Options

The Joe Rogan Thread

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,313
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:
    Thread too long to read, though I did attempt a search to see if this has been posted. Seemed really odd to me that PJ didn't follow suit with Uncle Neil. Then I remembered EV has a new album about to drop... no way in hell he (or the band) gonna commercially hinder that so there you have it!
    Would be weird for Pearl Jam as a group to leave, but Eddie Vedder solo to stay on for that sweet sweet Spotify first week streams. 

You really like to post this. Trying to make people aware that it isn't 1995 anymore?
    By pointing out the fashion or the airplane model, or what are you talking about?
    Eddie now caters to the rich and famous and can be bought...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Thread too long to read, though I did attempt a search to see if this has been posted. Seemed really odd to me that PJ didn't follow suit with Uncle Neil. Then I remembered EV has a new album about to drop... no way in hell he (or the band) gonna commercially hinder that so there you have it!
    Would be weird for Pearl Jam as a group to leave, but Eddie Vedder solo to stay on for that sweet sweet Spotify first week streams. 
    Weird would be one way to put it... inconsistent, unprincipled, hypocritical are other words that come to mind.
    Those would be the right words.
    In any event I find the silence from PJ deafening.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Speaking of hypocrisy…..
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,965
    Tjm007 said:
    When did America turn into an authoritarian country that wants to ban everything and everyone that has different views ?
    Perhaps you've misunderstood the definition of an "authoritarian country". An authoritarian country doesn't bend to the whims of the public - on the contrary, it imposes its will regardless of public sentiment. 

When the public exerts pressure to make change with vocal criticism and non-violent protest - that's not only the way democratic countries have functioned for centuries, but a large part of the reason said democratic countries still exist and ever proceed in positive directions. 

Also, authoritarianism typically involves some loss of freedom. The only freedom I can think of that you'd have lost with this disclaimer about potentially false information coming to Spotify, is the freedom to be ignorant. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,066
    edited January 2022
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:

You really like to post this. Trying to make people aware that it isn't 1995 anymore?
    Kind of along those lines.

Just funny to me that people think that 2022 EV gives a shit about any of this.

agreed...as if leaving Spotify would have any effect on album sales or a tour
    Post edited by Kat on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Without naming a particular person just let me say that not many women post around here and then along comes one that posts such idiotic, rude, downright stupid statements that make women look like our mentality is still worthy of being clubbed in the head and dragged in the cave.  
    At the very least try to sound like an intelligent women when giving your opinion and stop using derogatory language to describe people. 
    I’ve learned from posting that anger and stupidly gets you nowhere around here.  
    If you’re not able to support women by acting intelligent then please don’t post at all because you make us all look bad. 

You do realize one does have the right to have their own opinion about things on here? … that has not been cancelled as of yet.   Your PERSONAL attacks towards ME are what gets one BANNED on here.  Name calling towards discussed individuals or topics are part of the game on here, just look the threads and the insults that have  to do w/ Trump or anything Republican…. if you can’t handle responding to posts without personally insulting a club member,  you may want to play somewhere else or learn to agree to disagree w/ the opinions of other paying customes w/o personally insulting them.  And Shame on you for trying to Shame me for being a female and having a difference of opinion.   

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,434
    Perhaps you missed without naming names.  How do you know I was posting about you unless you’re that egotistical to believe that everything is about you.  But since you responded I guess I hit a nerve.  Asking women to not throw us back into the stone ages is not directing anything at one particular person HOWEVER thank you for proving my point.  
    AND FINALLY IF YOU FEEL SHAME ITS NOT MY PROBLEM 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,947
    don't get the thread locked, ladies.....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,320
    edited January 2022
    I don't get this year thing.

In 1995 Neil Young, among other things released an album named Mirrorball and did the soundtrack to the jim Jarmush western Dead Man--

-- and he would have left Spotify back then also. 

So what is the point?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Without naming a particular person just let me say that not many women post around here and then along comes one that posts such idiotic, rude, downright stupid statements that make women look like our mentality is still worthy of being clubbed in the head and dragged in the cave.  
    At the very least try to sound like an intelligent women when giving your opinion and stop using derogatory language to describe people. 
    I’ve learned from posting that anger and stupidly gets you nowhere around here.  
    If you’re not able to support women by acting intelligent then please don’t post at all because you make us all look bad. 

You do realize one does have the right to have their own opinion about things on here? … that has not been cancelled as of yet.   Your PERSONAL attacks towards ME are what gets one BANNED on here.  Name calling towards discussed individuals or topics are part of the game on here, just look the threads and the insults that have  to do w/ Trump or anything Republican…. if you can’t handle responding to posts without personally insulting a club member,  you may want to play somewhere else or learn to agree to disagree w/ the opinions of other paying customes w/o personally insulting them.  And Shame on you for trying to Shame me for being a female and having a difference of opinion.   

Are you still posting alt-right lies about Greta Thunberg?

Or did that stop?

Speaking of things to feel ashamed about.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    the band has personal causes they believe in and they have the right to pick and choose their fights. I don't expect them to pick up every torch that is lit just because the fan base deems it righteous. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2022
    the band has personal causes they believe in and they have the right to pick and choose their fights. I don't expect them to pick up every torch that is lit just because the fan base deems it righteous. 
    No. One can still be curious about them not supporting their "uncle". The spoon stirring the jamily. The Father Faithful.

I mean, they did support Pono out of the gate :P 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,313
    No. One can still be curious about them not supporting their "uncle". The spoon stirring the jamily. The Father Faithful.

I mean, I kind of see your point considering their cancellation of a certain eastern state's concert a few years back over an issue they didn't support, but I don't think this is in any way similar either.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    electronicsdudeelectronicsdude Posts: 12
    edited January 2022
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:

Kind of along those lines.

Just funny to me that people think that 2022 EV gives a shit about any of this.

agreed...as if leaving Spotify would have any effect on album sales or a tour
    It's not album "sales" or a tour... in this day every time a track is streamed it = $
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    maybe they see it as hypocritical to tear down one media giant while propping up two others?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2022
    tbergs said:

I mean, I kind of see your point considering their cancellation of a certain eastern state's concert a few years back over an issue they didn't support, but I don't think this is in any way similar either.
    That choice, instead of choosing another way to loadly protest, did hurt fans though - having taken vacation days, buying hotel and flight tickets. It was not a very fan centric approach. And the t-shirt I bought later on to support the cause, was to small for me.

This on the other hand, would de facto not hurt any fans financially. And they would turn back a bit to team neil over team bruce.
  • Options

Lest we not forget the cancelled NC show that some conspiracy theorists attributed to following Bruce's lead...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

That choice, instead of choosing another way to loadly protest, did hurt fans though - having taken vacation days, buying hotel and flight tickets. It was not a very fan centric approach. 

This on the other hand, would de facto not hurt any fans financially. 
    they should have played the Raleigh show and donated all proceeds to the LGBTQ cause. I agree. But that was beaten to death when it happened. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,608
    I don't watch Rogan, but I watched his Instagram comments.  He is absolutely correct that talking about the virus possibly being lab grown was called misinformation and banned on some social networks until it wasn't.  We can all agree people shouldn't peddle misinformation, but it is a slippery slope as to what should be considered misinformation.  The J&J vaccine was safe for the elderly until it wasn't.  
    But is saying it might have been lab grown even an issue? Who cares about that?

Deal with it first then we can figure out if someone is responsible. We still need to get vaxxed
    I'm just raising the question of who is the decider of what is or isn't misinformation, or rather intentional misinformation.  
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,146
    Well thought out, reasonable response from Joe Rogan. “Misinformation” is becoming a dangerous word. Who determines what is misinformation and what isn’t?  Things have been taken down all over the internet that were labeled as such that turned out to be true. Open discussion from a podcast that has all kinds of different guests and viewpoints should not be taken down. People want things labeled as something negative when it doesn’t align with their own viewpoint. 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 647
    Perhaps you missed without naming names.  How do you know I was posting about you unless you’re that egotistical to believe that everything is about you.  But since you responded I guess I hit a nerve.  Asking women to not throw us back into the stone ages is not directing anything at one particular person HOWEVER thank you for proving my point.  
    AND FINALLY IF YOU FEEL SHAME ITS NOT MY PROBLEM 
    This is very interesting and progressive double down - all ladies united under one opinion. 
  • Options
    Well thought out, reasonable response from Joe Rogan. “Misinformation” is becoming a dangerous word. Who determines what is misinformation and what isn’t?  Things have been taken down all over the internet that were labeled as such that turned out to be true. Open discussion from a podcast that has all kinds of different guests and viewpoints should not be taken down. People want things labeled as something negative when it doesn’t align with their own viewpoint. 
    I get what you're saying here, but at the same time, it seems clear that Rogan, at least up until this point, simply doesn't/didn't grasp the gravity of his words/discussions on his show. He doesn't understand his influence. there is ZERO wrong with challenging anything, science included (that's how it works), but when you routinely have guests on that spout obvious conspiracy theories without a shred of evidence, and posting it as fact, and then try to balance that out by excusing yourself since you occasionally have experts on, is irresponsible. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2022
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:

By pointing out the fashion or the airplane model, or what are you talking about?
    Eddie now caters to the rich and famous and can be bought...
    Are you suggesting he…

• Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 349
    dankind said:

Are you same person you were 15 minutes ago?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:

Are you same person you were 15 minutes ago?

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,837
    benjs said:
    Tjm007 said:
    When did America turn into an authoritarian country that wants to ban everything and everyone that has different views ?
    Perhaps you've misunderstood the definition of an "authoritarian country". An authoritarian country doesn't bend to the whims of the public - on the contrary, it imposes its will regardless of public sentiment. 

When the public exerts pressure to make change with vocal criticism and non-violent protest - that's not only the way democratic countries have functioned for centuries, but a large part of the reason said democratic countries still exist and ever proceed in positive directions. 

Also, authoritarianism typically involves some loss of freedom. The only freedom I can think of that you'd have lost with this disclaimer about potentially false information coming to Spotify, is the freedom to be ignorant. 
    That is the number 2 (to firearms ownership) favorite freedom of Americans today.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,153
    I get what you're saying here, but at the same time, it seems clear that Rogan, at least up until this point, simply doesn't/didn't grasp the gravity of his words/discussions on his show. He doesn't understand his influence. there is ZERO wrong with challenging anything, science included (that's how it works), but when you routinely have guests on that spout obvious conspiracy theories without a shred of evidence, and posting it as fact, and then try to balance that out by excusing yourself since you occasionally have experts on, is irresponsible. 

or he does understand his influence since cashing a 100 million dollar check. and how often he falls back on that lame ass "I'm  just a dumb monkey, dont listen to me" or "I'm  just a stupid comedian, you shouldn't listen to me" , the above tells me he does know and doesnt really care
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    I don't watch Rogan, but I watched his Instagram comments.  He is absolutely correct that talking about the virus possibly being lab grown was called misinformation and banned on some social networks until it wasn't.  We can all agree people shouldn't peddle misinformation, but it is a slippery slope as to what should be considered misinformation.  The J&J vaccine was safe for the elderly until it wasn't.  

Deal with it first then we can figure out if someone is responsible. We still need to get vaxxed
    I'm just raising the question of who is the decider of what is or isn't misinformation, or rather intentional misinformation.  
    When probably 99% of the scientific community says you are spreading misinformation, you are probably spreading misinformation. We can agree on that right?

You have people who have dedicated their entire careers to research in a scientific field vs. someone who's read a couple shitty opinion pieces on the internet to validate their gut feeling.

Intentions don't really matter here. The damage is just the same. And Spotify knows better.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,153
    dignin said:

When probably 99% of the scientific community says you are spreading misinformation, you are probably spreading misinformation. We can agree on that right?

You have people who have dedicated their entire careers to research in a scientific field vs. someone who's read a couple shitty opinion pieces on the internet to validate their gut feeling.

Intentions don't really matter here. The damage is just the same. And Spotify knows better.

intention always runs a very distant second to result of intention.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,991
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-AEmqvyikM

Is this true?  Just looked up the Hipgnosis, then the blackstone portion, then the appointment of the Ex-CEO of pfizer.

Regardless, not good seeing Blackstone tied to his name/music... ugh

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....