Options

Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    mickeyrat said:
    I've never watched a WNBA game yet and I now have a reason to continue that.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/storm-liberty-players-walk-off-court-during-national-anthem-in-wnba-season-opener/

Not so sure I like where this is going.

Thoughts?
    good. stop playing it altogether or leave players off the field/court until its done.

Baseball has players from other countries. hockey too. nba as well.  honor them all or none.
    Yeah, that's not going to happen in honoring all the countries.  No other country in the world does that.

We do play the Canadian anthem when a northern team is in town.

So back to this.

If any of them were in the olympics would they walk off the podium while the anthem was playing?

Kneeling I'm all for it.  Walking off?  Not so much.
    They might do this if they were in the Olympics

People are still upset over how other people peacefully protest a one minute song? Ugh. 

This is actually my favorite protest ever and I want to have this as a poster on my wall.

What's great about this and the kneeling is they actually respected the song.  Little known fact about this.  The two gentlemen didn't have another glove to give Norman the Aussie but they did have an Olympic project for human rights badge, which all 3 wore.

There should be some restraint on how far you protest the anthem.  
    So if folks want to protest the anthem in the future, they should just check with you about what is acceptable or not. Got it!
    No just maybe show a little more couth.  You could use some too.  Got it!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    edited July 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/storm-liberty-players-walk-off-court-during-national-anthem-in-wnba-season-opener/

Thoughts?
    good. stop playing it altogether or leave players off the field/court until its done.

Baseball has players from other countries. hockey too. nba as well.  honor them all or none.
    Yeah, that's not going to happen in honoring all the countries.  No other country in the world does that.

So back to this.

If any of them were in the olympics would they walk off the podium while the anthem was playing?

People are still upset over how other people peacefully protest a one minute song? Ugh. 

This is actually my favorite protest ever and I want to have this as a poster on my wall.

What's great about this and the kneeling is they actually respected the song.  Little known fact about this.  The two gentlemen didn't have another glove to give Norman the Aussie but they did have an Olympic project for human rights badge, which all 3 wore.

So if folks want to protest the anthem in the future, they should just check with you about what is acceptable or not. Got it!
    Everyone's different, man. These chicks also have a republican senator as part owner of their team, who they feel is not treating them with proper respect. 

Also, it's just a fucking song. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    mickeyrat said:

Thoughts?

So back to this.

Everyone's different, man. These chicks also have a republican senator as part owner of their team, who they feel is not treating them with proper respect. 

WRONG!  It's about RESPECT!  I stand for the flag and each time I do, a single, manly tear rolls down my cheek and anyone who doesn't react the same is being disrespectful.  I cannot, and will not, deal with anyone who handles these moments differently than I do.  Also many of these people don't like when I use racial slurs and say all lives matter...so they're snowflakes.

(Seriously, all this "political correctness" and "snowflake" talk is the original right wing projection...and it's worked really well).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Thoughts?

So back to this.

WRONG!  It's about RESPECT!  I stand for the flag and each time I do, a single, manly tear rolls down my cheek and anyone who doesn't react the same is being disrespectful.  I cannot, and will not, deal with anyone who handles these moments differently than I do.  Also many of these people don't like when I use racial slurs and say all lives matter...so they're snowflakes.

(Seriously, all this "political correctness" and "snowflake" talk is the original right wing projection...and it's worked really well).
    I taught at a school that was about 60% military families. I think my attitude changed a lot there. Every time the flag was brought out during a game or assembly the admin was strict that you stood and were silent out of respect for those who were serving.

At every graduation they call out the names of kids and their parents who couldn’t attend because they are currently serving. Then they announce the names of kids and the names of parents lost during their service. To these
    kids and their families it meant a lot that we demanded respect when the flag was on the field and when we sang the anthem. It wasn’t even a great school, average at best. But the kids would be silent when the flag was walked out and we sang the anthem every time.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Thoughts?

So back to this.

I taught at a school that was about 60% military families. I think my attitude changed a lot there. Every time the flag was brought out during a game or assembly the admin was strict that you stood and were silent out of respect for those who were serving.

