I’m Sorry But Gigaton Is A Major Dissapointment

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    eboweddie said:
    I have it in the car!!!! 
    Okay, you can stay.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    If you are a Pearl Jam “fan” and only like one song on gigaton then something is wrong with you. I really like this record a lot. 8/10
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    If you are a Pearl Jam “fan” and only like one song on gigaton then something is wrong with you. I really like this record a lot. 8/10
    He Has Spoken. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Speaking of "trolling".
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    The best parts of this thread are the “just ok is not okay” and the “sure Jan” images.  

For me personally I’m not feeling the album yet; it may grow on me, but regardless, DOTC is an instant favorite and if I end up liking any of the others that’s a bonus.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    Speaking of "trolling".
    Haha, wrong but thanks for playing Becky. I forgot about all the winners that come out of the woodwork when an album is released and piss and moan that even flow wasn’t re released. Have a good day complaining on here Becky!
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    If you are a Pearl Jam fan you would respect other people’s rights to their opinions.  I am glad you enjoy the new album.  See ya.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    edited March 2020
    Speaking of "trolling".
    Haha, wrong but thanks for playing Becky. I forgot about all the winners that come out of the woodwork when an album is released and piss and moan that even flow wasn’t re released. Have a good day complaining on here Becky!
    What have I complained about regarding the record?

Just drop the shit attitude and the sheep mentality. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    for me My experience has been similar to when Avacado came out.  That one took me a solid three weeks to get into. I’m getting into this slowly...just starting to feel it.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    At least this opinion was written with more respect than some other threads that were started. 

Rock on, Gigaton! Great album. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    CO278952 said:
    At least hopefully you are pleased that Can’t Deny Me was left off
    That song would sound so out of place sitting amongst good songs
  • JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    edited March 2020
    on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:
    I was very excited to to crank this new album on my way home from work yesterday. It started out great with Who Ever Said and I was loving it up thorough Quick Escape then it quickly went downhill. I kept waiting for the next song to bring it back but that didn’t happen.  Ive listened to it now multiple times trying to like it but I just don’t. I personally put this as their worse album and it sounds more of an Ed solo album than a full band effort in my opinion. 
    Agree with you it’s too bad they keep doing this (last 3 albums so disappointing) I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did, beck we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that. After Backspacer and  bolt he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I’m not there yet but getting real close.
    Is there a reason why your friend can’t like Pearl Jam and U2 at the same time?  Why the need to declare you’re dropping one band and picking up another?  Sounds made up. 
    Well last time I checked supporting a band costs resources money he still likes PJ just won’t buy new albums since he doesn’t like them and is now supporting U2 - supporting a band costs money not sure your situation/age but those that have bills to pay and don’t live with parents will prioritize their entertainment spend. He spent 400.00 on one U2 show and felt that was better use of his entertainment budget than PJ given recent output.

That was not made up at all you are just blinded by your love of this album and differences of opinion. 
    Post edited by JF116983 on
  • coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
    I get that it is everyone's right to have an opinion, I totally respect that, I just do not quite understand what people are looking for when a new album drops. What if Bugs was on this album? What would people say? I really like all of their albums for different reasons. They are artists and this is their interpretation of what they feel motivates them to create music. Enjoy the songs, just keep listening to it start to finish, it will hit you at some point.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    JF116983 said:
    on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:
    I was very excited to to crank this new album on my way home from work yesterday. It started out great with Who Ever Said and I was loving it up thorough Quick Escape then it quickly went downhill. I kept waiting for the next song to bring it back but that didn’t happen.  Ive listened to it now multiple times trying to like it but I just don’t. I personally put this as their worse album and it sounds more of an Ed solo album than a full band effort in my opinion. 
    Agree with you it’s too bad they keep doing this (last 3 albums so disappointing) I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did, beck we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that. After Backspacer and  bolt he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I’m not there yet but getting real close.
    Is there a reason why your friend can’t like Pearl Jam and U2 at the same time?  Why the need to declare you’re dropping one band and picking up another?  Sounds made up. 
    Well last time I checked supporting a band costs resources money he still likes PJ just won’t buy new albums since he doesn’t like them and is now supporting U2 - not made up at all you are just blinded by your love of this album and differences of opinion. I hope you don’t read online reviews of this album outside of here cause let me tell you they are not good.
    Why does your friend need to support a band? Just buy a new CD here and there or stream the album and listen to their music.  I’m still not understanding why liking Pearl Jam and U2 are mutually exclusive.  I really feels like you’re just overdramatizing a really simple situation for the sake of making a point.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    edited March 2020
    Post deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    This is the best part of social distancing, lockdowns and quartines.   Watching pearl jam fans piss in each others cereal.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:
    on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:
    Well last time I checked supporting a band costs resources money he still likes PJ just won’t buy new albums since he doesn’t like them and is now supporting U2 - not made up at all you are just blinded by your love of this album and differences of opinion. I hope you don’t read online reviews of this album outside of here cause let me tell you they are not good.
    Why does your friend need to support a band? Just buy a new CD here and there or stream the album and listen to their music.  I’m still not understanding why liking Pearl Jam and U2 are mutually exclusive.  I really feels like you’re just overdramatizing a really simple situation for the sake of making a point.  
    THIS x a million. 
    JF116983 said:
    on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:
    Well last time I checked supporting a band costs resources money he still likes PJ just won’t buy new albums since he doesn’t like them and is now supporting U2 - supporting a band costs money not sure your situation/age but those that have bills to pay and don’t live with parents will prioritize their entertainment spend. He spent 400.00 on one U2 show and felt that was better use of his entertainment budget than PJ given recent output.

That was not made up at all you are just blinded by your love of this album and differences of opinion. 
    I see you edited out your lie about all the online reviews being bad.  Lol. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

edited March 2020
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Lol
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    edited March 2020
    By the way... you might want to let your friend know it might be time to switch favorite bands again.  U2’s last album didn’t review too well.  😉

on2legs said:
    By the way... you might want to let your friend know it might be time to switch favorite bands again.  U2’s last album didn’t review too well.  😉

KISS

STAYS

WINNING

• vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:
    on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:

I see you edited out your lie about all the online reviews being bad.  Lol. 

Posted the same thing, I think it's time to stop giving the troll anymore airtime, he lost game over!
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

on2legs said:

KISS

STAYS

WINNING

There isn’t a thread made that a Kiss reference can’t be introduced. 

• wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 291
    edited March 2020
    this is all pretty simple. If you're a PJ fan and don't like Gigaton, that suck for you. If you are a PJ fan and are enjoying the new album, good for us. Period.
    wiscojam said:
    this is all pretty simple. If you're a PJ fan and don't like Gigaton, that suck for you. If you are a PJ fan and are enjoying the new album, good for us. Period.
    Very well put. 

Review: Pearl Jam's Gigaton is their best album in 12 years, but that doesn't make it good

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/review-pearl-jam-s-gigaton-is-their-best-album-in-12-years-but-that-doesn-t-make-it-good-1.998197

From the sounds of it, Pearl Jam pieced Gigatontogether from various sessions over several years, with Vedder adding vocals to the choice bits after the fact. It’s hard to imagine this process leading toward a unified statement from any band, let alone one that’s already been having trouble finding
    inspiration. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/pearl-jam-gigaton/amp/

Great... you cherry picked one negative review.  We can post 10 positive ones for every negative one.   

Do me a favor and show me a bad review from classic albums such as Ten or White Album, Abby Road, One By One, All that you cant leave behind, etc
  • Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    I don't know why, but people not liking this album is bothering more than it has with any of their previous albums. I mean, there isn't a dud on this thing. Even the songs on Gigaton that are the "lesser" songs on the album imo are far better than the "lesser" songs on previous albums. It's a huge achievement.