Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Anyone know if she still had the "Trump won" mask on when talking about her trip down the rabbit hole?
    No, a much classier free speech one instead. Fucking liar. What a joke. Someone told her to recant even though her beliefs haven't changed. Another closet Nazi fuck.
    Free speech, what a bunch of crap.  Last I check she isn't in jail for her lies.  Free speech doesn't mean free from consequences.  From what I can tell, she will be removed with a majority.  If her speech was intended to win over some D's so she doesn't lose, that facemask is counter productive for sure.  From what I read every D plus 10 to 15 R will vote to remove her.  
    I hope so...she needs to go away
    Well remember, this is not expulsion from Congress.  This is to remove her from the two committees (maybe three) where she received a seat.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Anyone know if she still had the "Trump won" mask on when talking about her trip down the rabbit hole?
    No, a much classier free speech one instead. Fucking liar. What a joke. Someone told her to recant even though her beliefs haven't changed. Another closet Nazi fuck.
    Free speech, what a bunch of crap.  Last I check she isn't in jail for her lies.  Free speech doesn't mean free from consequences.  From what I can tell, she will be removed with a majority.  If her speech was intended to win over some D's so she doesn't lose, that facemask is counter productive for sure.  From what I read every D plus 10 to 15 R will vote to remove her.  
    I hope so...she needs to go away
    Well remember, this is not expulsion from Congress.  This is to remove her from the two committees (maybe three) where she received a seat.  
    yeah that's fine...anything that knocks her down a few rungs
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Regarding the party that didn't even update its 2020 presidential platform from 2016 and who has always had slicker marketing, gerrymandering, voter suppression and dog whistles on its side and in its corner, I give you this, from the NYTs. So much for "policy" that actually benefits the average repub voter. Both sides are the same.

View in browser|nytimes.com

February 4, 2021

By David Leonhardt

Good morning. Here’s why Joe Biden isn’t more enthusiastic about bipartisan virus talks.

Vice President Kamala Harris, President Biden and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer in the Oval Office.Stefani Reynolds for The New York Times

The Lucy theory of politics

To understand the back and forth over President Biden’s coronavirus relief bill, it helps to look back at a little history.
    In Bill Clinton’s first weeks as president, he pushed for legislation meant to reduce the deficit, bring down interest rates and spark the economy. It received no votes from Republicans in the House or the Senate and passed only when Vice President Al Gore broke a 50-50 Senate tie.

In Barack Obama’s first weeks as president, he pushed for legislation to halt the financial crisis and revive the economy. It received no votes from House Republicans and only three from Senate Republicans, one of whom (Arlen Specter) soon switched parties.
    This week, when I first saw the Biden administration’s unenthusiastic reaction to a coronavirus proposal from Senate Republicans, I was confused. Biden views himself as a dealmaker, and a president typically benefits from forging a bipartisan compromise.

So why isn’t Biden pursuing a two-step strategy — first pouring himself into a bipartisan deal and then following up with a Democratic bill that fills in the pieces he thinks were missing? Why does he instead seem to be leaning toward a single bill that would need only Democratic support to pass?
    The answer has a lot to do with history: For decades, congressional Republicans have opposed — almost unanimously — any top priority of an incoming Democratic president. Biden and his aides believe they will be playing Charlie Brown to a Republican Lucy if they imagine this time will be different.

The parties aren’t the same
    Democrats, of course, also tend to oppose Republican presidents’ policies and often try to obstruct them. But on the question of legislative compromise, there really has been a recent difference between the parties. (Which can be a difficult thing for us journalists to acknowledge: We’re more comfortable portraying the parties as mirror images of each other.)

In 2001, George W. Bush’s tax cut was supported by 12 Democrats in the Senate and 28 in the House. His education bill also received significant Democratic support, as did multiple virus relief bills during Donald Trump’s presidency. Some Democrats saw these bills as opportunities to win policy concessions.
    Republicans have a taken different tack. Perhaps the clearest example is Obamacare, the final version of which received no Republican votes even though it included conservative ideas and Obama was eager to include more in exchange for Republican support. But top Republicans, led by Senator Mitch McConnell, thought that any support of the bill would strengthen Obama and weaken them.

“It’s either bipartisan or it isn’t,” McConnell told The Times in 2010, explaining the strategy.
    Counting to 10

On the surface, this time seems different, given that 10 Republican senators went to the White House on Monday to talk with Biden about a compromise virus bill. But that meeting may have been as much about show, on both sides, as substance.

