Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,846
    Biden
    It's all a disaster. Everything being said about Biden is true.  He's old, he's tired, and just because he can sometimes come across well, doesn't mean the debate performance isn't just as likely to come out at any given time. The "3AM emergency scenario," for example. He's flat out not fit to be president.  Trump is nearly as old but not as close to senile. In terms of physical and mental abilities, he's more fit. However, in terms of his complete disregard for the people he's supposed to be serving, his narcissism, his likely devotion to the leader of another country, his (realistic) desire to be a dictator, and the potential of his actions to destroy the republic, I cannot vote for him. The question is can I vote for Biden? Honestly, if I was certain the country I know and love could come out of this intact four years from now, I'd vote third. But I'm not. So here's my rationale: I'm voting for an administration.

Remember, we love that America doesn't have a dictator (for now). Joe won't be one and he'll be surrounded by far better people than Trump is.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    ok, who does biden need to win?

african americans, and women.

you people are crazy to think for one second that african americans and women will just overlook biden replacing harris with another white man. it isn't going to happen. biden and harris is the ticket. harris has been the vp for 4 years already, which makes her more qualified than anybody else right now.

also, why the fuck are people not calling for trump to drop out? you know, convicted felon, wholly unfit for office, russian asset, anti american, etc, etc. 
    The soft racism of assumptions about black voters

how recent was that poll? sanders is not even in the conversation the last 3 years. nor is warren.
    That's from the 2020 Dem. primary cycle 
    so can we speculate that this does not hold true in 2024? you know, since harris was on the ticket that was elected and is currently in office?

it can be implied that some african american and women voters may sit out out of spite if she is replaced. can't risk that happening at this point.
    You said "you people are crazy to think for one second that african americans and women will just overlook biden replacing harris with another white man" when black voters preferred a "white man" first and second last time there was a primary option. Unless you have something that shows otherwise, you're just making things up.
    you think they would accept harris being replaced by a white man? i seriously doubt some of them will, but you we are both entitled to our opinions.

i think it would be a stupid move, but typical of elected democrats. most of them are scared of their own shadow and do not have the guts for what this moment requires.
    I honestly have no idea. If you were certain they would though couldn't you just go to Klobuchar, Jefferies, Booker, whomever? No one says it has to be a white guy.
    everyone on here was calling for gavin. he's a white dude. nobody calling for any of the others you listed. about the same number calling for sanders and warren. none.
    I'd like to see Gavin
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,198
    Biden
    OnWis97 said:
    It's all a disaster. Everything being said about Biden is true.  He's old, he's tired, and just because he can sometimes come across well, doesn't mean the debate performance isn't just as likely to come out at any given time. The "3AM emergency scenario," for example. He's flat out not fit to be president.  Trump is nearly as old but not as close to senile. In terms of physical and mental abilities, he's more fit. However, in terms of his complete disregard for the people he's supposed to be serving, his narcissism, his likely devotion to the leader of another country, his (realistic) desire to be a dictator, and the potential of his actions to destroy the republic, I cannot vote for him. The question is can I vote for Biden? Honestly, if I was certain the country I know and love could come out of this intact four years from now, I'd vote third. But I'm not. So here's my rationale: I'm voting for an administration.

Remember, we love that America doesn't have a dictator (for now). Joe won't be one and he'll be surrounded by far better people than Trump is.
    Good post.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,168
    Biden
    Just because trump doesn't stare into space for 10 seconds doesn't make him more mentally fit. one could argue a stupid narcissist in the white house is worse than someone who isn't always mentally sharp. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,045
    Biden
    Just because trump doesn't stare into space for 10 seconds doesn't make him more mentally fit. one could argue a stupid narcissist in the white house is worse than someone who isn't always mentally sharp. 

Exactly.  
    The choice sucks, it sucks that I will vote for someone who is too old for the job, but I believe voting for Biden is an absolute "must do".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,548
    Biden
    This is all I have to say about Trump being anywhere near a snowball's chance of being mentally fit.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,547
    edited July 2
    Biden
    I know a lot of you claim to not believe or care about the polling....but it's a fucking disaster at the moment. 

And it wasn't very good a week ago. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,357
    Biden
    This is all I have to say about Trump being anywhere near a snowball's chance of being mentally fit.

If only he and his followers had just drank the bleach we'd all be better off...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,548
    Biden
    tbergs said:

If only he and his followers had just drank the bleach we'd all be better off...
    They can all drink up on their Invincibility Juice.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,222
    edited July 2
    I'm sitting this one out
    Let’s be honest. At 81 years old, in his current condition, Biden believes he is the best person to run the country. Narcissism and politics go hand in hand, including those who participate in the day to day back and forth. Psychology has known this for years. Our system is nothing more than a two-party duopoly at best, far from a true democracy. These guys are better suited to be Walmart door greeters, yet one of them will be running the country…again. I for one hope the political shit show that has been the last 8 years paves a path for Independent candidates to participate on an even playing field. For me, that is the first step in achieving a true democracy. Until then, I guess one of these two groups will be the only ones truly excited about the outcome. Sad.
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,451
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

you people are crazy to think for one second that african americans and women will just overlook biden replacing harris with another white man. it isn't going to happen. biden and harris is the ticket. harris has been the vp for 4 years already, which makes her more qualified than anybody else right now.

