Question for Republifans

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    ecdanc said:
    Ellen Degeneres was hanging out with George Bush.  Both political opposites but respectful and friendly with each other.  I can totally have friends who believe opposite of me.  Keep the friendships, no problem.  I'm not 100% politically in-line with the band.  I respect their beliefs.  I prefer the music over the political messaging.  I like their music, even songs with political messages I don't agree with.  I can disconnect that.  I don't think actors and musicians are experts on world affairs, nor am I.  When I want to get informed, I like to turn to experts on both side of an argument and form my own conclusion.  When I go to a movie or a concert, I'm escaping for 2-3 hours.  So I rather not have my nose rubbed in it.   
    See, I can't. If I were to stay friends with Trump supporters, my women friends, my friends of color, my queer friends would all wonder why I had friends who were making their lives markedly worse. 
    I just will never understand nonsense like this. What’s the difference between not being friends with someone because of their politics or not being friends with someone because if their religion, or sexual preference. Just seems hypocritical. A good person is a good person a bad person is a bad person regardless of race, sex, etc....
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:
    ecdanc said:
    Libertarian here (Fiscal conservative, socially liberal) who generally thinks BOTH the far left and right are mental. Both tend to be closed minded, use hyperbole and straw men to attack "the other team", and the rest of the country has to suffer as a result.

Ed and most other celebrities aren't forced to live in the real world, and thus preach in a manner disconnected with reality, all while living a life protected by armed security (while preaching against guns), and flying in private jets and riding in gas guzzling busses (while preaching about global warming).

They're hypocrites, but I don't let it impact my enjoyment of the music. I choose to walk away from any preachy fans, and at most shows Ed's ranting is kept pretty low-key. If Ed does get on a roll, it's always a nice time to tune him out, and go grab a beer and piss break. :)  

IMO everyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as it's not hurting someone else (including speaking their mind), and government interference (fiscally & legislatively) should be kept to a bare minimum. Those who think healthcare and college education should be provided for those who can't afford it, nobody's stopping you from voluntarily setting aside a chunk of your salary to help make that happen. No need for a federal mandate. 
    If you're a libertarian and you're not on the far right, you're doing it wrong. 
    pretty hard to be far right supporting open borders, drug legalization, criminal justice reform, among a million other things. 
    Not at all. That's exactly what libertarianism is. 
    I am not sure you know your left from your right or up from down.

Are you suggesting that Libertarians favor closed borders, harsh and overreaching prison sentences for meaningless victim-less crimes?
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    Libertarian here (Fiscal conservative, socially liberal) who generally thinks BOTH the far left and right are mental. Both tend to be closed minded, use hyperbole and straw men to attack "the other team", and the rest of the country has to suffer as a result.
    Incorrect.

You might want to brush up on what libertarians stand for.... many social policies of the right (immigration, abortion, Decriminalizing drugs and prostitution, etc) are way out of sync with the far right. 
    They are classical liberals, e.g., extreme conservatives. You're conflating US social policies (the issues you describe) with the economic spectrum (Left/Right). You're not wrong, per se, because that's how many people talk about it, but strictly speaking, libertarians are THE right, by definition. 
    PB11041 said:
    ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:
    ecdanc said:

Ed and most other celebrities aren't forced to live in the real world, and thus preach in a manner disconnected with reality, all while living a life protected by armed security (while preaching against guns), and flying in private jets and riding in gas guzzling busses (while preaching about global warming).

They're hypocrites, but I don't let it impact my enjoyment of the music. I choose to walk away from any preachy fans, and at most shows Ed's ranting is kept pretty low-key. If Ed does get on a roll, it's always a nice time to tune him out, and go grab a beer and piss break. :)  

IMO everyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as it's not hurting someone else (including speaking their mind), and government interference (fiscally & legislatively) should be kept to a bare minimum. Those who think healthcare and college education should be provided for those who can't afford it, nobody's stopping you from voluntarily setting aside a chunk of your salary to help make that happen. No need for a federal mandate. 
    pretty hard to be far right supporting open borders, drug legalization, criminal justice reform, among a million other things. 

Are you suggesting that Libertarians favor closed borders, harsh and overreaching prison sentences for meaningless victim-less crimes?
    No, I'm suggesting that, strictly speaking, closed borders, harsh prison sentences, are not "Right" political views. They are views that have been linked to (some) right-wing people in the US, which has led to a widespread conflation of the two. 
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,415
    Registered Independent,  currently more likely to vote Republican than Democrat.  Being on the slightly right side of moderate.. I can say I dont agree with all of their messages but... that's freedom of speech and I love hearing new angles to things that maybe I dont agree with and can learn or adapt my views. I'm probably the definition of the targeted audience where my vote changes every election cycle.

Disclosure: Eddie could tell a story about taking a shit and I would cheer. 

Moral of the story: people can share whatever they want.
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    Ellen Degeneres was hanging out with George Bush.  Both political opposites but respectful and friendly with each other.  I can totally have friends who believe opposite of me.  Keep the friendships, no problem.  I'm not 100% politically in-line with the band.  I respect their beliefs.  I prefer the music over the political messaging.  I like their music, even songs with political messages I don't agree with.  I can disconnect that.  I don't think actors and musicians are experts on world affairs, nor am I.  When I want to get informed, I like to turn to experts on both side of an argument and form my own conclusion.  When I go to a movie or a concert, I'm escaping for 2-3 hours.  So I rather not have my nose rubbed in it.   
    See, I can't. If I were to stay friends with Trump supporters, my women friends, my friends of color, my queer friends would all wonder why I had friends who were making their lives markedly worse. 
    I just will never understand nonsense like this. What’s the difference between not being friends with someone because of their politics or not being friends with someone because if their religion, or sexual preference. Just seems hypocritical. A good person is a good person a bad person is a bad person regardless of race, sex, etc....
    I can't be friends with someone who wishes harm on my other friends? I feel like I'm not taking an especially bold stand here. 
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I can't be friends with someone who wishes harm on my other friends? I feel like I'm not taking an especially bold stand here. 
    So anyone who votes republican wishes harm on your gay and friends of color. Lol. Ok dude. 
    Post edited by Kat on
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    Dude - this is a good thread with people giving a variety of responses to the OP's question. Can you please please please keep your desire to fight everyone on their politics confined to AMT?
    edited February 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So anyone who votes republican wishes harm on your gay and friends of color.. Lol. Ok dude. 
    Did I say that? 
    Post edited by Kat on
  • ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    Incorrect.

You might want to brush up on what libertarians stand for.... many social policies of the right (immigration, abortion, Decriminalizing drugs and prostitution, etc) are way out of sync with the far right. 
    They are classical liberals, e.g., extreme conservatives. You're conflating US social policies (the issues you describe) with the economic spectrum (Left/Right). You're not wrong, per se, because that's how many people talk about it, but strictly speaking, libertarians are THE right, by definition. 
    Curious absence of the word “far” in your post, it seems like you amuse yourself by making provocative comments then moving the goal posts on it
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So anyone who votes republican wishes harm on your gay and friends of color. Lol. Ok dude. 
    Did I say that? 
    Yes 
    Post edited by Kat on
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,132
    ecdanc said:
    riley540 said:
    I’ve taken a hand full of the online political tests and I usually pop out as libertarian. I don’t really care what everyone does. And I like to be in control of my finances. 
    Obviously everyone has opinions. I’m in “film school” and it’s extremely liberal. Never had bothered me at all. Some of my best friends are far left. A few of my best friends are trump mega fans. I just don’t care to much 
    Why is "film school" in quotes?
    Ha! Most people look at film school as a waste of money. I just have fun with the cliches. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Ok we can move it now
    edited February 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    Did I say that? 
    Yes 
    I literally never said “republicans”. I’m easy enough to disagree with without lying.          

Post edited by Kat on

Mentioned that at Spectrum 2003

people cheered. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    Incorrect.

