Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Biden
    Not the worst outcome in the world.  Biden with a GOP Senate majority and a narrower House that a moderate bipartisan caucus can wield more power in. 

And, actually, Biden will not mind that at all.  Pressure's off. He can use McConnell as the excuse why he doesn't implement the crazys' hoped for plan.  And, so I'm now taking bets how long it takes for Dems to call for Pelosi to invoke 25th Amendment b/c Biden doesn't take on McConnell.  I say 6 months.

Basically any hope for a major domestic policy shift is gone with no change in the Senate.   Stability. Basically the markets are telling you this positive news today.

I do wonder what happens with the positive Middle East news.  If Biden (or really whoever his Sec'y of State) brings Palestine back to the table, that will evaporate quicker than it seemed to come together.   I assume Biden will continue to draw down troops around the world as Trump had already been doing.

Trump legacy has been cemented for years by this election. No change to Supreme Court. No new States (which both seemed unlikely with a few Moderate Dems anyway).  No major Tax Code change.  All bye, bye.   

I still expect spending to continue unabated as Trump didn't really change that either. I mean he did a $3 Trillion Cares Act and was prepared to do another $2. So, what's another $1 on top of that? If Dems want to bail out NY, lol. Fine by me (it's stupid, but eh).  At some point, there will be a reckoning.  Each party keeps planning for it to be the other party's problem.

So, while everyone will focus on whatever they want here, I will end with 2 questions - given this most likely reality of GOP Senate hold and Dem President:

1) What of significance do you think will actually change? 
    2)  Given they will be able to slip some smaller initiatives in, what do you hope they will (and realistically get through) choose to?
    You lost me at 25A in six months....childish
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Biden
    Well @mrussel1, my Texas prediction didn't come to fruition. Though Biden did do pretty well (52% to 46%). It makes you wonder if Texas could ever go blue. I always hear how some parts of Texas are trending that way. But if a moderate democrat like Biden (who's almost a conservative compared to some segments of his party) couldn't win over a fake-ass Republicans like Trump, I don't know if it'll ever happen. 
    Substitute another republican for tRump though and it might be a done deal.  
    See I think it may be the opposite; that a real Republican (like a Romney/McCain-type) wouldn't be in much danger, but someone like Trump (both outrageous personally, and a fake conservative) was. Unless you're arguing that there's something about Trump outrageousness that Texas likes. But I think both Hillary (42%) and Biden (46%) did okay in Texas because Trump sucks. Not because of some shift to blue in the state. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,520
    Biden
    you think democrats will try to have their own president removed?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Biden
    yeah, no way that is even possible.  haha
  • Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    Well @mrussel1, my Texas prediction didn't come to fruition. Though Biden did do pretty well (52% to 46%). It makes you wonder if Texas could ever go blue. I always hear how some parts of Texas are trending that way. But if a moderate democrat like Biden (who's almost a conservative compared to some segments of his party) couldn't win over a fake-ass Republicans like Trump, I don't know if it'll ever happen. 
    If the R party continues to construct itself in the image of Trump, then it will go Blue at some point.  If it re-centers itself and becomes less reactionary and anti-science, then it will not go blue.  At the end of the day, Biden did well in Texas, much better than anyone would have expected at the beginning of the election cycle.  I'll still buy you rounds at our next mutual PJ show.
    Sounds good. 

I think it'll be the latter, and they try to distance themselves from Trump. I think most reasonable Republicans will....if they're smart. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,142
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    honestly. regardless of who wins. i'm done with america. fuck america. i can't believe so many people still support this piece of shit after the last four years. it's unimaginable to most people that don't live in your country. see you in 4 years. at best. 
    I feel exactly like this but unfortunately I live here. Even if it ends up Biden the amount of votes for trump still makes me sick. And you care, you actually care and understand more than most. Almost 50% of us are fucking assholes so you’re justified and permitted your feelings and frustration. If more Americans were like you these conversations wouldn’t even be happening. 
    Calling everyone who doesn't vote with you a fucking asshole is about as Trumpy as it gets
    i haven't met one trump voter, in person or online, that doesn't fit that description. 