also, why the fuck are people not calling for trump to drop out? you know, convicted felon, wholly unfit for office, russian asset, anti american, etc, etc. 

how recent was that poll? sanders is not even in the conversation the last 3 years. nor is warren.
    so can we speculate that this does not hold true in 2024? you know, since harris was on the ticket that was elected and is currently in office?

it can be implied that some african american and women voters may sit out out of spite if she is replaced. can't risk that happening at this point.
    You said "you people are crazy to think for one second that african americans and women will just overlook biden replacing harris with another white man" when black voters preferred a "white man" first and second last time there was a primary option. Unless you have something that shows otherwise, you're just making things up.
    you think they would accept harris being replaced by a white man? i seriously doubt some of them will, but you we are both entitled to our opinions.

i think it would be a stupid move, but typical of elected democrats. most of them are scared of their own shadow and do not have the guts for what this moment requires.
    I honestly have no idea. If you were certain they would though couldn't you just go to Klobuchar, Jefferies, Booker, whomever? No one says it has to be a white guy.
    everyone on here was calling for gavin. he's a white dude. nobody calling for any of the others you listed. about the same number calling for sanders and warren. none.
    I'd like to see Gavin
    I as well.  I do think he would win if Biden would step away.  I think 75% of the people want something else, someone else, no matter who it is…..
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,487
    Even if you showed me Biden’s brain in a jar I’d still vote blue 🖕🏽the Republicans 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,315
    Biden
    Even if you showed me Biden’s brain in a jar I’d still vote blue 🖕🏽the Republicans 
    in missouri in 2000 we voted for dead democrat mel carnahan over alive future ag john ashcroft for governor.

that was before we became a red hellscape not too long after that.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,272
    Trump
    Seems like Biden's toast to me... 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,747
    FiveBelow said:
    Let’s be honest. At 81 years old, in his current condition, Biden believes he is the best person to run the country. Narcissism and politics go hand in hand, including those who participate in the day to day back and forth. Psychology has known this for years. Our system is nothing more than a two-party duopoly at best, far from a true democracy. These guys are better suited to be Walmart door greeters, yet one of them will be running the country…again. I for one hope the political shit show that has been the last 8 years paves a path for Independent candidates to participate on an even playing field. For me, that is the first step in achieving a true democracy. Until then, I guess one of these two groups will be the only ones truly excited about the outcome. Sad.
    Biden’s pretty much at the center. 
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    FiveBelow said:
    Then his attempt to appeal to those you say he most closely aligns with could not have been a bigger failure. Staunch democrats are the only reason his approval rating has a pulse, and this has nothing to do with the great democrat awakening that’s taken place over the last few days.
  • Options
    Biden
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:
    Then his attempt to appeal to those you say he most closely aligns with could not have been a bigger failure. Staunch democrats are the only reason his approval rating has a pulse, and this has nothing to do with the great democrat awakening that’s taken place over the last few days.

I don't believe most of us who support Biden are big fans.  We support Biden because... you know the rest.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,168
    Biden
    FiveBelow said:
    it's not just politicians. most people believe they can still do what they used to do when they were younger. This type of thing isn't unique to politics. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Biden
    FiveBelow said:
    it's not just politicians. most people believe they can still do what they used to do when they were younger. This type of thing isn't unique to politics. 

No this guy.  I could write a song about that...

I can't drink used to when I was young,
    I can't smoke like I did when I had bigger lungs.
    I can't party like the old days
    Or keep up with my old ways,
    I'm just a speck of what I once was, son.

• Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I'd like to see Gavin
    I as well.  I do think he would win if Biden would step away.  I think 75% of the people want something else, someone else, no matter who it is…..
    Here's the problem.  If I am Newsome, I probably don't put my hat in the ring unless I inherit the entire Biden-Harris campaign apparatus.  Think about it, a modern campaign needs months to set up field offices, fundraising, grass root efforts, etc.  If he enters the campaign in August at the convention, he will be way behind Trump in organization.  And if he loses, that's it. He's done.  It would be very unusual for someone to lose a national election and run again.  Only Trump and Nixon have done it that I can think of.  

By contrast, Harris would inherit the Biden-Harris campaign cash and the ground troops.  She would have a huge advantage over Newsome in that respect.  
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I'd like to see Gavin
    Here's the problem.  If I am Newsome, I probably don't put my hat in the ring unless I inherit the entire Biden-Harris campaign apparatus.  Think about it, a modern campaign needs months to set up field offices, fundraising, grass root efforts, etc.  If he enters the campaign in August at the convention, he will be way behind Trump in organization.  And if he loses, that's it. He's done.  It would be very unusual for someone to lose a national election and run again.  Only Trump and Nixon have done it that I can think of.  

