Question for Republifans

Comments

• ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:

I am not sure you know your left from your right or up from down.

Are you suggesting that Libertarians favor closed borders, harsh and overreaching prison sentences for meaningless victim-less crimes?
    No, I'm suggesting that, strictly speaking, closed borders, harsh prison sentences, are not "Right" political views. They are views that have been linked to (some) right-wing people in the US, which has led to a widespread conflation of the two. 
    lol oh lawd... this guy...

Please provide a list of "Right" wing candidates in the US who support reproductive rights, open borders, decriminalization of drugs and prostitution. 

Others here have asked me to drop this conversation. Happy to continue it elsewhere. 
  • pjhawks said:
    i respect republicans and conservative views BUT i lose respect for anything that supports the current POTUS.  I have a very hard time not losing respect for anyone who gives even an ounce support to such a terrible human being and leader.  Sorry your conservative views are not more important to the world in general.  

that being said i tolerate Ed's rants even if i agree with them.  I'd prefer he not do it during a show but it's his platform not mine.
    There lies the problem with a lot of society today.  If Trump cured cancer, invented perpetual motion, etc. it would be THE worst thing for people such as the above just because they don't 'like' him.  I didn't like some of every president but they all do good.  Sorry if you are too narrow minded to see it.  I would hope we as fans are able to put away those blue or red glasses and understand that having those blinders on is not healthy for growth.  Hence why I read Fox, BBC, Guardia, NPR, etc. for a variety of opinions and takes.  We should all be smarter than that.  I have friends of all thoughts/beliefs and we bust each other's balls and respect each other.  And I vote both sides of the aisle depending on where they stand and where we are as a country.   

But....I don't like being preached to be it PJ, Kid Rock, Uncle Ted, Bono......  I would like to have a few hours away from partisan BS and just enjoy being a fan of a band.  Apparently it is hard for some of these bands to understand that most/many are looking for some escape.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
    pjhawks said:
    i respect republicans and conservative views BUT i lose respect for anything that supports the current POTUS.  I have a very hard time not losing respect for anyone who gives even an ounce support to such a terrible human being and leader.  Sorry your conservative views are not more important to the world in general.  

that being said i tolerate Ed's rants even if i agree with them.  I'd prefer he not do it during a show but it's his platform not mine.
    There lies the problem with a lot of society today.  If Trump cured cancer, invented perpetual motion, etc. it would be THE worst thing for people such as the above just because they don't 'like' him.  I didn't like some of every president but they all do good.  Sorry if you are too narrow minded to see it.  I would hope we as fans are able to put away those blue or red glasses and understand that having those blinders on is not healthy for growth.  Hence why I read Fox, BBC, Guardia, NPR, etc. for a variety of opinions and takes.  We should all be smarter than that.  I have friends of all thoughts/beliefs and we bust each other's balls and respect each other.  And I vote both sides of the aisle depending on where they stand and where we are as a country.   

But....I don't like being preached to be it PJ, Kid Rock, Uncle Ted, Bono......  I would like to have a few hours away from partisan BS and just enjoy being a fan of a band.  Apparently it is hard for some of these bands to understand that most/many are looking for some escape.
    Do you feel the same way when they talk about Steve Gleason?
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    I would happily reconsider my hatred of Trump if he were to cure cancer.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    Let’s see what he does with the cure first. 
    ecdanc said:
    JimmyV said:
    Let’s see what he does with the cure first. 
    Fair point. 

• RobZRobZ Posts: 181
    ecdanc said:
    Ellen Degeneres was hanging out with George Bush.  Both political opposites but respectful and friendly with each other.  I can totally have friends who believe opposite of me.  Keep the friendships, no problem.  I'm not 100% politically in-line with the band.  I respect their beliefs.  I prefer the music over the political messaging.  I like their music, even songs with political messages I don't agree with.  I can disconnect that.  I don't think actors and musicians are experts on world affairs, nor am I.  When I want to get informed, I like to turn to experts on both side of an argument and form my own conclusion.  When I go to a movie or a concert, I'm escaping for 2-3 hours.  So I rather not have my nose rubbed in it.   
    See, I can't. If I were to stay friends with Trump supporters, my women friends, my friends of color, my queer friends would all wonder why I had friends who were making their lives markedly worse. 
    Oh FFS!
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    pjhawks said:

it's about THIS MAN not a republican or conservative view.  I respect republican and conservative views.

do you not lose at least a little bit of respect for people who support men who sexually assault women and brag about it?
    do you not lose at least a little bit of respect for people who support men who belittle wounded war veterans who fought and were injured serving this country?
    do you not lose at least a little bit of respect for people who who support people who hire people and companies to do work then refuse to pay them their earned and contractually agreed upon prices?
    do you not lose at least a little respect for people who support men who bully and belittle people on a daily basis?
    do you not lose at least a little bit of respect for people who support men who openly admit their daughter is hot and would date them if they could?
    do you not lose at least a little bit of respect for people who support men who steal from a charity?
    do you not lose at least a little bit of respect for people who support men who lie on a daily basis about pretty much everything?

do you honestly answer NO to the questions above?

i'm not being closed-minded. i'm being sane and rational.

• RobZ said:
    ecdanc said:
    Ellen Degeneres was hanging out with George Bush.  Both political opposites but respectful and friendly with each other.  I can totally have friends who believe opposite of me.  Keep the friendships, no problem.  I'm not 100% politically in-line with the band.  I respect their beliefs.  I prefer the music over the political messaging.  I like their music, even songs with political messages I don't agree with.  I can disconnect that.  I don't think actors and musicians are experts on world affairs, nor am I.  When I want to get informed, I like to turn to experts on both side of an argument and form my own conclusion.  When I go to a movie or a concert, I'm escaping for 2-3 hours.  So I rather not have my nose rubbed in it.   
    See, I can't. If I were to stay friends with Trump supporters, my women friends, my friends of color, my queer friends would all wonder why I had friends who were making their lives markedly worse. 
    Oh FFS!
    ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    edited February 2020
    pjhawks said:

If you are reading a variety of news sources and you reach the conclusion that people are too narrowminded to embrace Trump -- maybe you are doing your reading wrong(?). 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Trump got 63 million votes in 2016. Romney got 63 million votes in 2012. You either exist in the most insulated of echo chambers or you have friends and family who are Trump supporters. 

• blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    edited February 2020
    pjhawks said:

If you are reading a variety of news sources and you reach the conclusion that people are too narrowminded to embrace Trump -- maybe you are doing your reading wrong(?). 
    In reference to Spiritual Chaos, Where on earth did I say that?!  You can start by not putting words in my mouth for fucks sake.  You are exactly part of the problem I am describing.  And you not even noticing that.....well, I have nothing for you.  
    Post edited by blackhawks on
  • ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:

Are you suggesting that Libertarians favor closed borders, harsh and overreaching prison sentences for meaningless victim-less crimes?
    No, I'm suggesting that, strictly speaking, closed borders, harsh prison sentences, are not "Right" political views. They are views that have been linked to (some) right-wing people in the US, which has led to a widespread conflation of the two. 

Please provide a list of "Right" wing candidates in the US who support reproductive rights, open borders, decriminalization of drugs and prostitution. 

EDIT: I see it's dropped. Thread lag. Probably for the best. 
    You know, you can go to youtube and find a list of Dems wanting closed borders and stricter regs on immigration.  Of course pre Trump but even Obama stated it.  
  • ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:

You know, you can go to youtube and find a list of Dems wanting closed borders and stricter regs on immigration.  Of course pre Trump but even Obama stated it.  
    And those people would not be considered far left
    ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:

If they are Stalinists they would be. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    Liberalism identifies with who they are. It's in their music in the early years and later years.

