10C tickets on stubhub

Comments

• PJNB said:
    In addition to all the 10c GA tickets on stubhub, about 350 tickets landed there on friday, the same day 10c seat locations were distributed 

Many of these are seats in the 200s row 16 and higher.

This seems to indicate they are 10c burner accounts. Poor seat location = high membership number.

They pay the $20 for a few years and unload a pair for $1000. 

Membership gets deleted. Rinse wash repeat. Membership dues driving up ticket prices.
    This is happening for sure and not sure how 10 club can combat this with the NY laws. 
    As per 10C rules for not reselling over face...they could cancel these seats on StubHub and redistribute to accounts that didn't win?
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Clapper said:
    In addition to all the 10c GA tickets on stubhub, about 350 tickets landed there on friday, the same day 10c seat locations were distributed 

I may be looking at it through rose coloured glasses as someone who 10C MSG tickets but if lets say 500 tickets end up on Stub Hub, that's like 2.5% of the 20k seat capacity at MSG.   Considering the demand for the show, local laws and the size of the market, I feel like 2.5% is a win for us as fans and for the system that put in place. 
    I agree with this. Of course I hope the club does whatever it can to police/defeat scalpers who are infiltrating the club lotteries, but on the whole it sure does look like most of the tickets ended up in the right hands. That's frustrating for people who are on the outside looking in - if you're looking for tickets for MSG but are uncomfortable with the current StubHub prices, you should be rooting for more members to list their tickets, and if you're looking for tickets for any of the non-NY/CO shows you're arguable in even worse shape - but hopefully it will make for some killer shows.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    Clapper said:

I may be looking at it through rose coloured glasses as someone who 10C MSG tickets but if lets say 500 tickets end up on Stub Hub, that's like 2.5% of the 20k seat capacity at MSG.   Considering the demand for the show, local laws and the size of the market, I feel like 2.5% is a win for us as fans and for the system that put in place. 

2 other area shows, MCR and Lumineers, one has 1200 and the other has about 900 tickets.

So yes its keeping a few hundred off of SH but the ones on there are so expensive, it has the possibility of bad publicity.

Extraordinary measures are keeping some tickets off but the various ticket policy restrictions are creating margins that are so good it's going to keep attracting the most resourceful scalpers.
    edited February 2020
    PJNB said:

This seems to indicate they are 10c burner accounts. Poor seat location = high membership number.

Membership gets deleted. Rinse wash repeat. Membership dues driving up ticket prices.
    This is happening for sure and not sure how 10 club can combat this with the NY laws. 
    As per 10C rules for not reselling over face...they could cancel these seats on StubHub and redistribute to accounts that didn't win?

They could but I would guess the scalpers will distribute the TM login info day of show to protect the buyer's access and their profit. Since the seller is not sending an actual ticket to the buyer this could complicate tracking down the scalped ticket.

Edit, 

Actually the rules are that membership will be revoked so for NYC and CO there is nothing they can do to stop the sale? 
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited February 2020
    PJNB said:

One membership per household; or a multi-step verification process; must be a member 6 months in advance of shows. 
    Post edited by gettingright on
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • It is wild that amount of tickets for sale on StubHub for NYC show on 3/30 on Thursday was at 289. Then it went up to 563 after everyone started to find out their seating locations. Must just be a strange coincidence I'm sure.. :|
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    It is wild that amount of tickets for sale on StubHub for NYC show on 3/30 on Thursday was at 289. Then it went up to 563 after everyone started to find out their seating locations. Must just be a strange coincidence I'm sure.. :|
    Coincidence confirmed. Def nothing to do with anything specifically 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    PJNB said:

Not release ticket info until the day of or day before the show for states with transfer laws. Would make everyone think twice about putting in for those shows too if they knew they were going to be harder to sell.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:

Not release ticket info until the day of or day before the show for states with transfer laws. Would make everyone think twice about putting in for those shows too if they knew they were going to be harder to sell.
    Are they able to do that? I remember 2016 they mailed out, for a price, hard tickets and still had willcall the day of. Just curious if there is a date that says they have to be transferable before a show or if the day of or day before is good enough.
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    PJNB said:

