Question for Republifans

Its safe to say this album and tour are going to have a political tone.  For me personally the artists I like are politically aligned to my values and PJ counts as one of those acts.  

But some people like the tunes but may not like the tones.  I ran into a couple of such people at the last show in Missoula.  They were genuine PJ music fans but they were not aligned with the messaging and the inference of support for a Democratic Senator.  Before the show started, they engaged their seat neighbors in a conversation which then evolved into a debate about "shut up and sing".  It went downhill super quickly.   I actually had to get both parties to shut up because it was so annoying and uncomfortable.

It fascinates me that someone might enter that arena prepared to boo a vocal artist who is obviously politically aligned one way or the other.   What's the expectation?

So my question to the forum is for vocally brave Republifans.   Does the music just over ride the underpinning message?  Did a little bit of you come to protest?  

Lets see how long we can keep this going with out it going south.

Cahoots

1992 VAN
1993 VAN
1998 Missoula
2000 Barcelona & Boise
2002 SEA 2x
2003 VAN
2005 VAN, Calgary, Edmonton & Saskatoon
2006 The Gorge
2009 SEA & VAN
2011 VAN
2013 Portland & VAN
2015 Mexico City
2018 Missoula

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    I’m there for the music; not for politics. My political views and those of the band or other fans are irrelevant to me at a rock concert. That said, I commend the band for using their platform as an opportunity to share their views. Hopefully in small doses rather than long rants as I want to hear as much great music as possible at a show. 
  • CahootsCahoots Posts: 140
    edited February 2020
    Do you boo when you hear something that rubs you the wrong way? Even if you knew it was coming?

Cahoots

1992 VAN
    1993 VAN
    1998 Missoula
    2000 Barcelona & Boise
    2002 SEA 2x
    2003 VAN
    2006 The Gorge
    2009 SEA & VAN
    2011 VAN
    2013 Portland & VAN
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Missoula
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 231
    I just boo when they play any song released after Riot Act.
    tusevun said:
    Mind your manners!
    Cahoots

1992 VAN
    1993 VAN
    1998 Missoula
    2000 Barcelona & Boise
    2002 SEA 2x
    2003 VAN
    2006 The Gorge
    2009 SEA & VAN
    2011 VAN
    2013 Portland & VAN
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Missoula
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 231
    Cahoots said:
    tusevun said:
    Mind your manners!
    Infallible 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Republifans.
    That's a good one.
  • This is a fan base who cannot even agree on pictures where Ed looks hot, and you expect them to agree on putting political differences aside? Tisk, tisk.   ;)
    This is a fan base who cannot even agree on pictures where Ed looks hot, and you expect them to agree on putting political differences aside? Tisk, tisk.   ;)
    LOL - I guess that true.  

Cahoots

1992 VAN
    1993 VAN
    1998 Missoula
    2000 Barcelona & Boise
    2002 SEA 2x
    2003 VAN
    2006 The Gorge
    2009 SEA & VAN
    2011 VAN
    2013 Portland & VAN
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Missoula
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    I'm not a Republican but there are issues where my views differ with artists a lot. Pearl Jam have generally been pretty smart in how they approach politics in their art. I think most artists are. There have only been a couple rare cases where the music is so hamfisted that I have to tune a band out. Social media can definitely be a different story, though.
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    edited February 2020
    I got into the music when I was about 12 or 13, which for me is ‘92/‘93.  So at the beginning.  So I had no clue that a lot of the music had a big pc tone to it. Hell, early on Ed even made a point about being vague about certain songs and what the inspiration was because he wanted it open for interpretation. 

And remember, back then there was no social media and this giant push for being all woke. Everyone now tries to outdo each other for how equal they want everyone while simultaneously being oblivious to how they want wants best for them (see every post in the porch bitching about not getting tix/prices/mad at 10club/Ed taking a private jet to Super bowl). The list is endless.

I think we’re all hypocrites when it suits us. We all look out for number 1.  When I hear Ed screaming about climate change or Bernie I just laugh. Ed lecturing us for a few minutes is not gonna have any impact on an election.  If it makes him feel better then fine, but I know it’s coming so whatever. 

I’m not gonna go to the library and get ticked that I can’t speak loudly.  Gotta know your surroundings.  

Plus, good ole Johnny Ramone was a republican and Ed clearly had zero issue w him.  
    Post edited by TN49724 on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,212
    I go for the music and entertainment. If I'm at a show (PJ or another band) and politics are brought up that I don't agree with then I just ignore it. 

I don't typically associate myself with a particular political party. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    edited February 2020
    Some interesting responses.

Election years are always fun for live music. 

In a 6 week spring time span I'm seeing Pearl Jam, Run The Jewels / Rage Against the Machine and The Rolling Stones.  I hope they all have some rock the vote presence.

Most of all, I hope all of the eligible audience register and vote.   I can't imagine not exercising that right. (esp now)

Republifan or Jamicrat you've gotta be in it to win it.
    Cahoots

1992 VAN
    1993 VAN
    1998 Missoula
    2000 Barcelona & Boise
    2002 SEA 2x
    2003 VAN
    2006 The Gorge
    2009 SEA & VAN
    2011 VAN
    2013 Portland & VAN
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Missoula
  • JojoRice said:
    I go for the music and entertainment. If I'm at a show (PJ or another band) and politics are brought up that I don't agree with then I just ignore it. 

I don't typically associate myself with a particular political party. 
    This.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
    I loved this band since I was 8... I’m 36 now... I am conservative.  I still go to shows. I’m able to separate the two.  Shut Up and sing - yeah , I’m a paying customer and would love for him to just get on stage and play straight through. However he has the right to say whatever he wants - at the same time if I’m being told who to vote for or hear negative comments towards my beliefs then I have every right to boo if I feel.  If opposing folks have a problem with that then they need to check themselves because in reality they’re basically telling me to “Shut up and just listen to the music.” Doesn’t work both ways.  
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    edited February 2020
    I would much rather hear a political speech than some rant about baseball at the ballpark shows.  Play a game of Solitaire on stage if they need a break versus some baseball story.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Even worse than being a republican, I'm a White Sox fan. I've had to deal with Ed's Cub fandom, stepping foot in Wrigley, listening to All the Way, etc. I put up with it though, so they should be able to also.

;)
    I would much rather hear a political speech than some rant about baseball at the ballpark shows.  Play a game of Solitaire on stage if they need a break versus some baseball story.
    Not trying to start an argument BUT I am in favor of baseball stories any time for any reason

• Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 315
    I’m a democrat. I really struggle when I see celebrities backing the current tangerine regime.  I never look at them the same. I’d struggle to give my money to a performer who I knew was outwardly supporting policies that I find despicable. 

As a Cubs fan, I’ve even found myself conflicted because of the ownership. Thankfully the Ricketts family has one Democrat I can support. The rest can pi$$ off. 
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
    Hankj25 said:
    I’m a democrat. I really struggle when I see celebrities backing the current tangerine regime.  I never look at them the same. I’d struggle to give my money to a performer who I knew was outwardly supporting policies that I find despicable. 

As a Cubs fan, I’ve even found myself conflicted because of the ownership. Thankfully the Ricketts family has one Democrat I can support. The rest can pi$$ off. 
    Brings up an interesting question. If you were at a concert and the singer gave a pro-Trump speech between songs, what would you do? Boo? Walk out? Bite your lip and wait until it was over? Let's say it was one time and like 30-60 seconds.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I usually don't care to learn of any celebrity’s political views.  It’s no different than not caring what your coworker’s views are lol.  Obviously with a social/political hinting band you’ll hear stuff. No big deal.  Doesn't change my opinion of them either way usually.  

Everyone is different so i dont let someone’s party really matter to me.  If someone votes democrat i dont think any more or less of them. Same if someone votes republican. 

Im not voting for either party so i truly don’t care. :lol:
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414

So I can handle any opinion that is the opposite of mine, but I like it to be thought out and not a rant.  I’m even ok with going to a show and hearing shit I disagree with.  But… Eddie is going to get hammered and rant this tour.  That’s a waste of everybody’s time.  He was drunk AF at Fenway 2018.

Yes – I am the wearing the Shut up and Sing cap.  I’m not dumb and don’t need to get educated at a show.

Regardless – I’m so pumped to see these guys on this tour.  I think it is going to be one for the books.  I think we are all in for a great tour.

• riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,132
    I’m a right leaning independent. Disagree with the band on some stuff. I’ve been to 7 shows and know the bands politics. I think they do it in such a tactful way and they are supportive of everyone having their own opinions, that I don’t get bothered at all. I absolutely love riot act, etc. 

I don’t know. I’m not stuck in an echo chamber. They are my all time favorite band and totally cheer when they bash republicans and everything 🤣. 
  • jstu39jstu39 Posts: 145
    I’m not registered with either party, but I’m there for the music, the artistic expression. Artists in general lean left, so you know that going in. I can enjoy a well crafted song, or book, or any form of expression that tells a great story or makes me think or moves me, even if I don’t agree with the message. My views on many things have evolved over the years, so I hope I am open to other points of view. I think any of these artists from either side are more effective when telling a story with their gift, their talent and their art, and not by ranting or using a platform like twitter to tell one side they are wrong or seek validation from like minded followers. I wish I had the talent as a storyteller to craft a narrative or verse and be able to subtly weave a message into the art. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    edited February 2020
    It always puzzles me when fans get upset that artists who have written songs that address contemporary issues, including political issues, choose to speak about their politics at shows.  ("Hey, Bono, I don't want to hear about your politics.  Now sing 'Sunday Bloody Sunday!'")  By the same token, if you just won an Oscar for your documentary short about sex trafficking, I'm fully expecting you to use your 45 seconds to say something to try to galvanize action against sex trafficking.

Having said that, I think that artists-- musicians, but also and especially film and television actors and writers-- tend not to realize just how alienating they can be when they choose to express their political views on award shows or in interviews.  It's often not about substance; it's about tone, and it ends up being counterproductive to the political outcomes they would like to see.  For every like-minded person that may find succor in an actor's polemic about whichever politician or political issue, two other people are pushed away.  It's not the biggest factor in our increasing polarization-- that blame lies with partisan media (particularly cable news channels) and people's increasing ability to construct an information bubble that insulates them from hearing facts that challenge their worldview-- but it's one of the factors.

Full disclosure: I am a lifelong registered non-partisan who strongly disapproves of the current president and strongly approved of his predecessor.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Posts: 3,411
    For disclosure, I'm a libertarian.

I'm going to enjoy the music no matter what.  The fellow fans and live music make the shows interesting, not the political discussion.  Hopefully we all have a good time at the shows.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    pjl44 said:
    Hankj25 said:

Brings up an interesting question. If you were at a concert and the singer gave a pro-Trump speech between songs, what would you do? Boo? Walk out? Bite your lip and wait until it was over? Let's say it was one time and like 30-60 seconds.

I have yet to find an artist that makes good music and is a republican.  Their politics are incidental to me, so it’s always after the fact that I might find out their politics.  Make what you want of that.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • I stopped giving a fuck about what celebrities thought way back in the early 90's.  Talk about it, or not during your show.  I couldn't care less about their thoughts on just about anything.  Especially things that affect my actual life.
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    I don’t like the political stances of many of my favorite artists, coworkers, relatives etc., treating people poorly because they disagree with you makes you the problem. Political problems won’t ever get resolved until people work together to solve the real issues.
  • RobZRobZ Posts: 181
    I'm college educated, spent 51 years on this rock, traveled most of the world, and proudly served in the US military. I'm a registered Independent--liberal on some issues & conservative on others...with that said, politicians, musicians, actors, athletes, celebrities, and bitter little school-girls from Sweden are the LAST people on Earth whose opinion matters to me.

Looking forward to another great tour...

2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana