Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,146
    Biden
    the important voters will never see those attack ads. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,001
    edited June 29
    Biden
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's more like it.  Besides, the choice is obvious.  I'll take an old man who tells the truth over a pathological liar any day.  We should have had a better candidate on both parties, but this is what we have and the choice is an easy one... if you prefer democracy and freedom over tyranny and authoritarian rule, anyway.

That video makes me wanna blame his handlers even more. He has the ability to speak publicly, forcefully, and clearly.

Yet his team let him walk right into the lions den, inflict damage to the Democrats like no one else can because they overloaded him with nonsensical facts. He may never again get an audience large enough to undo that damage.

We don’t need Biden in a debate to tell us that Trump is a convicted rapist that Trump is a convicted felon 34 times and a liar and on and on… That stuff is nonsense when it comes to a debate. The whole democratic hierarchy has been polluted by the New York Times by MSNBC and the stuff we see here every day on ATM. You can tell Biden was overloaded with too many words, often left to muttering, right into the most viable attack against himself.

When it comes to a debate, all that stuff is nonsense. Independent voters know this stuff. Maybe mention it once and move on. It’s not that difficult to talk in a debate for 40 minutes in one and two minute increments. Yet they overloaded him. Yes he is old but they overloaded him with too much data, and he was completely unprepared for that debate

and we’re looking at very possibly  Another Trump, presidency.

An interesting take, L.  I have been baffled by Biden's poor performance in the debate fiasco.  I hadn't considered bad coaching. 

At this point, what makes sense to me is to keep the support for Biden strong.  I even went as far as to send what for me is a sizable donation to the Biden campaign yesterday.  I have to be honest and say that is not how I like to spend my tithing money.  I am way more inclined to give money to carefully selected environmental organizations such as Wildlands Network and the Paul Watson Foundation, as well as social activist organizations like the Southern Poverty Law Center.  Sending money to politicians goes against my grain.  But I feel a strong sense of obligation to support whatever it takes to keep democracy alive and beat Trump.

And I want to say to our few Trump supporters here that those of us who are supporting Biden are doing you a huge favor.  We are fighting to save your freedom, as well as ours.  I'm not going to try to convince you that Biden is the greatest president we've ever had.  He's not.  But he's the candidate who will continue to preserve democracy rather than turn this country into one under authoritarian rule that would have nothing to do with benefiting you.  Authoritarian rulers don't care about you.  They only care about their own massive ego and keeping you pinned down with false beliefs and false hopes.  I hope one or two of you will consider what is really in your best interest instead of supporting someone who doesn't care one iota about you.  That's all I have to say about that.

They had three options - debate close to the election like usual, debate in an unusually early time of year and hope the media moves on from a poor performance, or don't debate. They bet that the chosen option was the right one. I think they'll wait 1-2 weeks to see how the polls react before they decide whether this is recoverable. My suspicion is that as much of a disaster as it was, it can be forgotten if Biden continues with a few more excellent performances where he looks energized and sounds clear and cogent. 
    That's my best guess as well, Ben.
    mace1229 said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's more like it.  Besides, the choice is obvious.  I'll take an old man who tells the truth over a pathological liar any day.  We should have had a better candidate on both parties, but this is what we have and the choice is an easy one... if you prefer democracy and freedom over tyranny and authoritarian rule, anyway.

That video makes me wanna blame his handlers even more. He has the ability to speak publicly, forcefully, and clearly.

Yet his team let him walk right into the lions den, inflict damage to the Democrats like no one else can because they overloaded him with nonsensical facts. He may never again get an audience large enough to undo that damage.

We don’t need Biden in a debate to tell us that Trump is a convicted rapist that Trump is a convicted felon 34 times and a liar and on and on… That stuff is nonsense when it comes to a debate. The whole democratic hierarchy has been polluted by the New York Times by MSNBC and the stuff we see here every day on ATM. You can tell Biden was overloaded with too many words, often left to muttering, right into the most viable attack against himself.

When it comes to a debate, all that stuff is nonsense. Independent voters know this stuff. Maybe mention it once and move on. It’s not that difficult to talk in a debate for 40 minutes in one and two minute increments. Yet they overloaded him. Yes he is old but they overloaded him with too much data, and he was completely unprepared for that debate

and we’re looking at very possibly  Another Trump, presidency.

