Options

Nate Silver 538

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Just imagine the reaction if a president Bush would have been talking about voter fraud like tRump does.  It would be huge news.  Now it's just another stupid tweet.  Yet I fear that he is up to something behind the scenes.  Hopefully I'm just paranoid.

This WI supreme court thing is odd...especially given the issues with the postal service.  It's like they are working together right?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited October 2020
    Just imagine the reaction if a president Bush would have been talking about voter fraud like tRump does.  It would be huge news.  Now it's just another stupid tweet.  Yet I fear that he is up to something behind the scenes.  Hopefully I'm just paranoid.

This WI supreme court thing is odd...especially given the issues with the postal service.  It's like they are working together right?
    They essentially are. The entire party wants one party rule and they’re willing to allow a Trump dictatorship to make it happen.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    538 puts GA back in Biden's column.....Nate says 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,253
    OnWis97 said:

They essentially are. The entire party wants one party rule and they’re willing to allow a Trump dictatorship to make it happen.
    We all know that if Republicans had won the popular vote for the last 30 years in every election, but were only elected half of the time, they would have damn sure changed the rules. All they have been doing the last 10 years though is ensuring that the voice of the majority does not actually mean control. Every year they make minor adjustments that impact how votes against them can be discarded. You see it with the weakening of the USPS and now WI disregarding votes that are postmarked before the election, but don't arrive by 8pm that day. The stage was set months ago and now that the SCOTUS is a partisan group of hacks, shit like this can be upheld.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    OnWis97 said:

We all know that if Republicans had won the popular vote for the last 30 years in every election, but were only elected half of the time, they would have damn sure changed the rules. All they have been doing the last 10 years though is ensuring that the voice of the majority does not actually mean control. Every year they make minor adjustments that impact how votes against them can be discarded. You see it with the weakening of the USPS and now WI disregarding votes that are postmarked before the election, but don't arrive by 8pm that day. The stage was set months ago and now that the SCOTUS is a partisan group of hacks, shit like this can be upheld.

In 2000, there were some believers that Gore might win the election despite Bush winning the popular vote. I really, really wanted that to happen because I thought it might lead to a change (and because Gore would have won).  Unfortunately the opposite happened and the same people that ripped Clinton for not getting a majority (thanks to Perot) were silent on Bush not getting a plurality.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    Just so everyone knows - models do not take into account for disruption and/or court fuckery (legal term). So take that little laptop of yours, get a Google Voice number, create a script, and copy & paste it to everyone you know via text to make sure everyone and their mothers are voting.
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 507
    Just so everyone knows - models do not take into account for disruption and/or court fuckery (legal term). So take that little laptop of yours, get a Google Voice number, create a script, and copy & paste it to everyone you know via text to make sure everyone and their mothers are voting.
    Read a thread on Twitter that I can’t find again but the gist of it was that exit polls in states with GOP lead legislatures were often off from the final vote counts.  People came out thinking that they voted but their vote was provisional due some type of suppression fuckery and ultimately not counted.  And this was only happening in GOP areas.  In Dem locations the exit polling very closely matched the final voting margins.  It’s not just the vote that matters, it’s the count.  Got to be extra vigilant to make sure your vote is being counted especially all of you mail in voters.  Got to follow the process to a T or else you’re opening your vote up to GOP fuckery.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    it's just insane to me (and probably other non-americans) how your country's elections and other things of that nature resemble that of a country with a dictator. it's crazy that this shit can be done. you don't hear about anything remotely like this in canada. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,324
    edited October 2020
    OnWis97 said:

Really? Wait and see how quickly they kick him to the curb once he loses. Some are already starting to try and distance themselves. We can't let them though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Really? Wait and see how quickly they kick him to the curb once he loses. Some are already starting to try and distance themselves. We can't let them though. 
    the next round of mid terms you'll have nervous repub senators coming out saying trump was a mistake. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I guess the positive spin on the Wisconsin issue (and maybe PA as they're trying to take it back to the Supreme Court) is that so many people have actually listed and voted so early this time around. Hoping that makes the difference.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    538 puts GA back in Biden's column.....Nate says 

Wow it has been a week since there was a poll showing Trump ahead there...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

the next round of mid terms you'll have nervous repub senators coming out saying trump was a mistake. 

That assumes Trump loses. But the one-party law that the GOP is going for is already in play. If we don't know Biden won on the morning of the 4th, it's over; Kavanaugh just said as much.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,155
    it's just insane to me (and probably other non-americans) how your country's elections and other things of that nature resemble that of a country with a dictator. it's crazy that this shit can be done. you don't hear about anything remotely like this in canada. 