Senator Susan Collins and other Republican senators after a meeting with President Biden on Monday.Doug Mills/The New York Times

Of the 10 Republicans, a few — like Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski and Mitt Romney — have occasionally sided with Democrats on a major issue. Others, however, have not — including Jerry Moran of Kansas, Mike Rounds of South Dakota and Todd Young of Indiana. And Biden would need at least 10 Republican votes to overcome a filibuster. With any fewer, he would be back to pursuing the same 51-vote strategy (known as reconciliation) he now seems to be pursuing.
    Democrats’ central fear is a repeat of Obamacare, in which months of negotiation in 2009 nonetheless ended without Republican support. Biden would have then wasted his first months in office — and the country would have gone without additional money for vaccination, virus testing, unemployment insurance and more.

As Carl Hulse, The Times’s chief Washington correspondent, told me: “Democrats, including many now in the White House, remember 2009 very clearly, and they fear being strung along for months only to come away empty-handed. That’s not to say Republicans aren’t bargaining in good faith, but holding that 10 together could be difficult.”
    Biden himself has made the same point in private conversations. “He said, basically, ‘I don’t want to go down the path we went down in 2009, when we negotiated for eight months and still didn’t have a product,’” Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia said on “Morning Joe” yesterday.

One more point: Neither side is committing itself to a strategy yet. If Democrats proceed with the reconciliation approach, they and Republicans can continue negotiating over the substance of the bill. Bush used reconciliation for his 2001 tax cut and still received 40 votes from congressional Democrats in the end.
    The latest: Biden met with congressional Democrats at the White House yesterday. He said he was open to restricting eligibility for his proposed $1,400-per-person checks but not to reducing the maximum amount. “I’m not going to start my administration by breaking a promise to people,” Biden reportedly said.

POLITICS

Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia.Anna Moneymaker for The New York Times

• The House will vote today on whether to strip Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene of two committee seats. Before her election, Greene endorsed calls to execute Democratic politicians and spread conspiracy theories.
    • Representative Kevin McCarthy, the House Republican leader, declined to revoke Greene’s assignments on his own.
    • House Republicans voted in a secret ballot to keep Representative Liz Cheney, the No. 3 Republican, in her leadership position. Cheney voted to impeach President Donald Trump last month.

OTHER BIG STORIES

• The Justice Department charged three more people over the assault on the Capitol.
    • Canada has declared the Proud Boys a terrorist group. (This Wall Street Journal video documents the far-right group’s involvement in the Capitol riot.)
    • An Amber Alert sent to Texans called Chucky, the killer doll from the “Child’s Play” movies, a kidnapping suspect. Officials said it was a test malfunction.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,796

The GOP talks a good game, but let’s review those conservative principles

Old Republican slogans of ‘law and order’ and ‘personal responsibility’ no longer work

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said everybody across this country bore some responsibility for the Jan 6 attack on the Capitol So much for the party of personal responsibility Curtis writes Caroline BrehmanCQ Roll Call file photo
    House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said “everybody across this country” bore some responsibility for the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol. So much for the party of personal responsibility, Curtis writes. (Caroline Brehman/CQ Roll Call file photo)

Posted February 4, 2021 at 6:00am

What is the Republican Party in 2021? It’s easier to say what it’s not.

With a majority of the party’s House members voting to invalidate the results of a free and fair election, and a good chunk of its voters going along with the fantasy that Donald Trump was robbed, it’s clear the GOP is not a stickler for democracy or the Constitution. And with most Republican senators not interested in holding an impeachment trial for a former president accused of “inciting an insurrection,” Americans can be pretty sure the party is not too keen on accountability.

It’s not a new contradiction. But while it’s true that the GOP has long instructed voters not to “look behind the curtain,” the mess that is spilling out has become impossible to ignore. The sight of thousands of violent rioters storming the center of legislative government will do that.

So what are just a few of the slogans that have crumbled?

Law and order

How about starting with “law and order,” one of the losing 2020 presidential candidate’s favorite mantras, usually followed with a chaser of “back the blue”? While Trump condemned and cursed football players who peacefully knelt to protest a too often unjust justice system, the real “thugs” turned out to be violent rioters armed with hockey sticks, guns and pretty much anything they could get their hands on, who stormed the U.S. Capitol and caused several deaths, among them a member of “the blue.”

An overwhelming number of police unions backed the man whose speech set the stage for the Capitol assault. “You’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength, and you have to be strong,” Trump said.

But what those sickening video and audio clips displayed — outnumbered law enforcement officers beaten unmercifully — was brutality, not strength. The weapon reportedly used on Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick, honored in the Capitol Rotunda this week, who died from injuries sustained during the pro-Trump riot? A fire extinguisher. The Capitol Police union has said that about 140 officers suffered injuries, including cracked ribs and smashed spinal discs.

Do blue lives matter only in opposition to Black lives? Does a crowd dominated by white criminals get a pass when it comes to breaking laws and sowing disorder? From Florida, Trump is silent on that question as he reportedly continues to proclaim the election lie that sustained his supporters and while the Biden Justice Department plays catch-up on the threat of white supremacists downplayed under Trump.

