10C tickets on stubhub

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited February 2020
    Resellers for the sole purpose of flipping tickets for a profit are vultures. They are not providing a service they are taking tickets away from fans at face and selling them way above market value. Why is this so hard to understand? 

One more time. 

If scalpers did not buy tickets more fans that wanted to go get to go for face value. Someone is not going to the the hot shows of this tour secondary market or not. All secondary markets do is let the rich go to shows for a price and the poor are shit out of luck since they had their seats taken from them in the public sale from a vulture. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
    This is coming from someone that is fairly well off and has paid multiple times on the secondary market for tickets and got into shows I probably would not have gotten into if something like what Pearl Jam has set up now was set up then. I honestly would rather more fans to go at face and me not go then me spend $500 on a ticket like I have done and got to go. 
  • PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Their fans are going no matter what, with the exception of STHs and industry tickets.

The only question is how much will the unlucky fans pay. Bands that dont "intervene" in the market present secondary options for fans as a last resort for less than this band does, historically. And it's off the charts this tour. This will attract even more scalpers seeking huge margins in the future.
    you keep saying things like "intervene" is if pearl jam has no right to set controls on their own market.   This IS THE MARKET.  They did not intervene, they have dictated the rules of their marketplace.   That New York is a screwed up outlier is a small price to pay for how many tickets got in fans hands.  
    They placed restrictions on their ticketing unlike any other band and they have resale prices unlike any other band. There are resale tickets available for all the shows, they only made it difficult to find because they're not on stubhub.To believe they can fully dictate a market is unrealistic. 

Edit, is it fair to put words in another fans "mouth?"

Did I say it wasn't within their right?

when you keep saying things like "intervene" as in, "Pearl Jam Intervened with the market" - it kinda sounds like you are at least insinuating that they don't have that right.  What I am saying is they did not intervene, they got sick of being told they can't set their market conditions. That is not intervention, that is setting the grounds for how they do business.   That every other band is inherently lazy in how they do this, because it takes work is on them, as much as it was 25 years ago when everyone but Neil Young basically shrugged their shoulders. 

in so far as fully dictate a market, it may be unrealistic, but it sure beats the apathy that allows vultures to assist in resetting the terms of how a fan can get a ticket to a show.  Any fan that is willing to pay for access to a resellers Ticketmaster account for the duration of a show that doesn't accept the extremely high likelihood that they are going to get scammed or locked out of the venue is on them.

I dont believe it's fair to call artists lazy or resellers vultures. In many cases resellers are providing a service to customers when no other options exist and helping artists learn what is the true market value of their tickets. Most are not as successful as PJ and this info is valuable for them. The Supreme Court has ruled in most cases resale is legal. I am not aware of a specific limitation on concert tickets, but obviously artist can try to limit resale to their events by essentially making it a private event.

By setting an artificially low price to their tickets, I am calling that " interference " with the market. This helps increase demand and reduce supply, which is having an impact on resale prices. In most cases in a capitalist society, markets set prices. PJ clearly doesnt want this to occur. They can limit it in most places but not eliminate it. And in NY and CO, there were over two thousand tickets available for resale. There are also tickets available online for every other show, perhaps a couple hundred per on average.