Not sure how I'd be able to tune it out 
  • MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    I went to both Boston shows in 2018.  i spotted a concert goer making his way to his seat and he was wearing a MAGA hat.  i was surprised and i guess my face showed it cause our eyes locked.  being a hispanic female I looked away cause I didn't want any problems. you know everyone is drinking, etc.  but i guess i was surprised cause I didn't know PJ had so many republican fans being that they are so political.  I guess the music is just so good it doesn't matter to some what PJ's political beliefs are.  here's hoping we all just have a good time at the shows this year with a common interest and love of pearl jam :)
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
    MR242791 said:
    I went to both Boston shows in 2018.  i spotted a concert goer making his way to his seat and he was wearing a MAGA hat.  i was surprised and i guess my face showed it cause our eyes locked.  being a hispanic female I looked away cause I didn't want any problems. you know everyone is drinking, etc.  but i guess i was surprised cause I didn't know PJ had so many republican fans being that they are so political.  I guess the music is just so good it doesn't matter to some what PJ's political beliefs are.  here's hoping we all just have a good time at the shows this year with a common interest and love of pearl jam :)
    Sounds like an intentionally provocative asshole. And I’m an expert on those. 
  • MR242791 said:
    Was it Larry David?
    ecdanc said:
    I'm a liberal and I have republican friends.  we disagree and it's okay with me.  I would hang with G.W. Bush.  He seems like he's fun.  I don't think he was a good president, but there are lots of people that are bad at their jobs that i like. lol
    38 concerts and counting
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    ibtl
  • ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:

The 'old' Democrat party.  A mere one administration away.  
  • Just no more 4 eyed animals on the merch and I’m good with whatever he wants to say
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    If you spend money, time, energy going to see, or listening to a performer you are supporting them and their views.
    I for one will never spend a dime to see or hear ted nugent, kid rock, rosanne, or any other "artist" who has shown support for the current regime.

The Buddhists will tell you that when you support evil that makes you evil as well.
    When you support a racist in any way, shape, or form, including voting,  that makes you a racist as well.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    I think both parties have adopted specific ideals for the sole purpose of maintaining division. A country that is united doesn't need to rely on its government, and sadly it is apparent that our government prefers it this way. Until they show signs of coming together for the greater good, I can't support either. They continue to spew BS down willing supporters throats and the only thing that changes is their bank accounts...public servants or untouchable elites? Out of curiosity for the Democrats in here, who do you think PJ would even get behind in this upcoming election? From an unbiased perspective, I see a party that has wasted the last 3 1/2 years running a failed smear campaign instead of using that time to produce a couple of sure candidates. The DNC doesn't even want Bernie and he is leading the way right now, I would seriously be questioning my support if this is how they spent their time and our money.

MR242791 said:
    Was it Larry David?
    Lol.  no. and the next day waiting to go inside Fenway I saw this sign saying no confederate flags allowed. I didn’t know that about Boston. I thought it was interesting 

38 concerts and counting
    Wouldn't shed a tear if confederate flags were banned everywhere. Good for Fenway. 

• RobZRobZ Posts: 181
    edited February 2020
    MR242791 said:
    MR242791 said:
    Was it Larry David?
    Lol.  no. and the next day waiting to go inside Fenway I saw this sign saying no confederate flags allowed. I didn’t know that about Boston. I thought it was interesting 

Sign probably came about because of the incident/s that happened at Fenway in early 2017...Red Sox fans were yelling racial remarks at a Baltimore player/and other fans.....Google it for details.
    Post edited by RobZ on
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    JimmyV said:
    Trump got 63 million votes in 2016. Romney got 63 million votes in 2012. You either exist in the most insulated of echo chambers or you have friends and family who are Trump supporters. 

And they are not invited to Christmas.. if it were up to me.
  • CridderCridder Posts: 165
    clowns