The patriot party

No more the party of “patriots,” not when a retired Army lieutenant general and Trump confidant floated the idea of martial law, making a mockery of every oath he swore allegiance to. You’d think disgraced former national security adviser Michael Flynn would have stayed out of sight for a while after admitting to lying to the FBI and winning a “get out of jail free” card from his buddy Trump. Instead, he continued doubling down on false claims of a stolen election.

Add to that a president who threw in with the law-breakers who toted the flag of traitors, the Confederate battle flag, inside the Capitol and used the Stars and Stripes as a blunt instrument. “We love you,” Trump tweeted.

The Patriot Party, reportedly considered as a possible label for Trump’s maybe third-party offshoot for the disaffected and delusional, seems fitting and comically ironic.

Besides the campaigning from current Republican leadership to move on from impeachment, a future face of the party, former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley — after criticizing Trump’s postelection attempts to hold on to power and his actions on Jan. 6 — said impeachment would be too divisive: “I mean, give the man a break. I mean, move on.”

Personal responsibility

The party of personal responsibility? I guess that too has to be banished from the GOP mission statement.

There were pardons for Trump allies, a rogue’s gallery of accused and convicted criminals, and excuses from those arrested during the Capitol riot that make “the dog ate my homework” sound reasonable.

Derrick Evans, a Republican state lawmaker from West Virginia, confronted with video of him breaching the Capitol and chanting Trump’s name, tried to explain it away with a statement that he “was simply there as an independent member of the media to film history.” The now “former” official faces federal charges.

It seems that when things go terribly wrong, it’s nobody’s fault.

Or everybody’s fault.

When a minority of Black Lives Matter-inspired protests devolved into incidents of night-time looting, every Democrat, especially Joe Biden, was blamed by Republicans, despite Biden’s repeated and emphatic condemnations of violence of any kind.

When the rioters on Jan. 6 used “Trump 2020” flags to maim and destroy, well, according to House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who recently made a Florida pilgrimage to symbolically kiss Trump’s ring, “everybody across this country” bore some responsibility.

… Not as I do

All I know from growing up in a working-class Black Baltimore neighborhood vilified by many who never lived there is that those kinds of excuses would land someone like me under the jail.

For Republicans, it can mean a ticket to the House of Representatives.

The hateful words of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene did not hinder her easy election in her deep-red Georgia district. But instead of either apologizing for or proudly owning the racist and anti-Semitic rants, the conspiracy theories and the beliefs that school shootings were staged and more that filled her social media feed, she, of course, first palmed her most incendiary claims off on others, writing that she has had “teams of people manage my pages.”

Nothing could erase the video of a grown woman stalking a teenage survivor of a school shooting and harassing him with yelled threats while bragging about being armed. And she called him a “coward.”

The Republican Party may be a bit discomfited by Greene’s behavior, but the party groomed her, accepted her and now owns her. Trump is her champion and she is his acolyte.

I’ve written about how my mother identified as a Republican with her generally moderate, socially liberal views, a holdout for the “party of Lincoln.” But she became disillusioned when the Southern strategy that picked off voters angered by Democratic President Lyndon Johnson’s signature on civil rights legislation presented a ripe, though rancid, opportunity.

That bargain yielded results, but it has come back to haunt the Republican Party. What is the party now, if not Donald Trump, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Proud Boys, Oath Keepers, white domestic terrorists and a Senate whose GOP members most probably will deny — with a “not guilty” judgment — their party’s connection to an insurrection that put their own lives in danger?

As Republicans ponder who truly represents their values — Greene or Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney, who committed the sin of voting for Trump’s impeachment for his conduct before, after and on that historically dark day of Jan. 6 — the party has made one thing clear. Its future, and a chance at retaking the House in 2022, depends not on “inclusion,” another word it has no claim to, but on tougher voting restrictions and redistricting hardball, choosing its voters rather than letting voters in fairly drawn, nonpartisan districts choose them.

The Grand Old Party is going to have to come up with some new slogans and principles.

It won’t be pretty.