An interesting take, L.  I have been baffled by Biden's poor performance in the debate fiasco.  I hadn't considered bad coaching. 

At this point, what makes sense to me is to keep the support for Biden strong.  I even went as far as to send what for me is a sizable donation to the Biden campaign yesterday.  I have to be honest and say that is not how I like to spend my tithing money.  I am way more inclined to give money to carefully selected environmental organizations such as Wildlands Network and the Paul Watson Foundation, as well as social activist organizations like the Southern Poverty Law Center.  Sending money to politicians goes against my grain.  But I feel a strong sense of obligation to support whatever it takes to keep democracy alive and beat Trump.

And I want to say to our few Trump supporters here that those of us who are supporting Biden are doing you a huge favor.  We are fighting to save your freedom, as well as ours.  I'm not going to try to convince you that Biden is the greatest president we've ever had.  He's not.  But he's the candidate who will continue to preserve democracy rather than turn this country into one under authoritarian rule that would have nothing to do with benefiting you.  Authoritarian rulers don't care about you.  They only care about their own massive ego and keeping you pinned down with false beliefs and false hopes.  I hope one or two of you will consider what is really in your best interest instead of supporting someone who doesn't care one iota about you.  That's all I have to say about that.

They had three options - debate close to the election like usual, debate in an unusually early time of year and hope the media moves on from a poor performance, or don't debate. They bet that the chosen option was the right one. I think they'll wait 1-2 weeks to see how the polls react before they decide whether this is recoverable. My suspicion is that as much of a disaster as it was, it can be forgotten if Biden continues with a few more excellent performances where he looks energized and sounds clear and cogent. 
    It will be hard to forget when you know every ad will target his mental capacity and show clips from the debate, or or sound bites  like “we finally killed Medicare.”

It's a bit early to tell.  Obviously, the poor debate performance is on a lot of minds right now.  But remember, America as a whole has a bad case of mass amnesia.  For example, the Baltimore bride collapse was a huge issue a short while ago.  Unless some here live and work in that area, or have been directly affected by it, how many people here have given that even a passing thought in recent weeks?  "Here today, gone tomorrow" is the American mental state.  True, the situation here is a much more broad issue, but I think we'll find that though Biden's debate performance won't go away completely, the dust will settle.  Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but I think that is how it will play out.

Here's something I'd like to point out about cognitive behavior.  I'm almost 73 years old and I am beginning to have difficulty remembering names and specific words.  The word above in bold, "issue", is not the word I'm looking for.  I also occasionally find myself going from one room into the kitchen for something and forgetting what I was going there for.  These short-term incidents are frustrating and inconvenient.  But they have no bearing on who I am and what I believe.  I can tell you this is true for most older adults.  All of my older friends (and several are older than I am), share similar cognitive issues.  That does not make us lesser people when it comes to what we believe and how we make decisions.  It may take us longer to find the right words and it may take us longer to write a well thought out statement like the one I am making here, but such a statement will be made based on a belief system that is backed by years of learning and gained wisdom and understanding, and such a statement will reflect those attributes.  A serious decision is best made with careful consideration, and taking the time to make it right.  And if a situation arises that needs more quick action, I will rely on the help I have around me to move forward.  That's why presidents have staff and advisors.  So if we take all that into consideration, and then look at the choices before us- Biden or Trump- that makes the decision a lot more clear and easy, does it not? 