Limiting supply and increasing demand is having an obvious impact on the prices of these tickets.
    The bottom line is that the band and its management made a conscious decision to keep prices down and get their tickets to as many fans as they can at reasonable prices.  Sure they can let the market dictate prices, and their shows will have all the soul and enthusiasm as a Yankees baseball game as a result.  You can call it interference or anything else you want.  I'm very happy that Pearl Jam respects its fans by keeping its tickets prices reasonable.  I love Bruce Springsteen and U2, but I'd rather stay home than pay $500 for a decent seat at their shows.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I had a ten club member offer my wife a pair in the upper section at msg fir $400Each. Acted like they were doing us a favor because those tickets were $550 each on stubhub. But doesn’t stub hub take a fee off of your sale price? 
    Report them. 
    Not really my style. Karma will get them 
    Man, I would report that in a second. Especially if I lost the lottery and that person took a pair that could have been mine. That's someone who needs to be out of the pool.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I had a ten club member offer my wife a pair in the upper section at msg fir $400Each. Acted like they were doing us a favor because those tickets were $550 each on stubhub. But doesn’t stub hub take a fee off of your sale price? 
    Report them. 
    Man, I would report that in a second. Especially if I lost the lottery and that person took a pair that could have been mine. That's someone who needs to be out of the pool.
    I hear you. It actually happened again, different t person, on these very boards today through pm. Sucks when you get super excited only to then get disappointed by greed. 
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    I hear you. It actually happened again, different t person, on these very boards today through pm. Sucks when you get super excited only to then get disappointed by greed. 
    Are you willing to pay over face value?
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    Unreal that people have the stones to scalp on here
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    Yes of course. If I have to. Just didn’t expect it to be on here. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    I wonder if you'd have to report it or if they could read this thread and check out your PMs

pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    I wonder if you'd have to report it or if they could read this thread and check out your PMs

Meh. I’d hope they’d need permission to do something like that to be honest. 
  • I found the quote below from this article : https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/ticketmasters-statement-on-those-trying-to-re-sell-tickets-for-pearl-jams-gigaton-tour/

Today (February 5), Ticketmaster issued this statement:

The non-transferability of Gigaton tickets has been extensively communicated to fans from the outset and is prominently featured at every step of the discovery and purchase process. To eliminate confusion among the secondary market and broker communities, we also sent them a notification advising that tickets for this tour are not available for resale. Only SafeTix mobile tickets will be valid for entry, and SafeTix tickets can only be issued directly from Ticketmaster.

• PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Their fans are going no matter what, with the exception of STHs and industry tickets.

The only question is how much will the unlucky fans pay. Bands that dont "intervene" in the market present secondary options for fans as a last resort for less than this band does, historically. And it's off the charts this tour. This will attract even more scalpers seeking huge margins in the future.
    you keep saying things like "intervene" is if pearl jam has no right to set controls on their own market.   This IS THE MARKET.  They did not intervene, they have dictated the rules of their marketplace.   That New York is a screwed up outlier is a small price to pay for how many tickets got in fans hands.  
    They placed restrictions on their ticketing unlike any other band and they have resale prices unlike any other band. There are resale tickets available for all the shows, they only made it difficult to find because they're not on stubhub.To believe they can fully dictate a market is unrealistic. 

when you keep saying things like "intervene" as in, "Pearl Jam Intervened with the market" - it kinda sounds like you are at least insinuating that they don't have that right.  What I am saying is they did not intervene, they got sick of being told they can't set their market conditions. That is not intervention, that is setting the grounds for how they do business.   That every other band is inherently lazy in how they do this, because it takes work is on them, as much as it was 25 years ago when everyone but Neil Young basically shrugged their shoulders. 

in so far as fully dictate a market, it may be unrealistic, but it sure beats the apathy that allows vultures to assist in resetting the terms of how a fan can get a ticket to a show.  Any fan that is willing to pay for access to a resellers Ticketmaster account for the duration of a show that doesn't accept the extremely high likelihood that they are going to get scammed or locked out of the venue is on them.

I dont believe it's fair to call artists lazy or resellers vultures. In many cases resellers are providing a service to customers when no other options exist and helping artists learn what is the true market value of their tickets. Most are not as successful as PJ and this info is valuable for them. The Supreme Court has ruled in most cases resale is legal. I am not aware of a specific limitation on concert tickets, but obviously artist can try to limit resale to their events by essentially making it a private event.

By setting an artificially low price to their tickets, I am calling that " interference " with the market. This helps increase demand and reduce supply, which is having an impact on resale prices. In most cases in a capitalist society, markets set prices. PJ clearly doesnt want this to occur. They can limit it in most places but not eliminate it. And in NY and CO, there were over two thousand tickets available for resale. There are also tickets available online for every other show, perhaps a couple hundred per on average.

Limiting supply and increasing demand is having an obvious impact on the prices of these tickets.