Mary C. Curtis has worked at The New York Times, The Baltimore Sun, The Charlotte Observer, as national correspondent for Politics Daily, and is a senior facilitator with The OpEd Project. Follow her on Twitter @mcurtisnc3.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

worked so well last time
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

worked so well last time
    Look at that guy.  What a complete loser. Get a friggin life. 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    mickeyrat said:

worked so well last time
    man i believe sherman would gladly come back here for another march through georgia.

he is buried 8 miles from here. have visited him a few times.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

worked so well last time
    Funny thing is Sherman would have slapped the shit out of that guy for doing that w the flag.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

worked so well last time
    Funny thing is Sherman would have slapped the shit out of that guy for doing that w the flag.
    Well it's the Stars and Bars so Sherman would have burned down his house, not slapped him. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

worked so well last time
    Well it's the Stars and Bars so Sherman would have burned down his house, not slapped him. 
    After he slapped him for wearing a flag.  Sorry, I should have mentioned the house burning too...
  • Options
    Not one member of the repub senate voted for President Biden's $1.9 trillion covid stimulus bill. Not one. But I'll bet almost every single one of them voted for that $1.6 trillion tax cut, 80+% of which went to the top 10% though. Remember that, although not likely most will, and let me know how that trickle down works. Suckers.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Not one member of the repub senate voted for President Biden's $1.9 trillion covid stimulus bill. Not one. But I'll bet almost every single one of them voted for that $1.6 trillion tax cut, 80+% of which went to the top 10% though. Remember that, although not likely most will, and let me know how that trickle down works. Suckers.
    I think Biden played it smart.  Whether he was ever going to compromise, I don't know.  But the optics of it were certainly there.  At the end of the day, the plan is popular nationwide, so this is a big win for Biden and America right off the bat.  
    The normalcy and competency of this administration has been beautiful thus far.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Agreed...about the most controversial thing he's done is the transgender/military order.  Even that has greater than 50% public approval.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Agreed...about the most controversial thing he's done is the transgender/military order.  Even that has greater than 50% public approval.
    Wrong. He flew to Delaware when he should have taken AmTrak.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I think Biden played it smart.  Whether he was ever going to compromise, I don't know.  But the optics of it were certainly there.  At the end of the day, the plan is popular nationwide, so this is a big win for Biden and America right off the bat.  
    The normalcy and competency of this administration has been beautiful thus far.  
    I love the smell of competence in the morning.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Wrong. He flew to Delaware when he should have taken AmTrak.
    So bizarre.  That's 'tan suit' territory right there.  
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    I don’t blame them.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I don’t blame them.
    Why not?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I don’t blame them.
    Why not?
    Cause it’s a bad bill. It’s a waste and not targeted enough. But then again the same people didn’t create and deliver what was needed over the last year so fuck them too.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I don’t blame them.
    Their counter was insufficient.  Using the deficit as an excuse is utterly laughable.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I don’t blame them.
    Their counter was insufficient.  Using the deficit as an excuse is utterly laughable.  
    Yeah I agree. Notice my post previous to this one 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I don’t blame them.
    Why not?
    Cause it’s a bad bill. It’s a waste and not targeted enough. But then again the same people didn’t create and deliver what was needed over the last year so fuck them too.
    Both sides are the same. But the tax cut was perfect, right? I’m not sure what was bad in your mind, the previous stimulus, which had a shit administration trying to implement and/or the tax cut, being sound fiscal policy?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I don’t blame them.
    Yeah I agree. Notice my post previous to this one 
    I was concerned about waste initially as well, but then I read Moody's Analytics analysis of the 1.9 package.  It's overseen by Mark Zandi who is a moderate economist that I respect very much.  If you're inclined, here's the the analysis. Focus specifically on the unemployment rate based on the package.  https://www.moodysanalytics.com/-/media/article/2021/economic-assessment-of-biden-fiscal-rescue-package.pdf
    If you're not a reader, here's an interview with him on CNN

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/01/22/mark-zandi-coronavirus-economy-stimulus-sot-vpx.cnn
  • Options

• Options
    I don’t blame them.
    Why not?
    Both sides are the same. But the tax cut was perfect, right? I’m not sure what was bad in your mind, the previous stimulus, which had a shit administration trying to implement and/or the tax cut, being sound fiscal policy?
    The current Biden bailout gives not enough $ where needed and too much where not.

The previous “stimulus” check from trump was equally awful and only done to try and buy votes.

The tax plan they came up with was crappy
    as hell.

All these things can be bad, just cause Biden is president doesn’t make it automatically good. and you are the only one comparing them.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I do wish 1 party actually cared about deficits by the way...when times are good. The republicans has a tremendous opportunity and screwed the pooch. In the midst of a pandemic, the deficit isn’t at the top of the list. But when we are past it, I hope someone takes it seriously.  I’d bet on the moderate Dems to be the ones. The gop is dead for a awhile.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I do wish 1 party actually cared about deficits by the way...when times are good. The republicans has a tremendous opportunity and screwed the pooch. In the midst of a pandemic, the deficit isn’t at the top of the list. But when we are past it, I hope someone takes it seriously.  I’d bet on the moderate Dems to be the ones. The gop is dead for a awhile.

since jan 20 gop cares aboit deficits again

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    One party does care about deficits much more than the other.

It's not the one, or their constituents, who pretend to care though.