At every graduation they call out the names of kids and their parents who couldn’t attend because they are currently serving. Then they announce the names of kids and the names of parents lost during their service. To these
    kids and their families it meant a lot that we demanded respect when the flag was on the field and when we sang the anthem. It wasn’t even a great school, average at best. But the kids would be silent when the flag was walked out and we sang the anthem every time.
    And that was their right. As it is anothers right to respectably not participate.

Everyone has their own story, that's the point.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    Is anybody here besides me getting tired of hearing about these ongoing protests?  I get it that when George Floyd was killed people were upset and went out and protested.  I supported that.  But from what I keep hearing and reading, I think it's time to move on to something more constructive.  Even the NAACP (as we saw on the last page here) is saying these protest are “largely a white spectacle — caused by antifa and other left-wing activists — that has co-opted the Black Lives Matter movement." 

It makes a lot more sense to me to start doing something more constructive.  Write letters, donate to the NAACP, become better educated and support better education.  VOTE!  Enough of the white spectacle.  Let's do something useful to end racism.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,758
    brianlux said:
    Is anybody here besides me getting tired of hearing about these ongoing protests?  I get it that when George Floyd was killed people were upset and went out and protested.  I supported that.  But from what I keep hearing and reading, I think it's time to move on to something more constructive.  Even the NAACP (as we saw on the last page here) is saying these protest are “largely a white spectacle — caused by antifa and other left-wing activists — that has co-opted the Black Lives Matter movement." 

It makes a lot more sense to me to start doing something more constructive.  Write letters, donate to the NAACP, become better educated and support better education.  VOTE!  Enough of the white spectacle.  Let's do something useful to end racism.
    YES. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I'm fine with the protests. The nonsense that happens after the sun goes down is doing nobody any good though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,727
    brianlux said:

Yeah, for a quite a while now. The whole thing is a joke. And while white liberals have of course co-opted and ruined it (as Malcom X warned of all those years ago), black liberals in leadership positions (mayor of Chicago, Atlanta's DA) have hurt the cause too, in my opinion anyway. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I'm fine with the protests. The nonsense that happens after the sun goes down is doing nobody any good though.

I would feel much more supportive of them if there was better leadership, specific goals and a well defined list of demands and if they were not being infiltrated by groups like Antifa. 

But I'll admit I could be wrong.  If I see something positive in the way of change coming out of protest, I'll stand up for them.  At this point, I really can't do that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

Yeah, for a quite a while now. The whole thing is a joke. And while white liberals have of course co-opted and ruined it (as Malcom X warned of all those years ago), black liberals in leadership positions (mayor of Chicago, Atlanta's DA) have hurt the cause too, in my opinion anyway. 
    I agree. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Thoughts?

So back to this.

And that was their right. As it is anothers right to respectably not participate.

Everyone has their own story, that's the point.
    Of course it’s their right. Just sharing another point of view since some people think it’s just a song and who cares. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Thoughts?

So back to this.

The national anthem is not a military song.  It represents teachers, dock workers, immigrants, liberals, conservatives, bus drivers, lawyers, and any other people you can think of that are less worthy of respect than members of the military.  Do we play it at every sporting event for "the military?"  I don't think so...but it morphed into that after Kaepernick's kneeling and the NFL's marriage to the military.  But our adherence to the flag and to "patriotic" customs runs the risk of shutting down dissenting thought (you know, the thing only liberals do). Actually, it doesn't run that risk...it flat out does it.  From "CAPS OFF!" guy to cops booting a guy from Yankee Stadium.

As for the military, there needs to be a balance between appreciation/honor and worship/jingoism. I'm not a big fan of most things war and military but I understand that members sacrifice, at the very least a lot of time (that I spent drinking in college) and, their very safety/life depending on various circumstances. It's a tough balance, but it seems like any time there's a thought to "honor" if it's not done then "you hate America."  So at a ballgame, you have a veteran raise the flag during the national anthem.*  You have a flyover.  You have God Bless America in the 7th Inning stretch. Sometimes it feels like we cling to our greatness almost out of insecurity.  America is number 1 and I don't want to hear even a hint of disagreement (Stick fingers in ears and say "la la la").  It leads to complacency and to not wanting to actually make things better.  Do they do this in other countries?  I honestly don't know. It feels like a uniquely American thing, but maybe people in Finland always talk about how Finland is the Greatest Country in the World and anyone that doesn't agree it can just move to Belgium or something. 

And now some rich, unelected pandemic-profiteer virtue-signals what she thinks players in a mostly black league should do because standing at attention during a song is more important than being able to go outside without fear of the cops in the Greatest Country in the World?  I'm with the players.

*The Twins do that and while I tire of the anthem before every game, I think this is a very nice touch.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    As usual the word “looting “. No joke 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    thats a website I'll pass on. click link, immediate popup for a new book by Ben Shapiro.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I'm not sure I understand.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    thats a website I'll pass on. click link, immediate popup for a new book by Ben Shapiro.
    Definitely a conservative-biased website, but this content seemed fairly neutral and fact-based. 

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

Sorry, should of proof read. I read somewhere that the word looting is being considered racist now. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

Sorry, should of proof read. I read somewhere that the word looting is being considered racist now. 
    Ahh...gotcha. Makes sense. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

Does it bother you that a word may be tied to racism? You seem to be making a joke about people expressing concern about its usage. Isn't that how we learn to advance and move beyond derogatory terms that tend to have meanings specifically referencing certain types of people negatively?

Its origins are definitely rooted back further than the modern racial references, but it does have its ties to racism.

As a noun and verb, “loot” got extended in English beyond wartime pillaging to the taking of goods by force more generally, often in chaotic situations like urban unrest. In accounts of the race riots of the 1960s, the term “looters” frequently went hand in hand with “thugs.” Mr. Trump echoed that rhetoric in his “looting” tweet, labeling the Minneapolis demonstrators “THUGS” in all capitals.

“Thug,” as it happens, is another term that owes its origins to British colonialism in India. The word entered English via stories—largely apocryphal—of murderous highway robbers belonging to the Thuggee cult. It’s notable that both “thugs” and “looters” are rooted in a bygone imperial era in which colonized subjects were portrayed as inherently violent. As we grapple with the causes of the current protests, our lexicon doesn’t always transcend those unfortunate historical resonances.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/looting-a-term-with-roots-in-protest-and-conflict-11591310530

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

Does it bother you that a word may be tied to racism? You seem to be making a joke about people expressing concern about its usage. Isn't that how we learn to advance and move beyond derogatory terms that tend to have meanings specifically referencing certain types of people negatively?

Its origins are definitely rooted back further than the modern racial references, but it does have its ties to racism.

As a noun and verb, “loot” got extended in English beyond wartime pillaging to the taking of goods by force more generally, often in chaotic situations like urban unrest. In accounts of the race riots of the 1960s, the term “looters” frequently went hand in hand with “thugs.” Mr. Trump echoed that rhetoric in his “looting” tweet, labeling the Minneapolis demonstrators “THUGS” in all capitals.

“Thug,” as it happens, is another term that owes its origins to British colonialism in India. The word entered English via stories—largely apocryphal—of murderous highway robbers belonging to the Thuggee cult. It’s notable that both “thugs” and “looters” are rooted in a bygone imperial era in which colonized subjects were portrayed as inherently violent. As we grapple with the causes of the current protests, our lexicon doesn’t always transcend those unfortunate historical resonances.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/looting-a-term-with-roots-in-protest-and-conflict-11591310530

Regarding the bolded part, I don’t know how the modern day word “looter” is referencing a certain type of person, except those types of people that vandalize businesses and steal.  Plenty of looters are white.  I struggle with this one. 

In this context, if we go back and dissect the entire English language, I’m sure the origin of plenty of words could be frowned upon for some reason, especially in today’s day and age. 
  • Options
    I don't understand the negative responses to the notion that it is best for any American to learn how to speak good English.   Why is it OK to think a white person who says "I ain't got no" is just a dumb redneck, but if a black person says it, that's fine?  Seems to me that any individual can improve their lot in life by learning to speak well (well, not good). 

When I was in teaching, I subbed for several years in several school districts in two states.  I taught in wealthy white schools, poor white schools, poor predominantly black schools, poor predominantly Hispanic schools, and once or twice in a poor predominately Native American school.  I heard poor English in all of those situations.  In almost every case, the kids that learn to speak better English will live better lives.