At the very least, I hope what I'm saying here alleviates some of the worry about cognitive issues.  Biden knows who he is and what he believes in.  He will have well chose staff around him.  And besides, one individual alone should not determine the fate of millions, let alone billions of people.  If Trump is elected, that fate of billions of people will be at stake because Trump will only do what Trump wants.  He will do what he has always done which is to surround himself with paid-off minions and yes-men.  This is an essential and important fact.  That's why we need to stand behind whomever Trump faces.  And I will be very surprised if that is not Biden.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,417
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,069
    Maybe. But I don’t think anyone will forget about his performance. It’s going to be talked about until he drops out or the election. Whichever is first.
    A couple gaffes this was easy enough to where it wouldn’t matter. But it’s bad enough even most on CNN were saying he needs to drop.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,018
    mace1229 said:
    Maybe. But I don’t think anyone will forget about his performance. It’s going to be talked about until he drops out or the election. Whichever is first.
    A couple gaffes this was easy enough to where it wouldn’t matter. But it’s bad enough even most on CNN were saying he needs to drop.
    "I don't think anyone will forget about _____" is something I've heard a number of times about candidates over the last eight years, at least. The mind tends to favour more recent facts that come with high emotionality than something like this, where the disbelief will fade in light of other facts that are thrust in the voters' faces with paid ads that counter the "he's not well" narrative.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,308
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    people have forgotten how terribly trump bungled covid. they will definitely forget about this debate performance.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    the important voters are those of the social media generation. they aren't watching the debates. they are seeing bullshit doctored videos online. this debate will hold no sway with them. very few watching the debates are undecided. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    people have forgotten how terribly trump bungled covid. they will definitely forget about this debate performance.
    The difference is his mental capacity has been a talking point for a year or more. The WH and his supporters denied it. It was on full display at the debate. It’s not like it came out of nowhere and was something new to talk about. It’s been an issue for a while. So I don’t see how it’s going away. And if he wins a second term, he’ll be 86. I don’t think he’s up for 4 more years.
    I wish we had better candidates on both parties. I don’t think I can vote for either.
  • Options
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    The difference is his mental capacity has been a talking point for a year or more. The WH and his supporters denied it. It was on full display at the debate. It’s not like it came out of nowhere and was something new to talk about. It’s been an issue for a while. So I don’t see how it’s going away. And if he wins a second term, he’ll be 86. I don’t think he’s up for 4 more years.
    I wish we had better candidates on both parties. I don’t think I can vote for either.
    and this is how trump might win. his supporters will come out in droves. undecideds will stay home and then bitch about the next 4 years. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

• Options
    Biden

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    and this is how trump might win. his supporters will come out in droves. undecideds will stay home and then bitch about the next 4 years. 
    I’ll be bitching for 4 years either way at this point.
  • Options
    Biden

• Options
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

so no change then

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,187
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I’m going to go out and vote for Biden. And I still expect to be bitching for 4 years as I think I align with Trump policy about 10-15% and Biden about 35% 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,187
    Biden
    mickeyrat said:
    Crazy to think, if the GOP had put up a normal, non-MAGA, pre-MAGA republican …. They would have won the election at that debate 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Biden
    can we all take a step back and make an observation?

fox business model is to generate, stoke and sell fear, no?

there HAS. been a  distinct and marked change in tone on CNN in the past few years, no? Whats been stoked and sold in that time? Thats right, kids. FEAR.

NYT? Lets overlook the scumbag they're well versed in.....

WAPO isnt far off of that either.

sure be good to see a bit more critical thinking rather than emotional handwringing, which is my take from here.....

Biden is owning his poor performance and still has an equitable vision for the avrage citizen.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,841
    Biden
    mickeyrat said:

there HAS. been a  distinct and marked change in tone on CNN in the past few years, no? Whats been stoked and sold in that time? Thats right, kids. FEAR.

sure be good to see a bit more critical thinking rather than emotional handwringing, which is my take from here.....

Biden is owning his poor performance and still has an equitable vision for the avrage citizen.
    Right, but what if he has another as bad, or worse?  The second debate is after the convention, so it will be too late.  Are you betting this is an aberration or the norm?  I fear it's the norm. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

so no change then
    I haven’t bitched a whole lot specifically about Biden. I’m sure I’ve said a few things over the last 3 1/2 years about him, but most of my bitching is disagreeing with what others say, but not directly about the president.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

I’ll have to say I agree. I’ve thought the same thing for a long time, but don’t think I’ve said anything to avoid the “both sides” comments.
    Yes, fox sells fear. They will have you think China is going to over take this country if Biden wins.
    But I hear things like democracy will end and he’ll never leave the office. He’ll be what, 85 when the next term ends? How long do people think he can serve?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,308
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I’ll have to say I agree. I’ve thought the same thing for a long time, but don’t think I’ve said anything to avoid the “both sides” comments.
    Yes, fox sells fear. They will have you think China is going to over take this country if Biden wins.
    But I hear things like democracy will end and he’ll never leave the office. He’ll be what, 85 when the next term ends? How long do people think he can serve?
    dude, he tried to not leave office the first time. he now says he is entitled to 2 more terms. do the math. he also has said publicly that he has the right to go on a revenge tour against those that do not agree with him. fucker will not accept the election results if he loses, and he will not leave if he wins this time and loses next. he was surrounded by some people that tried to alter the outcome in 2020. the fake elector scheme. he will be surrounded with sycophants this time, and nobody will try to stop him. we can't take that chance. wake up.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,001
    Biden
    An email I got from the Biden team today contains some good suggestions.  "The "bedwetting brigade" cracked me up. :lol:      ...but made the point clear that Biden is the Dem candidate. 

If you're like me, you're getting lots of texts or calls from folks about the state of the race after Thursday. Maybe it was your panicked aunt, your MAGA uncle, or some self-important Podcasters. It's a tough position to be in, so I thought it might be helpful to send you a few responses.

1. Yes, the debate started rough, but voters saw what a threat Donald Trump is to the country. It was more than just lying -- though he did plenty of that. Trump:

• Defended the end of Roe v. Wade, saying "it's been a great thing."
      • Said that the pro-Trump Nazi march in Charlottesville was "made up."
      • Said on January 6th that "we were respected all over the world."
      • Defended his 34 felony convictions, saying the system was "rigged" and he did nothing wrong.
    2. Actual voters perceived this debate very differently than those who pay attention to politics a lot (like everyone who is getting this email and everyone who goes on cable news).
      Breaking news: People think Joe Biden's old. They did coming into the debate, they do coming out of the debate. At the same time, though, a lot of people have rose-colored glasses about the Trump years. The most important thing about the debate was always going to be that people were reminded of what they hate about Donald Trump: that he's unhinged, out for revenge, and in it for himself. And they were reminded, in a powerful way.

Flash polls from CNN, 538, SurveyUSA, Morning Consult, and Data for Progress show what we expected: the debate did not change the horserace. In fact, following the debate, our internal dials showed President Biden led Trump on key measures of being presidential, speaking to the issues that matter, and being likable by more than 20 points.
    3. That's because the long-term impact of debates is overstated anyway.
      Let us all remember that Barack Obama lost the first debate in 2012 (and the media panicked too!). Bush lost in 2004. Ronald Reagan lost the first debate in 1984. They, as you'll recall, won their elections. And those debates were in October, not June!
    4. 90 minutes does not negate 3 ½ years of results.
      Joe Biden is extremely good at being president. Let's not forget that the guy up on stage:

• Expanded health care to millions of families
      • Lowered the price of insulin to $35 for seniors
      • Created more jobs than any president in history
      • Vaccinated the country and reopened our schools
      • Took the largest climate action in the history of the world
      • Canceled student loans for nearly 5 million people
      • Rallied the world in support of Ukraine, and expanded NATO while doing it
      • Passed the largest national funding for passenger rail since the founding of Amtrak
      • Banned chokeholds and no-knock entries by federal law enforcement, and restricted the transfer of military equipment to police departments
      • Passed the largest investment in bridges and roads in our history
      • Pardoned thousands of Americans federally convicted of marijuana possession
      • Expanded benefits to veterans who have been exposed to toxic chemicals
      • Officially protected same-sex marriage federally
      • Passed the first gun violence prevention bill in 30 years
      • Saved the pensions of more than 1 million union workers
      • Averted a banking crisis (remember that?)
      • Expanded paid overtime to working families
      • Made birth control pills available over the counter
      • Made renewable energy the #2 source of electricity in America
      • Moved to reschedule marijuana
      • Shifted the microchip supply chain back to the United States
      • Put the first Black woman on the Supreme Court
      • And that's really all I have time to list out here!
    5. The day after the debate, Joe Biden gave a fiery, defiant speech, where he tackled concerns about his age head-on.
      I don't know if you were watching, but Joe Biden left the debate stage, spoke at a rally, went to Waffle House, got on a plane, flew to Raleigh, hung out with 200 supporters on the tarmac, went to bed, woke up, gave an amazing speech, got back on a plane, went to New York, visited Stonewall with Elton John, and then spoke at a pride gala for LGBTQ+ supporters.