I'm not entirely sure, but I'd guess doing so is illegal. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    ecdanc said:
    PJNB said:

I think they were able to do it in the past but now that tickets are transferable it could be the fifth person to have those seats transferred to them and they are the ones that decided to flip them. Hard to fault the original 10C member of the tickets at that point. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    I havent been able to find exactly what the scalping laws are in NY. But why does the F2F exchange not meet the transferability requirements? They are transferable via F2F right? Does the law specifically state they also have the right to charge whatever, or just that they need to be transferable? 
    PJNB said:
    ecdanc said:
    PJNB said:

I think they were able to do it in the past but now that tickets are transferable it could be the fifth person to have those seats transferred to them and they are the ones that decided to flip them. Hard to fault the original 10C member of the tickets at that point. 
    If NY state law mandates that tickets are transferrable and sets no limits on resale markup, can the original ticket-seller (whether that by TM, 10c, PJ, whoever) establish a contractual right to invalidate tickets? To put that differently, being a 10c member comes with certain stipulations, so it functions as a contract of sorts. Thus, 10c could cancel our membership for cause. The tickets themselves are separate contracts in which would find the right to cancel (if it exists). I'm skeptical that such stipulations would be legal in states that mandate transferability. 
    It is wild that amount of tickets for sale on StubHub for NYC show on 3/30 on Thursday was at 289. Then it went up to 563 after everyone started to find out their seating locations. Must just be a strange coincidence I'm sure.. :|

It shot up from around 280 to over 625 on friday when 10c locations went out, and I think it's down to 580 now.

Fans are definitely buying.
    PJNB said:

One membership per household; or a multi-step verification process; must be a member 6 months in advance of shows. 

I'd say 18 month advance membership for the lottery  and a separate presale to encourage new members. But the scalpers probably already  have sleeper burner 10c accounts anyway. It's like a james bond movie.

Making fans wait til day of show for seats prevents us from selling at face value if for any reason we can not make the show. We shouldn't be punished because of scalpers.
    ecdanc said:
    PJNB said:
    ecdanc said:
    PJNB said:

If NY state law mandates that tickets are transferrable and sets no limits on resale markup, can the original ticket-seller (whether that by TM, 10c, PJ, whoever) establish a contractual right to invalidate tickets? To put that differently, being a 10c member comes with certain stipulations, so it functions as a contract of sorts. Thus, 10c could cancel our membership for cause. The tickets themselves are separate contracts in which would find the right to cancel (if it exists). I'm skeptical that such stipulations would be legal in states that mandate transferability. 
    I think it's pretty clear that the answer to your question there is "no." If the law says that the tickets must be transferable, you can't say "I hereby agree to sell you a full transferable ticket, but if you avail yourself of the transfer rights I will revoke the ticket" and claim that that's a separate contractual arrangement. If the law permitted 10C to pull transferred tickets on the theory that it's club rules and thus distinguishable from the Ts&Cs of the ticket itself, that would provide a pretty clear roadmap for artists who might want to circumvent the law entirely (a model like U2's where you can sign up for the fan club after the tour is announced - you pay me $1 for "club membership" to access the sale, which membership includes a non-transferability condition with a right of revocation, then pay face value for a (nominally) transferable ticket). 

A separate question though is whether 10C would run afoul of the law by revoking rights to participate in future lotteries - I'll sell you a ticket that you can do with what you wish, but if you transfer it I'm dinging you in some way other than voiding the ticket itself. I genuinely do not know the answer to this, but my guess is that if the club intended to press the issue by revoking memberships, they would have made it more clear in the communications about this tour's tickets. 