Curious absence of the word “far” in your post, it seems like you amuse yourself by making provocative comments then moving the goal posts on it
    Apologies. The absence of “far” was an oversight, not an effort to move the goalposts. The all caps THE was meant to convey the same thing, but I see now I should have been clearer. 
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    Dude - this is a good thread with people giving a variety of responses to the OP's question. Can you please please please keep your desire to fight everyone on their politics confined to AMT?
    Thank you for your input. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:
    ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:
    ecdanc said:

No, I'm suggesting that, strictly speaking, closed borders, harsh prison sentences, are not "Right" political views. They are views that have been linked to (some) right-wing people in the US, which has led to a widespread conflation of the two. 
    yeah, I mean, if you want to reinvent or reestablish how language should be used, I guess, but for better or worse, the Right has adopted those core tenets as tent poles of their philosophy and platform.  And the farther you get to the right side of the spectrum the less anything resembles something remotely libertarian.   No one policy is exclusive to just the right or far-right.   For example on the venn diagram, the where Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders intersect is particularly troubling to me.   Nevertheless in the way the current US jargon is used, no one is going to confuse a Libertarian for say Ted Cruz, or John Bolton, or some such.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

riley540 said:
    ecdanc said:
    riley540 said:
    I’ve taken a hand full of the online political tests and I usually pop out as libertarian. I don’t really care what everyone does. And I like to be in control of my finances. 
    Obviously everyone has opinions. I’m in “film school” and it’s extremely liberal. Never had bothered me at all. Some of my best friends are far left. A few of my best friends are trump mega fans. I just don’t care to much 
    Why is "film school" in quotes?
    Ha! Most people look at film school as a waste of money. I just have fun with the cliches. 
    Lol. I hear you. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    edited February 2020
    Ellen Degeneres was hanging out with George Bush.  Both political opposites but respectful and friendly with each other.  
    If I were friends with Ellen and she hanged out with a war criminal that should be tried at Hague, then i would question my friend Ellen and my friendship with her.

I try to have some standards in my life.

Also, stating ones opinions or worldview in a song =/= stating to be an expert. 

I have problems "looking the other way" or tuning out. That's why I don't listen to KISS - Take it off. No matter how good that riff is. because the lyrics are seeping iiiiiiiinnnnn
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Oh boy...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Genuine apologies for getting off topic. Happy to drop it. 

I’m not a big fan of Ed’s chatter because it’s too centrist. And I find his jokes about #metoo a little tone deaf. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,415

people cheered. 
    Purchasing the boot. Done
    edited February 2020

people cheered. 
    Purchasing the boot. Done
    My favorite 2003 show!
    PJNB said:

😂😂
  • ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:

Yes... annnnnnnd, NOT what the far Right is. 
    Maybe your understanding of the Far Right is the root of your confusion :) 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    Ellen Degeneres was hanging out with George Bush.  Both political opposites but respectful and friendly with each other.  
    If I were friends with Ellen and she hanged out with a war criminal that should be tried at Hague, then i would question my friend Ellen and my friendship with her.

I try to have some standards in my life.

Also, stating ones opinions or worldview in a song =/= stating to be an expert. 

I have problems "looking the other way" or tuning out. That's why I don't listen to KISS - Take it off. No matter how good that riff is. because the lyrics are seeping iiiiiiiinnnnn
    i would think everyone has a point of no return for actions by their friends.  i don't disparage or lose my friends if they support Trump but it surely makes me question their judgment on what is good and bad.  No problem with being Republican or Conservative but honestly I don't understand any education person supporting our current Potus in any way shape or form.
    ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:

Yes... annnnnnnd, NOT what the far Right is. 
    Maybe your understanding of the Far Right is the root of your confusion :) 
    I promised to let this drop here. Happy to pick this up on PM if you like. 
  • mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:
    PB11041 said:

lol oh lawd... this guy...

Please provide a list of "Right" wing candidates in the US who support reproductive rights, open borders, decriminalization of drugs and prostitution. 

EDIT: I see it's dropped. Thread lag. Probably for the best. 
    Post edited by mattsavard on
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement.