was less painful and that attendant for 20 seconds seemed to try and massage my brain. I felt nostril pain for almost two days. While watching I kept thinking of one of my all time favorite movie Cool Hand Luke. It seemed there was a serious failure to communicate to the American people, I hope there will be no more of these debates, please bring on the Vice President debate.

https://youtu.be/lj60OAh7O5U

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,153
    Poncier said:
    Well next week we should see a real debate with respect and decorum when Pence and Harris go at it.
    Each is better served to be at the top of their party's respective ticket than the senile old dude each party has nominated.

Congratulate yourself for getting right down to trumps level. Only a greedy fool would put bidens performance on an equal footing as trumps. May your children and/or family speak about you in that manner when you are in your 70s
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited September 2020
    A real president waits his turn to speak, even when he disagrees with his opponent. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--iR1sTIXM
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    we are going to totally have a lot of violence on the streets after election day.  People are going to die.  This is horrible
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    I watched the whole thing but I honestly am not sure I will watch the others.  tRump is a fucking moron.  

I though Biden did what he needed to do.  He had a few verbal gaffes that the chud will pick up on but he also had some great moments looking right at the camera.

I was a little upset that Biden didn't counter tRump on the "smart" comments...he should have slammed tRump on the SAT rumor, etc.

Bottom line...no 30 minute restroom breaks, Biden made some good points, tRump gave the Proud Boys fuel, tRump looked like an idiot.

I will give my tRumpster FB friend credit for saying that tRump had a really bad performance.  I was surprised to see that.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,105
    edited September 2020
    Biden should just speak into the camera to the viewer going forward, like a townhall, and not debate.

Instead of "you haven't done anything about A, B, C" he should talk to the audience "He hasn't done anything about A, B, C"

This should be proof that trying to debate is of no point.

And still, why is interrupting allowed like this. Everything is a fucking joke.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I was a little upset that Biden didn't counter tRump on the "smart" comments...he should have slammed tRump on the SAT rumor, etc.
    Joe was wise to stay away from that. He doesn't want his lies from the late 80's about his academic credentials to be in the spotlight again. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Biden should just speak into the camera to the viewer going forward, like a townhall, and not debate.

Instead of "you haven't done anything about A, B, C" he should talk to the audience "He hasn't done anything about A, B, C"

It's not allowed, per the rules. They need to cut of their mic's when it's not their turn to talk next time. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2020
    Poncier said:

Congratulate yourself for getting right down to trumps level. Only a greedy fool would put bidens performance on an equal footing as trumps. May your children and/or family speak about you in that manner when you are in your 70s
    It's amazing how if you point out any similarities between the two candidates, even if it's a glaringly obvious one -- namely, both are senile old dudes (and I'm fairly certain Poncer isn't being clinical here; if he's a medical doctor, I'll eat my coffee mug) -- you're immediately insulted by the usual suspects here. A similarity here and there does not equate to duplication. (Alert: I'm a white man and have trouble with tie length. Gasp! I must be just like Donald Trump!!!)

Anyway, your eyes are deceiving you, Poncier. Biden is a middle-aged woman, 180 on the Stanford-Binet, and she just cured Covid-19 and climate change. You should really stop being a greedy fool and just vote for her.

And I would hope that my entire family is honest about my mental faculties deteriorating in my old age. They certainly wouldn't be doing me any favors by ignoring it.

Edit: I did not nor will I ever watch these two candidates debate.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options

It's not allowed, per the rules. They need to cut of their mic's when it's not their turn to talk next time. 
    It was going on for the whole debate (I imagine, I turned off after 15 minutes). I'd say that pretty much makes any idea of a rule void.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,656
    edited September 2020
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

It's amazing how if you point out any similarities between the two candidates, even if it's a glaringly obvious one -- namely, both are senile old dudes (and I'm fairly certain Poncer isn't being clinical here; if he's a medical doctor, I'll eat my coffee mug) -- you're immediately insulted by the usual suspects here. A similarity here and there does not equate to duplication. (Alert: I'm a white man and have trouble with tie length. Gasp! I must be just like Donald Trump!!!)

Anyway, your eyes are deceiving you, Poncier. Biden is a middle-aged woman, 180 on the Stanford-Binet, and she just cured Covid-19 and climate change. You should really stop being a greedy fool and just vote for her.

And I would hope that my entire family is honest about my mental faculties deteriorating in my old age. They certainly wouldn't be doing me any favors by ignoring it.

:rofl:

Bravo, sir.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    A real president waits his turn to speak, even when he disagrees with his opponent. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--iR1sTIXM
    A mature adult waits their turn

This was another glaring example that the so-called president is an immature petulant spoiled child
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

Neither was even close to being senile.  That's just a pejorative.  There's no way you could have watched this debate and came to that conclusion.  Trump was a lunatic as usual.  That's not senile, that's intentional.  Biden was square on his game.  I doubt if many people leveling senility accusations could have possibly stayed as focused as Biden while the POTUS is yelling insults at you while trying to make a point.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    It was awful.  Trump provides zero substance or policy.  It's all a big scam.  You could tell he didnt prepare at all outside of his big "points" such as the stupid thing about Biden's son.  Trump's face was turning purple and more bloated as the thing went on.  I was concerned he was going to drop dead.

Overall it's just embarassing.  It gave me anxiety to watch.  

My biggest takeaway was the general promise not to accept the election, as well as the call to "stand by" to a right wing group who is heavily armed and violent, along with "poll watchers"
    Yeah you could tell that the Hunter Biden stuff was his most rehearsed and it fell flat as hell.  

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    I had higher hopes for Joe to be quicker on his feet and shows some wit.  Unfortunately that didn't occur.  I felt like he had numerous opportunities to grab the moment that he just let pass by.  His one big "win" of the night was talking to the American people, talking about 7 million Covid cases and 200,000+ deaths.  Talking about 40,000+ cases more each day and 750-1000 deaths each day.  And trumps response "It is what it is".

Biden's line "It is what it is because you are who you are" was powerful, accurate  and amazing.  Hopefully people listened and let it sink in.

Biden's second moment came near the end in regards to his sons.  I still think he missed the moment in full, but he showed honesty, compassion, and just being a human being.

There were no winners from last nights debate because we didn't have a debate.  In understand how hard it is to be on stage with an interrupting liar like Trump...and still wished Biden would have been able to own the stage.  But he couldn't.  He certainly didn't hurt himself though, so there is that.  I'm not sure I can watch anymore....and I'm not sure I can turn away.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

Neither was even close to being senile.  That's just a pejorative.  There's no way you could have watched this debate and came to that conclusion.  Trump was a lunatic as usual.  That's not senile, that's intentional.  Biden was square on his game.  I doubt if many people leveling senility accusations could have possibly stayed as focused as Biden while the POTUS is yelling insults at you while trying to make a point.  
    Yes, I addressed that Poncier was likely not being clinical. People misuse behavioral/mental health phrases such as senile, manic, addict(ed), antisocial, schizo, depressed, etc. every second.  Pretty sure I've been called all of those. 

I'm fairly certain that I don't need to explain this to anyone, but here we are.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

Yes, I addressed that Poncier was likely not being clinical. People misuse behavioral/mental health phrases such as senile, manic, addict(ed), antisocial, schizo, depressed, etc. every second.  Pretty sure I've been called all of those. 

I'm fairly certain that I don't need to explain this to anyone, but here we are.
    So anyone over a certain age is senile?  I don't understand throwing around insults and then saying "that's not what I really mean".  When I say Trump is a lunatic, I mean it. 
  • Options
    I had higher hopes for Joe to be quicker on his feet and shows some wit.  Unfortunately that didn't occur.  I felt like he had numerous opportunities to grab the moment that he just let pass by.  His one big "win" of the night was talking to the American people, talking about 7 million Covid cases and 200,000+ deaths.  Talking about 40,000+ cases more each day and 750-1000 deaths each day.  And trumps response "It is what it is".

Biden's line "It is what it is because you are who you are" was powerful, accurate  and amazing.  Hopefully people listened and let it sink in.

Biden's second moment came near the end in regards to his sons.  I still think he missed the moment in full, but he showed honesty, compassion, and just being a human being.

There were no winners from last nights debate because we didn't have a debate.  In understand how hard it is to be on stage with an interrupting liar like Trump...and still wished Biden would have been able to own the stage.  But he couldn't.  He certainly didn't hurt himself though, so there is that.  I'm not sure I can watch anymore....and I'm not sure I can turn away.
    No one can own the stage with tRump unless they act like tRump.  That isn't a compliment.  

Biden just won't go there.  He wants to follow the rules even though tRump won't.  It did piss me off a little how Biden would listen when Wallace would give him the "please let him finish" command even though tRump just completely ignored him.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

So anyone over a certain age is senile?  I don't understand throwing around insults and then saying "that's not what I really mean".  When I say Trump is a lunatic, I mean it. 
    Jesus! I've been called senile for forgetting my password. The person who called me that meant it, too, just not in a clinical sense.

When all you've got is semantics, you really don't have much. I spend every day defending the English language, and even I recognize this.

Perhaps you will, too.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

Jesus! I've been called senile for forgetting my password. The person who called me that meant it, too, just not in a clinical sense.

When all you've got is semantics, you really don't have much. I spend every day defending the English language, and even I recognize this.

Perhaps you will, too.
    Yes, but that's normal because there's no element of truth or application that you could possibly be senile, right?  You understand the language and semantics, so you know damn well there's a huge difference between calling a septuagenarian 'senile' and calling a 30, 40 year old senile.  One is likely to be an intended insult, and the other a joke.  
  • Options
    Poncier said:

If I am losing my faculties in my 70's, especially if I am exhibiting it publicly to the entire world, I would expect my kid to say something.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

Damn, guess I need glasses.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

Perhaps you will, too.
    Yes, but that's normal because there's no element of truth or application that you could possibly be senile, right?  You understand the language and semantics, so you know damn well there's a huge difference between calling a septuagenarian 'senile' and calling a 30, 40 year old senile.  One is likely to be an intended insult, and the other a joke.  
    Regardless of age, calling a public figure "senile" seems more jokey to me than calling a fellow board member a "greedy fool," which is fairly insulting. I understand that the GOP is using the term more negatively, but I really don't think our fellow posters are.

This is nothing new. People have been calling both candidates (and plenty others) some version of senile for a while now. Thing is that the clinical term is less used than the more broad definition -- the first definition M-W will give you is "... of, relating to, exhibiting, or characteristic of old age," adding an especially subentry regarding cognitive ability beneath the main entry -- so even if you want to argue semantics, you've got weak sauce, since you and I have no control over the broader lexicography.

For more from M-W, here are the two example sentences it gives for the senile entry:

Every time I got a government job, I always felt obligated to tell the authorities that I had this mother who had probably been a Communist. It was an annoying piece of baggage. Then eventually she became senile and forgot about politics and actually became very benign.

2. There appears to be little common ground between those who see the paintings [Willem de Kooning's late works] in question as a sublime achievement, a late style comparable to the cut-paper masterpieces of the aging Matisse, and those who describe them as the senile doodlings of a once great artist whose reputation is being damaged for the sake of commercial exploitation.

And two M-W examples from the Web (no shit!):

1. Republicans largely ignored the pandemic while attacking Joe Biden as a senile lifetime politician controlled by his party's far-left wing and incapable of protecting suburban voters from mobs of protesters.

2. Pirro may have yada yada-ed the conspiracy, but the point is clear: The Democratic Party and their enablers are conspiring to replace the senile Biden with the sinister Harris.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

Perhaps you will, too.
    Its pretty clear watching their various public appearances this year that both of the candidates are definitely not as sharp as they once were. If anyone can't recognize that I don't know what to tell you. As Dan points out, I used senile just to enhance the point that they are both not nearly as sharp as they used to be nor as sharp as a candidate for the highest office in our country should be in my opinion, not a clinical diagnosis, Not intended as an insult, but as a descriptor, but take it however you like.
  • Options
    What person at 75 is as sharp as they used to be.