One thing to remember though is that the law in question (at least in NY) does actually allow for the sale of non-transferable paperless tickets as long as the buyer has the option to buy paper tickets instead. I wonder if it would have worked for the club to offer members the choice of either taking non-transferable SmarTix to be delivered last week, or old school paper tickets that you could only get at will call.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • ClapperClapper Posts: 208
    tdawe said:

I think it's pretty clear that the answer to your question there is "no." If the law says that the tickets must be transferable, you can't say "I hereby agree to sell you a full transferable ticket, but if you avail yourself of the transfer rights I will revoke the ticket" and claim that that's a separate contractual arrangement. If the law permitted 10C to pull transferred tickets on the theory that it's club rules and thus distinguishable from the Ts&Cs of the ticket itself, that would provide a pretty clear roadmap for artists who might want to circumvent the law entirely (a model like U2's where you can sign up for the fan club after the tour is announced - you pay me $1 for "club membership" to access the sale, which membership includes a non-transferability condition with a right of revocation, then pay face value for a (nominally) transferable ticket). 

A separate question though is whether 10C would run afoul of the law by revoking rights to participate in future lotteries - I'll sell you a ticket that you can do with what you wish, but if you transfer it I'm dinging you in some way other than voiding the ticket itself. I genuinely do not know the answer to this, but my guess is that if the club intended to press the issue by revoking memberships, they would have made it more clear in the communications about this tour's tickets. 

One thing to remember though is that the law in question (at least in NY) does actually allow for the sale of non-transferable paperless tickets as long as the buyer has the option to buy paper tickets instead. I wonder if it would have worked for the club to offer members the choice of either taking non-transferable SmarTix to be delivered last week, or old school paper tickets that you could only get at will call.
    Earlier in the thread I guesstimated that 2.5% of MSG tickets made it to Stub Hub and that ultimately I think that counts as a success for the fans and the band.  You make an interesting point though, at what point does the 10C feel like they have given enough time and resources to it.  Like if 2.5% is the final number of tix that end up on the hub, will they even care to put any additional time, effort and resources into a fight they appear to have won?  As a further  addition, I was wondering about the legality of cancelling tickets.  As a "private" club, I don't believe they need any extensive cause to rescind anyone's membership I'm just not sure they can cancel a ticket purchase without a pile of headaches that hardly seem worth it for the number of tickets that made it into the wild so to speak. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    edited February 2020
    You know what would help thwart the scalping of the MSG show? Announce the Fall tour soon with many shows in the NY area. Sure, there will still be demand for the Spring show, but prices will drop and scalpers will lose some money if other shows are on sale with more supply.
    Post edited by MD190661 on
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• MD190661 said:
    You know what would help thwart the scalping of the is MSG show? Announce the Fall tour soon with many shows in the NY area. Sure, there will still be demand for the Spring show, but prices will drop and scalpers will lose some money if other shows are on sale with more supply.
    Or, just make one NY show a fan club show of those 10C members up to 300xxx (btw, I'm 140xxx). 

Any tickets re-sold will be automatically banned. 
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
    MD190661 said:
    You know what would help thwart the scalping of the is MSG show? Announce the Fall tour soon with many shows in the NY area. Sure, there will still be demand for the Spring show, but prices will drop and scalpers will lose some money if other shows are on sale with more supply.
    It's apples and oranges (or at least apples and much bigger apples), but a couple of years ago Car Seat Headrest created pretty much this exact situation - they released an album and on the initial spring tour their only NY date was at a place in Bushwick that held like 300 people. StubHub prices for the couple months leading up to the show were consistently in the $300-400 range for the small handful of tickets that were even available. Then the week before the show they announced a fall tour with two nights at Brooklyn Steel, and lo and behold a ton of tickets for the spring show hit the marketplace and the prices came down into the $60-70 range by the morning of the show. 
  • MD190661 said:
    I wonder how many shows they would need to do in NYC to thwart scalpers?  10.....20?  Maybe 5 would do it....You would always have the people who want to  have GA....or front row of reserved who would pay a premium...even if they did 100 shows in NYC.   It would be an interesting study.
    MD190661 said:
    I wonder how many shows they would need to do in NYC to thwart scalpers?  10.....20?  Maybe 5 would do it....You would always have the people who want to  have GA....or front row of reserved who would pay a premium...even if they did 100 shows in NYC.   It would be an interesting study.

playing a couple shows in NY combined with 6 overall in the region, similar to the west on this leg, would probably come close to meeting demand, for at least the club. The only reason they did NY now IMO is they want the big city hype for Giga. The N.east shows (plus the empty 3/26 slot) are when the album hits. They must have known they were creating a scalper nightmare with this itinerary. 
    Or, just make one NY show a fan club show of those 10C members up to 300xxx (btw, I'm 140xxx). 

Any tickets re-sold will be automatically banned. 
    I guess suggesting the band do a show in your backyard during a bbq was too outlandish and self serving a solution so you opted for this instead?
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    MD190661 said:
    You know what would help thwart the scalping of the MSG show? Announce the Fall tour soon with many shows in the NY area. Sure, there will still be demand for the Spring show, but prices will drop and scalpers will lose some money if other shows are on sale with more supply.
    What exactly does this fix? Again, less than 3% of the tickets hit the secondary market.  Why would the band play more shows than they want to, and over concentrated in one market just to squash 500 -600 secondary market tickets?  No well run business (I know this will pain the 1995 masses but the band is a business) will deviate from their strategy to humour a small group that they aren’t able to accommodate.  A group, if we’re being honest with ourselves, will likely  never be happy no matter how many concessions are made to placate them.
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2014 - Detroit
  • People do get caught. The ex-husband of someone I work with got booted several years ago trying to sell wrigley takes over face. I don’t know they got caught, just that they did and had tickets revoked and received a lifetime ban. 

So it happens.

I am curious, however, how the state law may or may not trump the 10C policy tickets can’t be sold over face value. Like if someone in NY or CO sells over face, gets caught and has tickets revoked, and then sues 10C for their action, who would win?

In my city, you can sell college football tickets for whatever price you want. The face value might be $160, but the scalpers may have them for $300 or even higher. The university doesn't care.

The NY and CO laws basically just say that resale tickets must be available, right?

The members agree to certain rules and regulations upon joining Ten Club.

Ten Club wins this one any day of the week. It's their club and their rules.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • In addition to all the 10c GA tickets on stubhub, about 350 tickets landed there on friday, the same day 10c seat locations were distributed 

Bingo. To professional scalpers, the membership fees are merely a bump. They'll use new employees to their companies. They'll use pre-paid cards.

They've got it down...and they don't care.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    People do get caught. The ex-husband of someone I work with got booted several years ago trying to sell wrigley takes over face. I don’t know they got caught, just that they did and had tickets revoked and received a lifetime ban. 

So it happens.

I am curious, however, how the state law may or may not trump the 10C policy tickets can’t be sold over face value. Like if someone in NY or CO sells over face, gets caught and has tickets revoked, and then sues 10C for their action, who would win?

In my city, you can sell college football tickets for whatever price you want. The face value might be $160, but the scalpers may have them for $300 or even higher. The university doesn't care.

The NY and CO laws basically just say that resale tickets must be available, right?

The members agree to certain rules and regulations upon joining Ten Club.

Ten Club wins this one any day of the week. It's their club and their rules.
    Not sure about CO, but the NY laws say a lot more than that. I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt a) it's that simple; and b) 10c would ever consider it worth it to invalidate tickets if the law is not 100% clear. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    mace1229 said:
    I havent been able to find exactly what the scalping laws are in NY. But why does the F2F exchange not meet the transferability requirements? They are transferable via F2F right? Does the law specifically state they also have the right to charge whatever, or just that they need to be transferable? 

I don't know that the NY tickets aren't allowed on F2F (I've only seen that from one poster who got it from a TM CSR, and they've been wrong numerous times about this process already), but I agree with others on here who argue there's no point to having them on the F2F.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    mpedone said:
    mace1229 said:

I don't know that the NY tickets aren't allowed on F2F (I've only seen that from one poster who got it from a TM CSR, and they've been wrong numerous times about this process already), but I agree with others on here who argue there's no point to having them on the F2F.
    This is from the ticket delivery email. Makes it pretty clear: 

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:
    mace1229 said:

This is from the ticket delivery email. Makes it pretty clear: 

Okay, if you're just going to prove me wrong all the time... :wink:

I totally missed the second asterisk. My second point still stands though - there's no reason to have those tickets on the F2F site.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."