Spring NA Tour Officially Postponed

1232425262729»

Comments

• rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    I’m going to guess that it takes longer than a few hours to set up an arena concert. Maybe not?
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    vedpunk said:
    ComeToTX said:
    There's a big difference between letting us out of our houses and allowing 20,000 people to gather at a concert.  All the rescheduled dates I've gotten for other bands I take with a grain of salt.  They have no idea and neither does anyone else.  Until we lower the curve, have a reliable treatment or a vaccine it's all a guessing game.

I think bands are rescheduling dates because they've already sold tickets and don't want to refund a shit ton of money.
    No one can predict the future but there are going to be a lot of concerts, sports and other events fighting for arena holds in the fall if this virus is taken care of.  I’m guessing bands that rescheduled shows later in the year probably just wanted to be first in line.
    Sports won't be fighting for anything. They have first pick of all dates. Everything else has to work around their schedules. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
    edited April 2020
    Can you imagine if they put on a live web concert so you could watch from home, hook up to your stereo and rock out with beverage in hand and bathroom nearby.  If they charged $10-20 bucks a head they could make a killing.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    D-Rod said:

Yea I would bet a lot of money that these dates will need to be re-rescheduled. There is no chance that there will be concerts or sporting events of any kind until there is a vaccine. So, we are looking at Summer 2021 in my opinion. Sad. But inescapable. 
    The worse case scenario (aside from the vaccine not working) is your best case scenario? 
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,907
    PJNB said:
    D-Rod said:

Yea I would bet a lot of money that these dates will need to be re-rescheduled. There is no chance that there will be concerts or sporting events of any kind until there is a vaccine. So, we are looking at Summer 2021 in my opinion. Sad. But inescapable. 
    The worse case scenario (aside from the vaccine not working) is your best case scenario? 
    I’m with PJNB on this one.  The models are showing 3 months at home.  October is 3 additional months after that.  I’m not saying I would bet any money on the October happening, but I’m prepared to place some hope in it.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 618
    D-Rod said:

There's no guarantee a vaccine is ready anytime soon and those thinking that's how this all ends are delusional. It's a nice thought that some magical vaccination shows up on your door step next February but not remotely realistic. Mitigation along with a likely slower rate of infection in the summer and multiple antivirals which could be available shortly are how we get back to mass gatherings. If antivirals along with ample testing push the mortality rate to well under 1% things will return to normal. Honestly the mortality rate is probably already way under 1% when you account for the fact that most scientist believe we have accounted for less than 10% of the total cases. I believe by August we'll have a pretty good handle on things, possibly even sooner but that's just my opinion. 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    edited April 2020
    You just can't predict at what point people are going to be comfortable going into a building with 20,000 other people.  And didn't Dr. Fauci say something about another wave of this thing coming in the fall? I think scheduling dates for that time frame is risky.  I understand why bands want to do it, and I'll hold onto my MSG tickets (or keep them in my TM account) until they take them away from me.  But I'm not optimistic.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    It's all rank speculation at this point. When the experts have sufficient data, we'll get an idea of when it might be safe to resume 20,000-person gatherings.
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,835
    vedpunk said:
    ComeToTX said:
    There's a big difference between letting us out of our houses and allowing 20,000 people to gather at a concert.  All the rescheduled dates I've gotten for other bands I take with a grain of salt.  They have no idea and neither does anyone else.  Until we lower the curve, have a reliable treatment or a vaccine it's all a guessing game.

I think bands are rescheduling dates because they've already sold tickets and don't want to refund a shit ton of money.
    No one can predict the future but there are going to be a lot of concerts, sports and other events fighting for arena holds in the fall if this virus is taken care of.  I’m guessing bands that rescheduled shows later in the year probably just wanted to be first in line.
    Sports won't be fighting for anything. They have first pick of all dates. Everything else has to work around their schedules. 
    Most arenas make more money off concerts and shows then sporting events.  Especially the NHL.  25 out of 31 hockey teams are lost leaders.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,835
    D-Rod said:

There's no guarantee a vaccine is ready anytime soon and those thinking that's how this all ends are delusional. It's a nice thought that some magical vaccination shows up on your door step next February but not remotely realistic. Mitigation along with a likely slower rate of infection in the summer and multiple antivirals which could be available shortly are how we get back to mass gatherings. If antivirals along with ample testing push the mortality rate to well under 1% things will return to normal. Honestly the mortality rate is probably already way under 1% when you account for the fact that most scientist believe we have accounted for less than 10% of the total cases. I believe by August we'll have a pretty good handle on things, possibly even sooner but that's just my opinion. 
    I agree, number of confirmed cases isn’t the barometer we should use.  Many people are walking around with minor symptoms and not being reported.  
        If your emergency rooms and morgues are overloaded then your in big trouble.   That is simply my opinion.  I’m not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.  I did wear hospital pants when I was in college.  Does that count?  If was fashionable in the late 90’s. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    edited April 2020
    D-Rod said:

Unfortunately, I pray that I’m wrong but I can only see things this way.  Concerts/sports won’t be taking place until well into 2021.  Again, pray I’m wrong.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,760
    The study from Iceland shows almost half have no symptoms. To find out who’s spreading it we need to find out who has it, like S. Korea. Unfortunately we’re governed by complete idiots, so we’ll likely be dealing with this longer than many places. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Jim TresselJim Tressel Posts: 133
    Deadman said:
    D-Rod said:

Unfortunately, I pray that I’m wrong but I can only see things this way.  Concerts/sports won’t be taking place until well into 2021.  Again, pray I’m wrong.
    Under this theory, schools won't be open until well into 2021 as well. That is why we will have to learn to "live" with it until there is a vaccine. 
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 542
    Deadman said:
    D-Rod said:

Under this theory, schools won't be open until well into 2021 as well. That is why we will have to learn to "live" with it until there is a vaccine. 
    Not saying I disagree with this one bit. We all need to get used to this new normal. But governments may go bankrupt if this stuff lasts a year. If we keep doing the stimulus plans in place. I’m applying for 2 months of funding for my business payroll (PPP loan). Not sure how many times the government can afford to offer that. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    DM282158 said:
    Deadman said:
    D-Rod said:

Not saying I disagree with this one bit. We all need to get used to this new normal. But governments may go bankrupt if this stuff lasts a year. If we keep doing the stimulus plans in place. I’m applying for 2 months of funding for my business payroll (PPP loan). Not sure how many times the government can afford to offer that. 
    That's how I'm feeling about it too.   People discard the "trump supporter" argument of the damage staying at home does to the economy.    It might be a little cold, the economy vs. lives argument, but they aren't 100% wrong.   If everyone's staying at home, then no one is pulling in cash flow.   Government is floating a big chunk of the boat just to keep things rolling.  I think they can only pull off for a few months.   The cost of paying everyone to stay at home will get to be too much.   Society isn't really designed for everyone to stay at home.

I guess the question is what will happen if this thing isn't licked,.  What's the breaking point of people not paying their bills, losing jobs, and business closing before people get frustrated and decide to go back.

It's the tough thing with the flatten the curve approach.   No one really put's an estimate of what that looks like, if successful, how long would people need to say in isolation.  Maybe because it's not a great answer.
  • mcdevittpbmcdevittpb Posts: 220
    Zod said:
    DM282158 said:
    Deadman said:
    D-Rod said:

That's how I'm feeling about it too.   People discard the "trump supporter" argument of the damage staying at home does to the economy.    It might be a little cold, the economy vs. lives argument, but they aren't 100% wrong.   If everyone's staying at home, then no one is pulling in cash flow.   Government is floating a big chunk of the boat just to keep things rolling.  I think they can only pull off for a few months.   The cost of paying everyone to stay at home will get to be too much.   Society isn't really designed for everyone to stay at home.

I guess the question is what will happen if this thing isn't licked,.  What's the breaking point of people not paying their bills, losing jobs, and business closing before people get frustrated and decide to go back.

It's the tough thing with the flatten the curve approach.   No one really put's an estimate of what that looks like, if successful, how long would people need to say in isolation.  Maybe because it's not a great answer.
    The flu, influenza, kills 20,000 on average every year.  Most people don’t realize this.  The thing about this virus is it’s new.  Scientists are still learning and a vaccine is in development.  The majority of folks that get Covid 19 have flu like symptoms and recover from it. Like the flu, it’s a virus and can’t be killed with antibiotics. You have to fight it off, like everyone does with influenza.  We can’t be shut down forever. The economy has to open back up.  The new normal will include us all practicing common sense social distancing and good hygiene- ie. washing hands frequently etc. We need to get back to life - with a new normal. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Zod said:
    DM282158 said:
    Deadman said:
    D-Rod said:

The flu, influenza, kills 20,000 on average every year.  Most people don’t realize this.  The thing about this virus is it’s new.  Scientists are still learning and a vaccine is in development.  The majority of folks that get Covid 19 have flu like symptoms and recover from it. Like the flu, it’s a virus and can’t be killed with antibiotics. You have to fight it off, like everyone does with influenza.  We can’t be shut down forever. The economy has to open back up.  The new normal will include us all practicing common sense social distancing and good hygiene- ie. washing hands frequently etc. We need to get back to life - with a new normal. 
    Yup, at some point we do. You're not suggesting that now is the time to get back to a new normal are you? We still haven't even peaked, so loosing restrictions on social distancing would only cause this thing to increase in ferocity. We're a ways out from getting back to any sort of normal. What we're currently doing is what I consider the new normal, and it is going to be the norm for several more weeks at the very least.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    vedpunk said:
    Can you imagine if they put on a live web concert so you could watch from home, hook up to your stereo and rock out with beverage in hand and bathroom nearby.  If they charged $10-20 bucks a head they could make a killing.
    It would be awesome, on the other hand shouldn't the band be socially distancing form each other?  We don't want to lose a band member to this thing :)
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    The flu does not overload hospitals and ICU's. Car accidents do not overload hospitals and ICU's.  We have to shelter in place, to avoid hospitals getting overloaded.  When hospitals are overloaded with COVID-19 cases, that means that not only do THOSE people suffer for lack of care and equipment, but OTHER people suffer as well, heart attack patients, cancer patients, other respiratory patients, etc. 

We MUST stay away from each other, even knowing that SOME people will get it.  But it stops hospitals from being overloaded. 

My guess is, we will have to tackle this in waves of shelter in place, until everyone is immune either through contact or through a vaccine. 

I am not expecting schools to go back in session next year, nor do I expect sports or concerts until at least 2021. 

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Point being...we will have shelter in place until a certain point....then try to go back to some sort of normalcy for a few months, then more outbreaks happen, and we will have to flatten the curve all over again.  

Until a vaccine or we are all immune from contact.  Meaning....we need testing, vaccines, asap. 

It took decades to eradicate polio.  We know more now, so hoping it does not take that long. 

And I am hoping that somehow most of us have it/had it and had mild symptoms, and i hope they develop an antibody test so that lets us know if we are immune from it. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    Zod said:
    DM282158 said:
    Deadman said:
    D-Rod said:

I realize the flu kills people every year, but I think people use that argument to under emphasize what's going on.   Like the flu killed this many people, Coronavirus has only done this kind of thing.  Except it seems Coronavirus is just getting started.   It's numbers aren't done yet.   It seems really hard too.  It's all over the map on how much it's impacting people.  Some people get no symptoms, some people get mild symptoms, some people have bad symptoms, and some people have severe issues.   It's hitting the older harder, but it's impacting some young folks as well.   Where the outbreaks haven't been well contained hospitals are at or passed capacity.   In a way that the flu doesn't really do.

I feel the Coronavirus is worse than the flu but not anything like an ebola, smallpox, etc.....    It seems much more contagious than the flu, which means more people, more problems.  

I also agree on the economic argument.   They can only keep things closed for song long.   If the only plan is flatten the curve so we have small growth for an indefinite amount of time.  Somethings going to give.  

Personally, I have Asthma (at least it's mild).   This seems to put me more in the at risk category.  Still, there's that part of me that just wants to get it done and over with... sigh.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,760
    We’ll never control it if we don’t test and track like South Korea. We’re flying blind right now and just reacting. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    ComeToTX said:
    We’ll never control it if we don’t test and track like South Korea. We’re flying blind right now and just reacting. 
    I agree. The hospitals being overwhelmed and deaths will be our guide sadly. 
    ComeToTX said:
    Definitely.  If the goal is to get to zero cases you need to test a lot, and when you find someone that has it, test everyone they've been around and try to isolate that branch of it.

I guess countries that lick it first are going to have issues.  They'll be able to fire back up, but they won't be able to let anyone travel in/out as it runs risk of sparking it up again.