Options

I’m Sorry But Gigaton Is A Major Dissapointment

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I heard on the news this morning that not liking this album is a symptom of covid19
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,972

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,677
    I think it’s just a reaction when the OP could have posted their review in the existing review thread but found the need to be a real troll and start a new thread to just piss people off. The guy wanted a reaction and they got it. Just a troll with nothing better to do.
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,000
    I think it’s just a reaction when the OP could have posted their review in the existing review thread but found the need to be a real troll and start a new thread to just piss people off. The guy wanted a reaction and they got it. Just a troll with nothing better to do.
    Agreed, it’s a troll job and everyone is feeding into it. Who cares about one dudes opinion of the album. If everyone else enjoys, go enjoy it. 
  • Options
    No way. If he wanted to be a troll he would have started this thread  a minimum of 3 times.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Hawk123 said:
    Agreed, it’s a troll job and everyone is feeding into it. Who cares about one dudes opinion of the album. If everyone else enjoys, go enjoy it. 
    In what way is he a troll? He expressed his opinion, and did so in X sentences stating his opinion. 

If that is trolling. Then so is every opinion ever by any poster on here about the album.

Don't be so over precious. This isn't the SEGA vs NINTENDO fight of the 90s. And you are not 12 years old.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Hawk123 said:
    In what way is he a troll? He expressed his opinion, and did so in X sentences stating his opinion. 

If that is trolling. Then so is every opinion ever by any poster on here about the album.

Don't be so over precious. This isn't the SEGA vs NINTENDO fight of the 90s. And you are not 12 years old.
    Because he made a separate thread instead of using the fanviews, and not one but two.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    mace1229 said:
    I heard on the news this morning that not liking this album is a symptom of covid19
    Ha! I was actually going to mention that hearing must now be affected as well.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Hawk123 said:
    Hawk123 said:

Because he made a separate thread instead of using the fanviews, and not one but two.
    75% of fans make seperate threads for any topic regarding this band. Whether it's tickets, new music or whatever. Trigger happyness and/or wanting your opinion out there isn't something new on here, and doesn't equate to trolling.

Chill, playing both Sonic and Mario is okey.

And Gigaton isn't a familymember to you that the OP has offended. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Hawk123 said:
    Hawk123 said:

75% of fans make seperate threads for any topic regarding this band. Whether it's tickets, new music or whatever. Trigger happyness and/or wanting your opinion out there isn't something new on here, and doesn't equate to trolling.

Fair point, opinions are all good, enjoy your day. 
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Hawk123 said:
    Hawk123 said:

Lots of quarantine time for people to post separate threads for each song on the album.  What’s next, threads for chorus lines??  Some of the songs are good, some bad.  Everyone has an opinion.  
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Hawk123 said:

No, I’m right but thanks for playing.
  • Options
    I think someone should start a “Gigaton is just OK” thread.
    not that I agree, but that way we can cover all bases in separate threads.
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 923
    Brian Fallon's lp is also fab I have to say. Was also out on Friday. Hes a great songwriter.  8 songs on it

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    mace1229 said:
    I think someone should start a “Gigaton is just OK” thread.
    not that I agree, but that way we can cover all bases in separate threads.

2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    Arguing over whether it is ok for the OP to create a separate thread is kinda silly. I wouldn’t have been reading what he posted unless it was right at the top. The only way I view the forum is by going to Recent Discussions every time. I don’t spend my life on here and know all the etiquette but it is one of the few sites I visit daily. 

The magic of the early records is they captured lightning in a bottle.  Obviously the original songs are classics. The song writing on the first 5 records is great. Most of us became fans in the early years and were along for the ride as their style expanded. The first record that felt stale to me was Avacado. The Brendan O’Brien remix breathed much needed life into it. 

I think Josh Evans did a great job with this record capturing a lot of takes and moments that give these new songs life. DOTC is great, love who ever said and quick escape. (That meme above is hilarious.) These songs don’t sound overly rehearsed or stale on Gigaton. Like the song a lot but not sure why there are so many words crammed into the verses of 7 o’clock.  At least the verses have life to them (it sounds like an early take of the vocals that wasn’t already sung over and over to get perfectly right). Never destination to me feels like a stage rocker similar to Lightning Bolt that they will have fun playing live. Take the long way is cool. Just would like another louder more powerful song somewhere near the back end of the record. I don’t have the patience to get through River Cross. Seems a little self indulgent. Like retrograde. All in all I like gigaton for me is their best since riot act. Funny how now songs like Green Disease which weren’t the highlight of the album back then now feel like amazing PJ songs when looking back over the last 18 years. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,425
    eboweddie said:
    Brian Fallon's lp is also fab I have to say. Was also out on Friday. Hes a great songwriter.  8 songs on it
    Here’s a proper take.  Love Brian and excited to see him on tour once things get back to normal.  😀
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Gigaton will find a place in this drawer!!! When i get it. I love it. 

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    CO278952 said:
    Arguing over whether it is ok for the OP to create a separate thread is kinda silly. I wouldn’t have been reading what he posted unless it was right at the top. The only way I view the forum is by going to Recent Discussions every time. I don’t spend my life on here and know all the etiquette but it is one of the few sites I visit daily. 

The magic of the early records is they captured lightning in a bottle.  Obviously the original songs are classics. The song writing on the first 5 records is great. Most of us became fans in the early years and were along for the ride as their style expanded. The first record that felt stale to me was Avacado. The Brendan O’Brien remix breathed much needed life into it. 

I think Josh Evans did a great job with this record capturing a lot of takes and moments that give these new songs life. DOTC is great, love who ever said and quick escape. (That meme above is hilarious.) These songs don’t sound overly rehearsed or stale on Gigaton. Like the song a lot but not sure why there are so many words crammed into the verses of 7 o’clock.  At least the verses have life to them (it sounds like an early take of the vocals that wasn’t already sung over and over to get perfectly right). Never destination to me feels like a stage rocker similar to Lightning Bolt that they will have fun playing live. Take the long way is cool. Just would like another louder more powerful song somewhere near the back end of the record. I don’t have the patience to get through River Cross. Seems a little self indulgent. Like retrograde. All in all I like gigaton for me is their best since riot act. Funny how now songs like Green Disease which weren’t the highlight of the album back then now feel like amazing PJ songs when looking back over the last 18 years. 
    That’s not because Green Disease is a great song, it’s because the songs after it were just not great (on the average, save for a couple of standout tracks on each album)
  • Options
    JDime20JDime20 Posts: 192
    Why start a new thread just to put it down? There are plenty of others already started to state your opinion in. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Hawk123 said:

• Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Ok. To each their own. The liner notes are littered with the band members doing all sorts of things. Changing up instruments, composing the music and/or lyrics...you can hear various members on backing vocals.
    I’m thrilled and have been exclusively playing this. So many sounds and the lyrics are really punching hard! 
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    KN219077 said:
    CO278952 said:

That’s not because Green Disease is a great song, it’s because the songs after it were just not great (on the average, save for a couple of standout tracks on each album)
    That’s part of it but it is also a bit of nostalgia for 2003 PJ. Kind of like when I told Alexa to play PJ the other night in the kids room and Dissident came on and I realized there is no way anything new this band does will satisfy their fans like the purely magical early songs they latched onto when they became fans.  
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,973
    eboweddie said:
    Gigaton will find a place in this drawer!!! When i get it. I love it. 
    Umm, where is your copy of Self Titled? Have to have them all to be a TRUE fan!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    KC138045 said:
    I was very excited to to crank this new album on my way home from work yesterday. It started out great with Who Ever Said and I was loving it up thorough Quick Escape then it quickly went downhill. I kept waiting for the next song to bring it back but that didn’t happen.  Ive listened to it now multiple times trying to like it but I just don’t. I personally put this as their worse album and it sounds more of an Ed solo album than a full band effort in my opinion. 
    You said that u instantly loved the first third of the album.  If some of the middle and  back grows on you seems like it wont end up being a huge disappointment overall.  Seven Oclock by the way is my favorite PJ song since MITS.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,754
    edited March 2020
    JDime20 said:
    Why start a new thread just to put it down? There are plenty of others already started to state your opinion in. 
    Why start a new thread to say it’s great? Or that it sounds just like PJ? Cmon 
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    CO278952 said:
    KN219077 said:
    CO278952 said:

That’s part of it but it is also a bit of nostalgia for 2003 PJ. Kind of like when I told Alexa to play PJ the other night in the kids room and Dissident came on and I realized there is no way anything new this band does will satisfy their fans like the purely magical early songs they latched onto when they became fans.  
    I get nastolgia for sure, but as someone that came in late to the pj game, there’s no way that anything on the last few albums compares to stuff like present tense, in hiding, light years, etc. The band has moved toward adult contemporary in the backspacer/lb albums. Luckily Gigaton sees them moving away from that trend, save for a couple songs like retrograde
  • Options
    I have it in the car!!!! 

• Options
    Hawk123 said:

Now that’s funny. But again, I’m still right. Thanks Becky!
  • Options
    At least hopefully you are pleased that Can’t Deny Me was left off