Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,032
    Michelle Obama ain’t walking through that door and even if she did, I’m not sure she’d beat POOTWH, particularly with Kamala remaining as the undercard. Better get used to and accept the fact that POOTWH is going to be re-elected and implement a fascist state. For what it’s worth:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/02/politics/cnn-poll-post-debate/index.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,208
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    It's all a disaster. Everything being said about Biden is true.  He's old, he's tired, and just because he can sometimes come across well, doesn't mean the debate performance isn't just as likely to come out at any given time. The "3AM emergency scenario," for example. He's flat out not fit to be president.  Trump is nearly as old but not as close to senile. In terms of physical and mental abilities, he's more fit. However, in terms of his complete disregard for the people he's supposed to be serving, his narcissism, his likely devotion to the leader of another country, his (realistic) desire to be a dictator, and the potential of his actions to destroy the republic, I cannot vote for him. The question is can I vote for Biden? Honestly, if I was certain the country I know and love could come out of this intact four years from now, I'd vote third. But I'm not. So here's my rationale: I'm voting for an administration.

Remember, we love that America doesn't have a dictator (for now). Joe won't be one and he'll be surrounded by far better people than Trump is.
    That's the kicker. I'm surprised by polling that still shows Biden doing better against tRump than Harris or Newsome.

I'm not sure I believe that but it's interesting.

Certainly for Newsome, it's a recognition issue.  There was a recent poll but Reuters just released that only has Michelle Obama beating Trump.  And she thumps him 50-39.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4753294-michelle-obama-donald-trump-joe-biden-democrat-2024-hypothetical-matchup-survey/
    Honestly - if the Dems want to be sure to win this election you need Biden to drop out and Michelle to take his place at the top of the ticket.  You can keep Harris if you feel you need to in order to keep the campaign structure and $.  A Michelle/Kamala ticket would be quite interesting and I'd be very interested to know of it works or she needs to add more diversity to her ticket. 

But I do not believe that will happen.  So it's diminished Joe vs insane Donald.  What an election.
    I don't think she has the slightest interest in being president.  I do agree she would smoke him though.  
    If she would campaign for Harris that wouldn't hurt....if Harris gets the nod

Pretty apparent that Joe will drop out regardless of what the attitude is coming from his camp right now.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,502
    I'm sitting this one out
    For everyone whose top priority is "stopping Trump," you should reflect on the possibility that this is not the top priority of Joe Biden and his inner circle at the moment. Hence the tidal wave of whispers, leaks, and some on the record comments being reported.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,208
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    For everyone whose top priority is "stopping Trump," you should reflect on the possibility that this is not the top priority of Joe Biden and his inner circle at the moment. Hence the tidal wave of whispers, leaks, and some on the record comments being reported.
    Disagree...that's the priority
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,357
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    What do you think Biden’s top priority is because I don't think he would have even run again if Trump had disappeared. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    What do you think Biden’s top priority is because I don't think he would have even run again if Trump had disappeared. 
    Power. I thought all the "Hunter and Jill as closest advisers" was making that point pretty clear on top of everything else.
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    I believe people are projecting an awful lot onto Joe Biden despite a decades long track record of who Joe Biden is and panicked journalists and politicos now trying to remind you 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    Power. I thought all the "Hunter and Jill as closest advisers" was making that point pretty clear on top of everything else.
    I wouldn't be so cynical as to call it "power".  I think that it is human nature for someone to think they are best qualified to do whatever job, particularly if they have been doing it.  Politicians, in particular, feel that way.  You have to have that arrogance and a touch of narcissism to think you can be the leader of the free world.  
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    I wouldn't be so cynical as to call it "power".  I think that it is human nature for someone to think they are best qualified to do whatever job, particularly if they have been doing it.  Politicians, in particular, feel that way.  You have to have that arrogance and a touch of narcissism to think you can be the leader of the free world.  
    I'm being glib but I generally agree. You also have to factor in his cognitive condition and Hunter and Jill's desires when they're in his ear. These are not people known for their selfless public service.
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    I also totally understand anyone who says they will individually vote for Biden if that's the name on the ballot but I think "Biden should remain on the ballot" is asking for trouble 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,921
    Biden
    Biden has been underestimated for a long time. First, Obama made the choice to give his support to Hillary Clinton over Biden as his successor. (Biden did not ultimately run in 2016, mostly due to the death of his son, but Obama's decision was also a factor.) In the 2020 Democratic primaries, Biden was written off as old and out of touch with the imagined progressive base of the party. After Iowa and New Hampshire, he was written off. Then he won the nomination going away because he was always the best candidate and was always the candidate who was most in synch with the actual Democratic base, which is not progressives on Twitter. Then he beat Trump easily in the general election. He's still the only person to beat Trump (other than in individual state primaries or caucuses).

I'm not stating a position here on whether Biden should stay in the race or not. I'm just pointing out that, from his perspective and the perspective of his closest advisors, this is surely part of the analysis.

The contrast between Democrats wetting the bed over a bad debate performance and Republicans not even blinking when their guy foments an insurrection, refuses to concede the election, and gets convicted of 34 felony counts-- and rambles incoherently and lies throughout the same debate that Biden tanked-- is striking.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Biden
    BF25394 said:
    Biden has been underestimated for a long time. First, Obama made the choice to give his support to Hillary Clinton over Biden as his successor. (Biden did not ultimately run in 2016, mostly due to the death of his son, but Obama's decision was also a factor.) In the 2020 Democratic primaries, Biden was written off as old and out of touch with the imagined progressive base of the party. After Iowa and New Hampshire, he was written off. Then he won the nomination going away because he was always the best candidate and was always the candidate who was most in synch with the actual Democratic base, which is not progressives on Twitter. Then he beat Trump easily in the general election. He's still the only person to beat Trump (other than in individual state primaries or caucuses).

I'm not stating a position here on whether Biden should stay in the race or not. I'm just pointing out that, from his perspective and the perspective of his closest advisors, this is surely part of the analysis.

The contrast between Democrats wetting the bed over a bad debate performance and Republicans not even blinking when their guy foments an insurrection, refuses to concede the election, and gets convicted of 34 felony counts-- and rambles incoherently and lies throughout the same debate that Biden tanked-- is striking.
    While I agree it is striking, we are not in a cult of personality.  The politics of this country have shifted over the past 20 years where the professional class has migrated to the D side of the ledger, and we value competency, intelligence, and stability.  So while the R base may be happy to embrace the most radical and ugly underbelly of our nation, I can say that isn't the model for our party.  There are deal breakers for my support of Biden.  I don't mean to say that I won't vote for him or stay home instead, I'm not a fool.  But while we are in a period where we can make a change, I think we should. 

And the difference between 2020 and today is the reason people wrote him off.  It wasn't about Joe being too old in 2020.  Hell, Bernie is just as old.  People thought the party was to the left of Biden and he didn't bring enough change.  He showed himself to be energetic and sharp in the primaries and debates.  That's not the case today.  What we learned is that the voting block of the D party was truly center-left.  That's why he won.  But that's not the challenge that Biden is facing today.  
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    "Bad debate performance" is misinformation. He didn't say anything controversial or lose key points to the other candidate or whatever. He displayed dementia or something similar for a sustained period on national television.
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,460
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    ok, who does biden need to win?

african americans, and women.

you people are crazy to think for one second that african americans and women will just overlook biden replacing harris with another white man. it isn't going to happen. biden and harris is the ticket. harris has been the vp for 4 years already, which makes her more qualified than anybody else right now.

also, why the fuck are people not calling for trump to drop out? you know, convicted felon, wholly unfit for office, russian asset, anti american, etc, etc. 
    The soft racism of assumptions about black voters

how recent was that poll? sanders is not even in the conversation the last 3 years. nor is warren.
    That's from the 2020 Dem. primary cycle 
    so can we speculate that this does not hold true in 2024? you know, since harris was on the ticket that was elected and is currently in office?

it can be implied that some african american and women voters may sit out out of spite if she is replaced. can't risk that happening at this point.
    You said "you people are crazy to think for one second that african americans and women will just overlook biden replacing harris with another white man" when black voters preferred a "white man" first and second last time there was a primary option. Unless you have something that shows otherwise, you're just making things up.
    you think they would accept harris being replaced by a white man? i seriously doubt some of them will, but you we are both entitled to our opinions.

i think it would be a stupid move, but typical of elected democrats. most of them are scared of their own shadow and do not have the guts for what this moment requires.
    I honestly have no idea. If you were certain they would though couldn't you just go to Klobuchar, Jefferies, Booker, whomever? No one says it has to be a white guy.
    everyone on here was calling for gavin. he's a white dude. nobody calling for any of the others you listed. about the same number calling for sanders and warren. none.
    I'd like to see Gavin
    I as well.  I do think he would win if Biden would step away.  I think 75% of the people want something else, someone else, no matter who it is…..
    Here's the problem.  If I am Newsome, I probably don't put my hat in the ring unless I inherit the entire Biden-Harris campaign apparatus.  Think about it, a modern campaign needs months to set up field offices, fundraising, grass root efforts, etc.  If he enters the campaign in August at the convention, he will be way behind Trump in organization.  And if he loses, that's it. He's done.  It would be very unusual for someone to lose a national election and run again.  Only Trump and Nixon have done it that I can think of.  

