Options

Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    nicknyr15 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Federal officers have largely withdrawn from Portland and violence is basically absent from recent nights of protest. Governor Brown tweeted “Last night, the world was watching Portland,“ Brown said in a tweet Friday. “Here’s what they saw: Federal troops left downtown. Local officials protected free speech. And Oregonians spoke out for Black Lives Matter, racial justice, and police accountability.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/01/portland-1000-peacefully-protest-amid-withdrawal-of-federal-agents
    All part of the plan.

nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    He shouldn’t be out there doing that. Did you see how he caused all that agitation? Those people might have burned down that wal mart or something. I hope he learns to stay home and be quiet.
    Instigating white supremacists got this reaction? Weird. Hope he gets a lot of likes for that. What exactly does this prove? That humans are racist? Or only white people are? If I go into my local ghetto with a “back the blue sign” and got called racist names and got a gun pulled on me would I be considered courageous? Or a fucking idiot? Racism exists everywhere in the world , on all sides. Is this “shining a light” on racism? Or exploiting it to go viral? 
    Instigating by holding a sign? Just how snowy of flakes are we talking about here?

”local ghetto”? Super fucking classy way to open your deflection. 
    Deflecting by making a comparison? Answer me this. What was the point of holding a black lives matter sign in KKK county? Reactions? Likes? Viral? I’m just trying to understand what we learned from this. Did he think they would say “hey you know what, you’re right”. These videos just come off as disingenuous and a way to bring attention to themselves rather than the actual cause. It’s my opinion. 
    In other words just don’t go it just let it be nah I give the man a ton of credit..
    Maybe it made him feel like he’s doing his part.

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,722
    nicknyr15 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Federal officers have largely withdrawn from Portland and violence is basically absent from recent nights of protest. Governor Brown tweeted “Last night, the world was watching Portland,“ Brown said in a tweet Friday. “Here’s what they saw: Federal troops left downtown. Local officials protected free speech. And Oregonians spoke out for Black Lives Matter, racial justice, and police accountability.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/01/portland-1000-peacefully-protest-amid-withdrawal-of-federal-agents
    All part of the plan.

nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    He shouldn’t be out there doing that. Did you see how he caused all that agitation? Those people might have burned down that wal mart or something. I hope he learns to stay home and be quiet.
    Instigating white supremacists got this reaction? Weird. Hope he gets a lot of likes for that. What exactly does this prove? That humans are racist? Or only white people are? If I go into my local ghetto with a “back the blue sign” and got called racist names and got a gun pulled on me would I be considered courageous? Or a fucking idiot? Racism exists everywhere in the world , on all sides. Is this “shining a light” on racism? Or exploiting it to go viral? 
    Instigating by holding a sign? Just how snowy of flakes are we talking about here?

Deflecting by making a comparison? Answer me this. What was the point of holding a black lives matter sign in KKK county? Reactions? Likes? Viral? I’m just trying to understand what we learned from this. Did he think they would say “hey you know what, you’re right”. These videos just come off as disingenuous and a way to bring attention to themselves rather than the actual cause. It’s my opinion. 
    In other words just don’t go it just let it be nah I give the man a ton of credit..

Maybe Jose. But with so much focus on likes and going viral, I just don’t buy it. Walking into an area like that, imo, you’re not trying to make a change, you’re looking for a reaction. 
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    It can be both. Odd that you’d be more upset with his method than the shit that was yelled.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    It can be both. Odd that you’d be more upset with his method than the shit that was yelled.
    Sorry. Thought it goes without saying how vile and disgusting white supremacists are. Didn’t think I’d have to actually say that. 
  • Options
    And yet you’re more disgusted that he was holding a sign.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Ok. Sorry if I offended you with my view. It’s odd that that’s all you’re focused on. You haven’t commented on anything I actually said. I’m not disgusted that he was holding a sign. We’ll never know his true motivation, but my feeling is it’s more to bring attention to his fucking Social Media then making a change. It’s real classy that I bring up this point and you are pretty much trying to say I’m racist, what they’re yelling doesn’t bother me and I’m disgusted by him holding a BLM sign.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    DewieCox said:

All part of the plan.

nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:

Maybe Jose. But with so much focus on likes and going viral, I just don’t buy it. Walking into an area like that, imo, you’re not trying to make a change, you’re looking for a reaction. 
    But that’s the whole point of Protesting is to get a reaction to injustices it has to be done, the man has guts I commend him..
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    DewieCox said:

All part of the plan.

nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:

But that’s the whole point of Protesting is to get a reaction to injustices it has to be done, the man has guts I commend him..
    And I respect your opinion 100%. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    I think it shines a light on har far we still need to go as a society.  It shines a light on what black people have to overcome still in 2020. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    I think it shines a light on har far we still need to go as a society.  It shines a light on what black people have to overcome still in 2020. 
    It is extremely important to shine that light on racism and racists.
    Whether it's on a street corner in Harrison, Arkansas or on a Pearl Jam fan board.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Ok. Sorry if I offended you with my view. It’s odd that that’s all you’re focused on. You haven’t commented on anything I actually said. I’m not disgusted that he was holding a sign. We’ll never know his true motivation, but my feeling is it’s more to bring attention to his fucking Social Media then making a change. It’s real classy that I bring up this point and you are pretty much trying to say I’m racist, what they’re yelling doesn’t bother me and I’m disgusted by him holding a BLM sign.
    That’s what I focused on because that is what you’re saying. Sorry if I offended you by using your own words. 

Who are you to judge his motivations? He didn’t go to a Klan rally to get those clips. It’s a perfect response to the many that try to downplay the bullshit. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    DewieCox said:
    That’s what I focused on because that is what you’re saying. Sorry if I offended you by using your own words. 

Who are you to judge his motivations? He didn’t go to a Klan rally to get those clips. It’s a perfect response to the many that try to downplay the bullshit. 
    I can judge whoever I want. You put yourself out there, I can judge and form an opinion about you. Who are you to call Nancy pelosi trash? Who are you to judge my opinion? 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    DewieCox said:

All part of the plan.

nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:

And I respect your opinion 100%. 
    Likewise 100%
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,691
    r-e-s-p-e-c-t... sock it to me!  :smiley: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    r-e-s-p-e-c-t... sock it to me!  :smiley: 
    lol nice 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    BLM protests are there to inconvenience and enlighten. Without something to bring attention to the event, no one would bother.  It should not be destructive, but it should serve its purpose.
    I choose to believe his intentions were genuine otherwise why would you subject yourself to that disgusting behavior/hatred. I don’t have Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. so I don’t understand the whole social media part of his intentions BUT I’m not saying you’re wrong either. Seems like almost everyone’s an ass nowadays so why shouldn’t he be too?  
    This isn’t about saying you’re not racist, this is about doing something to completely level the playing field when the dust has settled.  Racism is usually embedded into most racists from the day they’re born. There’s no unlearning it if you had/have racist parents unless you’re exceptional. I was fortunate that my parents never saw the color of a persons skin, the dirt on their clothes or the amount of money in their pockets so that’s what I learned.
    And if you continuously argue that you’re not racist, then you probably are.  Try doing something to help rather than wasting your time posting/arguing that you’re not a racist. 
    Someone already said it on here I’m sure..actions vs words. 
  • Options
    BLM protests are there to inconvenience and enlighten. Without something to bring attention to the event, no one would bother.  It should not be destructive, but it should serve its purpose.
    I choose to believe his intentions were genuine otherwise why would you subject yourself to that disgusting behavior/hatred. I don’t have Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. so I don’t understand the whole social media part of his intentions BUT I’m not saying you’re wrong either. Seems like almost everyone’s an ass nowadays so why shouldn’t he be too?  
    This isn’t about saying you’re not racist, this is about doing something to completely level the playing field when the dust has settled.  Racism is usually embedded into most racists from the day they’re born. There’s no unlearning it if you had/have racist parents unless you’re exceptional. I was fortunate that my parents never saw the color of a persons skin, the dirt on their clothes or the amount of money in their pockets so that’s what I learned.
    And if you continuously argue that you’re not racist, then you probably are.  Try doing something to help rather than wasting your time posting/arguing that you’re not a racist. 
    First off, I'm going to respond using this definition of racism:  "a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another."

I think it's a great idea that each of us be self aware of our actions and thoughts and examine our own lives to root out any harmful behaviors or false beliefs that are inappropriate.  At the same time, I think it's going way overboard when people say "We are all racists."  That's just not true.  There are people of all colors, nationalities, and cultures who are not racist.  And there are racist within all groups of people as well. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    First off, I'm going to respond using this definition of racism:  "a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another."

I think it's a great idea that each of us be self aware of our actions and thoughts and examine our own lives to root out any harmful behaviors or false beliefs that are inappropriate.  At the same time, I think it's going way overboard when people say "We are all racists."  That's just not true.  There are people of all colors, nationalities, and cultures who are not racist.  And there are racist within all groups of people as well. 

Totally agree with that last part. 

And, I grew up with a completely unbiased father (who by all rights should have been, given his Holocaust and war-related history), and a mother who came to the US at a time when their wasn’t much distaste for her heritage. That’s certainly changed, unfortunately. My mom over time became somewhat racist after her second marriage, but thankfully the good paths were already laid for my sister and me.

Growing up without hate is a wonderful thing.

Living without it can be learned, especially by example. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

And, I grew up with a completely unbiased father (who by all rights should have been, given his Holocaust and war-related history), and a mother who came to the US at a time when their wasn’t much distaste for her heritage. That’s certainly changed, unfortunately. My mom over time became somewhat racist after her second marriage, but thankfully the good paths were already laid for my sister and me.

Excellent thoughts!

• Options
    brianlux said:

Hey sorry if I implied everyone is racist and I was not talking about anyone specific. Most people who post here aren’t over emphasizing their “I’m not racist” statements. I respect what everyone’s is saying and I’m thinking about it. I wasn’t trying to offend anyone, it’s the way I write, I think...but you’re right...many non racists all over the world. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Hey sorry if I implied everyone is racist and I was not talking about anyone specific. Most people who post here aren’t over emphasizing their “I’m not racist” statements. I respect what everyone’s is saying and I’m thinking about it. I wasn’t trying to offend anyone, it’s the way I write, I think...but you’re right...many non racists all over the world. 

Thanks for clarifying, cb4l.  My apologies if I misunderstood or over-reacted. 

Yeah, I think most people here are very cool with respecting a broad spectrum of color and culture.  What a dull world it would be if were were all alike! 

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,582
    What has changed since George Floyd

In Washington, the efforts to reform policing have stalled. Congress can’t agree on a bill and has largely stopped debating the issue.
    But changes are happening in cities across the country.

In the more than two months since the killing of George Floyd, 31 of America’s 100 largest cities have enacted policies restricting officers’ use of chokeholds, according to an analysis by Campaign Zero, a group that advocates against police violence. In all, 62 of the 100 largest cities now have such policies in place, including New York and Minneapolis, where Floyd died after an officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes.
    Atlanta, San Diego and 67 other cities now require officers to intervene when a fellow officer uses excessive force, up from 51 before Floyd’s death. And five cities — including Denver and St. Louis — have adopted the suite of eight reforms that Campaign Zero advocates, up from two cities earlier this year.

By The New York Times | Source: Campaign Zero

Several outside studies have suggested that those eight policies are likely to be effective in reducing police violence — without increasing crime.

But police unions have generally opposed limiting the use of force, saying it inhibits officers’ ability to fight crime. And some progressive critics of Campaign Zero argue that these reforms have been tried before and put too much faith in officers to abide by new rules. A better approach, they say, is shrinking police budgets.

“If you don’t have the standards, you can’t enforce them,” said Samuel Sinyangwe, a data scientist and co-founder of Campaign Zero. “One of the key challenges moving forward will be, now that these standards have been raised, how are we making sure officers who violate them are held accountable?”

President Trump has also opposed most restrictions on policing. Joe Biden and many congressional Democrats favor a bill that would condition federal funding on localities’ banning chokeholds and strangleholds.

In other policing developments:
    • Dermot Shea, New York City’s police commissioner, has criticized reform proposals, prompting calls for his resignation.
    • As federal agents withdraw from Portland, Ore., the protesters there have refocused on the original target: local police.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Working well in NYC. We passed the number of shootings already that we had all of last year. But it’s the pandemic. Right ? 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    nicknyr15 said:
    Working well in NYC. We passed the number of shootings already that we had all of last year. But it’s the pandemic. Right ? 
    I still think it's the police actually making reports on them to make them look good.  My theory not at all backed up w facts as I would have to become a PI to dig up anything.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yeah, I think most people here are very cool with respecting a broad spectrum of color and culture.  What a dull world it would be if were were all alike! 
    No need to apologize.  It’s happened enough to me to realize that I’m the common denominator and should either change my writing style or quit posting altogether (especially if you, the most normal level headed one misunderstands my posts). 
    It’s all good. Your criticism of others is usually to improve oneself, not to tear us down.  You’re a kind person, I can tell.                                            
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No need to apologize.  It’s happened enough to me to realize that I’m the common denominator and should either change my writing style or quit posting altogether (especially if you, the most normal level headed one misunderstands my posts). 
    It’s all good. Your criticism of others is usually to improve (I meant ourselves) oneself, not to tear us down.  You’re a kind person, I can tell.                                                               

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

As I've been reading a bit about this, it seems we regularly use the wrong terms for things.  What we refer to as racist is often more times discrimination.  Meaning someone using prejudice to act in some way against someone of another race.

Racism is really the idea of prejudice and discrimination backed by the power and authority of the law.  

Well, that's what I've read anyhow.  NOt sure who you go about getting people to change that moving forward though.  Found it interesting.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

It’s all good. Your criticism of others is usually to improve oneself, not to tear us down.  You’re a kind person, I can tell.                                            

Thank you, cblock. 

And, hey, stick with us- we'll make it work.  :smile:

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

It is difficult to have a discussion about politics on a message board without being misunderstood. 

You would have to type 1,000 words each post to outline everything about your comment to avoid someone misunderstanding your point.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

It is difficult to have a discussion about politics on a message board without being misunderstood. 

You would have to type 1,000 words each post to outline everything about your comment to avoid someone misunderstanding your point.

I notice that if I use the "preview" button, I'm much more likely to be understood that (and I do this sometimes) just doing a quick write and post.  And of course, the important parts of communication that this format doesn't include are tone of voice, body language and facial expressions (smileys only slightly compensate).