i was hesitant about generalizing after he beat hillary. even often scolded people here when they did so. figured people were just tossing their vote in the wishing well. but after this 4 years? sorry, they no longer get the benefit of the doubt. 
    Do you watch Justified?

i don't run into assholes all day. most people i know are good, decent people. i am only talking about one type with one specific trait. and i specifically said trump supporters i know. i don't know many. but all of them share many of the same traits i find despicable in a human. 
    If you're the type to post "I'm done with America. Fuck America." what sort of political discussions do you expect to be having?
    it was posted in frustration about what i thought was going to happen and what didn't happen. i considered deleting/editing it, but left it up so i could own it. and i do. 

i'm sure you know i'm usually very reasonable. but last night a pipe burst. 
    Yeah, that's true. You usually are. Try not to let this stuff get to you especially when the indications are (at least currently) that Trump is going to lose.
    i know he's probably going to lose. but for me that wasn't enough. I was really hoping that the US had finally come to its senses. it looks like it got worse. not that i want the country run by 100% democrats. just reasonable republicans is all i ask for. but reasonable republicans in office seem like the minority now. 

and there may have been some crown royal involved when i posted that.  =)
    Ha ha...whiskey posting during an election is risky business. Frankly, I don't know what the answer is on the Republican front either. You just take it election by election and hope the winds change.

To me, one of the answers is staying vigilant about keeping the power of that branch limited so it matters less if someone like Trump gets in. If it comes up, resist the urge to empower Biden to circumvent Congress - that seat could belong to someone like Josh Hawley in 4 years.
    I'm sitting this one out
    Not the worst outcome in the world.  Biden with a GOP Senate majority and a narrower House that a moderate bipartisan caucus can wield more power in. 

And, actually, Biden will not mind that at all.  Pressure's off. He can use McConnell as the excuse why he doesn't implement the crazys' hoped for plan.  And, so I'm now taking bets how long it takes for Dems to call for Pelosi to invoke 25th Amendment b/c Biden doesn't take on McConnell.  I say 6 months.

Basically any hope for a major domestic policy shift is gone with no change in the Senate.   Stability. Basically the markets are telling you this positive news today.

I do wonder what happens with the positive Middle East news.  If Biden (or really whoever his Sec'y of State) brings Palestine back to the table, that will evaporate quicker than it seemed to come together.   I assume Biden will continue to draw down troops around the world as Trump had already been doing.

Trump legacy has been cemented for years by this election. No change to Supreme Court. No new States (which both seemed unlikely with a few Moderate Dems anyway).  No major Tax Code change.  All bye, bye.   

I still expect spending to continue unabated as Trump didn't really change that either. I mean he did a $3 Trillion Cares Act and was prepared to do another $2. So, what's another $1 on top of that? If Dems want to bail out NY, lol. Fine by me (it's stupid, but eh).  At some point, there will be a reckoning.  Each party keeps planning for it to be the other party's problem.

So, while everyone will focus on whatever they want here, I will end with 2 questions - given this most likely reality of GOP Senate hold and Dem President:

2)  Given they will be able to slip some smaller initiatives in, what do you hope they will (and realistically get through) choose to?
    This more or less sums up how I feel minus the 25th push
  • pjl44 said:

I think it's funny 2 posters have commented on what I thought was clearly a throw away joke. Lighten up. You "won."  No more Trump (other than on MSNBC when they hire him).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    edited November 2020
    Biden
    pjl44 said:

I think it's funny 2 posters have commented on what I thought was clearly a throw away joke. Lighten up. You "won."  No more Trump (other than on MSNBC when they hire him).
    i think you should know by now that nothing is "clearly a joke" when politics is iinvolved. 

edit: and if McConnell is still majority leader, no, we didn't "win". more like a tie. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

www.headstonesband.com

I'm sitting this one out
    static111 said:
    Not a fan of votes being counted into Wednesday and Thursday.  You want to mail it in then mail it ten days in advance.  Or drop it off.  This just creates doubt amongst some of the electorate when you have swings after Election Day.
    Why are you more worried about "doubts" amongs idiots, than about if every citizens vote gets counted in an election?
    I never said anything about people not being able to vote.  There is PLENTY of time to vote well in advance.  I say cutoff the mail in votes 8 days or so in advance to allow time to arrive so we don't have a million votes counted on Wed/Thurs but perhaps only 30,000 vote left to count afterwards.  I had 30 days to vote in person.  It doesn't take much time to mail in or drive by and drop off a ballot.  
    The votes that are being counted have been sitting there for weeks for the most part. Republican legislatures would not allow a rules change to let the votes be counted as they come in. What you propose would take for republicans to work together and change counting rules so we could get accurate tallys more quickly.  They won’t do this because it sets them up for what we have today, crying fraud when votes are being counted.
    End of day, I am for a system that counts 95%+ of the votes on election day.  So these states need to count the votes like Florida does so they can be reported on election day.  That's all I am suggesting.  Not limiting peoples' ability to vote.  I don't think there is anything wrong with some sort of rule saying that if you want to mail in your vote you must have it postmarked by whatever date, or dropped off by whatever date and if not, vote in person. 
    Florida started counting weeks ago. That's the difference.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,173
    pjl44 said:

lol you must be drunk MSNBC I got a $100 that would never happen Faux yes and got another $100 that Pelosi never tried to remove Biden with 25th , and if your not drunk let me buy what ever you’re smoking! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Biden
    Yeah, like I said, I dont mind the checks.  A wild swing to unchecked Dem policy would swing the pendulum too far, and it would surely come back (and also result in more violence) IMO.  

I welcome stability.  That is what I most look forward to.  No more wild tweet storms by our president.  Don't have to worry about a dipshit President making an ass out of all of us while at Diplomatic events.  No more Kushner, Don Jr, etc.,  Heads of cabinet and agencys who are actually qualified.  Adherence to science and facts.  The end of the hostile takeover of the Judiciary.  

Dont need full student loan forgiveness, further unchecked AA initiatives, banning Christmas, and everything else.  

Maybe there will be sensible healthcare reform that the Senate will feel pressure to pass through?  
    edited November 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:

It doesn't come off as a joke because it seems entirely plausible for a segment of Democrats, including Pelosi
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    edited November 2020
    oops. 3. and I guess 4 with the no chance comment. That is hysterical.   It was a throw away joke. I will remember how serious this place takes itself next time I post. Lol. 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

It doesn't come off as a joke because it seems entirely plausible for a segment of Democrats, including Pelosi
    No...it doesn't come off as a joke because it follows the GOP narrative of insane bullshit

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Biden
    WI called for Biden

edited November 2020
    Biden
    oops. 3. and I guess 4 with the no chance comment. That is hysterical.   It was a throw away joke. I will remember how serious this place takes itself next time I post. Lol. 
    you can't hide a "joke" amongst an essay of seriousness and expect anyone to be able to pick it out. honestly, you never know what kind of nuttery is going to come out of a trumpster. 

www.headstonesband.com

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,173
    C19 still alive and infecting, so who would you rather have trying to combat the virus for the next year? We already know how this idiot tried doing zero, 230k dead Americans how many were registered to vote? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    Biden
    pjl44 said:

See, it could be a joke, but the regulars around here know your MO. You make a "joke", that isn't a joke because you've already alluded to your stance on the "joke" in other posts so it's more like you taking a stab at owning some libs. If you really wanted discourse, your post would reflect a more sincere interest instead of trying to take a lap because you're giddy about those points you made about cementing Trump's legacy.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Biden
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:

See, it could be a joke, but the regulars around here know your MO. You make a "joke", that isn't a joke because you've already alluded to your stance on the "joke" in other posts so it's more like you taking a stab at owning some libs. If you really wanted discourse, your post would reflect a more sincere interest instead of trying to take a lap because you're giddy about those points you made about cementing Trump's legacy.
    exactly

www.headstonesband.com

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Biden and Nancy will be locked at the hips.  They will work perfectly together 
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    edited November 2020
    Biden

(I still think Trump finds a way to be inagurated on January 20, but...) It will be a legitimate excuse.  Mitch won't let him do anything. I guess your point might be a little more subtle; he doesn't have to say "no" to the hard-left because Mitch won't even let him nominate a justice to the 44th district of Wyoming.  So I guess that's a point.

No, there's no conspiracy to replace Biden with a woman of color. And even if there was, they wouldn't use the 25th.  In this era of politics-as-sport, nobody would want that kind of a stain on a person of their party. They'd fake a medical reason for him to step down.

EDIT: I took a break to, uh, do work, mid-post...missing that "it was a joke." Well, you're not the first person I've seen make "that joke" and it's not always a joke. If this wasn't a conspiracy theory with at least some legs, I may have let it go.  But a joke didn't really fit in with the rest of your post.

Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Biden
    WI called for Biden
    cnn still hasn't updated. fox news updated it like 10 minutes ago. i've never understood why cnn.com is so slow to update breaking news items. it's strange. 

www.headstonesband.com

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    static111 said:
    Not a fan of votes being counted into Wednesday and Thursday.  You want to mail it in then mail it ten days in advance.  Or drop it off.  This just creates doubt amongst some of the electorate when you have swings after Election Day.
    Why are you more worried about "doubts" amongs idiots, than about if every citizens vote gets counted in an election?
    I never said anything about people not being able to vote.  There is PLENTY of time to vote well in advance.  I say cutoff the mail in votes 8 days or so in advance to allow time to arrive so we don't have a million votes counted on Wed/Thurs but perhaps only 30,000 vote left to count afterwards.  I had 30 days to vote in person.  It doesn't take much time to mail in or drive by and drop off a ballot.  
    The votes that are being counted have been sitting there for weeks for the most part. Republican legislatures would not allow a rules change to let the votes be counted as they come in. What you propose would take for republicans to work together and change counting rules so we could get accurate tallys more quickly.  They won’t do this because it sets them up for what we have today, crying fraud when votes are being counted.
    End of day, I am for a system that counts 95%+ of the votes on election day.  So these states need to count the votes like Florida does so they can be reported on election day.  That's all I am suggesting.  Not limiting peoples' ability to vote.  I don't think there is anything wrong with some sort of rule saying that if you want to mail in your vote you must have it postmarked by whatever date, or dropped off by whatever date and if not, vote in person. 
    I agree. The postmarks and late mailed ballots are largely not what is causing the debacle we have today.  This is all because R legislatures do not allow mail ballots to be counted until Election Day.  If it was only a few thousand late ballots we wouldn’t be here.  It is literally hundred of thousands of ballots that showed up on time.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • I'm sitting this one out
    MayDay10 said:
    A wild swing to unchecked Dem policy would swing the pendulum too far, 
    Too far in what direction? Lol.  The scary direction of humanity? 

"I need Lindsey Graham in senate to keep stability"

There is urgent need for changes. Seems stability through the years hasn't done that much.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    I agree. The postmarks and late mailed ballots are largely not what is causing the debacle we have today.  This is all because R legislatures do not allow mail ballots to be counted until Election Day.  If it was only a few thousand late ballots we wouldn’t be here.  It is literally hundred of thousands of ballots that showed up on time.
    A fucking men. This was known for weeks this was going to happen. The GOP wanted it to happen its all they have, 
    Biden
    MayDay10 said:
    A wild swing to unchecked Dem policy would swing the pendulum too far, 
    Too far in what direction? Lol.  The scary direction of humanity? 

"I need Lindsey Graham in senate to keep stability"

There is urgent need for changes. Seems stability through the years hasn't done that much.
    it would swing too far in the next election.

first black president begets first openly racist asshole in modern times as president, for example

www.headstonesband.com

• I'm sitting this one out
    Haha. Can not stop reading it like he's being tongue in cheek 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I'm sitting this one out
    This, from the Biden camp, is not good.