Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,983
    edited June 28
    Biden
    Don't anyone take the bate. Let fools be fools.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,983
    Biden
    Here's the "takeaway" (since that's the latest buzz word) as I see it, from tonight's debate:  
    In the debate earlier this evening there occurred what I see as a defining moment as to where we are at regarding the highest political level in the U.S.  That moment happened when two old men running for the highest office in our country started to argue about their golfing handicaps.  Right out of my mouth came the words, "Are you shitting me?"  That moment was both embarrassing and disgraceful.

Now, granted, anyone with half a brain (and, amazingly, there apparently are a hell of a lot of people with less than that) will understand why Joe Biden is the better choice of candidates for president of the United States.  He may be old, he may be tired, but he is not a bald-faced liar, he's not a convicted felon, and he still believes in democracy.  But that said, we as a nation are at an extremely low point in our history.  Maybe not the lowest ever, but when we reach a low of this magnitude, it can only mean trouble.  It's unsettling to me to think about how serious the situation is.  It's simply that bad.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,934
    Biden
    ^well said Brian 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,629
    Biden
    It was a fucking disaster.

Biden needs to step down from 2024 before he dooms us all.  
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    I’m still voting for the feeble old man instead of the convicted felon! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,442
    Biden
    brianlux said:
    Here's the "takeaway" (since that's the latest buzz word) as I see it, from tonight's debate:  
    In the debate earlier this evening there occurred what I see as a defining moment as to where we are at regarding the highest political level in the U.S.  That moment happened when two old men running for the highest office in our country started to argue about their golfing handicaps.  Right out of my mouth came the words, "Are you shitting me?"  That moment was both embarrassing and disgraceful.

Now, granted, anyone with half a brain (and, amazingly, there apparently are a hell of a lot of people with less than that) will understand why Joe Biden is the better choice of candidates for president of the United States.  He may be old, he may be tired, but he is not a bald-faced liar, he's not a convicted felon, and he still believes in democracy.  But that said, we as a nation are at an extremely low point in our history.  Maybe not the lowest ever, but when we reach a low of this magnitude, it can only mean trouble.  It's unsettling to me to think about how serious the situation is.  It's simply that bad.

I watched five minutes and had to turn it off.  Biden sounds like an old feeble man.  Is he the smarter of the two?   Yes.  Does he look like he can lead the country?  No.

This is why Kennedy beat Nixon all those years ago.  Perception.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,331
    Biden
    brianlux said:

I watched five minutes and had to turn it off.  Biden sounds like an old feeble man.  Is he the smarter of the two?   Yes.  Does he look like he can lead the country?  No.

Did it look like Trump can lead this country? I mean, I think we can all acknowledge Joe is old, but Trump is a criminally convicted lying moron with no plan for this country. The fact Republicans are taking laps because Trump was Trump is pathetic. No Democrat is taking laps because Biden was Biden and showed his age. It's ridiculous that anyone outside the red hats would celebrate that performance last night. Jesus Christ, what a disaster indeed.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Biden
    I would love to see Buttigieg get an opportunity to debate the orange one.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    Yes! Also Kamala no? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,428
    Biden
    Yes! Also Kamala no? 
    No. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,831
    Biden
    We need a floor vote at the Democratic National Convention with several potential candidates being nominated. I'd take the following, if only because they have integrity and can communicate the policies of a dem administration. Anyone of the below would destroy POOTWH in a debate but he'd run scared and refuse to debate. Not likely to see a floor fight for the nomination either. UGH.

Gina Raimondo
    Gavin Newsome
    Pete Buttigieg
    Kamala Harris
    Josh Shapiro
    I'm surprised you are leaving Gretchen Whitmer off of this list.  I would say it's between Newsome and Whitmer, personally.  I really like Wes Boyd, gov of MD, but he's a little young so maybe not quite his time.  

I think we need to think of this as the gift it is.  We are lucky this debate came so early.  The polls will drop for Biden, as we saw in the post debate poll.  That will ramp up the pressure on Joe to retire, which he probably should.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,117
    Biden
    Isn’t it a tad late in the game to look for a new candidate? And it would make the dems seem desperate 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,164
    edited June 28
    Biden
    It would be late but I guarantee you the dems would rally big time behind Newsome. I cannot imagine how that debate would have gone last night if it would have been Trump/Newsome. 

I was at a concert so I didn't see the debate but I was surprised at how the dems were immediately freaking out.

Biden missed a lot of attack lines. It was fucking Gen Kelly (tRump's fucking chief of staff) that said tRump made the "losers" comment to. That would have been a powerful response to tRump saying Biden made it up...it was tRump's own guy.

In the end Biden didn't give a good performance and tRump lied about fucking everything. Especially about Jan 6th

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,757
    Biden
    Isn’t it a tad late in the game to look for a new candidate? And it would make the dems seem desperate 
    Yes, and appropriately so. Desperation is needed.

I vote for Whitmer for nominee.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Biden
    It used to be the at the conventions were the actual nominating bodies and going into it, you didn't know who the candidate would be.  They were not just celebrations.  It's probably been 60 years since we have had a true floor vote in a convention, so this would be fascinating.  The tough part today is the infrastructure, but if the Biden campaign team generally stayed in place, with the infrastructure, it could be done.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,399
    edited June 28
    Biden
    Biden is on the ballot in every state.
    to switch that now? 5 months before the election and only a couple before state deadlines for ballot inclusion?

not possible. so just stop.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,241
    edited June 28
    mrussel1 said:
    We need a floor vote at the Democratic National Convention with several potential candidates being nominated. I'd take the following, if only because they have integrity and can communicate the policies of a dem administration. Anyone of the below would destroy POOTWH in a debate but he'd run scared and refuse to debate. Not likely to see a floor fight for the nomination either. UGH.

Gina Raimondo
    Gavin Newsome
    Pete Buttigieg
    Kamala Harris
    Josh Shapiro
    I'm surprised you are leaving Gretchen Whitmer off of this list.  I would say it's between Newsome and Whitmer, personally.  I really like Wes Boyd, gov of MD, but he's a little young so maybe not quite his time.  

I think we need to think of this as the gift it is.  We are lucky this debate came so early.  The polls will drop for Biden, as we saw in the post debate poll.  That will ramp up the pressure on Joe to retire, which he probably should.  

The only path for a new candidate would be a serious health issue or Joe decided to retire gracefully. 

Although the below is a fine list, not sure how Harris getting pushed aside wouldn’t be a second major attack by MAGA

Gina Raimondo , no name recognition 

Gavin Newsome, YES

Pete Buttigieg, In Canada maybe but this country is far from ready to elect him

Kamala Harris

Josh Shapiro, excellent politician, but given his ethnicity, and especially in this red green insanity within the Democratic Party, unfortunately not a chance.

edit, forgot Whitmer, but similar to Pete and Josh, not in racist America.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,042
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Biden
    Wes Moore works too.

• Options
    Biden
    brianlux said:

WORD UP

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,005
    mrussel1 said:

Gina Raimondo
    Gavin Newsome
    Pete Buttigieg
    Kamala Harris
    Josh Shapiro

I thought of Gretchen and then thought of her history with Michigan and how it’d be too easy for repubs to paint her in a bad light. Something about all those red hat open carry people with rifles slung over their shoulders carrying on about communism or some such nonsense. Bottom line, add her to the list along with a few others I’ve probably missed. Nominate a fucking stool or chair at this point. But an actual floor race at the convention would be fascinating.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Biden
    ikiT said:
    Wes Moore works too.

I like him,  but he's first term and 45. Young. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,629
    edited June 28
    Biden
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:

Did it look like Trump can lead this country? I mean, I think we can all acknowledge Joe is old, but Trump is a criminally convicted lying moron with no plan for this country. The fact Republicans are taking laps because Trump was Trump is pathetic. No Democrat is taking laps because Biden was Biden and showed his age. It's ridiculous that anyone outside the red hats would celebrate that performance last night. Jesus Christ, what a disaster indeed.
    Yes, it did look like he can lead.  
    Through the lens of anyone out there who can possibly be undecided or wading into the Trump pool... Trump looked a lot stronger and forceful than Biden.   It also helped that the format was to turn the microphone off, so Trump never appeared to look like a cruel bully.   Objectively, that was Trump's best debate performance to-date.   Trump bombastically says he will end Ukraine.  You kind of almost believe him going up against a punching bag/tomato can opponent.  

on the other hand, Biden is inspiring zero people to go to the polls.  The only motivation is to keep trump out.  It is a strong motivation and will get a lot of votes... but this thing is going to come down to 1,000s of people in a handful of states.  Biden is a sunk ship in this.  They have been saying he is too old and frail, and that was given full life for 90 minutes last night and that is going to be on everyone's mind all Summer.

This actually may turn out as a good thing because it was so severe, that it might force change to the ticket, and this is the time to do it.  2 Months before the convention.  Get someone younger and with some vigor, but not someone too idealistic.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Biden
    mickeyrat said:
    Biden is on the ballot in every state.
    to switch that now? 5 months before the election and only a couple before state deadlines for ballot inclusion?

not possible. so just stop.
    Biden is not officially nominated.  I thought Alabama and Ohio were the only two states that had deadlines before teh convention, and they were trying to amend that. 
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    Wes Moore works too.

I like him,  but he's first term and 45. Young. 
    so was that other guy...
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:

Gina Raimondo
    Gavin Newsome
    Pete Buttigieg
    Kamala Harris
    Josh Shapiro

The only path for a new candidate would be a serious health issue or Joe decided to retire gracefully. 

Although the below is a fine list, not sure how Harris getting pushed aside wouldn’t be a second major attack by MAGA

Gavin Newsome, YES

Kamala Harris

Josh Shapiro, excellent politician, but given his ethnicity, and especially in this red green insanity within the Democratic Party, unfortunately not a chance.

The premise is Joe withdraws.  He can't be pushed aside because I believe Joe has won enough regular delegates to secure the nomination.  But we would have to check that against the super delegate count. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,757
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:

Gina Raimondo
    Gavin Newsome
    Pete Buttigieg
    Kamala Harris
    Josh Shapiro

Gavin Newsome, YES

Kamala Harris

Shapiro would be a great candidate but he's literally been governor for 18 months - I think he needs more time. And honestly he hasn't accomplished all that much beyond fixing I-95.

For some reason people really hate Kamala - I think she'd be fine as a candidate though (although she was pretty lousy as a POTUS candidate in 2020). I was longing for Gretchen Whitmer to be the candidate driving through Michigan on our recent trip. But yeah, super sexist nation, moreso than racist. 

Newsom & Buttigieg would be great.

by the way...  Anyone who thinks Trump did well last night is just as delusional as he is. He absolutely did not pick up any swing voters or "double haters."
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,331
    Biden
    Any highlight reel of the debate last night should have Wreckage playing in the background. "Combing through the wreckage..."
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Biden
    tbergs said:
    Any highlight reel of the debate last night should have Wreckage playing in the background. "Combing through the wreckage..."
    I was thinking Life Wasted would also be fitting.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,183
    Biden
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:

No democrat is taking laps cause Biden was awful, even worse then the lowest expectations.  He was that bad.

And we already know the MAGA are ok with trump being trump, so they would be happy with that debate.  Cause the lies don't matter to them and he certainly seemed like the more coherent person on stage if you aren't concerned with the lies.  

To be fair, Trump, for him, was measured.  So while I am certainly never voting for Trump, he exceeded the low expectations I had for him but not acting like a completely deranged moron...just a moron.  And Biden was worse than my low expectations cause he had no fire whatsoever and had MULTIPLE moments of forgetting what he was saying and standing in silence.  It was a disaster for Biden.  

But, if somehow he can turn it around and the Sept debates happen, he can re-write the narrative.  If I were Trump's camp, I'd cancel all future debates.
    hippiemom = goodness