The speech in Raleigh, by the way, has millions of views online, and you should watch and share it yourself:

Tweet by Joe Biden
    6. The bedwetting brigade is calling for Joe Biden to "drop out." That is the best possible way for Donald Trump to win and us to lose.
      First of all: Joe Biden is going to be the Democratic nominee, period. End of story. Voters voted. He won overwhelmingly. And if he were to drop out, it would lead to weeks of chaos, internal foodfighting, and a bunch of candidates who limp into a brutal floor fight at the convention, all while Donald Trump has time to speak to American voters uncontested. All of that would be in service of a nominee who would go into a general election in the weakest possible position with zero dollars in their bank account. You want a highway to losing? It's that.

And at the end of the day, we'd switch to candidates who would, according to polls, be less likely to win than Joe Biden -- the only person ever to defeat Donald Trump.

Screenshot of Polling Graphic
    7. Joe Biden is the Democratic nominee, period. Rather than worrying about polls, our supporters are getting on board.
      Did you see the awesome clips of our supporters on the tarmac doing the Cupid Shuffle at 2am on the night of the debate? The biggest rally of our campaign yet on Friday? Well, no, probably not, because the media is busy hyperventilating and trying to manifest drama to boost ratings. But this isn't Aaron Sorkin's fever dream. It's Joe Biden's reelection campaign.

While they were spinning out, our grassroots supporters got to work and:
      • Raised us $27 million in two days
      • Signed up for three times as many volunteer shifts as on an average day
      • Attended more than 1,500 events nationwide

We even had three times as many people as usual apply to campaign jobs yesterday. Mercifully, while the beltway pundits are spending their time attacking Joe Biden, our people are more focused than ever.

Smart folks -- folks that care about defeating Donald Trump and winning this election -- have identified that the best way to help right now is by helping, and not by kicking their feet up and telling everyone around them to panic.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited June 30
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

dude, he tried to not leave office the first time. he now says he is entitled to 2 more terms. do the math. he also has said publicly that he has the right to go on a revenge tour against those that do not agree with him. fucker will not accept the election results if he loses, and he will not leave if he wins this time and loses next. he was surrounded by some people that tried to alter the outcome in 2020. the fake elector scheme. he will be surrounded with sycophants this time, and nobody will try to stop him. we can't take that chance. wake up.
    He never admitted defeat in 2020, but still left willingly. No one had to forcibly remove him. Secret service didn’t drag him out. It won’t be different if he wins again. It’ll be 4 years and he’s gone. He won’t change the constitution to add another term, or just refuse to leave when it’s over. And if he loses, he’ll cry foul, take it to court, and lose again.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Right, but what if he has another as bad, or worse?  The second debate is after the convention, so it will be too late.  Are you betting this is an aberration or the norm?  I fear it's the norm. 

what if we never beat england in the revolutionary war?

what if.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,841
    Biden
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

what if.
    Um, that's history.  I'm talking about the future.  The question is whether Biden is still the best person to represent the party on the ticket.  If the answer is no, then Biden owes it to the country and to his legacy to step aside.  I absolutely believed in 2020 that he was the best candidate.  I no longer do. 
  • Options
    edited June 30
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

what if.
    Um, that's history.  I'm talking about the future.  The question is whether Biden is still the best person to represent the party on the ticket.  If the answer is no, then Biden owes it to the country and to his legacy to step aside.  I absolutely believed in 2020 that he was the best candidate.  I no longer do. 

You choose to live in what if. I wont play that stupid game. done it enough in the past. not doing it in the present. vote your conscience

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,018
    edited June 30
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

what if.

You choose to live in what if. I wont play that stupid game. done it enough in the past. not doing it in the present. vote your conscience
    It's not just 'what if'. The first debate performance was disastrous, so it stands to reason that his second could very well be too. If that's the case, it will be a hard sell. Now is the right time to play 'what if' - while there are still two potential options.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1