Spring NA Tour Officially Postponed

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    edited March 2020
    PJNB said:
    Unless you are out a bunch of $$ on this, why would anyone be so angry?  Over a concert that is more than likely going to be rescheduled?  People need to get a grip.
    For me its like this. 

Money lost
    Blowing some prime vacation picks at my work to secure dates in March
    Family arrangements with family members who made arrangements from their work that are going to be hard to change 
    Not able to make the fall tour due to no vacation allowed at my job from Sep to Dec.
    Being hyped to see the best band in the world only to have it taken away 8 days before the tour starts

This one stings a lot especially when my country has fared as well as it has so far with this virus. I disagree with their decision for the shows up here but it is what it is and will probably be selling 4 GA's for the Canadian shows at some point when the shows get announced for the fall. Here is to hoping that the Euro tour can be saved. 

Similar. Out airline tickets. I may be able to make the new dates, but maybe not. I did go through a big hassle to get the days off I needed since we are doing state testing those days. Now after all that I don't need it off. Had someone to watch our kids while we get away, but our trusted, affordable overnight babysitter is moving out of state in a few months and may not be able to find a trusted, affordable replacement to watch our kids for a weekend. On top of that I really don't feel it was necessary at this point. I realize I'm in the minority in that, so maybe I'll be proven wrong. But as long as other major events are going on, I think it would have been better to just play the shows and let people decide for themselves if they want to attend and travel.
    Its not like the band is riding on a packed Southwest flight lining up with the B group exposing themselves to much of what is going around.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    i'm shocked and dismayed there are still fans of this band who think this band will ever consciously put their own fans in harms away again after what happened at Roskilde.  Shocked at the selfishness of some fans here.  selfish because they want shows to go on despite the possible effects on others.  fact is we don't really know where this virus is taking us.  lessening the risk AT THIS TIME is the right move for the greater good.  be for the greater good people. 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,872
    Fucking trump tried to blame Democrats for the virus. He called the cdc info fake news. The guy is a baboon. We need a real leader not a moron
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    pjhawks said:
    i'm shocked and dismayed there are still fans of this band who think this band will ever consciously put their own fans in harms away again after what happened at Roskilde.  Shocked at the selfishness of some fans here.  selfish because they want shows to go on despite the possible effects on others.  fact is we don't really know where this virus is taking us.  lessening the risk AT THIS TIME is the right move for the greater good.  be for the greater good people. 
    Nailed it!
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    pjhawks said:
    I don’t think anyone is being selfish. Some, myself included, think it’s unnecessary. 500 cases across the country is absolutely nothing. You’re probably more likely to die in a car accident going to the show than be hospitalized for the virus at this point. 
    Now if this explodes and we get 1000 cases a day, then cancel. But we’re not there yet, so why cancel/postpone for what might happen?
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,642
    Fucking trump tried to blame Democrats for the virus. He called the cdc info fake news. The guy is a baboon. We need a real leader not a moron
    +1 .......you see he wants AG to open investigation into supposed media blowing up the whole virus situation to make him look bad?
    This is life, this is the world we live in now....shit happens. I am not out any $ and feel badly for people who are, but the losses to retirement income and to the people who are losing income in general from cancellations are devastating more than missing a concert

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,733
    edited March 2020
    Because having these shows go on is a good way to expedite things to get that 1000 cases a day. By cancelling them (and other large gatherings) you decrease potential exposure and stifle the spread of this. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,300
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    EarlWelsh said:
    PJINFLA said:
    Nice job blaming the government
    They definitely didn’t BLAME the government, only pointed out the less than stellar job Dr. Don is doing of handling the situation.
    It didn’t need mentioned. Only serves to further the divide.

The key word there is further.

Crisis like these demand quality leadership. Every American has every right to demand it.

What we dont need is a president more concerned about "how the numbers hurt him" and not the families dealing with this illness.

If someone like Vedder is bullied into silence then who speaks up?
    The divide is built in to human nature. People don’t see things the same and everyone has their biases and reasons for their beliefs. 

There are better ways to speak up than deflecting the blame in a nearly blameless situation.

I don’t want Eddie Vedder as a spokesman on health crises nor do I want some famous right winger with a mic downplaying it. I want people that know wtf they’re talking about. 

Nobody is bullying. Don’t be so dramatic. 
    I'm okay with this, so long as you criticize Donald Trump and Michael Pence whenever they discuss anything to do with any health crisis. Fair is fair.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    I don’t think anyone is being selfish. Some, myself included, think it’s unnecessary. 500 cases across the country is absolutely nothing. You’re probably more likely to die in a car accident going to the show than be hospitalized for the virus at this point. 
    Now if this explodes and we get 1000 cases a day, then cancel. But we’re not there yet, so why cancel/postpone for what might happen?
    Because what if you don't cancel and then your shows contribute to the virus being spread? I wouldn't want to be responsible for that. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • kosteva2kosteva2 Posts: 323
    pjhawks said:
    Totally agree.  Forgot about Roskilde.  Disappointed I won't be seeing them at Apollo, MSG, and Baltimore in 3 weeks but proud of them for being proactive with this.  They're ahead of the curve on this as we're seeing health systems/universities releasing statements on travel restrictions, etc for employees today.  More to follow the next few days.  Better to know now than find out closer to the actual shows for planning.  We'll get our chances to see them later.  
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22, MSG I,II '24, Philly I,II '24
    Also, this is what the experts are saying. This is not me being a new found authority on this like the political cartoon was implying people who care about not spreading this are doing. 

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    Coachella postponed til oct 
    Frank Ocean must be relieved. 
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,763
    Southwest Airlines lets you change or cancel without fees and you can bank ticket for a year. Glad I used them for my Denver, Phoenix flights.
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    This sentiment of 'you guys are selfish assholes for being pissed off' is really starting to get under my skin.

Many people believe this entire thing is being blown WAAAAY out of proportion, which is creating global panic and is crashing markets around the world....in addition to costing us something that we have all been counting down the days to as well as $ and time.

If I felt as though this was all actually necessary I would be completely in favor of cancelling this tour.

Personally, I feel like the media and other forces seem to be actively trying to freak people out and get them to panic, instead of putting people at ease that the chances of getting this thing are very slim, and that even if they do, there is a very, very good chance they are gonna be fine.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    kosteva2 said:
    Sibidy7 said:
    I understand it but its not like it's the norm at this point.  
    It's going to be next couple days.  Some pretty large, well-respected universities in the northeast have already announced this morning that they're putting a halt to large gatherings of 100 people and prohibiting university related travel through mid-April.  There's definitely going to be a carryover effect to other venues, universities, corporations, sports leagues.  It's not like the number of new COVID-19 cases is slowing down.
    Would you rather have Pearl Jam announce it now and get ahead of it or wait until closer to the last minute?
    That's all for show and perhaps to avoid legal ramifications.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    URthekey said:
    Southwest Airlines lets you change or cancel without fees and you can bank ticket for a year. Glad I used them for my Denver, Phoenix flights.
    They're the best
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    me dying in car accident won't injure or hurt possibly thousands of other people.  getting on a plane and going to a concert in the next few weeks could cause the virus to spread exponentially just by myself alone. now multiply that by 15-20,000 fans per show.  
    Saltzy23 said:
    This sentiment of 'you guys are selfish assholes for being pissed off' is really starting to get under my skin.

Many people believe this entire thing is being blown WAAAAY out of proportion, which is creating global panic and is crashing markets around the world....in addition to costing us something that we have all been counting down the days to as well as $ and time.

If I felt as though this was all actually necessary I would be completely in favor of cancelling this tour.

Personally, I feel like the media and other forces seem to be actively trying to freak people out and get them to panic, instead of putting people at ease that the chances of getting this thing are very slim, and that even if they do, there is a very, very good chance they are gonna be fine.
    Ok. people and the media are blowing it out of proportion, fine. Whats their endgame in doing so?
  • NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 213
    Super bummed that the Ottawa show got cancelled, still trying to figure out how to tell my son since he's been literally counting down the days til his first PJ show.

These cancellations are going to keep rolling in. I work at Cornell, have tickets to the ECAC playoff hockey game this Friday night, and just got an email saying that they will play the game with zero fans. All our work travel this spring has been cancelled as well. I feel for all the hotels and folks that rely on tourism/convention money, they're going to be crushed.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    Saltzy23 said:

Ok. people and the media are blowing it out of proportion, fine. Whats their endgame in doing so?
    I’m not agreeing one way or another but headlines equal ratings. 
    Saltzy23 said:

These are basically my thoughts on this. I still think the band probably needed to cancel for a variety of reasons (although there are tons of other shows, sporting events, etc. going on and the government did not tell them to do this), but the whole virus thing seems like a panic over not much. And it's probably a panic with a motive.

edited March 2020
    Saltzy23 said:

Clicks and political influence. The media - all of it - ceased to be trustworthy a long, long time ago.

I'll bet you can think of some advantages to the economy tanking during the months leading up to a major election, can't you?
    Post edited by know1 on

I mean, you are correct, there is a significant percentage of people who won't get this or if they do, will have minor ailments. But there are people who will be adversely affected. Especially those with heath issues and the elderly and newborns. So we're just gonna say too bad so sad to them because they are only 2-4% of the population that will die and 96% will end up fine? 

But bigger than anything, we need to minimize hospital visits. Many hospitals in Italy can't handle the influx of patients. We have to handle other diseases and medical emergencies too. So minimizing the spread and keeping people who could have avoided this home so that we have capacity to handle other things is important too.

but also its super weird to have the mentality that we should just let people suffer when we can actively do things to minimize that.
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    edited March 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

I’m not agreeing one way or another but headlines equal ratings. 
    Bing....bing....bing...

The job of TV is to get people to watch more TV....and nothing does that better than some good disaster porn.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
    know1 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Clicks and political influence. The media - all of it - ceased to be trustworthy a long, long time ago.
    Italy has basically shut down their own country. is that for clicks and political influence? is that to hurt trump?  be smarter
    edited March 2020
    So there is no absolute truth anymore then, huh? Trust no one because theres nothing left to trust. 

I guess this is the real damage done by Trump over the past few years.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    It's not a big deal. I don't know why people are freaking out. Also, it is a secret weapon from China. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Quebec arena posted the goal is to have it rebooked in 2020.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    So there is no absolute truth anymore then, huh? Trust no one because theres nothing left to trust. 

I guess this is the real damage done by CORRUPT POLITICIANS over the past few years.
    Fixed this for you.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville