10C tickets on stubhub

zmanzman Posts: 502
how does 10C plan on dealing with all the resale tickets on stubhub?  i mean its obvious the GA tickets for MSG came from 10C. anyone have any insight on how they plan on tackling this problem. we all have to jump through all these hoops, if its all for not, then why even bother, and just go back to the old paper tickets. 

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 10,525
    I don't think they can.  The whole reason they are available for MSG is because New York has a law saying the tickets are transferable.  That's why they are locked down so well in the other states.

I suppose they could buy the tickets and try to track their origin and kickout the 10c member, but I don't think that does much.   They can sign up again... maybe under a pseudonym.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    zman said:
    how does 10C plan on dealing with all the resale tickets on stubhub?  i mean its obvious the GA tickets for MSG came from 10C. anyone have any insight on how they plan on tackling this problem. we all have to jump through all these hoops, if its all for not, then why even bother, and just go back to the old paper tickets. 
    The minute seat locations were revealed, a ton of tickets hit stubhub. This is no surprise. Like any other large group of people, there are good and bad. “10c members” financially exploit the band all the time whether it’s merch or tickets. Luckily, There are still a nice amount of great people here that would never consider flipping a ticket to another member. 
  • How do they make tickets non-transferable anyways, cuz you just take a screenshot and send the pic?  
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited February 2020
    People do get caught. The ex-husband of someone I work with got booted several years ago trying to sell wrigley takes over face. I don’t know they got caught, just that they did and had tickets revoked and received a lifetime ban. 

So it happens.

I am curious, however, how the state law may or may not trump the 10C policy tickets can’t be sold over face value. Like if someone in NY or CO sells over face, gets caught and has tickets revoked, and then sues 10C for their action, who would win?
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • How do they make tickets non-transferable anyways, cuz you just take a screenshot and send the pic?  
    The barcode dynamically changes so screenshots don’t work anymore. I know it work in 2018 with the ballpark shows.
  • Evel KEvel K Posts: 526
    The only problem I see here is people can join a week before, scalp their tickets, get caught, get banned and re-join with someone else's info in the fall. If they start 5 new numbers for MSG, and one pair of tickets gets through they've made a profit and will try again.
    Things were different then
  • LowlightLowlight Posts: 101
    People do get caught. The ex-husband of someone I work with got booted several years ago trying to sell wrigley takes over face. I don’t know they got caught, just that they did and had tickets revoked and received a lifetime ban. 

So it happens.

I am curious, however, how the state law may or may not trump the 10C policy tickets can’t be sold over face value. Like if someone in NY or CO sells over face, gets caught and has tickets revoked, and then sues 10C for their action, who would win?
    10C.  When you sign up for membership you are entering into a contract with 10C and agree to the rules - one of which is you cannot sell over face.

The state law protects anyone who transfers tickets, meaning Ticketmaster can not prevent those tickets from being transferred, but does not trump 10C revoking your membership and tickets if you void the contract.
    Detroit 10-7-00 Buffalo 5-2-03 Boston 7-2-03 Camden 7-6-03 Boston 7-11-03 Boston 5-25-06 Camden 5-27-06 Hartford 6-27-08 Boston 6-28-08 Boston 6-30-08 Hartford 5-15-10 Boston 5-17-10 Chicago 7-19-13 Brooklyn 10-18-13 Brooklyn 10-19-13 Hartford 10-25-13 Moline 10-17-14 St. Paul 10-19-14 Milwaukee 10-20-14 Boston 8-5-16 Boston 8-7-16 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16 Seattle 8-8-18 Boston 9-2-18 Boston 9-4-18 New York City 9-11-22
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    Lowlight said:

So it happens.

10C.  When you sign up for membership you are entering into a contract with 10C and agree to the rules - one of which is you cannot sell over face.

The state law protects anyone who transfers tickets, meaning Ticketmaster can not prevent those tickets from being transferred, but does not trump 10C revoking your membership and tickets if you void the contract.

Not to mention, while NY state law mandates that tickets be transferable, there are still laws on the books regarding scalping. I believe the law in NY is that any sale over 10% above face value is considered scalping and can be punished.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mpedone said:
    Lowlight said:

So it happens.

Not to mention, while NY state law mandates that tickets be transferable, there are still laws on the books regarding scalping. I believe the law in NY is that any sale over 10% above face value is considered scalping and can be punished.
    Not any longer
  • Lowlight said:

So it happens.

What happens if you transfer your 10c for face using F2F or cashortrade.org then the next person sells those 10c seats for over face value, what happens then? Kind of worried about that. Obviously only possible for Denver and MSG shows.  I am trying to sell mine to a friend so I don’t get caught up with someone abusing the rules on my original tickets. 
  • ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:
    Lowlight said:

So it happens.

Not any longer
    THIS
    Stubhub and other third party resale sites wouldn't be in existence if State Law allowed for prosecutors to go over people selling tickets on their platform.  
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    SJ54844 said:
    Lowlight said:

So it happens.

What happens if you transfer your 10c for face using F2F or cashortrade.org then the next person sells those 10c seats for over face value, what happens then? Kind of worried about that. Obviously only possible for Denver and MSG shows.  I am trying to sell mine to a friend so I don’t get caught up with someone abusing the rules on my original tickets. 
    This would definitely be a concern for me. If I was selling extras, it would be to someone I know or someone on here with a solid reputation. 
    Evel K said:
    The only problem I see here is people can join a week before, scalp their tickets, get caught, get banned and re-join with someone else's info in the fall. If they start 5 new numbers for MSG, and one pair of tickets gets through they've made a profit and will try again.
    Unless 10C follows through on voiding the tickets
  • ClapperClapper Posts: 208
    pjl44 said:
    Evel K said:
    I’m not sure they are actually allowed to void tickets,  especially when the tickets are for places like CO or NY where there are legal parameters for re-sale.  They can definitely revoke membership from the club though. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • afgpjafgpj Posts: 142
    Over 60 GA tix for MSG currently listed.  It’s a shame these are not in the hands of 10c members(real fans).
  • afgpjafgpj Posts: 142
    I ended up in the nosebleeds at MSG, which I expected with a high 10c number.  
    But my chances at GA were reduced because of this nonsense.
  • Clapper said:
    pjl44 said:
    Evel K said:
    I’m not sure they are actually allowed to void tickets,  especially when the tickets are for places like CO or NY where there are legal parameters for re-sale.  They can definitely revoke membership from the club though. 
    There can rules placed upon tickets in Colorado. The venue in Aspen, Belly Up, requires face value ticket exchange. Same as 10c. 
    Clapper said:
    pjl44 said:
    Evel K said:
    Yeah, I have no idea if that affects their ability to cancel the order
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:
    Lowlight said:

So it happens.

Not any longer
    THIS
    Stubhub and other third party resale sites wouldn't be in existence if State Law allowed for prosecutors to go over people selling tickets on their platform.  
    Yeah, looking more into this, it looks like the law is still on the books (maybe), but doesn't apply to StubHub because they're a "licensed reseller"? On their site, they do say that if you're selling tickets, you are "responsible for complying with applicable ticket resale laws", but I'm having trouble determining exactly what those are in regards to pricing. From what I read, resellers aren't allowed to charge a "premium" but can charge for "services".

I'm going to take the safe route and assume I was wrong about everything.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

mpedone said:
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:
    Lowlight said:

So it happens.

Not any longer
    THIS
    Yeah, looking more into this, it looks like the law is still on the books (maybe), but doesn't apply to StubHub because they're a "licensed reseller"? On their site, they do say that if you're selling tickets, you are "responsible for complying with applicable ticket resale laws", but I'm having trouble determining exactly what those are in regards to pricing. From what I read, resellers aren't allowed to charge a "premium" but can charge for "services".

There have been no limits on secondary ticket markup in New York since 2007. https://ag.ny.gov/pdfs/Ticket_Sales_Report.pdf
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:
    Lowlight said:

So it happens.

Not any longer
    THIS

There have been no limits on secondary ticket markup in New York since 2007. https://ag.ny.gov/pdfs/Ticket_Sales_Report.pdf

Wow. So I was even more wrong than I thought.

mpedone said:
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:
    Lowlight said:

So it happens.

Not any longer
    THIS

Wow. So I was even more wrong than I thought.
    No worries. I remain surprised (annoyed?) by the direction the laws have gone. So it goes. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    SJ54844 said:
    Lowlight said:

So it happens.

There would be a record of  you selling on F2F or anywhere else. Just show your receipt that shows you sold for face and you’d be fine.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    In addition to all the 10c GA tickets on stubhub, about 350 tickets landed there on friday, the same day 10c seat locations were distributed 

Many of these are seats in the 200s row 16 and higher.

This seems to indicate they are 10c burner accounts. Poor seat location = high membership number.

They pay the $20 for a few years and unload a pair for $1000. 

Membership gets deleted. Rinse wash repeat. Membership dues driving up ticket prices.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    In addition to all the 10c GA tickets on stubhub, about 350 tickets landed there on friday, the same day 10c seat locations were distributed 

This seems to indicate they are 10c burner accounts. Poor seat location = high membership number.

Membership gets deleted. Rinse wash repeat. Membership dues driving up ticket prices.
    This is happening for sure and not sure how 10 club can combat this with the NY laws. 
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    PJNB said:

This is happening for sure and not sure how 10 club can combat this with the NY laws. 
    You already know he's going to tell you that they could combat it by playing 25 shows at MSG.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    PJNB said:

Cant it happen anywhere with a burner TM and 10c accounts? There are tickets for the other USA shows available on broker sites, just not on SH.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    PJNB said:

Cant it happen anywhere with a burner TM and 10c accounts? There are tickets for the other USA shows available on broker sites, just not on SH.
    Yes it can but the ease of Stub Hub and the huge demand for shows in MSG it makes it a lot worse for those that are trying to get 10 Club tickets and actually want to go to the show. People on the outside are going to see these scalping prices this tour and its only going to get worse imo. 
  • ClapperClapper Posts: 208

I may be looking at it through rose coloured glasses as someone who 10C MSG tickets but if lets say 500 tickets end up on Stub Hub, that's like 2.5% of the 20k seat capacity at MSG.   Considering the demand for the show, local laws and the size of the market, I feel like 2.5% is a win for us as fans and for the system that put in place. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • I really do feel bad for NYC fans. That is just so wrong. I live in LA now, so thankfully we don't have that re-sell problem. 

I'm just grateful I saw PJ at MSG in '98 and at Jones Beach in '00. If the LORD wants me to see them in NY again in the future, SHE will make it happen.  ;)
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena