Options

The Last “Dance” ESPN Documentary

Comments

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    So I never knew that about Kerr's father in Beiruit.  How the hell did I ever miss that story?

I really want a part 2 now.  I am sure they have tons of footage left.
    I knew about that when I read the college basketball book "A Season Inside" by John Feinstein. It is a book going behind the scenes of the 1987-88 season and Feinstein basically wrote chapters on the all the major figures of the game then and some other and the whole backstory of Kerr's father and how he wound up at Arizona is in that book.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited May 2020
    The comment Miller made about the 1997-1998 Pacers being the better team really had me thinking too.  Chicago won 62 games and that was without Scottie for the first 2 months of the season.  I'd have to think more about this, but my initial impulse is to disagree with Miller.  If not for the game 4 winning shot (which should not have happened, he clearly pushed off of Jordan), that series never sees a game 7.
    Yeah I didn’t like that either. I never like when someone from the losing team says they were better than the team they lost to. But from Reggie’s perspective, the Bulls had to seem ripe for the picking...between fatigue from the Bulls’ three-straight title runs, Pippen’s back, and Rodman being on the cusp of being completely washed. But they had MJ, which renders most other weaknesses moot. 
    That pacers team was stacked though.  I remember them always playing the Knicks tough and they whooped them 4-1 that year.

That was a great Pacers team and with the talent they had they very well should have beat the Bulls.
    That was pretty much the same team they had rolled out the 3 years prior, except now a deeper bench and Larry Bird as the HC.  I would agree Indiana was the deeper team, but there's no one on the Pacers I would take before Jordan or Pippen.  Rodman was still rebounding and defending at a high level.  Kukoc always gets overlooked, but was a player ahead of his time.  If Toni had played in today's NBA, he would be the perfect stretch 4.  Chris Mullin was past his prime.  Reggie was a tremendous shooter, but I would disagree with the earlier comment comparing him to Curry.  He's nowhere near the ball handler Curry is.  Both the Pacers and Jazz caught breaks in those playoffs (Reggie's no-call push off and Pippen's back against Utah).  The Bulls could have and should have won both series within 5 games.

The reason I compare him to Curry is the movement he would do in a game.  He was always moving, running, using a pick to create space.  All the things that Curry does now Reggie was doing 20 years ago. 
    But Curry's way better at creating his own shot. They always had to run Reggie around picks. Sometimes many picks where he'd start on one wing, runs off of double Davis-brother picks underneath, and pop open in the opposite corner or wing. Bill Simmons laid it out in his book how this was sort of to the Pacers' detriment. Since Reggie didn't really take guys off the dribble, the whole offense had to be catered around finding ways to get him the ball in space.
    Or he needed Mark Jackson to drive and kick out to him.  Don't get me wrong, Reggie was unique in his time given the league was so inside-out at that time.  I think you can make comparisons to Reggie (Ray Allen, Allan Houston, Peja Stojakovic) where it's more difficult with Steph.

Yeah good point on the inside-out way of play in that era and Reggie being an outlier. He’d kill it today. But I still think Steph is better overall as a playmaker. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    You guys should go back and watch how much Miller ran around the court.  That is what I mean by him being like Curry.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    You guys should go back and watch how much Miller ran around the court.  That is what I mean by him being like Curry.
    I'll definitely go back and check it out.  I'd like to rewatch some more of the Bulls-Pacers series, but also the Knicks-Pacers games from 1994 and 1995.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    I'll definitely go back and check it out.  I'd like to rewatch some more of the Bulls-Pacers series, but also the Knicks-Pacers games from 1994 and 1995.

Knicks Pacers Bulls games were always battles.  All 3 teams were competitors and very fun to watch.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Knicks Pacers Bulls games were always battles.  All 3 teams were competitors and very fun to watch.
    I always felt those late 90’s Heat teams were kinda in that category too. They had some great, high-seeded teams in 97, 98, and 99 with Mourning, Hardaway, and Mashburn (with Riley coaching). But they couldn’t get it done in the playoffs. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

I always felt those late 90’s Heat teams were kinda in that category too. They had some great, high-seeded teams in 97, 98, and 99 with Mourning, Hardaway, and Mashburn (with Riley coaching). But they couldn’t get it done in the playoffs. 
    Think of all the fun teams in the 90's.  Lakers w Magic early and then Kobe and Shaq later, Dallas started to become good w Kidd and Jackson, Barkleys teams w Phoenix and Rockets. Seattle had Kemp and Payton oh and Detlef Schrempf!  The Spurs were no slouch either.  There was a very high caliber for some teams and others were just very, very bad.

Oh and I HATED Nick Van Excel and LOVED Eddie jones.  I was upset when he left the lakers.  He was one of my favorite players on a fastbreak.
  • Options
    The mid-90's Magic teams too.  The Hawks with Nique in his prime.  The Warriors had Run TMC (Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin), honestly any team coached by Don Nelson was fun to watch.  I was just looking up some stats on the 97-98 season and somehow ended up on the Phoenix Suns that year.  They won 56 games and had both Jason Kidd and Steve Nash on that club. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Somehow this play didn't make into the documentary at any point. One of my Pippen nit-picks from this otherwise perfect documentary. It's from Michael's "double-nickel" game. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgiZmKxAmFs
    Hubie Brown with the spot on analysis. Young buck back then. He was probably in his late 70's at the time. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    edited May 2020
    I wonder if MJ didn’t retire for those two years would the bulls have won eight in a row?

I don’t think so but I guess it depends on Phil Jackson 
    I don't think so either. 3-peats are difficult enough. I just don't see 8 in a row because they would stumble somewhere. I think that 94 Rockets team might have won even if they played Jordan and the Bulls.
    The only reason the Rockets won is because Jordan wasn't around.

The Knicks had that series but messed up.
    Not really. The Rockets were a bad match up for those Bulls teams. Jordan himself had doubts about Chicago's ability to beat the Rockets. In the first 3-peat, the Rockets went 5-1 against the Bulls. Nobody on the Rockets could stop Jordan, but Vernon Maxwell was a good enough defender to be a pain in his ass. The Bulls had nobody that would have been able to stop Olajuwon one on one. Jackson didn't like double teaming, so Olajuwon would have had a field day against them. Even if they did double team Olajuwon, Houston was one of the best 3-point shooting teams that year, so he would be able to kick it back out to a good shooter. It might have been a 7 game series, but I still think Houston would have won in 94.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I wonder if MJ didn’t retire for those two years would the bulls have won eight in a row?

I don't think so either. 3-peats are difficult enough. I just don't see 8 in a row because they would stumble somewhere. I think that 94 Rockets team might have won even if they played Jordan and the Bulls.

Not really. The Rockets were a bad match up for those Bulls teams. Jordan himself had doubts about Chicago's ability to beat the Rockets. In the first 3-peat, the Rockets went 5-1 against the Bulls. Nobody on the Rockets could stop Jordan, but Vernon Maxwell was a good enough defender to be a pain in his ass. The Bulls had nobody that would have been able to stop Olajuwon one on one. Jackson didn't like double teaming, so Olajuwon would have had a field day against them. Even if they did double team Olajuwon, Houston was one of the best 3-point shooting teams that year, so he would be able to kick it back out to a good shooter. It might have been a 7 game series, but I still think Houston would have won in 94.
    That would have been an incredible series to watch.  Hakeem is my favorite big man who ever played.  Dude doesn't get enough recognition in my opinion.  He retired as the career leader in blocks, if I'm not mistaken, and his skill set in the post is the best I've ever seen.  Just ask the admiral...
    HD Hakeem Olajuwon Dream Shake on David Robinson on Make a GIF
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
  • Options
    The mid-90's Magic teams too.  The Hawks with Nique in his prime.  The Warriors had Run TMC (Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin), honestly any team coached by Don Nelson was fun to watch.  I was just looking up some stats on the 97-98 season and somehow ended up on the Phoenix Suns that year.  They won 56 games and had both Jason Kidd and Steve Nash on that club. 
    Latrell Sprewell and Donyell Marshall later too.
  • Options

That would have been an incredible series to watch.  Hakeem is my favorite big man who ever played.  Dude doesn't get enough recognition in my opinion.  He retired as the career leader in blocks, if I'm not mistaken, and his skill set in the post is the best I've ever seen.  Just ask the admiral...
    HD Hakeem Olajuwon Dream Shake on David Robinson on Make a GIF
    Olajawon had the best feet of any big man ever.  Other centers would seek him out and practice with him.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628
    edited May 2020
    Now that the whole series is available I'm ready to binge.... Excellent doc... less than halfway through, but can already say I think Phil Jackson was the coolest person in the NBA.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Somehow this play didn't make into the documentary at any point. One of my Pippen nit-picks from this otherwise perfect documentary. It's from Michael's "double-nickel" game. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgiZmKxAmFs
    Hubie Brown with the spot on analysis. Young buck back then. He was probably in his late 70's at the time. 
    Always liked Hubie. Can’t believe he’s still around. He provided some great analysis of Pippen’s famous dunk on Ewing. 

“See now when Pippen goes up, this was an elevation elevation!” 

No, my phone’s auto correct, that wasn’t a mistake typing the same word twice. I’m quoting Hubie. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    They should have showed Kukoc’s third quarter in game 7 against the Pacers.  I re-watched that game last week and he kept them in the game and allowed MJ to rest.  B.S. that wasn’t included.  Would have taken only a minute.
    I was thinking the same thing.  They don't win that game without Kukoc's effort.

Yeah i was very surprised they didnt mention Kukoc. He won that game.  

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Now that the whole series is available I'm ready to binge.... Excellent doc... less than halfway through, but can already say I think Phil Jackson was the coolest person in the NBA.
    Seems like he really understood that you can’t manage everyone the same. More coaches should be like that.  No way Rodman gets away with some of the stuff he pulled with any other coach, but there’s also no way any other coach gets that kind of production out of him from 96-98. 
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    That was a great ending, love that song so much.. 
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Great ending.

Documentary was about 9 episodes too long
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    Smellyman said:
    Great ending.

Not a bulls fan?
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Smellyman said:
    Great ending.

Not a bulls fan?

meh, I was a kid that really liked Jordan.

But it was just way too long with the same things over and over and over.

My friend wanted to watch it so I downloaded it for him and watched it together.

There was nothing overly special about it to me.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    edited May 2020
    I'm a bit behind on the series....I just watched episodes 7-8 last night.

I had kind of forgotten the story behind MJ leaving the Bulls and playing baseball and then returning.  I was at Market Square Arena when MJ played his first game back.  That place was insane.  I also completely forgot that he was wearing #45 that night.  I can't believe that was 25 years ago.  It was a great victory for the Pacers though....that game at least.

I do remember thinking at the time that I was watching a piece of history.  
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    My favorite time seeing Jordan was during the 72-10 year.  That team was so in sync that night it was almost mindless.  Jordan had 48.  Didnt even bother checking into the game after the 3rd quarter. 
  • Options
    RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 886
    "Game 6: The Movie” Wed night on ESPN. It will use archived material from the NBA, featuring exclusive, never-before-seen game footage by five different cameras, per ESPN. It will use the original commentary over “new and innovative views of the historic game.”
  • Options
    RK50065 said:
    "Game 6: The Movie” Wed night on ESPN. It will use archived material from the NBA, featuring exclusive, never-before-seen game footage by five different cameras, per ESPN. It will use the original commentary over “new and innovative views of the historic game.”
    Wow.  Looking forward to that. 
    The commentary was just okay.  My issue with Bob Costas is that he’s a radio play by play guy calling a TV game. “Jordan....dribbles four times to his left....”.  
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    I saw Jordan play for the Wizards when I was 9 years old in 2002. I was a huge Iverson fan at the time and the game was in DC so all I cared about was Iverson outplaying Jordan so I could strut my Iverson jersey in front of all the Wizards fans on the way out. Iverson had more points and the Sixers won so I was satisfied. Looking back though, it had to be one of Jordan’s better games as a Wizard. He had 30 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals and a block. Meanwhile Iverson had 34 points and not much else, so Jordan probably played the better game overall. Looking back I wish I was a little more appreciative that I was watching the greatest player to ever live, but it’s still cool knowing that I got to watch him in-person and even on a night where he was able to manage a Bulls-era level performance.

Another fun fact about that game: Eric Snow had 19 points, 8 rebounds, and 9 assists, which I can only assume is the closest he’s ever come to a triple double. 
  • Options
    I watched the Flu Game on YouTube for the first time since I saw it live, when I was 15.  I still felt myself tense up watching that game.
  • Options
    Not one mention from Luc Longley during this whole thing.

Not that it matters but would have been nice to here the Aussie speak.
  • Options

Yeah he was conspicuously absent. Nothing Bulls-related from Harper either. Though his “fuck this bullshit” line about not getting to guard MJ on the Ehlo shot was gold. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Yeah he was conspicuously absent. Nothing Bulls-related from Harper either. Though his “fuck this bullshit” line about not getting to guard MJ on the Ehlo shot was gold. 

I wonder if a lot of these guys didn't want to talk about it?

Rodman was reluctant at first but then ended up sitting down for a few hours talking about it.

Jordan was the only person I noticed that had 2 different outfits on so most likely did 2 separate days of interviews.