Options

I’m Sorry But Gigaton Is A Major Dissapointment

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    You forgot a couple of words in your title...
     “to me”.

I love the album, it gets a bit long with the slow songs at the end.

comes then goes is meh
    retrograde is less than meh
    river cross is pretty solid but after the other 2 becomes meh  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    I have only listened to it twice since I opened it.  Just can’t get myself to give it another whirl for a while.  Once I get the cd I’ll listen in the car and I’m sure it’ll grow more on me, but I’m not really blown away by it yet.  

Ed feels too far in front and there’s just too much of him to me.  Too many words or something, but maybe it’s because I listened while I read every word in the book and damn he just went fucking word crazy. 

I love the unique compositions and the music itself but something about it feels like an Ed controlled project to me, and I’ve been hoping for more of everyone else.  I just see Ed’s name in there too often perhaps, and I’ll always think of pj as a band, not Ed backed up by a band.  I can feel Ed manipulating everyone else- except for Jeff- the whole time.

anyway there’s a lot of weird shit in this one and it’s going to take me a lot more listens.  I’ll come around, but OP I totally get what you’re saying, you’re absolutely entitled to speak your mind on here, don’t let them get you down.
    Can you post the writers of each song? I can’t see that in digital version, maybe that will explain things for me 
  • Options
    TN49724TN49724 Posts: 99
    PJammin' said:
    I have only listened to it twice since I opened it.  Just can’t get myself to give it another whirl for a while.  Once I get the cd I’ll listen in the car and I’m sure it’ll grow more on me, but I’m not really blown away by it yet.  

Ed feels too far in front and there’s just too much of him to me.  Too many words or something, but maybe it’s because I listened while I read every word in the book and damn he just went fucking word crazy. 

I love the unique compositions and the music itself but something about it feels like an Ed controlled project to me, and I’ve been hoping for more of everyone else.  I just see Ed’s name in there too often perhaps, and I’ll always think of pj as a band, not Ed backed up by a band.  I can feel Ed manipulating everyone else- except for Jeff- the whole time.

anyway there’s a lot of weird shit in this one and it’s going to take me a lot more listens.  I’ll come around, but OP I totally get what you’re saying, you’re absolutely entitled to speak your mind on here, don’t let them get you down.
    Ed’s songs I usually like the least. Where the hell is Stone? That guy is a fantastic song writer. 
    Yes, where is Stone?  I agree with that sentiment exactly.  Jeff and Mike definitely have some great moments. Matt is Matt.  

IMO, more Stone, give Ed a word limit.   I’m waiting for someone to do a word count, by album.  

Someone run some analytics on this, let’s get data. Kidding.  It’s like that one person we all know in our lives who talks and talks, like they’re getting paid by the word, but when they finally stop talking you forget what the point was. 
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,907

I completely agree with everything you're saying here. I still love DoTC. I think I was hoping for more of that new direction. To me, that song sounds more collaborative and invigorating. I'm just hoping that after more listens it will grow on me. I'm sure it will. I just haven't been motivated to spin it again. It feels weird even typing this out. Glad most people seem to be happy with it.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,753

I completely agree with everything you're saying here. I still love DoTC. I think I was hoping for more of that new direction. To me, that song sounds more collaborative and invigorating. I'm just hoping that after more listens it will grow on me. I'm sure it will. I just haven't been motivated to spin it again. It feels weird even typing this out. Glad most people seem to be happy with it.
    I agree with what you said about DOTC. That feels like a true collaboration.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Well, I love it. It's resonating big time. Be well, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    It’s not
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,502
    edited March 2020
    Post deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    KC138045 said:
    I was very excited to to crank this new album on my way home from work yesterday. It started out great with Who Ever Said and I was loving it up thorough Quick Escape then it quickly went downhill. I kept waiting for the next song to bring it back but that didn’t happen.  Ive listened to it now multiple times trying to like it but I just don’t. I personally put this as their worse album and it sounds more of an Ed solo album than a full band effort in my opinion. 
    I’m with you. There’s a real lack of musical quality for something over half a decade in the making.

You’ve got balls on you though - enjoy reaping the whirlwind from the least tolerant fan base on earth.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,466
    KC138045 said:
    e360727 said:
    I feel sorry for you, friend.  It's a great album.  Don't give up on it. 
    THIS.
     it's brilliant - incredibly deep/thoughtful.  Feel as if the boys worked their asses off and produced extraordinary work.  Seven O'clock is a personal favorite.  
    Wow really?  I think Seven O’clock might be the worse song on the entire album. 

I must be missing something because it seems I’m in the minority on not liking this album. 
    I’m sure with some counseling you’ll come to forgive Pearl Jam. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:
    I was very excited to to crank this new album on my way home from work yesterday. It started out great with Who Ever Said and I was loving it up thorough Quick Escape then it quickly went downhill. I kept waiting for the next song to bring it back but that didn’t happen.  Ive listened to it now multiple times trying to like it but I just don’t. I personally put this as their worse album and it sounds more of an Ed solo album than a full band effort in my opinion. 
    Agree with you it’s too bad they keep doing this (last 3 albums so disappointing) I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did, beck we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that. After Backspacer and  bolt he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I’m not there yet but getting real close.
    Is there a reason why your friend can’t like Pearl Jam and U2 at the same time?  Why the need to declare you’re dropping one band and picking up another?  Sounds made up. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Darth Lizard KingDarth Lizard King Posts: 82
    edited March 2020
    Post deleted
    Please see the Posting Guidelines.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    No one cares
    Says the person hoping the band reads these boards and will call him tonight to read a bedtime story and serve him milk and cookies.
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Firstly, you need to add ‘IMO’ to your thread title. People don’t take kindly to opinions being stated as facts round here.

Secondly... you’re very, very wrong!  =)

IMO, of course 
    LoL. "People don't take kindly." So says the self-declared gatekeeper of PJ message boards. So, so sad. And by the way - you never state "in my opinion" when giving an opinion because it sounds like an apology. You should always state your opinions as facts.
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    goldrush said:
    Firstly, you need to add ‘IMO’ to your thread title. People don’t take kindly to opinions being stated as facts round here.

IMO, of course 
    LoL. "People don't take kindly." So says the self-declared gatekeeper of PJ message boards. So, so sad. And by the way - you never state "in my opinion" when giving an opinion because it sounds like an apology. You should always state your opinions as facts.
    Hah. The OP literally started this post with “I’m sorry...”
  • Options
    goldrush said:

IMO, of course 
    And by the way - you never state "in my opinion" when giving an opinion because it sounds like an apology. You should always state your opinions as facts.
    I didn’t know Trump was in the 10 Club. 

• Options
    goldrush said:

IMO, of course 
    Dude, with all due respect every single post you are making the past few weeks have been purely argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.  Do you even have any interest in the music of PJ or do you like paying for a fan club membership to ignore any music and purely just start arguments?
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,309
    goldrush said:

IMO, of course 
    I don’t understand any of this post. Not sure who the “self-declared gatekeeper” is supposed to be?

Chill, it was a joke.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    Has anyone else noticed that Mike McCready is a genius? He and the rest of the band are insane on this album.  
    Honestly haven't listened to the lyrics.  Headphones on and hearing the groove and love this band!  I'm going to enjoy what they have laid out for a long time.  Can't ask for more.
    Thank you for your hard work.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    vito said:
    STFU and go away 2 different threads trying to prove a point that 90% of the critics and fans absolutely disagree with you on. Mods delete one or both of these identical threads by the same look at me, look at me idiot!
    The 2nd thread was a mistake. My phone was messing up and I hit the post discussion button twice thinking it didn’t go through. My deepest apologies!! 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,925
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:
    Agree with you it’s too bad they keep doing this (last 3 albums so disappointing) I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did, beck we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that. After Backspacer and  bolt he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I’m not there yet but getting real close.
    So, your friend doesn't like a couple albums in a row and then decides to spend $400 on U2 tickets?  That's kinda weird.  I was certainly not a huge fan of LB and Backspacer either, but I wouldn't never stop seeing the band live.  There are/were 8 other albums worth of music.

Sorry you don't like the album.  It has to be frustrating waiting for 7 years and it not living up to your expectations. Hopefully you'll find some stuff you like. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:
    Weird post....gee PJ...you would have got that $400 if you would have put out a better album
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,118
    vedpunk said:
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:
    Please do us all a favor and leave.  
    Lay of the pointless attitude.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    cincybearcat said:
     it gets a bit long with the slow songs at the end.

comes then goes is meh
    retrograde is less than meh
    river cross is pretty solid but after the other 2 becomes meh  
    This is right now where I am. 

Always happy to spin it again though. So far.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    vito said:
    STFU and go away 2 different threads trying to prove a point that 90% of the critics and fans absolutely disagree with you on. Mods delete one or both of these identical threads by the same look at me, look at me idiot!
    What is your problem? Cabin fever from social isolation?
  • Options
    CridderCridder Posts: 165
    Elvis is the King!!!
  • Options
    CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 365
    Who ever said Gigaton sucks gave up on satisfaction 
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,695
    KC138045 said:
    No one cares
    Says the person hoping the band reads these boards and will call him tonight to read a bedtime story and serve him milk and cookies.
    What? Great comeback. You really stung me. Guys, we got a troll with some real wit on here. STFU.
  • Options
    We are living in a world where grown up fans can't take that other fans have different opinions on the subjective thing that is music.

Think about that for a second.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,834
    We are living in a world where grown up fans can't take that other fans have different opinions on the subjective thing that is music.

Think about that for a second.
    It’s weird.