The Joe Rogan Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    Most hippies I’ve know are proud of being called hippies.  Is that somehow offensive now? I often refer to cannabis as hippie lettuce?  

Well, but what is a hippie? 
    In 1969 I spent a summer working at United Airlines cleaning commercial jets at the service center.  Early in in the job, this really cool mechanic I got to know took me around the big hanger to show me some of what was going on there.  The only thing that was different looking about me was that I had hair 1/4 of the way down my back.  All of the sudden one of the mechanics yelled out, "Hey, we got a hippie working here!"  The good man who was showing me around hollered back, "He's got a job working here, he's no hippie!"  I thought that was so cool!  Yeah, I had the hair, the clothes and loves the music, but I never considered myself a hippie.  Not ever.  To me, hippies were these spaced out filthy bums who hung out in Golden Gate Park and the park "Panhandle" not far from where I live who were constantly trying to bum spare change from me like I had it spare.  I had nothing in common with most of those folks and avoided them at every turn.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    a comment he made 36 years ago. the king of finding decades-old things to be offended by strikes again! 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited January 2022
    This came out today.  If untrue my apologies…

https://www.alternativenation.net/neil-young-offensive-remark-about-aids-revealed/

Neil Young Offensive Remark About AIDS Revealed

Let’s take a big step back to the year 1985 when Neil Young was still speaking his mind of the current conditions of the world. While Young was often looked up to as someone to spread a good message and a message of not selling out, he changed his tone pretty swiftly and became hated and problematic.

The AIDS pandemic was hitting an upswing and more and more cases came out. Neil Young didn’t read the science and took his own stance on the subject. Does this sound familiar? It should. Young blamed people who were homosexual for the pandemic to which, at this current time, Young has tried to sweep under the rug.

Your link says alternative nation - but is it the quote from the latimes article or what? Somewhere else?

What is the context for that quote? I don't think that was explained or described in the latimes article. Just a short quote without any source or real context. 

Curious on the context.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    alternative nation is garbage, whether the quote is real or not. best to read it with heavy bags of salt on hand. but even if he said it that long ago, who cares. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    alternative nation is garbage, whether the quote is real or not. best to read it with heavy bags of salt on hand. but even if he said it that long ago, who cares. 
    Doesnt alternative nation have a history of creating nonsense PJ articles based on comments  from this forum?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946

https://www.alternativenation.net/neil-young-offensive-remark-about-aids-revealed/

Let’s take a big step back to the year 1985 when Neil Young was still speaking his mind of the current conditions of the world. While Young was often looked up to as someone to spread a good message and a message of not selling out, he changed his tone pretty swiftly and became hated and problematic.

The AIDS pandemic was hitting an upswing and more and more cases came out. Neil Young didn’t read the science and took his own stance on the subject. Does this sound familiar? It should. Young blamed people who were homosexual for the pandemic to which, at this current time, Young has tried to sweep under the rug.

Looks like the mob is trying to cancel Neil. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739

Neil can do as he pleases.  There was several articles…today

if it’s incorrect, fine.  That’s why I asked.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425

A mob of people that still use that word like it’s nothing
  • alternative nation is garbage, whether the quote is real or not. best to read it with heavy bags of salt on hand. but even if he said it that long ago, who cares. 
    Doesnt alternative nation have a history of creating nonsense PJ articles based on comments  from this forum?
    Doubt there is one user on here that hasn't been quoted on there.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    Nami said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-AEmqvyikM

Is this true?  Just looked up the Hipgnosis, then the blackstone portion, then the appointment of the Ex-CEO of pfizer.

Regardless, not good seeing Blackstone tied to his name/music... ugh

Neil sold his music to HipGnosis before Blackstone purchased them, so he has no actual connection to blackstone.  It is actually surprising that they agreed to let his little revenue stream be shut down temporarily due to the wishes of the artist.
    They don’t own the recordings.
    I don't think I said or inferred that? Thanks though.
    What’s the part of revenue stream shut down  about?
    brianlux said:
    Most hippies I’ve know are proud of being called hippies.  Is that somehow offensive now? I often refer to cannabis as hippie lettuce?  

In 1969 I spent a summer working at United Airlines cleaning commercial jets at the service center.  Early in in the job, this really cool mechanic I got to know took me around the big hanger to show me some of what was going on there.  The only thing that was different looking about me was that I had hair 1/4 of the way down my back.  All of the sudden one of the mechanics yelled out, "Hey, we got a hippie working here!"  The good man who was showing me around hollered back, "He's got a job working here, he's no hippie!"  I thought that was so cool!  Yeah, I had the hair, the clothes and loves the music, but I never considered myself a hippie.  Not ever.  To me, hippies were these spaced out filthy bums who hung out in Golden Gate Park and the park "Panhandle" not far from where I live who were constantly trying to bum spare change from me like I had it spare.  I had nothing in common with most of those folks and avoided them at every turn.
    Interesting take.  Thanks for sharing…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

No problem!
    And I don't mean to be overly harsh on people who refer to themselves ad hippies.  There are people very close to me who think of themselves as "old hippies" and I love them dearly.  I don't even mind if people call me a hippie as long as it's not used as a derogatory term.  But despite my age, I'd rather be called a punk rocker, or just, "hey, you".  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No problem!
    And I don't mean to be overly harsh on people who refer to themselves ad hippies.  There are people very close to me who think of themselves as "old hippies" and I love them dearly.  I don't even mind if people call me a hippie as long as it's not used as a derogatory term.  But despite my age, I'd rather be called a punk rocker, or just, "hey, you".  :lol:
    I never considered it derogatory…my mom used to call an older cousin a hippy.  He hitchhiked and lived off peoples goodwill in the late 60s.  He never got offended.  But fits your definition.  Jobless and sorta homeless.  He became a teacher eventually…
    Give Peas A Chance…

I’m sure there was no motive behind it. 
  • AW124797AW124797 Posts: 665
    AW124797 said:
    Perhaps you missed without naming names.  How do you know I was posting about you unless you’re that egotistical to believe that everything is about you.  But since you responded I guess I hit a nerve.  Asking women to not throw us back into the stone ages is not directing anything at one particular person HOWEVER thank you for proving my point.  
    AND FINALLY IF YOU FEEL SHAME ITS NOT MY PROBLEM 
    This is very interesting and progressive double down - all ladies united under one opinion. 
    At no time did I ask anyone to change their opinion.  I merely asked that when giving an opinion it’s best to post intelligently without anger.  
    If you’re going to comment on someone’s post take the time to actually read and comprehend the context. 
    "I merely asked." Haha. Clever, just like the not naming names. Without anger you said her opinion is "idiotic and downright stupid statement." Much to comprehend. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    edited February 2022
    AW124797 said:
    AW124797 said:
    Perhaps you missed without naming names.  How do you know I was posting about you unless you’re that egotistical to believe that everything is about you.  But since you responded I guess I hit a nerve.  Asking women to not throw us back into the stone ages is not directing anything at one particular person HOWEVER thank you for proving my point.  
    This is very interesting and progressive double down - all ladies united under one opinion. 
    At no time did I ask anyone to change their opinion.  I merely asked that when giving an opinion it’s best to post intelligently without anger.  
    If you’re going to comment on someone’s post take the time to actually read and comprehend the context. 
    "I merely asked." Haha. Clever, just like the not naming names. Without anger you said her opinion is "idiotic and downright stupid statement." Much to comprehend. 
    Changed my mind, you’re not worth it. 
    Post edited by cblock4life on
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No problem!
    I never considered it derogatory…my mom used to call an older cousin a hippy.  He hitchhiked and lived off peoples goodwill in the late 60s.  He never got offended.  But fits your definition.  Jobless and sorta homeless.  He became a teacher eventually…

That's cool.  I think though that there are some here who use the term in a slighting manner.  Oh well!

• AW124797AW124797 Posts: 665
    AW124797 said:
    AW124797 said:
    Changed my mind, you’re not worth it. 
    Very well then, cblock4life.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No problem!

That's cool.  I think though that there are some here who use the term in a slighting manner.  Oh well!
    When I refer to my weed as hippy lettuce 🥬 it’s all about love…
    Give Peas A Chance…

I agree he may have not meant harm…but if true it’s still misinformation.
    Give Peas A Chance…

I was referring to your motives for posting it in here.
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No problem!

When I refer to my weed as hippy lettuce 🥬 it’s all about love…

Well then, enjoy your hippy lettuce reefer.  :lol: 

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650
    Tomorrow Alternative Nation is publishing an article titled: "Alternative Nation is Garbage HughFreakingDillon says its best to read it with heavy bags of salt on hand."
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    Nami said:

Is this true?  Just looked up the Hipgnosis, then the blackstone portion, then the appointment of the Ex-CEO of pfizer.

Neil sold his music to HipGnosis before Blackstone purchased them, so he has no actual connection to blackstone.  It is actually surprising that they agreed to let his little revenue stream be shut down temporarily due to the wishes of the artist.
    Neil doesn't have final say on where his music is streamed etc.  The company that owns the publishing rights does.  In this case they sided with neil, that doesn't mean they will always follow his wishes.  The company bought the rights for streaming so they can collect those sweet .000001 cents a song royalties and for marketing purposes, so for the company to side with neil means they are okay losing spotify streaming revenue.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889

Your link says alternative nation - but is it the quote from the latimes article or what? Somewhere else?

What is the context for that quote? I don't think that was explained or described in the latimes article. Just a short quote without any source or real context. 

Curious on the context.
    Its a real comment, I think it might be in Shakey.  At any rate I remember learning about it at least 10 years ago, something about gay slurs not touching your produce or something.  Obviously he grew since the statement and wrote the amazing song Philadelphia for the wonderful movie of the same name that tackled the Aids/Homosexual issues that were very prevalent at the time.  Too bad they robbed him of the award and gave it to Bruce's great, but not as great song from the movie.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111 said:

Curious on the context.
    Its a real comment, I think it might be in Shakey.  At any rate I remember learning about it at least 10 years ago, something about gay slurs not touching your produce or something.  Obviously he grew since the statement and wrote the amazing song Philadelphia for the wonderful movie of the same name that tackled the Aids/Homosexual issues that were very prevalent at the time.  Too bad they robbed him of the award and gave it to Bruce's great, but not as great song from the movie.
    I'm not saying the quote is not correct. But would like more context to it. Out of curiosity.

What was the question being asked, and is that the whole thing Neil said. Or is it a chosen part of a longer response to make Neil problematic in a 2022 context where we do not use "the f-word" (are you allowed to say the whole thing in America?) since sometime after EMINEM broken through in the 90s and we are 35 years past the AIDS scare.

I was referring to your motives for posting it in here.
    You mean that Neil was spreading misinformation about a virus that was a 100% a death sentence at the time…that’s funny as hell.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    Nami said:

Neil doesn't have final say on where his music is streamed etc.  The company that owns the publishing rights does.  In this case they sided with neil, that doesn't mean they will always follow his wishes.  The company bought the rights for streaming so they can collect those sweet .000001 cents a song royalties and for marketing purposes, so for the company to side with neil means they are okay losing spotify streaming revenue.
    It was a marketing move.  Now everyone under 30 is wondering WTF is Neil Young?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited February 2022
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    Nami said:

Neil doesn't have final say on where his music is streamed etc.  
    You don't know jack shit about their deal though. Neil said, if I am not mistaken, that he still had control over the songs when the press release about it went out.

He also did not, in his letter say anything about asking them(?). He asked his record company to remove it.