Options

The Last “Dance” ESPN Documentary

Comments

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    Not one mention from Luc Longley during this whole thing.

Not that it matters but would have been nice to here the Aussie speak.
    Yeah he was conspicuously absent. Nothing Bulls-related from Harper either. Though his “fuck this bullshit” line about not getting to guard MJ on the Ehlo shot was gold. 

I wonder if a lot of these guys didn't want to talk about it?

Rodman was reluctant at first but then ended up sitting down for a few hours talking about it.

Jordan was the only person I noticed that had 2 different outfits on so most likely did 2 separate days of interviews.
    I think this documentary was more about Michael Jordan than the 97-98 Bulls.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126

The media in Australia has been trying to make a story out of this for a few weeks, trying to link his absence with arguments in lockers rooms etc,  but I really don't think there's much too it.
    Luc is a pretty quiet and reclusive guy and whilst he does some media, he doesn't look for it regularly. He has a farm a few hours down south of Perth to be out of the way

There's a couple of really good podcasts with Luc - where he talks about everything, but he has no problem with Jordan and considers him a friend. Call him to ctach up very now and then too.

The Howie Games did one  - 
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/4MqHZ5Bm1mSs83ALhWc6aT

And In All Airness has 2 - 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3FTaXH7Ig8YJFOxi4cL5cv

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5JmGYRFM1HSYrlRC7DRQIB

I know watching Bill Wennington speak instead of Luc was really frustrating to me, but then Wennington was a Radio colour commentator for the Bulls after his career, so no doubt has relationships with all the right people.

Other than Luc's absence, I loved the whole series and will watch it again very soon.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    So do you really believe in all that pizza story? Five guys delivering one pizza.. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    So do you really believe in all that pizza story? Five guys delivering one pizza.. 
    They investigated it and "the Manager went and delivered the pizza.  Nothing was done to the pizza.  There were only 2 guys that delivered it."

I still think Jordan was hungover, lol.
  • Options

Yeah he was conspicuously absent. Nothing Bulls-related from Harper either. Though his “fuck this bullshit” line about not getting to guard MJ on the Ehlo shot was gold. 

I wonder if a lot of these guys didn't want to talk about it?

Rodman was reluctant at first but then ended up sitting down for a few hours talking about it.

Jordan was the only person I noticed that had 2 different outfits on so most likely did 2 separate days of interviews.
    I think this documentary was more about Michael Jordan than the 97-98 Bulls.
    Well, Jordan IS the Bulls but other players were deserving in it too.

I would have loved to hear more announcers account of this time period.  If only Craig Sager was still alive.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,859
    This docu-series was phenomenal. I am ready for season 2....and I don't mean the Lakers stuff. It is astonishing to me how I was all in during that era. I still remember where I was during the reverse lay-up in the Finals against the Lakers. And in the post Jordan era, I mostly could not care less about the game.

I feel like Pippen came out of this looking very good. I've read he wasn't pleased with the way he was portrayed, and I just don't see it. Maybe the "migraine game" but I don't think he was knockng Scottie for it so much as he believed Scottie being out made the difference in the outcome and that is probably the loss that happens to sting the most for him over his career. 

I wonder how many more YouTube views and iTunes downloads Present Tense has recieved since Sunday night.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    One thing that gets me about the Jordan vs. LeBron debate is the fact that their games don't compare as well as Pippen and LeBron.  LeBron really is Scottie, but a more athletically gifted version of Scottie's introduction of the Point Forward to the NBA.  I think if Scottie played in today's more open style, as opposed to the physical, low-scoring mid-90's era that he may have put up numbers more similar to what LeBron has.  Maybe not as many points per game, but the rebounding, assists and his ability to defend any position on the floor would be so incredibly valuable.  Really, it was incredibly valuable in the 90's as he was essential to making the Bulls a championship contender.
  • Options
    This docu-series was phenomenal. I am ready for season 2....and I don't mean the Lakers stuff. It is astonishing to me how I was all in during that era. I still remember where I was during the reverse lay-up in the Finals against the Lakers. And in the post Jordan era, I mostly could not care less about the game.

I feel like Pippen came out of this looking very good. I've read he wasn't pleased with the way he was portrayed, and I just don't see it. Maybe the "migraine game" but I don't think he was knockng Scottie for it so much as he believed Scottie being out made the difference in the outcome and that is probably the loss that happens to sting the most for him over his career. 

I wonder how many more YouTube views and iTunes downloads Present Tense has recieved since Sunday night.
    So I thought Pippen looked great in this too but the sports talking heads wanted to make it a story which was dumb.

He got knocked on his ass against the Pistons and got up and played.
    Got knocked on his ass from Charles Smith, finished the dunk, and 1, got back up and played.
    Had the back problem, came back out and played.

I wish they would have shown his defensive proess more.

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750

Yep.  It was awesome.  And it made me realize even more how lucky I was to grow up a Bulls fan in Chicago in the 90s.  And it also made me realize how absolutely fucking insane it was for them to break up the franchise after winning 3 titles in a row and 6 in 8 years....the fact that the tubby egomaniac GM Krause announced prior to the season that Phil wouldn't be coming back is mind-boggling.  All because he couldn't handle how much praise MJ, Phil and everyone else but him got.  But as usual with Reinsdorf, it came down to money.  The fact that he owns 2 of my favorite teams in the Bulls and White Sox is so sad.  

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,859

Yep.  It was awesome.  And it made me realize even more how lucky I was to grow up a Bulls fan in Chicago in the 90s.  And it also made me realize how absolutely fucking insane it was for them to break up the franchise after winning 3 titles in a row and 6 in 8 years....the fact that the tubby egomaniac GM Krause announced prior to the season that Phil wouldn't be coming back is mind-boggling.  All because he couldn't handle how much praise MJ, Phil and everyone else but him got.  But as usual with Reinsdorf, it came down to money.  The fact that he owns 2 of my favorite teams in the Bulls and White Sox is so sad.  

The bitter Chicago rivalry aside, just hearing him talk about breaking up the Bulls reminded me how glad I am not to be a Sox fan. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I remember being a teenager sneaking into courtside seats at halftime of a Pacers / Knicks game at Market Square Arena and running smack into the entire Knicks team as they were coming out of the tunnel at halftime ... they looked 10x bigger in real life.  Charles Oakley is truly an intimidating person.

(pacers won!)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I don't think I've thought about Horace Grant once in the last decade.  I'm quite sure of it.  But now that he is kinda back in the spotlight, that dude was good.  And he was really good for two teams.  
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I don't think I've thought about Horace Grant once in the last decade.  I'm quite sure of it.  But now that he is kinda back in the spotlight, that dude was good.  And he was really good for two teams.  
    No doubt.  During the 94-95 season, I kept thinking how badly they needed him or someone who could at least be more stout at the 4.  They had that in Rodman, however Grant was a better offensive player and an above average rebounder.  The offense was very fluid when he was there.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    No doubt.  During the 94-95 season, I kept thinking how badly they needed him or someone who could at least be more stout at the 4.  They had that in Rodman, however Grant was a better offensive player and an above average rebounder.  The offense was very fluid when he was there.
    Offense was never their problem.  They needed toughness in the paint and a lock down defender.  Scottie and Jordan were head and shoulders above anyone else in the league, add that third person, be it Grant  or Rodman and that was their last ingredient needed.
  • Options
    Did anyone catch the Stephen A special on Monday?  I've been wanting to watch that.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited May 2020
    Did anyone catch the Stephen A special on Monday?  I've been wanting to watch that.

Nothing by Stephen A is worth a watch.

imo
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

imo
    Stepen A the mouthpiece is very different than Stephen A the fan.

I enjoy him regardless.  It's people like Pablo and Kinas I can't stand.  Skip Bayless is an idiot too.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    Stephen A knows which platforms need which Stephan A.  Lol.  

Used to see him at Philly games in the 90s when he was “just” a writer.  He’s done well for himself. 
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

imo
    Stepen A the mouthpiece is very different than Stephen A the fan.

I enjoy him regardless.  It's people like Pablo and Kinas I can't stand.  Skip Bayless is an idiot too.
    Skip Bayless does nothing but get off on disagreeing with every opinion/fact out there.  Skip would debate whether the sky was blue or not, depending on what color you believe it is.

• Options
    Jason P said:
    Offense was never their problem.  They needed toughness in the paint and a lock down defender.  Scottie and Jordan were head and shoulders above anyone else in the league, add that third person, be it Grant  or Rodman and that was their last ingredient needed.
    Rodman was a better rebounder and defender, but Grant was at least a threat to score.  If I had a choice between the two, I'll take Grant.  I agree, there's no doubt in my mind they needed that ingredient either way.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I have to go with Rodman every time.  I liked Grant.  He was awesome on NBA Jam.  Cool goggles.  At his peak he could have been a good 20/10 guy on a bad team.   Rodman’s talents were once a decade though.  Maybe even more than that 
  • Options
    I have to go with Rodman every time.  I liked Grant.  He was awesome on NBA Jam.  Cool goggles.  At his peak he could have been a good 20/10 guy on a bad team.   Rodman’s talents were once a decade though.  Maybe even more than that 
    Exactly.  He did the little things that most people overlook like setting a pick, drawing a charge, diving for a ball, menacing an opponent.

He was that pest that you couldn't get rid of and was 100% balls out all the time.

If you can control him, he is amazing, if you can't then you choose Grant.
  • Options
    Dennis was the most unique basketball player I can remember.  There was and will never be a better rebounder than him.  When he was locked in, no one hustled more than he did.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Dennis was the most unique basketball player I can remember.  There was and will never be a better rebounder than him.  When he was locked in, no one hustled more than he did.
    One night i saw him with the Bulls and it was turning into such a blowout.  He was like you said — balls to the wall.  Jumping into the stands to tip it back inbounds. Etc.   the funniest thing was he tipped in a missed Pippen shot and they gave Scottie the basket.  He was yelling at the PA announcer while laughing “cmon I barely shoot as it is!”    They changed it and the crowd (away game for the Bulls mind you) roared in approval.  

I miss his lazy looking passes that were always accurate. Taking his shoes off on the bench.  He was fun.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    One night i saw him with the Bulls and it was turning into such a blowout.  He was like you said — balls to the wall.  Jumping into the stands to tip it back inbounds. Etc.   the funniest thing was he tipped in a missed Pippen shot and they gave Scottie the basket.  He was yelling at the PA announcer while laughing “cmon I barely shoot as it is!”    They changed it and the crowd (away game for the Bulls mind you) roared in approval.  

I miss his lazy looking passes that were always accurate. Taking his shoes off on the bench.  He was fun.  
    To his credit, he picked certain things to excel at, tracking the basketball off of the rim by studying who was shooting the ball and from where along with being one of the best defenders in the history of the game.  Those two different three-peat eras were interesting.  The "Grant" era was more offensive and the "Rodman" era was more defensive.  The Bulls arguably had 3 of the greatest defensive players in the history of the game during the "Rodman" era.

• Options
    At the 4;56 mark is when Pippen starts chasing people down.  It also shows him doing that "push down" dunk I had mentioned him doing for a while.
    https://youtu.be/N9vFHYVXtRk
  • Options
    that block/dunk at 4:42 is beautiful
  • Options
    Has anyone watched “Game 6 the Movie” that ESPN put out shortly after the LD documentary?
  • Options
    Has anyone watched “Game 6 the Movie” that ESPN put out shortly after the LD documentary?
    I watched the first quarter.  It’s interesting.  The angles are a little weird but the video quality is amazing.