Your arguments get stupider and stupider the longer you keep going.  They have been slightly entertaining for a few days, but now they are just boring.  Thanks for your opinion.  Now go troll on another page.
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    Are you saying you're unwilling to buy their tickets or that you didn't like their price?
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    Hey, Pearl Jam announced another show in NY. It's probably not going to help the StubHub situation.

It does answer the question of why they didn't play another show on the 26th.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    Unreal that people have the stones to scalp on here
    I'd report them and not feel bad about it at all.  A 10C member trying to charge another member 4X the price of a ticket is bullshit. I don't pretend that people don't do it.  But to openly flaunt it on the band's forum is just asking to get called out.
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    Are you saying you're unwilling to buy their tickets or that you didn't like their price?
    What does it matter to you? 
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    Just helping everyone here identify the problem. 
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    There’s no problem. 10c members scalp and flip all the time. Most don’t, some  do. It’s my problem to deal with and my choice to report it or not. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    There’s no problem. 10c members scalp and flip all the time. Most don’t, some  do. It’s my problem to deal with and my choice to report it or not. 
    There seem to be plenty of people here that think the secondary market is a problem. 
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    There seem to be plenty of people here that think the secondary market is a problem. 
    Not for me. It’s the only way I will get into the show. Unless I get lucky with a TC member, which doesn’t look likely. So I’m good. Thanks. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    Not for me. It’s the only way I will get into the show. Unless I get lucky with a TC member, which doesn’t look likely. So I’m good. Thanks. 
    See: helping people identify the problem. 
  • ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 
    See: helping people identify the problem. 
    If you took all the tickets off stubhub and gave them to us, there would still be thousands of people who want to go, and then Nicky wouldn't even have the *option* to purchase a ticket on the secondary market.

There will never be enough tickets for everyone who wants to see them unless they only play stadiums and festivals.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

Your arguments get stupider and stupider the longer you keep going.  They have been slightly entertaining for a few days, but now they are just boring.  Thanks for your opinion.  Now go troll on another page.

People who attack others are trolls. People who cite facts are smart.

Why is it only comments that support the band get moderated?

Thanks for possibly getting this topic shut down.

Obviously you have no idea whatsoever of the laws of supply and demand nor the First Sale Doctrine 

That gives me the right to resell a cd of any recorded performance of PJ I legally purchased. What my earlier comment mentions is that I am unfamiliar with the Court ruling of how this Doctrine is applied to entertainment tickets.

Since their live performances end up for sale, and I have the right to resell physical copies of that recording, it's certainly an interesting argument that the actual recording of their live CDs fall under First Sale.
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

The culture here is certainly unique. It's a "problem" if you legally pay $750 for a resale ticket, but if you spend $1000 or $10,000 to travel because the band never satisfies demand in your hometown, then its ok.
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

The culture here is certainly unique. It's a "problem" if you legally pay $750 for a resale ticket, but if you spend $1000 or $10,000 to travel because the band never satisfies demand in your hometown, then its ok.
    Could you imagine a world where people buy up seats on a plane and flip them on planehub for a profit. That would be an amazing service to us people looking to fly around the world! 
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Forget it Jake. It’s Lerxstown. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

Well said.  We all love Pearl Jam, but there are are SO many of us.  We're not a totally homogeneous fanbase.  As much as we have in common, we come from different places and perspectives, which is okay.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

Could you imagine a world where people buy up seats on a plane and flip them on planehub for a profit. That would be an amazing service to us people looking to fly around the world! 

Excellent analogy. Plane tickets are available from the carriers and many different aggregate sites. Plane tickets cost also increases and decreases based on supply and demand

Concert tickets are usually available from one source. And usually a set price. 
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

Excellent analogy. Plane tickets are available from the carriers and many different aggregate sites. Plane tickets cost also increases and decreases based on supply and demand

You obviously have not been following TM dynamic pricing. 

Wait you actually have....
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

You obviously have not been following TM dynamic pricing. 

Wait you actually have....
    You’re wasting your time. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024