By contrast, Harris would inherit the Biden-Harris campaign cash and the ground troops.  She would have a huge advantage over Newsome in that respect.  
    I was brainstorming a situation where Harris steps out to run for CA Gov, Newsome gets added as VP, then Biden steps down and Newsome is the guy. Then add Buttigieg as VP.

That's probably not going to happen. It's like one of those puzzles where you move squares around to make a picture.
    This is interesting….its like the dems perfect dream.  

We aren’t going to do anything about this.  They (Washington) won’t do anything.  Are we going to see the fall of the United States?  Since trump lost there’s been a “watcher” at where I vote.  It’s disturbing.  Will there come a day when we are forced to vote for trump? You’re all younger, still have obligations so it’s a lot to think about.  Because I know violence isn’t allowed I’ll just say that if that time comes I’m not going down without a fight or I’ll leave.  The option to stay ins’t negotiable.  
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,460
    BF25394 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this.  It’s like evil vs good and the bad guys have no morals.  Mind boggling.  It’s time to play dirty.  Do the dems even know how?  I read it somewhere on here Biden should declare himself king and hand the crown over. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,071
    Biden
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:
    Let’s be honest. At 81 years old, in his current condition, Biden believes he is the best person to run the country. Narcissism and politics go hand in hand, including those who participate in the day to day back and forth. Psychology has known this for years. Our system is nothing more than a two-party duopoly at best, far from a true democracy. These guys are better suited to be Walmart door greeters, yet one of them will be running the country…again. I for one hope the political shit show that has been the last 8 years paves a path for Independent candidates to participate on an even playing field. For me, that is the first step in achieving a true democracy. Until then, I guess one of these two groups will be the only ones truly excited about the outcome. Sad.
    Biden’s pretty much at the center. 
    Then his attempt to appeal to those you say he most closely aligns with could not have been a bigger failure. Staunch democrats are the only reason his approval rating has a pulse, and this has nothing to do with the great democrat awakening that’s taken place over the last few days.

I don't believe most of us who support Biden are big fans.  We support Biden because... you know the rest.
    Wouldn’t it be nice to have more than two legitimate options? Feeling forced into a decision with so much at stake doesn’t feel very democratic to me. 
    FiveBelow said:
    Let’s be honest. At 81 years old, in his current condition, Biden believes he is the best person to run the country. Narcissism and politics go hand in hand, including those who participate in the day to day back and forth. Psychology has known this for years. Our system is nothing more than a two-party duopoly at best, far from a true democracy. These guys are better suited to be Walmart door greeters, yet one of them will be running the country…again. I for one hope the political shit show that has been the last 8 years paves a path for Independent candidates to participate on an even playing field. For me, that is the first step in achieving a true democracy. Until then, I guess one of these two groups will be the only ones truly excited about the outcome. Sad.
    it's not just politicians. most people believe they can still do what they used to do when they were younger. This type of thing isn't unique to politics. 
    I’m talking about the correlation between politics and narcissism. Believing you’re the best option to run the country vs believing you could still lace up the old sneakers and get in the game are completely different, imo.

"Wouldn’t it be nice to have more than two legitimate options? Feeling forced into a decision with so much at stake doesn’t feel very democratic to me. "

100%, Five!  I've talked here before about supporting the idea of having strong alternate parties to the simple two-party system, but it did not fly well at all!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Biden
    This could get interesting.  Gifted article (see link for full article)

Biden Told Ally That He Is Weighing Whether to Continue in the Race

The president’s conversation is the first indication that he is seriously considering whether he can recover after a devastating performance on the debate stage in Atlanta. A White House official said the claim was false.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    brianlux said:

The president’s conversation is the first indication that he is seriously considering whether he can recover after a devastating performance on the debate stage in Atlanta. A White House official said the claim was false.

With allies like that.....!
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out

• Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

Not sure what you mean.

• Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:

CNN had a similarly distressing (for Biden, not for me) poll today.  I think the momentum will start building and key allies will start pressuring him to pull back.  LBJ did the same thing in 68, albeit much earlier.  RFK would have won that election in a landslide.  I'm not sure how much history was changed when JFK was killed, but I believe the murder of RFK really changed our path, for the worse.  
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

Not sure what you mean.
    He told someone this presumably in confidence and they ran to the NYT
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    "Bad debate performance" is misinformation. He didn't say anything controversial or lose key points to the other candidate or whatever. He displayed dementia or something similar for a sustained period on national television.
    Well, of course I defer to Dr. pjl44's diagnosis.
  • Options
    Biden
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:
    Then his attempt to appeal to those you say he most closely aligns with could not have been a bigger failure. Staunch democrats are the only reason his approval rating has a pulse, and this has nothing to do with the great democrat awakening that’s taken place over the last few days.

I don't believe most of us who support Biden are big fans.  We support Biden because... you know the rest.
    Wouldn’t it be nice to have more than two legitimate options? Feeling forced into a decision with so much at stake doesn’t feel very democratic to me. 
    FiveBelow said:
    it's not just politicians. most people believe they can still do what they used to do when they were younger. This type of thing isn't unique to politics. 
    I’m talking about the correlation between politics and narcissism. Believing you’re the best option to run the country vs believing you could still lace up the old sneakers and get in the game are completely different, imo.

"Wouldn’t it be nice to have more than two legitimate options? Feeling forced into a decision with so much at stake doesn’t feel very democratic to me. "

100%, Five!  I've talked here before about supporting the idea of having strong alternate parties to the simple two-party system, but it did not fly well at all!

You want to work to create viable parties as alternatives to the Democrats and Republicans? Knock yourself out. But there are only two candidates that can win the presidency in 2024, the one with the R next to their name and the one with the D next to their name. So work for change to the system, sure, but, in the meantime, a vote for anyone other than the D or the R is effectively a vote for the candidate among the D and R that you least prefer.

And for those who think the D and R candidates are both bad choices, by definition, one of them must be "least worst." Vote for that person.
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Well, of course I defer to Dr. pjl44's diagnosis.
    I may not know how to code it but it's not as ridiculous as still trying to euphemize it 
  • Options
    Biden
    BF25394 said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:

FiveBelow said:

You want to work to create viable parties as alternatives to the Democrats and Republicans? Knock yourself out. But there are only two candidates that can win the presidency in 2024, the one with the R next to their name and the one with the D next to their name. So work for change to the system, sure, but, in the meantime, a vote for anyone other than the D or the R is effectively a vote for the candidate among the D and R that you least prefer.

And for those who think the D and R candidates are both bad choices, by definition, one of them must be "least worst." Vote for that person.
    The third party is a pipe dream, it will never happen considering you need 538 EVs.  If we had a viable third party, every presidential election would land in the House.  We would become a parliamentary system.  
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,577
    OnWis97 said:
    It's all a disaster. Everything being said about Biden is true.  He's old, he's tired, and just because he can sometimes come across well, doesn't mean the debate performance isn't just as likely to come out at any given time. The "3AM emergency scenario," for example. He's flat out not fit to be president.  Trump is nearly as old but not as close to senile. In terms of physical and mental abilities, he's more fit. However, in terms of his complete disregard for the people he's supposed to be serving, his narcissism, his likely devotion to the leader of another country, his (realistic) desire to be a dictator, and the potential of his actions to destroy the republic, I cannot vote for him. The question is can I vote for Biden? Honestly, if I was certain the country I know and love could come out of this intact four years from now, I'd vote third. But I'm not. So here's my rationale: I'm voting for an administration.

Remember, we love that America doesn't have a dictator (for now). Joe won't be one and he'll be surrounded by far better people than Trump is.
    That's the kicker. I'm surprised by polling that still shows Biden doing better against tRump than Harris or Newsome.

That's where I'm at too(Biden will have better/good people to work with as apposed to Trump who will have a bunch of Lackey's and Kiss asses).
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,079
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Certainly for Newsome, it's a recognition issue.  There was a recent poll but Reuters just released that only has Michelle Obama beating Trump.  And she thumps him 50-39.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4753294-michelle-obama-donald-trump-joe-biden-democrat-2024-hypothetical-matchup-survey/
    Honestly - if the Dems want to be sure to win this election you need Biden to drop out and Michelle to take his place at the top of the ticket.  You can keep Harris if you feel you need to in order to keep the campaign structure and $.  A Michelle/Kamala ticket would be quite interesting and I'd be very interested to know of it works or she needs to add more diversity to her ticket. 

But I do not believe that will happen.  So it's diminished Joe vs insane Donald.  What an election.
    She messed up school lunches forever!
  • Options
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Nothing says freedom like a 10 year old with 8 hour access to Mountain Dew.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,079
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Nothing says freedom like a 10 year old with 8 hour access to Mountain Dew.  
    I remember one year in high school coke was promoting a new drink. So they brought in a new vending machine with just that drink and it was only 10 cents. We were drinking like 3 or 4 a day. Can’t remember what the drink was because it never took off and after a month or two they took the machine out. But it was awesome while it lasted.