I don't get this thing about supporting the notion of speaking poorly.  I think that's totally ridiculous.

As far as blacks in particular, I would look to some of the great black statesmen and women as good example.  I very much doubt you will hear Cornell West say, "I ain't got no" rather than "I do not have any:"

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    brianlux said:
    I don't understand the negative responses to the notion that it is best for any American to learn how to speak good English.   Why is it OK to think a white person who says "I ain't got no" is just a dumb redneck, but if a black person says it, that's fine?  Seems to me that any individual can improve their lot in life by learning to speak well (well, not good). 

When I was in teaching, I subbed for several years in several school districts in two states.  I taught in wealthy white schools, poor white schools, poor predominantly black schools, poor predominantly Hispanic schools, and once or twice in a poor predominately Native American school.  I heard poor English in all of those situations.  In almost every case, the kids that learn to speak better English will live better lives.

I don't get this thing about supporting the notion of speaking poorly.  I think that's totally ridiculous.

As far as blacks in particular, I would look to some of the great black statesmen and women as good example.  I very much doubt you will hear Cornell West say, "I ain't got no" rather than "I do not have any:"
    read a speech by Frederick Douglass...... Man that guy had a way with words.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

Regarding the bolded part, I don’t know how the modern day word “looter” is referencing a certain type of person, except those types of people that vandalize businesses and steal.  Plenty of looters are white.  I struggle with this one. 

In this context, if we go back and dissect the entire English language, I’m sure the origin of plenty of words could be frowned upon for some reason, especially in today’s day and age. 
    I agree with this. It is almost ridiculous how everything is racist now. Calling someone who mobs a store and steals a looter is now racist? That to me is a joke.
    like you said, every word has it’s origins somewhere. Who in today’s society knows that when they see people waiting out of Walmart with shopping carts full of stuff they didn’t pay for? Pretty much no one. 
    I never even associated thug with any group. And if I did, I pictured a 1920s chicago mob guy. It really seems like the only people putting labels on these terms are the ones trying to make everything about race. 
    You break into a store and run out with an armload of stuff, you’re a looter. Doesn’t matter what color you are. 
  • Options
    Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

Yup. (for lack of a better word :lol: )

I respect language; learned that from my father. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Yup. (for lack of a better word :lol: )

I respect language; learned that from my father. 

"Yup" is a great word!  :smile:

I learned respect for language from my folks as well in different ways- some indirectly.  My father was born into an Amish family and Amish people often speak English in oddly juxtaposed or jumbled up ways.  For example, they might say, "Throw the cow over the fence some hay," or "Jacob went to the train to saw off Uncle Samuel".  Yet still, my Pop learned to speak English almost perfectly and even his Amish mother spoke English quite well but with a  really interesting accent. 

On my mothers side, her father was bright, industrious and musical (he played in jug bands up and down the Russian River in Sonoma County), but was probably not well educated.  My mom wanted to do good things with her life so she worked her way through med school and became a lab technologist.  Despite her education,  she maintained some poor speech habits such as using the word "good" when she meant "well".  I picked up a few of those habits and have tried to weed them out over the years.

But ya know, I still like saying, "Yup!"  :lol: 

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

read a speech by Frederick Douglass...... Man that guy had a way with words.

Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice.

Oh man, yes, now there's a giant!  And not just as a famous abolitionist, but a real strong supporter of women's rights as well.  A true hero!

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

I agree with this. It is almost ridiculous how everything is racist now. Calling someone who mobs a store and steals a looter is now racist? That to me is a joke.
    like you said, every word has it’s origins somewhere. Who in today’s society knows that when they see people waiting out of Walmart with shopping carts full of stuff they didn’t pay for? Pretty much no one. 
    I never even associated thug with any group. And if I did, I pictured a 1920s chicago mob guy. It really seems like the only people putting labels on these terms are the ones trying to make everything about race. 
    You break into a store and run out with an armload of stuff, you’re a looter. Doesn’t matter what color you are. 
    The looting being racist might be a fringe thing.  Someone writes something and it goes viral and becomes a story even though it's just from one persons op-ed.