Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Going to the grocery store tomorrow for the first time in a couple of weeks. Going to wake up early and hit the Price Chopper that most people in our part of KC don't even realize is there b/c it's new. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Horos said:
    Local supermarkets have taken to limiting the number of shoppers so now you have to wait in line to enter the store.

will be coming here soon.
    DeWine said that is Monday.  Mom told me it was coming.  She said that bored people were congregating in Walmart and hanging for hours.  (She watches the news.  I don't anymore.)  I'm sure that isn't the only store.  Still . . . get in, get what you need and get out.  It isn't time to play.  

They have talked about shutting parks down for the very same reason.  The park district my husband works for has a limited number of parks open and people had a fit.  For them, they have a very small staff who fell ill (not COVID, but influenza) half at the same time, causing an intense strain on maintenance staff with extra cleaning of bathrooms and whatnot.  

Did you see that Cleveland Metroparks have been closing down roads to give people more ample space to ride/walk while maintaining proper distance?  
    NYC has closed down streets too so people can walk freely.  They have closed down parks though because people still aren't taking this seriously.

I was in Harlem yesterday and for the most part people are adhering to the distancing but it's the select few that I saw that will ruin it for everyone else.

NYC closed parks because of the above reason.

I would imagine how hard it is for let's say 500 people living in an apartment building and wanting to get out but they need to do better.

Imagine when 20 people get stir crazy and want to take the elevator?
    I could not imagine. I am claustrophobic on a regular day with a hefty dose of germaphobia.  No thank you. 

Had to run to the pharmacy. The pharmacy is in a grocery store. I wore a mask, but because I always cough from either allergies or reactive airway, all involved would be happier that I wore it. 

Y'all, I hauled through that store on a mission. Had to get PB for my husband, floor cleaner and because there was TP (limited, but two kinds to choose from) I grabbed one 4 pack. Cashed out at the pharmacy which has suspended having to sign for anything. Probably half of the people in the store, including some coworkers, were wearing masks. 

My Instacart order, due to arrive today, has slowly moved. The approximate delivery now is Monday night. It's not like we won't be here, but hoping it comes before Easter. I'd love to have my Easter ham, please. :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Finally scored some toilet paper.  Woke up super early and got to the store right as it opened.  Was down to 2-3 rolls left.  Crazy how fast you go through stuff with everyone at home all day.  
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Finally scored some toilet paper.  Woke up super early and got to the store right as it opened.  Was down to 2-3 rolls left.  Crazy how fast you go through stuff with everyone at home all day.  
    No kidding. I asked my husband if he could take off with a few rolls from work before hauling out the door. ;)
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945
    Went out early this morning to my local grocery store. Shelves were abut half full. There was a few things i wanted that they didn't have though. Nothing major.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

Hooray. I think what I was looking at was the next shopping time slot. We do have Friday afternoon!!!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,647
    Go Sachae P!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Go Sachae P!
    It was originally Fred. I think my order wore him out. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,647
    Fred's too sexy for your groceries
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    Fred's too sexy for your groceries
    Right said!
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    Went to try and get a few things from Trader Joes.  
    Monster nope  Godzilla Memes Nope
    Line was all throughout the parking lot.  They were all keeping their distance and limiting the amount of people to go in but seeing that crowd?

NOPE!

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    Line was all throughout the parking lot.  They were all keeping their distance and limiting the amount of people to go in but seeing that crowd?

NOPE!

Agreed. I went to Whole Foods the other day and felt ok. They have relatively big aisles and it wasn't super crowded. There were only two of us waiting to be checked out. But there are things I wanted to get at my local grocery store in the East Village. This store has aisles so small that in the best of times you have to pull over so someone can get by you. The automated checkout machines are all crammed together. I was getting nervous even thinking about going there. So, for the first time today I ordered through them with Instacart. It won't be delivered until Monday night - which is fine. Anything to keep me out of that small space that would make me like I was entering the 9th circle of hell. I am with you - NOPE!!!

• Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054

NYC has closed down streets too so people can walk freely.  They have closed down parks though because people still aren't taking this seriously.

I was in Harlem yesterday and for the most part people are adhering to the distancing but it's the select few that I saw that will ruin it for everyone else.

NYC closed parks because of the above reason.

I would imagine how hard it is for let's say 500 people living in an apartment building and wanting to get out but they need to do better.

Imagine when 20 people get stir crazy and want to take the elevator?
    My building posted signs 1/2 weeks ago. Unless you are with the same group, only one at a time in the elevators, “wait for the next one” the posted sign reads....
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    MF117973 said:

NOPE!

Agreed. I went to Whole Foods the other day and felt ok. They have relatively big aisles and it wasn't super crowded. There were only two of us waiting to be checked out. But there are things I wanted to get at my local grocery store in the East Village. This store has aisles so small that in the best of times you have to pull over so someone can get by you. The automated checkout machines are all crammed together. I was getting nervous even thinking about going there. So, for the first time today I ordered through them with Instacart. It won't be delivered until Monday night - which is fine. Anything to keep me out of that small space that would make me like I was entering the 9th circle of hell. I am with you - NOPE!!!

Our local grocery has made the aisles one way only by laying out arrows on the floor.  They also limit how many people can be in the store at one time.  They’ve also laid out marks indicating where to stand at each checkout along with plexi-glass barriers in front of the cashier.  If you bring your own bags you have to pack them yourself, otherwise they pack your groceries in paper bags.  Overall, very impressed.  My only complaint is trying to order online.  They currently only offers pick-up/delivery times one week at a time, in line with the flyer drop.  I haven’t yet been able to take advantage of that as they’re full up minutes after.  Venturing out today.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Here in Los Angeles, most grocery stores have a system where they only allow so many people in at once.  This helps people keep their distance from one another, and lessens the crowds inside the store.  As a result, people have to wait outside for a bit before they get in.
  • Options
    My Instacart experience was fine.  I did learn a few things so I will share them with you.  
    1.  I will do it again.  
    2.  I learned to specify either a replacement or no substitution on EACH item.  Why?  
    Substituted with permission:
    - Mozzarella cheese sticks instead of colby jack. 
    - Family pack chicken breast instead of smaller pack. 
    Asked but rejected:
    - The Aldi version of Scott tissue instead of the Aldi Angel Soft version.  Oh, I do not need to be wiping with one ply thankyouverymuch.  I grabbed a 4 pack at the grocery earlier when I ran to the pharmacy.  We'll be fine. 
    Substituted on her own:
    - Mini yellow potatoes instead of full sized Yukons.  These will be fine for Easter and I did order a separate bag of baking potatoes for my husband.  I also had a bag of Yukons set aside cellar-style in our basement, so we were covered for standard potatoes.  
    - 2% Lactose Free milk instead of the fat free.  This wouldn't seem like a big deal except for the last 2% Lactose Free didn't do so well with my lactose sensitive child.  However, I explained to K that it is just a lil fat and it is still free of lactose.  Let's give this another roll. 
    - HIGH pulp orange juice instead of NO pulp orange juice.  K was willing to strain her orange juice, but my FIL told her that he would trade her.  We added no pulp to their grocery order and we'll trade up on Tuesday.  K isn't so much for chewing her OJ.  
    - Full sized pack of 3 rainbow color peppers instead of the lil bag of minis.  I was able to reject this one before she cashed out.  I like the minis because I am the only one who eats them.  I can work on the bag for 3-4 weeks and all is well.  Full sized peppers don't work out as well.  
    Shopper rejected because of no substitution specification:
    - Provolone cheese.  They didn't have any.  Money refunded.  
    Will not buy again:
    - Bananas.  We had to toss a few because one split in transit and one already looked like it had been split for a while.  They were bruised and kind of hedging toward too ripe for us.  Despite telling them what we like, my guess is that maybe this is what they had.  I told my husband that he will have to go without. 
    Happy surprise:
    - Artisan lettuce.  My husband eats spring mix (ewwww) and this was as close as I could get.  We ordered two.  There are 4 small heads in each container and boy howdy do they fluff up!  He said that it was absolutely delicious.  I told him I was glad because he has about 4 of his standard boxes worth of lettuce to eat. 

There were only a few things that they did not have.  We ran into a limit of 2 dozen eggs, so I added two dozen to my in-laws Giant Eagle order for Tuesday.  

She was very communicative as she shopped.  I left bins in the driveway for her to drop the groceries.  She was lovely and I thanked her profusely.  As I wiped down each item and shuffled between my parent's items and ours, I am sure that I gave the neighborhood much needed entertainment.  
  • Options
    Hahaha.  Well done, lots of learning.  (And, food)
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thanks for that! I just placed an Instacart order for Wednesday evening. Fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    My sister-in-law sent this to me yesterday.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    My sister-in-law sent this to me yesterday.

Hopefully you had a mask on your naughty bits...
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    edited April 2020
    I did a search for a Item to see if they had it in stock and it tooK me to this page. You see, its just not Ticketmaster>LOL

ShopRite

You Are Now In Line

The demand for online grocery shopping has increased significantly. You are now in line for ShopRite.com.When it's your turn, you will have 10 minutes to enter the website.Please bear with us as we are doing our best to serve you in a timely manner.Thank you for your patience & understanding.

Expected arrival time on the website: MORE THEN A HOUR

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    cutz said:
    I did a search for a Item to see if they had it in stock and it tooK me to this page. You see, its just not Ticketmaster>LOL

ShopRite

You Are Now In Line

The demand for online grocery shopping has increased significantly. You are now in line for ShopRite.com.

When it's your turn, you will have 10 minutes to enter the website.

Please bear with us as we are doing our best to serve you in a timely manner.

Thank you for your patience & understanding.

Supply and demand 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,758
    cutz said:

ShopRite

You Are Now In Line

The demand for online grocery shopping has increased significantly. You are now in line for ShopRite.com.When it's your turn, you will have 10 minutes to enter the website.Please bear with us as we are doing our best to serve you in a timely manner.Thank you for your patience & understanding.

Sorry to hear that! 

This is a reminder to me to not feel too frustrated about having to wait a week for my next e-cart food pick up-- at least I didn't have to wait an hour to place the order... not yet anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I don't mind going to the grocery store rather than ordering online. I just got back from my local Fresh Market. It's a small chain that mostly carries fresh produce, a butcher counter, and maybe six aisles of pantry/specialty items along with an old fashioned bulk section of candy and nuts, etc. The prices are already kind of ridiculous but they do have good "Meal Deals" so I usually take advantage of those and pick up whatever else I need. It's never crowded and pretty much fully stocked every time I go. The store is always clean and pretty and they play relaxing classical music while you shop. They've instituted a new cart routine lately. You pick up a sanitized cart when you walk in and then drop your used cart into a marked off area to be cleaned for the next person.
    While I was loading up my car in the parking lot, I overheard some employees on break outside stirring up talk about a "strike." I didn't get all the details, but the youngest and loudest in the group appeared to be super stressed out over all this. I heard someone on NPR this morning talking about how we may as a society rethink the way we treat these essential workers in the future. 
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    I was trying to order from Amazon Fresh.....they let you fill your cart, but you then need to find an open delivery slot.  F5-ing for groceries....who woulda thought?
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I was trying to order from Amazon Fresh.....they let you fill your cart, but you then need to find an open delivery slot.  F5-ing for groceries....who woulda thought?
    They update their days/hours at 4:00 a.m.- was setting my alarm for 3:55. Only got lucky once. I’ve had better luck with Whole Foods Market. Still need to refresh, but I’ve gotten time slots 2 days in a row! It’s my entertainment- you can see on a map how many stops away the truck is....
  • Options
    cutz said:

ShopRite

You Are Now In Line

The demand for online grocery shopping has increased significantly. You are now in line for ShopRite.com.

Supply and demand 
    Yes, and they don't want to go to the Grocery Store. I understand.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:

ShopRite

You Are Now In Line

Sorry to hear that! 

This is a reminder to me to not feel too frustrated about having to wait a week for my next e-cart food pick up-- at least I didn't have to wait an hour to place the order... not yet anyway.
    Thanks.

It was actually a 2 hour wait. When I selected a time for Store pickup they had NONE for the next 7 days, and that's as far back as the website goes. I  then  selected Delivery to my house and had NO delivery dates for 5 days, and again, that's as far back as they go on the website.  I'll try somewhere else tomorrow.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:

ShopRite

You Are Now In Line

Sorry to hear that! 

Thanks.

It was actually a 2 hour wait. When I selected a time for Store pickup they had NONE for the next 7 days, and that's as far back as the website goes. I  then  selected Delivery to my house and had NO delivery dates for 5 days, and again, that's as far back as they go on the website.  I'll try somewhere else tomorrow.
    Wow. Who would have thought that we would all be going through this. I feel lucky that when I ordered groceries on Friday they gave me a Monday night delivery. Now I am thinking I better reorder cat food. My cat is on a prescription food that I get from Chewy’s online. I have enough cans right now for two weeks. But who knows how long delivery could take. Talk about planning ahead...
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:

ShopRite

You Are Now In Line

Sorry to hear that! 

Thanks.

Wow. Who would have thought that we would all be going through this. I feel lucky that when I ordered groceries on Friday they gave me a Monday night delivery. Now I am thinking I better reorder cat food. My cat is on a prescription food that I get from Chewy’s online. I have enough cans right now for two weeks. But who knows how long delivery could take. Talk about planning ahead...
    Chewy has been really good with delivering through this.  No problems so far.