Options

2020 Presidential Debates aka night 1 "The Cleveland Steamer"

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    annnnd i just noticed that someone added "the cleveland steamer" to the thread title since I last saw it before the debate. i literally spit out my water when i saw it.

you're welcome
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    will the town hall have any sort of moderator, or will it be just trump shouting?
    Probably both.

completely different format. there will be a host/moderator. citizens will ask questions of each candidate. let fuckstick pull that shit in front of joe or jane citizen and see their reply.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    I've seen a lot of posts and comments about how people turned this off because it was absurd.  I don't disagree with how absurd it was, but that's what makes it extremely important and I hope (HOPE!) Americans were watching and listening very carefully to the whole debate. 

Trump wants you to talk about how ugly this was.  He wants you to talk about how 'rude' he was. Because it takes attention from the fact that this clown has no idea what he is doing. 

He showed that he is not just doing nothing about the racial and social divides in your country, but as Biden put it, he is in fact adding fuel to the fires.

He proved his is an egotistical, narcissistic, bigot. That's not fake news. That's not some pundit. This is based on his words and actions. 

He denied climate change... saying he wants "crystal clear waters and clear skies"  (gimme a %&^*#! break) but said nothing about how to obtain that goal. And within minutes defended the energy sector and made sure to point out how important it was to the economy. 

He took a question about race relations and within seconds defended the police.  THE institution that is causing the racial divide in America. 

He has no plan for COVID. He says that masks are good and important (pulls the prop out of his jacket) Yet his family is in the front row actively disobeying a mask rule in the building.  He insults Biden's gatherings being too  small wanting the public to believe that he is so much cooler than Biden and that's why Biden doesn't have bigger rallies. No Don, Biden gives a crap about public health and the public in general you flaming pile of dog excrement. 

He has no plan for health care. 

He showed how fearful he is of losing, and thus telling the world and the country that this election is set to be rigged without an ounce of evidence. Only someone like Donald Trump, someone so little and insecure, would willingly toss democracy out the window and disrespect the flag, the oath of office, and every POTUS before him, just to protect his own image. 

He showed how much of an asshole he was by taking the spotlight away from Biden as he tried to defend his son by insulting his other son. This coming after being criticized for calling dead soldiers losers and suckers. (Something Trump did not deny to the best of my knowledge.)

It is completely remarkable that his clown is the POTUS.  Remarkable. This election is without a doubt the most important in American history. 
    Great post. Agree 100%
    2nd it!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dignin said:
    That seems like great news. 100,000 volunteers is great.

Be curious to see numbers from the Trump campaign during the debate. If they don't release any that answers itself.
    Said the exact same thing to my wife after reading the tweet to her. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Like many, my chief complaint about the debate last night was that it was a shouting match.  My wife suggested that every time Trump interrupted Biden, Joe should have taken the approach you take with an unruly child: stand straight with your arms crossed and stare at him  until he quiets down and then ask for you time back (which Biden did a couple of times).  Show Trump who is the adult in the room.  Three men all shouting at the same times makes for chaos, not debate, and no one looks the better.
    The problem is that Trump would never stop. It would be 90 minutes of a Twitter feed. 

I think the only answer then is a mic shut-off switch controlled by the moderator.  I don't know why they don't have that for debates anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Like many, my chief complaint about the debate last night was that it was a shouting match.  My wife suggested that every time Trump interrupted Biden, Joe should have taken the approach you take with an unruly child: stand straight with your arms crossed and stare at him  until he quiets down and then ask for you time back (which Biden did a couple of times).  Show Trump who is the adult in the room.  Three men all shouting at the same times makes for chaos, not debate, and no one looks the better.
    The problem is that Trump would never stop. It would be 90 minutes of a Twitter feed. 

I think the only answer then is a mic shut-off switch controlled by the moderator.  I don't know why they don't have that for debates anyway.
    Because they are about ratings, always have been.
    I would prefer to see people muted, for sure.  It made the Democratic ones unwatchable as well....Bernie and Elizabeth screaming at each other uggg.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    All I know is that after 2020 and DJT we are never going back to normal.  Pandora’s box has been opened.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I would prefer to see people muted, for sure.  It made the Democratic ones unwatchable as well....Bernie and Elizabeth screaming at each other uggg.

Well sheee-it, partner, if rating is what they want, why not give the contestants tasers?  Make them ratings sky rocket!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

commission on presidential debates is looking to have just that....

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    edited October 2020
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

There's no commercials.  How do they generate revenue?
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

commission on presidential debates is looking to have just that....

Well, son of a gun!  Looks like maybe so:

Next Trump-Biden debate rules to change, with a possible mic mute, after an ugly first round

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Well for the stations showing, that is a good question.  Perhaps it is a promotional play, that they are "important" enough to rank to show the debates?  A huge audience is going to look at that show so if your network doesn't show it there is 0 chance they are going to watch it there or have that connection?
    Not sure....but I imagine if someone here works in TV advertising they could shine a light on it.

For the commission or whomever puts the shit on?  I think it lends their event gravitas (and this stations wanting to air it and people wanting to watch.
    We know the majority of people would rather watch a trainwreck than an intelligent discussion of ideas and positions.

Anyway, just my two cents ...there certainly has to be a reason they never put a mic cut option in place even though this is not a new issue.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Well for the stations showing, that is a good question.  Perhaps it is a promotional play, that they are "important" enough to rank to show the debates?  A huge audience is going to look at that show so if your network doesn't show it there is 0 chance they are going to watch it there or have that connection?
    Not sure....but I imagine if someone here works in TV advertising they could shine a light on it.

For the commission or whomever puts the shit on?  I think it lends their event gravitas (and this stations wanting to air it and people wanting to watch.
    We know the majority of people would rather watch a trainwreck than an intelligent discussion of ideas and positions.

Anyway, just my two cents ...there certainly has to be a reason they never put a mic cut option in place even though this is not a new issue.
    It's never been as bad a last night. An occasional interruption sure, but not the entire night. You've got 2 presidential candidates so you'd think there'd be some decorum.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Decorum?  Good luck.

Next time they'll probably pull a Ukraine :lol:
    https://youtu.be/fT65rlutaC8
  • Options

….funny reference which I would like to pick up ;)

I have seen the debate as well, watched it in the middle of the night for around 15 minutes but then I had to turn it off. It was too saddening…

Maybe it is just me who has a kind of special connection to the US due to my years in Portland/OR, or who is just addicted to CNN news, but either way it must be considered that whatever happens in the USA has also a huge impact on the Western World in general, being the leading nation and our big brother, somehow.

And we already experience the impact of your sitting president and his favor for radical right groups as QAnon is on a big rise here, as well. Also anti- democracy thinking is taken out on the streets by thousands of people under the cover of Anti- Corona demonstrations, supported by too many neo- nazis. It is very scary, especially considering Germany’s history!

And although European and German officials are totally silent about the developments in the USA, there are huge worries by the public. I mean, Germany, to me, is kind of a little sister as the US made us who we are now, after WWII and Hitler and now we just love democracy and our freedom, living the American spirit.

So yes, I am worried myself, but I tell myself over and over: We are more, right? (all the ones on the left and in the middle…)

… so there is Hope for a better time all after, when this “vile fucked up human” has left office and this hope is based on YOU! 

.... so thanks for sharing your comments and thoughts, they are reallys strengthen this hope big times :)

there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options

….funny reference which I would like to pick up ;)

I have seen the debate as well, watched it in the middle of the night for around 15 minutes but then I had to turn it off. It was too saddening…

Maybe it is just me who has a kind of special connection to the US due to my years in Portland/OR, or who is just addicted to CNN news, but either way it must be considered that whatever happens in the USA has also a huge impact on the Western World in general, being the leading nation and our big brother, somehow.

And we already experience the impact of your sitting president and his favor for radical right groups as QAnon is on a big rise here, as well. Also anti- democracy thinking is taken out on the streets by thousands of people under the cover of Anti- Corona demonstrations, supported by too many neo- nazis. It is very scary, especially considering Germany’s history!

And although European and German officials are totally silent about the developments in the USA, there are huge worries by the public. I mean, Germany, to me, is kind of a little sister as the US made us who we are now, after WWII and Hitler and now we just love democracy and our freedom, living the American spirit.

So yes, I am worried myself, but I tell myself over and over: We are more, right? (all the ones on the left and in the middle…)

… so there is Hope for a better time all after, when this “vile fucked up human” has left office and this hope is based on YOU! 

.... so thanks for sharing your comments and thoughts, they are reallys strengthen this hope big times :)

As bad as things are here in America right now (the worst it has even been in my life time, ) I am very sorry to hear about your concerns for Germany.  I am especially concerned that our radical right is somehow giving strength to anti-democracy thinking in your country.  I must write to my friends in Muenster soon and see how they are doing.  (Dieter and his partner are really great guys and I would be very saddened for them if things are going badly there.)

Thanks for having Hope, breakmarysfall, we all need more of that! 

• Options
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

It's never been as bad a last night. An occasional interruption sure, but not the entire night. You've got 2 presidential candidates so you'd think there'd be some decorum.
    I agree with that....but it has been bad plenty of years before.  As we come to see more and more rude behavior as being normal it keeps getting worse.  (Much worse with the likes of Trump)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969

A CNBC/Change Research poll conducted Tuesday night and Wednesday found 53% of likely voters nationwide said Biden did a better job in the debate, compared with 29% for Trump. The poll also found 45% of those surveyed saying Trump performed worse than expectations, while 11% said the same for Biden. 

But just 2% of respondents said the debate changed their vote, versus 98% who said it didn’t.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/01/biden-leads-polls-voters-say-he-beat-trump-in-first-debate.html

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana