Options

The Last “Dance” ESPN Documentary

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,962
    I loved Reggie Miller and that Pacers squad.  He was Steph Curry before there was one.
    Meh was never a huge Reggie Miller fan. Although I did feel kinda bad for Malone and Stockton and the Utah Jazz and their fans. They had a good team.
    Not enjoying Miller was not enjoying Basketball...
    i didn't say i didn't enjoy him.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    I loved Reggie Miller and that Pacers squad.  He was Steph Curry before there was one.
    Meh was never a huge Reggie Miller fan. Although I did feel kinda bad for Malone and Stockton and the Utah Jazz and their fans. They had a good team.

I know you didn't. I did, lol.

• Options
    So I never knew that about Kerr's father in Beiruit.  How the hell did I ever miss that story?

I really want a part 2 now.  I am sure they have tons of footage left.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    Would love to hear how they arrived at using Present Tense.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    The feeling when you realize this doc is over...

https://youtu.be/6FNQMYnD6PY

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503

Yeah that was a very bittersweet feeling.  I will miss sitting down on Sunday night to watch this.  I loved the NBA in the 1990s.  It was my first real experience in professional sports.  I was 9 when I began watching Michael Jordan, because my folks got cable for the first time and I could get access to WGN.  Even during the 2 years he was retired, I was glued to the NBA still.  This makes me want to go back and watch the other 30 for 30's like "Winning Time" and "Bad Boys" again.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options

Yeah that was a very bittersweet feeling.  I will miss sitting down on Sunday night to watch this.  I loved the NBA in the 1990s.  It was my first real experience in professional sports.  I was 9 when I began watching Michael Jordan, because my folks got cable for the first time and I could get access to WGN.  Even during the 2 years he was retired, I was glued to the NBA still.  This makes me want to go back and watch the other 30 for 30's like "Winning Time" and "Bad Boys" again.

There was a pretty good 30 for 30 on the Shaq/Penny Magic as well. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

There was a pretty good 30 for 30 on the Shaq/Penny Magic as well. 
    Oh yeah I forgot!  "This Magic Moment." I'll be watching a bunch of YouTube replays of some 90s NBA as well to try to fill the void.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    So I never knew that about Kerr's father in Beiruit.  How the hell did I ever miss that story?

Imagine rival Pac 10 schools chanting about the murder.  I thought they would touch on that.  
  • Options

Imagine rival Pac 10 schools chanting about the murder.  I thought they would touch on that.  
    I just heard about that today.  The other team chanted "where's your father".  That is screwed up.

We used to laugh at the Beat Your Wife Potvin chants but this one was a low blow.
  • Options
    MJ would have learned how to increase his 3 point percentage 3-4% and dominate in today’s game.  He had to bulk up for the Pistons but still was as quick as anyone.  I have no doubt he could dominate just like Lebron did.
    Agreed.
    The comparisons between these two are always interesting.  Neither have/had relied on their 3-point shot.  LeBron has the edge in passing, rebounding and just being a freight train when he's going to the hoop.  Jordan had a better mid-range game, overall more polished jump shot (which would have given him a good chance at making more 3's in today's NBA) and was a fiercer competitor.  Both exceptional defenders against multiple positions on the court and in today's NBA, Jordan could probably hold his own against most 5's if needing to defend that position.  I'd even wonder if Jordan would be considered a 2 in today's NBA.  He may be more of a 3 (Wing) or even a stretch 4.  It would have been incredible to see these two play in the same era.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Somehow this play didn't make into the documentary at any point. One of my Pippen nit-picks from this otherwise perfect documentary. It's from Michael's "double-nickel" game. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgiZmKxAmFs

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    I forgot about that!
  • Options
    I forgot about that!
    Of course you did. They'll have you believe that the final score of that game was Bulls 57 (Michael's 55, Wennington's 2), Knicks 55.

Might as well mention my other Pippen nit-picks...

-I would have liked if they mentioned that Pippen was the leading scorer in the clinching game 5 in 1991 against the Lakers. Not that I think he deserves a medal for outscoring MJ by two points in a huge game. But it would have been nice if they just dubbed the announcer mentioning it (it would be like 2 seconds of screen time). But they focused on Paxon because apparently Michael learned to pass that game. And Paxon was great in that 4th quarter, but so wasn't Pippen. Throw him a bone. It would be nice redemption narrative following the migraine the year before. Yeah, they showed him showing some toughness by brushing off that super cheap shot from Rodman, but still. 

-This doc continues the false narrative of the 1992 Finals, which is Michael Jordan made 6 threes in the first half of game 1, and that's all ya need to know. Well actually, the Bulls were down by 15 late in the third quarter of game 6, when MJ went to the bench. The Pippen-led squad came all the way back to take the lead, and then MJ came back in and they won going away. Now, when I say "Pippen-led squad," I don't mean he scored every basket like MJ. But he scored here, made an assist there, took a charge from Clyde, etc. Did all the Pippen-stuff that he does to help them take the lead.

-When they highlighted the 1994 season, it was shocking that they didn't show a clip of him winning all-star MVP. I know, it's just an all-star game. But everyone in that all-star game was jockeying for position with MJ gone, and Pip rose to the top that day. I'm not saying they should stop the doc and focus on it, but just give me a quick clip.

Somewhere, there's someone that wasn't around in the 90's (or were around but didn't pay close attention). I'm afraid that person might walk away from this doc thinking Horace Grant, Steve Kerr, and John Paxon were better basketball players than Pippen. At least they focused on him toughing it out in 1998 with the back injury.

Small Pippen fanboy nitpicks aside, this is the greatest sports documentary ever. It's not just about Michael and the Bulls either. It's a history of basketball from the moment Michael hits that game-winner in college, to the moment he hits the game-winner in 1998. With the exception of Hakeem (due to the timeframe he won his titles), everybody who's anybody in 90's basketball appeared in this, either in the highlights, as talking heads, or both. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,962

I know you didn't. I did, lol.

oh ok :lol: misunderstood what you wrote
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I forgot about that!
    Of course you did. They'll have you believe that the final score of that game was Bulls 57 (Michael's 55, Wennington's 2), Knicks 55.

-I would have liked if they mentioned that Pippen was the leading scorer in the clinching game 5 in 1991 against the Lakers. Not that I think he deserves a medal for outscoring MJ by two points in a huge game. But it would have been nice if they just dubbed the announcer mentioning it (it would be like 2 seconds of screen time). But they focused on Paxon because apparently Michael learned to pass that game. And Paxon was great in that 4th quarter, but so wasn't Pippen. Throw him a bone. It would be nice redemption narrative following the migraine the year before. Yeah, they showed him showing some toughness by brushing off that super cheap shot from Rodman, but still. 

-This doc continues the false narrative of the 1992 Finals, which is Michael Jordan made 6 threes in the first half of game 1, and that's all ya need to know. Well actually, the Bulls were down by 15 late in the third quarter of game 6, when MJ went to the bench. The Pippen-led squad came all the way back to take the lead, and then MJ came back in and they won going away. Now, when I say "Pippen-led squad," I don't mean he scored every basket like MJ. But he scored here, made an assist there, took a charge from Clyde, etc. Did all the Pippen-stuff that he does to help them take the lead.

-When they highlighted the 1994 season, it was shocking that they didn't show a clip of him winning all-star MVP. I know, it's just an all-star game. But everyone in that all-star game was jockeying for position with MJ gone, and Pip rose to the top that day. I'm not saying they should stop the doc and focus on it, but just give me a quick clip.

Somewhere, there's someone that wasn't around in the 90's (or were around but didn't pay close attention). I'm afraid that person might walk away from this doc thinking Horace Grant, Steve Kerr, and John Paxon were better basketball players than Pippen. At least they focused on him toughing it out in 1998 with the back injury.

Small Pippen fanboy nitpicks aside, this is the greatest sports documentary ever. It's not just about Michael and the Bulls either. It's a history of basketball from the moment Michael hits that game-winner in college, to the moment he hits the game-winner in 1998. With the exception of Hakeem (due to the timeframe he won his titles), everybody who's anybody in 90's basketball appeared in this, either in the highlights, as talking heads, or both. 
    I've heard a few sports shows mention that Pippen doesn't look good after this documentary and They did mention that he was a top 50 player of all time.

I seriously hope that people understand just how good Pippen was.  I don't remember them showing Pippen chase down anyone and blocking them like he would always do.  Did they show any of that?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    They should have showed Kukoc’s third quarter in game 7 against the Pacers.  I re-watched that game last week and he kept them in the game and allowed MJ to rest.  B.S. that wasn’t included.  Would have taken only a minute.
  • Options
    They should have showed Kukoc’s third quarter in game 7 against the Pacers.  I re-watched that game last week and he kept them in the game and allowed MJ to rest.  B.S. that wasn’t included.  Would have taken only a minute.
    I was thinking the same thing.  They don't win that game without Kukoc's effort.

• Options
    I forgot about that!

I've heard a few sports shows mention that Pippen doesn't look good after this documentary and They did mention that he was a top 50 player of all time.

I seriously hope that people understand just how good Pippen was.  I don't remember them showing Pippen chase down anyone and blocking them like he would always do.  Did they show any of that?
    Not that I noticed. I know they're all side-men to Michael, but I was hoping the doc portrayed the team as....

Michael >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Scottie>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everyone else

Instead I felt it was....

Michael>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Scottie and everyone else. 

But thankfully there's YouTube. Highest recommendation to this guy's channel. He's also on instagram as Pip33assassin....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObgS6uUVjQ

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    The comment Miller made about the 1997-1998 Pacers being the better team really had me thinking too.  Chicago won 62 games and that was without Scottie for the first 2 months of the season.  I'd have to think more about this, but my initial impulse is to disagree with Miller.  If not for the game 4 winning shot (which should not have happened, he clearly pushed off of Jordan), that series never sees a game 7.
  • Options
    Totally agree. He was great in that game. 21 points if I remember correctly. No way they win that game if not for him.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    The comment Miller made about the 1997-1998 Pacers being the better team really had me thinking too.  Chicago won 62 games and that was without Scottie for the first 2 months of the season.  I'd have to think more about this, but my initial impulse is to disagree with Miller.  If not for the game 4 winning shot (which should not have happened, he clearly pushed off of Jordan), that series never sees a game 7.
    Yeah I didn’t like that either. I never like when someone from the losing team says they were better than the team they lost to. But from Reggie’s perspective, the Bulls had to seem ripe for the picking...between fatigue from the Bulls’ three-straight title runs, Pippen’s back, and Rodman being on the cusp of being completely washed. But they had MJ, which renders most other weaknesses moot. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Yeah I didn’t like that either. I never like when someone from the losing team says they were better than the team they lost to. But from Reggie’s perspective, the Bulls had to seem ripe for the picking...between fatigue from the Bulls’ three-straight title runs, Pippen’s back, and Rodman being on the cusp of being completely washed. But they had MJ, which renders most other weaknesses moot. 
    That pacers team was stacked though.  I remember them always playing the Knicks tough and they whooped them 4-1 that year.

That was a great Pacers team and with the talent they had they very well should have beat the Bulls.
  • Options
    That pacers team was stacked though.  I remember them always playing the Knicks tough and they whooped them 4-1 that year.

That was a great Pacers team and with the talent they had they very well should have beat the Bulls.
    Oh they were definitely good. Made the finals two years later. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited May 2020

That was pretty much the same team they had rolled out the 3 years prior, except now a deeper bench and Larry Bird as the HC.  I would agree Indiana was the deeper team, but there's no one on the Pacers I would take before Jordan or Pippen.  Rodman was still rebounding and defending at a high level.  Kukoc always gets overlooked, but was a player ahead of his time.  If Toni had played in today's NBA, he would be the perfect stretch 4.  Chris Mullin was past his prime.  Reggie was a tremendous shooter, but I would disagree with the earlier comment comparing him to Curry.  He's nowhere near the ball handler Curry is.  Both the Pacers and Jazz caught breaks in those playoffs (Reggie's no-call push off and Pippen's back against Utah).  The Bulls could have and should have won both series within 5 games.

Post edited by Glorified KC on
  • Options

That was pretty much the same team they had rolled out the 3 years prior, except now a deeper bench and Larry Bird as the HC.  I would agree Indiana was the deeper team, but there's no one on the Pacers I would take before Jordan or Pippen.  Rodman was still rebounding and defending at a high level.  Kukoc always gets overlooked, but was a player ahead of his time.  If Toni had played in today's NBA, he would be the perfect stretch 4.  Chris Mullin was past his prime.  Reggie was a tremendous shooter, but I would disagree with the earlier comment comparing him to Curry.  He's nowhere near the ball handler Curry is.  Both the Pacers and Jazz caught breaks in those playoffs (Reggie's no-call push off and Pippen's back against Utah).  The Bulls could have and should have won both series within 5 games.

The reason I compare him to Curry is the movement he would do in a game.  He was always moving, running, using a pick to create space.  All the things that Curry does now Reggie was doing 20 years ago. 
  • Options

The reason I compare him to Curry is the movement he would do in a game.  He was always moving, running, using a pick to create space.  All the things that Curry does now Reggie was doing 20 years ago. 
    I always considered Reggie to be more of a catch-and-shoot type of shooter, where Steph can stop-and-pop as well as anyone the game has ever seen.  I would prefer Reggie taking the last shot over Steph, if I had a choice.  Few had more ice in their veins than Miller.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

But Curry's way better at creating his own shot. They always had to run Reggie around picks. Sometimes many picks where he'd start on one wing, runs off of double Davis-brother picks underneath, and pop open in the opposite corner or wing. Bill Simmons laid it out in his book how this was sort of to the Pacers' detriment. Since Reggie didn't really take guys off the dribble, the whole offense had to be catered around finding ways to get him the ball in space.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

I always considered Reggie to be more of a catch-and-shoot type of shooter, where Steph can stop-and-pop as well as anyone the game has ever seen.  I would prefer Reggie taking the last shot over Steph, if I had a choice.  Few had more ice in their veins than Miller.
    Reggie could stop and shoot in transition.  Case in point, watch him score the 8 points in 4 seconds against the Knicks.  I'll never forget that game as long as I live.
  • Options

But Curry's way better at creating his own shot. They always had to run Reggie around picks. Sometimes many picks where he'd start on one wing, runs off of double Davis-brother picks underneath, and pop open in the opposite corner or wing. Bill Simmons laid it out in his book how this was sort of to the Pacers' detriment. Since Reggie didn't really take guys off the dribble, the whole offense had to be catered around finding ways to get him the ball in space.
    Or he needed Mark Jackson to drive and kick out to him.  Don't get me wrong, Reggie was unique in his time given the league was so inside-out at that time.  I think you can make comparisons to Reggie (Ray Allen, Allan Houston, Peja Stojakovic) where it's more difficult with Steph.