Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,142
    edited November 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    honestly. regardless of who wins. i'm done with america. fuck america. i can't believe so many people still support this piece of shit after the last four years. it's unimaginable to most people that don't live in your country. see you in 4 years. at best. 
    I feel exactly like this but unfortunately I live here. Even if it ends up Biden the amount of votes for trump still makes me sick. And you care, you actually care and understand more than most. Almost 50% of us are fucking assholes so you’re justified and permitted your feelings and frustration. If more Americans were like you these conversations wouldn’t even be happening. 
    Calling everyone who doesn't vote with you a fucking asshole is about as Trumpy as it gets
    i haven't met one trump voter, in person or online, that doesn't fit that description. 

i was hesitant about generalizing after he beat hillary. even often scolded people here when they did so. figured people were just tossing their vote in the wishing well. but after this 4 years? sorry, they no longer get the benefit of the doubt. 
    Do you watch Justified?

i don't run into assholes all day. most people i know are good, decent people. i am only talking about one type with one specific trait. and i specifically said trump supporters i know. i don't know many. but all of them share many of the same traits i find despicable in a human. 
    If you're the type to post "I'm done with America. Fuck America." what sort of political discussions do you expect to be having?
    I'm sitting this one out
    OnWis97 said:
    Go back and look at the Vice link SC posted
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    honestly. regardless of who wins. i'm done with america. fuck america. i can't believe so many people still support this piece of shit after the last four years. it's unimaginable to most people that don't live in your country. see you in 4 years. at best. 
    I feel exactly like this but unfortunately I live here. Even if it ends up Biden the amount of votes for trump still makes me sick. And you care, you actually care and understand more than most. Almost 50% of us are fucking assholes so you’re justified and permitted your feelings and frustration. If more Americans were like you these conversations wouldn’t even be happening. 
    Calling everyone who doesn't vote with you a fucking asshole is about as Trumpy as it gets
    i haven't met one trump voter, in person or online, that doesn't fit that description. 

i was hesitant about generalizing after he beat hillary. even often scolded people here when they did so. figured people were just tossing their vote in the wishing well. but after this 4 years? sorry, they no longer get the benefit of the doubt. 
    Do you watch Justified?

i don't run into assholes all day. most people i know are good, decent people. i am only talking about one type with one specific trait. and i specifically said trump supporters i know. i don't know many. but all of them share many of the same traits i find despicable in a human. 
    If you're the type to post "I'm done with America. Fuck America." what sort of political discussions do you expect to be having?

As an American, that doesn't bother me. I know it's not an indictment on me specifically but about a culture that is rooted pretty deeply and is about the masses more than individuals.  I personally don't have the luxury to say that, since I am here. But we must look like a freaking circus from the outside.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Biden
    pjl44 said:

I've seen some of that, but I've seen way more of that from the anti-Trump crowd; that if you voted for Trump, you're morally bankrupt, an asshole, a racist, an idiot, etc. That's not to say I haven't seen pushback from Trump-lovers, like "How can you vote for Biden?" But not being called names for it like I've seen from the Trump-haters. 
    But Biden isn't a big asshole that is impossible to vote for if you are decent human being, and care about others and the planet. 

So I don't see what is odd about it.
    Whatever. It's not worth rehashing the "people who vote for Trump and what that says about them" stuff.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Do you watch Justified?

Excellent show and best role for Olyphant ever.
    Really? I need to watch that.  Loved Deadwood.  What service/station is it on?
    Easily one of the best shows of all time. His nemesis Boyd Crowder is one of the best tv villains of all time.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,520
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Do you watch Justified?

it was posted in frustration about what i thought was going to happen and what didn't happen. i considered deleting/editing it, but left it up so i could own it. and i do. 

i'm sure you know i'm usually very reasonable. but last night a pipe burst. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    Biden
    Not a fan of votes being counted into Wednesday and Thursday.  You want to mail it in then mail it ten days in advance.  Or drop it off.  This just creates doubt amongst some of the electorate when you have swings after Election Day.
    Why are you more worried about "doubts" amongs idiots, than about if every citizens vote gets counted in an election?
    I never said anything about people not being able to vote.  There is PLENTY of time to vote well in advance.  I say cutoff the mail in votes 8 days or so in advance to allow time to arrive so we don't have a million votes counted on Wed/Thurs but perhaps only 30,000 vote left to count afterwards.  I had 30 days to vote in person.  It doesn't take much time to mail in or drive by and drop off a ballot.  
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:

I've seen some of that, but I've seen way more of that from the anti-Trump crowd; that if you voted for Trump, you're morally bankrupt, an asshole, a racist, an idiot, etc. That's not to say I haven't seen pushback from Trump-lovers, like "How can you vote for Biden?" But not being called names for it like I've seen from the Trump-haters. 
    But Biden isn't a big asshole that is impossible to vote for if you are decent human being, and care about others and the planet. 

