Options

Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:
    "Delusional" - now the standard AMT insult used by people who have no idea what it means. It's certainly been trending over the past month or two. 

Please enlighten me, or were you referring to yourself? I have updated the example for you to better understand.
    Delusional - having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions.
    People who think “responsible” gun owners are made up of one race are delusional.

No, I'm aware of the term delusional. I'm a mental health professional who regularly works with individuals with delusions and other symptoms of severe and persistent mental illness, and it's really bloody frustrating when people minimize the challenges of actual mental illness by misusing these terms in a spat with someone on the internet. 
    Thank you for what you do, I was in no way using the word to minimize mental illness. I did not make up the rules on what is an acceptable use of the word in our language, you can take that up with Merriam-Webster.

I didn't post because I wanted thanks, I posted because I want people to be a bit more mindful and thoughtful about how we speak about issues related to mental illness. Just because a term can be used by someone else in a way that minimizes its importance doesn't mean that it's right to do so.

And yes, I will take it up with dictionary.com as well.
    I've never heard of the word "delusional" being a derogatory term or heard it used for mental illness.

Interesting.  

If someone is delusional, it means that they have delusions, which are a serious symptom of psychosis. It’s not just someone with whom you disagree. 

It isn’t a derogatory term, it’s a descriptive and factual term than is made derogatory when used in that manner. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited July 2020
    I think it was off-the-cusp and meant to be “funny.” He said he wasn’t anti-Semite, he’s anti-termite. I guess it’s funny cause it rhymes? I don’t know. 

I’m also of the belief that he was in on the assassination of Malcolm X (as X’s family believed). I dunno, I just think he’s a scumbag and the last guy people should be referencing during a racial equality movement. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    He’s a hateful piece of shit, no better than the likes of Dukes. 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:
    "Delusional" - now the standard AMT insult used by people who have no idea what it means. It's certainly been trending over the past month or two. 

Please enlighten me, or were you referring to yourself? I have updated the example for you to better understand.
    People who think “responsible” gun owners are made up of one race are delusional.

No, I'm aware of the term delusional. I'm a mental health professional who regularly works with individuals with delusions and other symptoms of severe and persistent mental illness, and it's really bloody frustrating when people minimize the challenges of actual mental illness by misusing these terms in a spat with someone on the internet. 
    Thank you for what you do, I was in no way using the word to minimize mental illness. I did not make up the rules on what is an acceptable use of the word in our language, you can take that up with Merriam-Webster.

I didn't post because I wanted thanks, I posted because I want people to be a bit more mindful and thoughtful about how we speak about issues related to mental illness. Just because a term can be used by someone else in a way that minimizes its importance doesn't mean that it's right to do so.

I've never heard of the word "delusional" being a derogatory term or heard it used for mental illness.

Interesting.  

If someone is delusional, it means that they have delusions, which are a serious symptom of psychosis. It’s not just someone with whom you disagree. 

It isn’t a derogatory term, it’s a descriptive and factual term than is made derogatory when used in that manner. 
    It is also an adjective used to describe someone who has false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions. Had I told H2TM that he had delusions then there would be no debate that I was targeting mental illness, but that was not the case. I thanked you for what you do not because I thought you were seeking it, but because I find your profession admirable.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    You guys are getting caught up i semantics. 
    The word "delusional" can be used clinically as in:
    characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder
    or in a more non-clinical sense
    based on or having faulty judgment; mistaken

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    You guys are getting caught up i semantics. 
    The word "delusional" can be used clinically as in:
    characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder
    or in a more non-clinical sense
    based on or having faulty judgment; mistaken

Case closed!
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,655
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:

Interesting.  

It is also an adjective used to describe someone who has false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions. Had I told H2TM that he had delusions then there would be no debate that I was targeting mental illness, but that was not the case. I thanked you for what you do not because I thought you were seeking it, but because I find your profession admirable.
    Except I'm still waiting for you to point out where I stated that I believe only one race is responsible for gun violence. Which is where your "delusional" label emanated from, right?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:

Interesting.  

Except I'm still waiting for you to point out where I stated that I believe only one race is responsible for gun violence. Which is where your "delusional" label emanated from, right?
    We already went over why I used the D-word yesterday.
    south park beat a dead horse GIF

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    edited July 2020
    from L10s post.....

"they're going to play a song that's considered the "Black National Anthem" before the real national anthem."

bad phrasing imo.....
    the qualifier of "real" is unnecessary to my eye.

it goes back to Kap and his objection to the lyrics, in particular the parts left out of the actual song. Doesnt include "all lives" to my reading.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,452
    Full story:   https://www.theroot.com/star-spangled-bigotry-the-hidden-racist-history-of-the-1790855893#replies

Star-Spangled Bigotry: The Hidden Racist History of the National Anthem

Americans generally get a failing grade when it comes to knowing our “patriotic songs.” I know more people who can recite “America, F—k Yeah” from Team America than “America the Beautiful.” “Yankee Doodle”? No one older than a fifth-grader in chorus class remembers the full song. “God Bless America”? More people know the Rev. Jeremiah Wright remix than the actual full lyrics of the song. Most black folks don’t even know “the black national anthem.” (There’s a great story about Bill Clinton being at an NAACP meeting where he was the only one who knew it past the first line. Bill Clinton: Woke in the ’90s.)

In the case of our national anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner,” perhaps not knowing the full lyrics is a good thing. It is one of the most racist, pro-slavery, anti-black songs in the American lexicon, and you would be wise to cut it from your Fourth of July playlist.

“The Star-Spangled Banner,” as most Americans know it, is only a couple of lines. In fact, if you look up the song on Google, only the most famous lyrics pop up on Page 1:

A few weeks later, in September of 1815, far from being a captive, Key was on a British boat begging for the release of one of his friends, a doctor named William Beanes. Key was on the boat waiting to see if the British would release his friend when he observed the bloody battle of Fort McHenry in Baltimore on Sept. 13, 1814. America lost the battle but managed to inflict heavy casualties on the British in the process. This inspired Key to write “The Star-Spangled Banner” right then and there, but no one remembers that he wrote a full third stanza decrying the former slaves who were now working for the British army:

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
    That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
    A home and a Country should leave us no more?
    Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    Ok...I really don't understand the issue with using delusional.  I'll be honest, picking on it seems really petty to me.  But of course other words and common phrases have gone by the wayside in similar fashion.  So maybe?  Nah I just don't get it.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    edited July 2020
    short episode from july 4. very good. Michael Steele podcast

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    From Selma to BLM
    A truly great American has died....

• Options
    From Selma to BLM

Damn.  What a loss.  A huge loss.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Surprised no one here is talking about this video since the cop is essentially talking about a majority of “protestors “ being racist white people. Ironic. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822
    edited July 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    Surprised no one here is talking about this video since the cop is essentially talking about a majority of “protestors “ being racist white people. Ironic. 
    You actually think thats true? The majority of protestors are racist white people? Also why is the video cut up and edited like it is. Why not just show the whole thing I wonder?
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    You actually think thats true? The majority of protestors are racist white people? Also why is the video cut up and edited like it is. Why not just show the whole thing I wonder?
    I don’t think that. It just sounds like that from this 1 cops perspective . Honestly to me, it’s just a shame what this movement is becoming. Another thing that started good but is slowly becoming bad. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    brianlux said:
    From Selma to BLM

Yeah big loss for democracy and you know MCConell is on his knees praying for Ginsburg to kick the bucket same with the Baffoon has not even offered condolences on his passing!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    From Selma to BLM

Yeah big loss for democracy and you know MCConell is on his knees praying for Ginsburg to kick the bucket same with the Baffoon has not even offered condolences on his passing!

I think about that from time to time.  I'm not a religious kind of guy, but whenever I think about Ginsburg,  I think, "Thank you God, for Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  Please keep her here at least until the end of the year."   I know that sounds selfish, but I do so hope, hope, hope.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    From Selma to BLM

I think about that from time to time.  I'm not a religious kind of guy, but whenever I think about Ginsburg,  I think, "Thank you God, for Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  Please keep her here at least until the end of the year."   I know that sounds selfish, but I do so hope, hope, hope.
    Just to make sure she better keep her around till at least January 21st, 2021
  • Options
    https://nypost.com/2020/07/18/black-lives-matter-mural-outside-trump-tower-again-defaced/

Is this a hate crime? 
    These murals cause more problems than anything unfortunately. And I firmly believe that it was disingenuous on DeBlasios part and was pure political bickering. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    https://nypost.com/2020/07/18/black-lives-matter-mural-outside-trump-tower-again-defaced/

Is this a hate crime? 
    These murals cause more problems than anything unfortunately. And I firmly believe that it was disingenuous on DeBlasios part and was pure political bickering. 
    They’re a problem because racist assholes deface them?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Is this a hate crime? 
    Racist assholes? The racist black woman? 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Is this a hate crime? 
    Yea, racists. You know?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Is this a hate crime? 
    Yea, racists. You know?
    I don’t know. 
  • Options
    I'm starting to think the whole current civil rights movement ,and the aim of achieving equality and fairness, and an effort to resolve the ongoing issues of racism has begum to derail in a big way.  

With the death of John Lewis, we have lost one of the great civil rights leaders- a man with the energy, intelligence, leadership abilities, and commitment to do great work toward moving things ahead in the right direction.  And before him, gone are the others who possessed similar qualities- Martin Luther King, Paul Robeson, Medgar Evers, Barbara Jordan, Stokely Carmichael, among others. 

Today, we have a few remaining folks who fill those shoes, but few that stand to tall.  Currently, it seems like there is more disorganization and confusion as to how to achieve the goal of civil rights, and an organization- Black Lives Matter- that seems to be a fractured body with poor direction and weak leadership.  There are various reason for that- sensationalist "news" media, infiltrators, unfocused anger, and, of course,  the ongoing resistance from white supremacists.

It's very difficult and disheartening to have grown up in the well focused times of civil rights and watch the whole thing basically become a confused clusterfuck.  It's not that everything was perfectly well orchestrated in 1950's through 1970's Civil Rights times, but it sure was a hell of a lot better focused and organized.  I don't see how this is going to end well. 

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    brianlux said:
    I'm starting to think the whole current civil rights movement ,and the aim of achieving equality and fairness, and an effort to resolve the ongoing issues of racism has begum to derail in a big way.  

With the death of John Lewis, we have lost one of the great civil rights leaders- a man with the energy, intelligence, leadership abilities, and commitment to do great work toward moving things ahead in the right direction.  And before him, gone are the others who possessed similar qualities- Martin Luther King, Paul Robeson, Medgar Evers, Barbara Jordan, Stokely Carmichael, among others. 

Today, we have a few remaining folks who fill those shoes, but few that stand to tall.  Currently, it seems like there is more disorganization and confusion as to how to achieve the goal of civil rights, and an organization- Black Lives Matter- that seems to be a fractured body with poor direction and weak leadership.  There are various reason for that- sensationalist "news" media, infiltrators, unfocused anger, and, of course,  the ongoing resistance from white supremacists.

It's very difficult and disheartening to have grown up in the well focused times of civil rights and watch the whole thing basically become a confused clusterfuck.  It's not that everything was perfectly well orchestrated in 1950's through 1970's Civil Rights times, but it sure was a hell of a lot better focused and organized.  I don't see how this is going to end well. 
    Pretty spot on post. Well said.