By contrast, Harris would inherit the Biden-Harris campaign cash and the ground troops.  She would have a huge advantage over Newsome in that respect.  

Good points all around.  Also, Newsom has made it pretty clear he's not going to run (this time!):

WASHINGTON — California Governor Gavin Newsom was in the spin room in Atlanta for the presidential debate on Thursday in support of President Joe Biden.

Mr. Biden's debate performance has set off alarm bells among top Democrats, leaving some to openly question whether Biden can stay atop the Democratic ticket.

During the early minutes of the debate, Mr. Biden struggled to name Medicare when he was asked about the tax rate for wealthy Americans.   

"I've never seen a freakout like this," one House Democrat familiar with conversations among lawmakers said Thursday night, CBS News reported.

CNN senior political commentator David Axelrod also gave voice to a conversation happening among many Democrats on Thursday night: "There are going to be discussions about whether he should continue."

No serious Democratic challengers have stepped up to run against Mr. Biden, and at this point in the campaign, Mr. Biden would have to decide to step aside if Democrats were to pick another nominee. If Mr. Biden did withdraw, the Democratic nomination would be decided on the floor.

One person who has frequently been asked if he is headed toward an eventual presidential run, either now or in 2028, is Gov. Newsom.

After the debate, Gov. Newsom dismissed calls for Mr. Biden to be removed from the Democratic ticket.

"I will never turn my back on President Biden. Never turn my back on President Biden, I don't know a Democrat in my party that would do so," he said when asked about a rumbling of Democrats possibly open to replacing Biden as the party's nominee.

• Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:

I don't believe most of us who support Biden are big fans.  We support Biden because... you know the rest.
    Wouldn’t it be nice to have more than two legitimate options? Feeling forced into a decision with so much at stake doesn’t feel very democratic to me. 
    FiveBelow said:
    I’m talking about the correlation between politics and narcissism. Believing you’re the best option to run the country vs believing you could still lace up the old sneakers and get in the game are completely different, imo.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,199
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I'd like to see Gavin

I was brainstorming a situation where Harris steps out to run for CA Gov, Newsome gets added as VP, then Biden steps down and Newsome is the guy. Then add Buttigieg as VP.

That's probably not going to happen. It's like one of those puzzles where you move squares around to make a picture.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,199
    Biden
    OnWis97 said:

That's the kicker. I'm surprised by polling that still shows Biden doing better against tRump than Harris or Newsome.

I'm not sure I believe that but it's interesting.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,434
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I'd like to see Gavin

Grover Cleveland.Ran 3 times  Won first election (pop vote and college) lost second election(won pop lost college) won third election(pop vote and college)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Biden
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I'd like to see Gavin

Grover Cleveland.Ran 3 times  Won first election (pop vote and college) lost second election(won pop lost college) won third election(pop vote and college)
    Good call.  I was relying on my memory and the Gilded Age presidents were always a drag...  

But as I dig deeper into my memory, I should have recalled Andrew Jackson.  He lost in 1824 in the election known as the "Corrupt Bargain" before winning in 1828 and 32.  But times were different before primaries, and the entire selection process took place in the conventions.  So I am really, REALLY hoping we have a contested convention.  That would be fantastic to watch.  
  • Options
    Biden
    OnWis97 said:

That's the kicker. I'm surprised by polling that still shows Biden doing better against tRump than Harris or Newsome.

Certainly for Newsome, it's a recognition issue.  There was a recent poll but Reuters just released that only has Michelle Obama beating Trump.  And she thumps him 50-39.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4753294-michelle-obama-donald-trump-joe-biden-democrat-2024-hypothetical-matchup-survey/
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,601
    Biden
    OnWis97 said:

This has always been an important point for me.
    Who exactly is whispering in the president's ear and helping to make/write policy.
    Every single person whispering to tfg is a grifter and cares nothing about America or Americans.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,198
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Certainly for Newsome, it's a recognition issue.  There was a recent poll but Reuters just released that only has Michelle Obama beating Trump.  And she thumps him 50-39.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4753294-michelle-obama-donald-trump-joe-biden-democrat-2024-hypothetical-matchup-survey/
    Honestly - if the Dems want to be sure to win this election you need Biden to drop out and Michelle to take his place at the top of the ticket.  You can keep Harris if you feel you need to in order to keep the campaign structure and $.  A Michelle/Kamala ticket would be quite interesting and I'd be very interested to know of it works or she needs to add more diversity to her ticket. 

But I do not believe that will happen.  So it's diminished Joe vs insane Donald.  What an election.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Honestly - if the Dems want to be sure to win this election you need Biden to drop out and Michelle to take his place at the top of the ticket.  You can keep Harris if you feel you need to in order to keep the campaign structure and $.  A Michelle/Kamala ticket would be quite interesting and I'd be very interested to know of it works or she needs to add more diversity to her ticket. 

But I do not believe that will happen.  So it's diminished Joe vs insane Donald.  What an election.
    I don't think she has the slightest interest in being president.  I do agree she would smoke him though.