It’s bad but not quite like a dictator. It got a lot worse when SCOTUS struck down voting rights protections in Shelby v Holder. Since then, states can do almost whatever TF they want. It’s important to remember, in red states, nearly half the people agree with the voter fraud nonsense. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

One of the benefits of the internet and tech (though there are few) is we've got receipts for allllll of these assholes. They've shown their asses and they should all be tied up by their Buster Browns.
  • Options
    bootleg said:
    Read a thread on Twitter that I can’t find again but the gist of it was that exit polls in states with GOP lead legislatures were often off from the final vote counts.  People came out thinking that they voted but their vote was provisional due some type of suppression fuckery and ultimately not counted.  And this was only happening in GOP areas.  In Dem locations the exit polling very closely matched the final voting margins.  It’s not just the vote that matters, it’s the count.  Got to be extra vigilant to make sure your vote is being counted especially all of you mail in voters.  Got to follow the process to a T or else you’re opening your vote up to GOP fuckery.
    Here in Philly we're using a fucking convention center to hold onto ballots until they're allowed to be counted on the 3rd. It's "heavily guarded", but still, whatever that's worth.
  • Options
    bootleg said:
    Still nervous as hell about this whole thing.   Really hoping Dems flood the polls and don’t rely on maili in ballots.  We need to win this thing big on election night to take away any chance of bull shit going down in the Supreme Court.  I hate that this fuck got to appoint 3 SC in one term.  Where is the fucking balance?  Five judges appointed by presidents who lost the popular vote?  And 5 states get to determine the election outcome?  We’ve got a serious problem.  Sorry for the language, it’s just boiling up and I’m tired of being held hostage by the minority.

States get more power than people and that goes back to America’s original sin.

The only thing Dems can do is add states and judges if they win congress and presidency. Schumer was clearly threatening something yesterday with his “you get no say if we are in the majority next year (a clear threat to end the filibuster)”, but he is famous for backing down. 

Ending the filibuster on its own does little as whatever gets passed into law would only flip the next time the govt control flips. Adding states that should be blue would be the biggest change to partisan political power since the civil rights act.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:

That assumes Trump loses. But the one-party law that the GOP is going for is already in play. If we don't know Biden won on the morning of the 4th, it's over; Kavanaugh just said as much.
    a) trump is going to lose and I think we'll know pretty early and it's going to be decisive. 
    b) kavanaugh is trump in a robe and has a bone to pick with democrats. he is also one justice, not the be all. 
    c) while the conservative judges on the court MAY side with kavanaugh, if they wish to uphold the values of the court, they'll side with precedent (and I don't know what that is, to be honest). sure, they side with conservative values, but they aren't supposed to side with conservative politics. we haven't seen any evidence yet that they will. I know you're the pessimist in chief around here, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to go that way. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97 said:

I think it will be sooner than that. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

One of the benefits of the internet and tech (though there are few) is we've got receipts for allllll of these assholes. They've shown their asses and they should all be tied up by their Buster Browns.
    Absolutely. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I was just listening to some of tRump's speech in Lansing....amazing how he just yammers on about how far ahead he is.  You would think his message would be that it is close and "get out and vote" instead of gloating that he is ahead in states that he clearly trails in.

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,959
    I was just listening to some of tRump's speech in Lansing....amazing how he just yammers on about how far ahead he is.  You would think his message would be that it is close and "get out and vote" instead of gloating that he is ahead in states that he clearly trails in.
    I had that on the TV in the background. As soon as I heard the crowd start chanting - "We love you" - and the smug look on his face, I had to turn it off. It was making my blood pressure rise.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I had that on the TV in the background. As soon as I heard the crowd start chanting - "We love you" - and the smug look on his face, I had to turn it off. It was making my blood pressure rise.

It trump is so far ahead, why is he doing four rallies a day? Do one and go play some golf Donnie, if it’s in the bag.
  • Options
    his ego won't let himself sound the alarm, or act in any way that means he's not winning at every step, all the time. 

hopefully it's what will be his ultimate downfall. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GlowGirl said:

It trump is so far ahead, why is he doing four rallies a day? Do one and go play some golf Donnie, if it’s in the bag.
    Because he loves that shit. That's what the job of President is to him.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Absolutely. 

Trump has a loyal army of followers. Trump will likely start his own media empire and look to be a republican kingmaker, if not a candidate in 2024. He will at the very least have the power to target and primary anyone in congress who is disloyal. I’m just hoping against hope the polls and Nate are correct about the size of that army in one week, but if he loses he will be influential in GOP politics if he wants to. His bigger interest will likely be creating a money making media empire.
  • Options
    So wait, he can run again in 2024 if he wanted to right?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited October 2020
    yeah, but I actually doubt he would.  I bet one of his kids or Kushner goes for it.  
    Donald Trump will be 78.... and frankly, I don't believe his health condition is going to stave off the effects of advanced age.  

He will sit there, sling shit all over our country, and probably continue to hold rallies.  He will remain very influential in the Republican party as he has a literal army of followers who believe he is some sort of messiah.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    If Biden wins convincingly and the dems take back the senate....he's losing a lot of his clout. You're going to hear the Republicans go back to their post Romney loss playbook and figure out how they can actually grow their party as opposed to just playing to a 30% moronic base. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    So wait, he can run again in 2024 if he wanted to right?
    Yes but that won't happen...the repubs won't make that mistake again