Whatever. It's not worth rehashing the "people who vote for Trump and what that says about them" stuff.
    For some people, all they know is lashing out and then wondering aloud why they encounter so many assholes
  • Biden
    pjl44 said:

But he's senile...and he sniffs kids hair...and his son had a laptop with emails.

They will believe anything
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Biden
    OnWis97 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Do you watch Justified?

As an American, that doesn't bother me. I know it's not an indictment on me specifically but about a culture that is rooted pretty deeply and is about the masses more than individuals.  I personally don't have the luxury to say that, since I am here. But we must look like a freaking circus from the outside.
    you (the country) does look like a circus. if the US wasn't so influential on the world stage, we'd be laughing and pointing instead of being so upset. if you were ireland, for example, literally none of us would give a shit. 

kind of like how americans look at canada, actually. LOL. 

www.headstonesband.com

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Do you watch Justified?

Easily one of the best shows of all time. His nemesis Boyd Crowder is one of the best tv villains of all time.  
    Teh wife and I are finishing up Succession now (also hilariously dark), so we'll need something new.  Thanks for the tip. 
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Do you watch Justified?

it was posted in frustration about what i thought was going to happen and what didn't happen. i considered deleting/editing it, but left it up so i could own it. and i do. 

Yeah, that's true. You usually are. Try not to let this stuff get to you especially when the indications are (at least currently) that Trump is going to lose.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613
    Biden
    If I had neighbors that had a big house full of people and half of them hated anybody that didn't look like them, and half of them displayed a distinct lack of good judgement and civility, and half of them loved it that the head of their household was a belligerent, rude, misogynistic lying narcissist, I would stay as far away from that household as possible.  And I would feel the same way about America if I were from another country.  This one is toxic, sick, and falling apart at the seems.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Do you watch Justified?

He just said he gave people the benefit of the doubt for four years and his done with it. I tried to give the ass himself the benefit of the doubt and had he handled the pandemic correctly I MAY have been able to vote for him. Everyone someone has an opinion trump supporters all say the same thing. It’s like a play book you e all been sent so how do you expect us to have a civilized conversation with you when he’s tried for 4 years. It’s almost over....finals days of people’s opinions (hopefully with no violence) so just let people air their final grievances and stop still trying to win trump votes. 
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Do you watch Justified?

Yeah, that's true. You usually are. Try not to let this stuff get to you especially when the indications are (at least currently) that Trump is going to lose.
    i know he's probably going to lose. but for me that wasn't enough. I was really hoping that the US had finally come to its senses. it looks like it got worse. not that i want the country run by 100% democrats. just reasonable republicans is all i ask for. but reasonable republicans in office seem like the minority now. 

and there may have been some crown royal involved when i posted that.  =)

www.headstonesband.com

Biden
    Not a fan of votes being counted into Wednesday and Thursday.  You want to mail it in then mail it ten days in advance.  Or drop it off.  This just creates doubt amongst some of the electorate when you have swings after Election Day.
    Why are you more worried about "doubts" amongs idiots, than about if every citizens vote gets counted in an election?
    I never said anything about people not being able to vote.  There is PLENTY of time to vote well in advance.  I say cutoff the mail in votes 8 days or so in advance to allow time to arrive so we don't have a million votes counted on Wed/Thurs but perhaps only 30,000 vote left to count afterwards.  I had 30 days to vote in person.  It doesn't take much time to mail in or drive by and drop off a ballot.  
    The votes that are being counted have been sitting there for weeks for the most part. Republican legislatures would not allow a rules change to let the votes be counted as they come in. What you propose would take for republicans to work together and change counting rules so we could get accurate tallys more quickly.  They won’t do this because it sets them up for what we have today, crying fraud when votes are being counted.
    Scio me nihil scire

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Biden
    brianlux said:
    If I had neighbors that had a big house full of people and half of them hated anybody that didn't look like them, and half of them displayed a distinct lack of good judgement and civility, and half of them loved it that the head of their household was a belligerent, rude, misogynistic lying narcissist, I would stay as far away from that household as possible.  And I would feel the same way about America if I were from another country.  This one is toxic, sick, and falling apart at the seems.  
    yep....I told my wife that I have no interest in socializing with tRumpsters.  They are too stupid to waste any of my time on.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Biden
    I am impressed with your twitter skills.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Biden
    Well @mrussel1, my Texas prediction didn't come to fruition. Though Biden did do pretty well (52% to 46%). It makes you wonder if Texas could ever go blue. I always hear how some parts of Texas are trending that way. But if a moderate democrat like Biden (who's almost a conservative compared to some segments of his party) couldn't win over a fake-ass Republicans like Trump, I don't know if it'll ever happen. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Biden
    Well @mrussel1, my Texas prediction didn't come to fruition. Though Biden did do pretty well (52% to 46%). It makes you wonder if Texas could ever go blue. I always hear how some parts of Texas are trending that way. But if a moderate democrat like Biden (who's almost a conservative compared to some segments of his party) couldn't win over a fake-ass Republicans like Trump, I don't know if it'll ever happen. 
    Substitute another republican for tRump though and it might be a done deal.  

Biden
    pjl44 said:

For the most part I can’t divorce a vote for Trump from a vote for t personality of Trump.  Nor can I look at coal rolling Trump flag flying rednecks yelling about minorities as if they aren’t assholes...I’m not living in that alternative universe. I’m not a Dem I’m not a Biden supporter.  I voted Biden because Trump is a complete asshole. For anyone to see that behavior and think it’s ok implies they are ok with people being complete assholes and by and large t he y are voting for their values.   If one values assholes it is hard to make a case against one being an asshole themselves.
    Scio me nihil scire

Biden
    static111 said:
    The votes that are being counted have been sitting there for weeks for the most part. Republican legislatures would not allow a rules change to let the votes be counted as they come in. What you propose would take for republicans to work together and change counting rules so we could get accurate tallys more quickly.  They won’t do this because it sets them up for what we have today, crying fraud when votes are being counted.
    and his supporters are so stupid to believe it. 

www.headstonesband.com

Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Do you watch Justified?

Teh wife and I are finishing up Succession now (also hilariously dark), so we'll need something new.  Thanks for the tip. 
    Oh yeah it’s on Netflix
    Scio me nihil scire

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Biden
    If the R party continues to construct itself in the image of Trump, then it will go Blue at some point.  If it re-centers itself and becomes less reactionary and anti-science, then it will not go blue.  At the end of the day, Biden did well in Texas, much better than anyone would have expected at the beginning of the election cycle.  I'll still buy you rounds at our next mutual PJ show.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    Biden
    static111 said:
    End of day, I am for a system that counts 95%+ of the votes on election day.  So these states need to count the votes like Florida does so they can be reported on election day.  That's all I am suggesting.  Not limiting peoples' ability to vote.  I don't think there is anything wrong with some sort of rule saying that if you want to mail in your vote you must have it postmarked by whatever date, or dropped off by whatever date and if not, vote in person. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Do you watch Justified?

It's an FX series. Used to be available on Prime, but I see it isn't there anymore. Takes a few episodes to hit it's stride, but there are some great characters on that show. Very similar to Ozark.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Not the worst outcome in the world.  Biden with a GOP Senate majority and a narrower House that a moderate bipartisan caucus can wield more power in. 

And, actually, Biden will not mind that at all.  Pressure's off. He can use McConnell as the excuse why he doesn't implement the crazys' hoped for plan.  And, so I'm now taking bets how long it takes for Dems to call for Pelosi to invoke 25th Amendment b/c Biden doesn't take on McConnell.  I say 6 months.

Basically any hope for a major domestic policy shift is gone with no change in the Senate.   Stability. Basically the markets are telling you this positive news today.

I do wonder what happens with the positive Middle East news.  If Biden (or really whoever his Sec'y of State) brings Palestine back to the table, that will evaporate quicker than it seemed to come together.   I assume Biden will continue to draw down troops around the world as Trump had already been doing.

Trump legacy has been cemented for years by this election. No change to Supreme Court. No new States (which both seemed unlikely with a few Moderate Dems anyway).  No major Tax Code change.  All bye, bye.   

I still expect spending to continue unabated as Trump didn't really change that either. I mean he did a $3 Trillion Cares Act and was prepared to do another $2. So, what's another $1 on top of that? If Dems want to bail out NY, lol. Fine by me (it's stupid, but eh).  At some point, there will be a reckoning.  Each party keeps planning for it to be the other party's problem.

So, while everyone will focus on whatever they want here, I will end with 2 questions - given this most likely reality of GOP Senate hold and Dem President:

1) What of significance do you think will actually change? 
    2)  Given they will be able to slip some smaller initiatives in, what do you hope they will (and realistically get through) choose to?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.