ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I had a ten club member offer my wife a pair in the upper section at msg fir $400Each. Acted like they were doing us a favor because those tickets were $550 each on stubhub. But doesn’t stub hub take a fee off of your sale price? 
    Report them. 
    Not really my style. Karma will get them 
    Man, I would report that in a second. Especially if I lost the lottery and that person took a pair that could have been mine. That's someone who needs to be out of the pool.
    I hear you. It actually happened again, different t person, on these very boards today through pm. Sucks when you get super excited only to then get disappointed by greed. 
    Are you willing to pay over face value?
    Yes of course. If I have to. Just didn’t expect it to be on here. 
    Are you saying you're unwilling to buy their tickets or that you didn't like their price?
    What does it matter to you? 

The culture here is certainly unique. It's a "problem" if you legally pay $750 for a resale ticket, but if you spend $1000 or $10,000 to travel because the band never satisfies demand in your hometown, then its ok.
    Could you imagine a world where people buy up seats on a plane and flip them on planehub for a profit. That would be an amazing service to us people looking to fly around the world! 

Excellent analogy. Plane tickets are available from the carriers and many different aggregate sites. Plane tickets cost also increases and decreases based on supply and demand

Concert tickets are usually available from one source. And usually a set price. 
    You obviously have not been following TM dynamic pricing. 

Wait you actually have....
    You’re wasting your time. 

Yes it is a complete waste. We are too busy with endless song requests to read and bullying a stupid member like me who believes some level of a safe free market ticketing system is a good thing in the United States.

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    edited February 2020
    I really do feel bad for NYC fans. That is just so wrong. I live in LA now, so thankfully we don't have that re-sell problem. 

I'm just grateful I saw PJ at MSG in '98 and at Jones Beach in '00. If the LORD wants me to see them in NY again in the future, SHE will make it happen.  ;)
    Well said!! SInce I was denied on my first attempt at at MSG show, if there is another MSG show in the future, I pray that the stars will align next time and that SHE will help me get a seat at the show!!  ;)
    Post edited by bgirl59 on
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I had a ten club member offer my wife a pair in the upper section at msg fir $400Each. Acted like they were doing us a favor because those tickets were $550 each on stubhub. But doesn’t stub hub take a fee off of your sale price? 
    Report them. 
    Man, I would report that in a second. Especially if I lost the lottery and that person took a pair that could have been mine. That's someone who needs to be out of the pool.
    I hear you. It actually happened again, different t person, on these very boards today through pm. Sucks when you get super excited only to then get disappointed by greed. 
    Are you saying you're unwilling to buy their tickets or that you didn't like their price?

The culture here is certainly unique. It's a "problem" if you legally pay $750 for a resale ticket, but if you spend $1000 or $10,000 to travel because the band never satisfies demand in your hometown, then its ok.
    Could you imagine a world where people buy up seats on a plane and flip them on planehub for a profit. That would be an amazing service to us people looking to fly around the world! 

Billy Joel's mostly sold out 2/20 MSG show cheapest ticket on Ticketmaster right now is $101+ fees and $62+ on stub hub. Similar seats. 

Why is incumbent on many others here to attack and belittle without facts? Tdaweville?
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Their fans are going no matter what, with the exception of STHs and industry tickets.

The only question is how much will the unlucky fans pay. Bands that dont "intervene" in the market present secondary options for fans as a last resort for less than this band does, historically. And it's off the charts this tour. This will attract even more scalpers seeking huge margins in the future.
    you keep saying things like "intervene" is if pearl jam has no right to set controls on their own market.   This IS THE MARKET.  They did not intervene, they have dictated the rules of their marketplace.   That New York is a screwed up outlier is a small price to pay for how many tickets got in fans hands.  
    They placed restrictions on their ticketing unlike any other band and they have resale prices unlike any other band. There are resale tickets available for all the shows, they only made it difficult to find because they're not on stubhub.To believe they can fully dictate a market is unrealistic. 

Edit, is it fair to put words in another fans "mouth?"

Did I say it wasn't within their right?

when you keep saying things like "intervene" as in, "Pearl Jam Intervened with the market" - it kinda sounds like you are at least insinuating that they don't have that right.  What I am saying is they did not intervene, they got sick of being told they can't set their market conditions. That is not intervention, that is setting the grounds for how they do business.   That every other band is inherently lazy in how they do this, because it takes work is on them, as much as it was 25 years ago when everyone but Neil Young basically shrugged their shoulders. 

in so far as fully dictate a market, it may be unrealistic, but it sure beats the apathy that allows vultures to assist in resetting the terms of how a fan can get a ticket to a show.  Any fan that is willing to pay for access to a resellers Ticketmaster account for the duration of a show that doesn't accept the extremely high likelihood that they are going to get scammed or locked out of the venue is on them.

I dont believe it's fair to call artists lazy or resellers vultures. In many cases resellers are providing a service to customers when no other options exist and helping artists learn what is the true market value of their tickets. Most are not as successful as PJ and this info is valuable for them. The Supreme Court has ruled in most cases resale is legal. I am not aware of a specific limitation on concert tickets, but obviously artist can try to limit resale to their events by essentially making it a private event.

By setting an artificially low price to their tickets, I am calling that " interference " with the market. This helps increase demand and reduce supply, which is having an impact on resale prices. In most cases in a capitalist society, markets set prices. PJ clearly doesnt want this to occur. They can limit it in most places but not eliminate it. And in NY and CO, there were over two thousand tickets available for resale. There are also tickets available online for every other show, perhaps a couple hundred per on average.

Limiting supply and increasing demand is having an obvious impact on the prices of these tickets.
    Resellers are fucking vultures.  They are parasites.  They created a "business" to appease frenetic fans that would pay more than the artist has decided they want to accept in order profit off of something that is NOT FUCKING THEIRS!   

The secondary market is not a true value it is a distorted view of the value based on the same thing you keep reaching back to, limited supply and high demand.  The concert industry has been plagued by this for years because inherently, certain shows have insane demand, and in places such as New York City and the greater metro area, there are a shit ton of people and a lot of people with excessive disposable income within that shit ton and then also suckers who are willing to get financially raked over the goals because, frenetic fan syndrome.

Just because the supreme court has ruled in some cases that resale is legal that a band has to succumb to it and allow it.

You are claiming the price is artificially low, because you want it to be higher to basically guarantee your preferred access.  That does not make the condition so.  That is what we call making things up to benefit the argument.

In most cases in a free market society, the individual or individuals producing a product decide what they want to sell it for, if people buy it for that amount the product will continue to be made and bought until no one wants or needs it any longer.  Free markets do not dictate that prices have to be high, the producer of the product can absolutely reject someone trying to pay more for their goods and services.   When a vulture/parasite (or do-gooder re-seller if that is more appropriate) steps in grabs a bunch of a limited supply to create artificial demand to an already fixed supply and thus profit off of something they had ZERO hand in producing - ie they don't put on the show, they don't promote the show, they don't pay the crew, they'd don't pay the venue fees and they don't pay the artist, that is not Capitalism, it is scamonomics.   It is taking advantage of a thing for personal gain in which they had no material right to.  

It is amazing that we have come to a point and time when people are actually arguing that individuals that provide absolutely no function or service other than to profit off of someone else's labor because fans are gullible.

Pearl Jam tickets are not boxes of Cheerios.  Go figure.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

Probably because this has been pretty normal here for a while, both because fans are willing to travel, and because there are a lot of fans who don't live in the Northeast.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

Billy Joel's mostly sold out 2/20 MSG show cheapest ticket on Ticketmaster right now is $101+ fees and $62+ on stub hub. Similar seats. 

Why is incumbent on many others here to attack and belittle without facts? Tdaweville?
    He plays there once a month....call up the guys in PJ and ask them to drop by NY once a month....there is your endless supply...and, as we have been so eloquently told in this thread, demand should drop allowing people to buy a $120 ticket for $70 on stubhub....
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

It is certainly okay if you want to justify paying 6x what the producer of a product has decided they want to accept for their product and give that approximately $600ish dollars to somebody who eats carcasses.  

But in a free market or capitalist society spending money to travel benefits

-the airlines who operate a business and supports employees 
    -the hotels who operate a business and support employees
    -the restaurants, shops, tourism sites, etc etal 

The great do-gooder re-seller getting $625 to basically fuck with peoples minds because eh, they have worked at manipulating the system, what an enormous value to the greater society they provide.  

PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

He plays there once a month....call up the guys in PJ and ask them to drop by NY once a month....there is your endless supply...and, as we have been so eloquently told in this thread, demand should drop allowing people to buy a $120 ticket for $70 on stubhub....
    Image result for bingo gifImage result for bingo gifImage result for bingo gif

PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

That's basically what he wants, which strikes me as the definition of entitlement. It's the attitude of "The band should do THIS to satisfy ME."
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Their fans are going no matter what, with the exception of STHs and industry tickets.

The only question is how much will the unlucky fans pay. Bands that dont "intervene" in the market present secondary options for fans as a last resort for less than this band does, historically. And it's off the charts this tour. This will attract even more scalpers seeking huge margins in the future.
    you keep saying things like "intervene" is if pearl jam has no right to set controls on their own market.   This IS THE MARKET.  They did not intervene, they have dictated the rules of their marketplace.   That New York is a screwed up outlier is a small price to pay for how many tickets got in fans hands.  
    They placed restrictions on their ticketing unlike any other band and they have resale prices unlike any other band. There are resale tickets available for all the shows, they only made it difficult to find because they're not on stubhub.To believe they can fully dictate a market is unrealistic. 

when you keep saying things like "intervene" as in, "Pearl Jam Intervened with the market" - it kinda sounds like you are at least insinuating that they don't have that right.  What I am saying is they did not intervene, they got sick of being told they can't set their market conditions. That is not intervention, that is setting the grounds for how they do business.   That every other band is inherently lazy in how they do this, because it takes work is on them, as much as it was 25 years ago when everyone but Neil Young basically shrugged their shoulders. 

in so far as fully dictate a market, it may be unrealistic, but it sure beats the apathy that allows vultures to assist in resetting the terms of how a fan can get a ticket to a show.  Any fan that is willing to pay for access to a resellers Ticketmaster account for the duration of a show that doesn't accept the extremely high likelihood that they are going to get scammed or locked out of the venue is on them.

I dont believe it's fair to call artists lazy or resellers vultures. In many cases resellers are providing a service to customers when no other options exist and helping artists learn what is the true market value of their tickets. Most are not as successful as PJ and this info is valuable for them. The Supreme Court has ruled in most cases resale is legal. I am not aware of a specific limitation on concert tickets, but obviously artist can try to limit resale to their events by essentially making it a private event.

By setting an artificially low price to their tickets, I am calling that " interference " with the market. This helps increase demand and reduce supply, which is having an impact on resale prices. In most cases in a capitalist society, markets set prices. PJ clearly doesnt want this to occur. They can limit it in most places but not eliminate it. And in NY and CO, there were over two thousand tickets available for resale. There are also tickets available online for every other show, perhaps a couple hundred per on average.

Limiting supply and increasing demand is having an obvious impact on the prices of these tickets.

You are claiming the price is artificially low, because you want it to be higher to basically guarantee your preferred access.  That does not make the condition so.  That is what we call making things up to benefit the argument.

It is amazing that we have come to a point and time when people are actually arguing that individuals that provide absolutely no function or service other than to profit off of someone else's labor because fans are gullible.

Hey man I appreciate that comment. And many misrepresent why I stubbornly stick to my guns here. I am sticking to what I believe to be honest and true, hoping to stick to facts.

I cut down your comment where you addressed what I want. I think I mentioned I have access to an out of town ticket but am looking at resale tix if I can get in for what my ticket + travel + inconvenience of a long drive would be. That could very well be $700+ on stub hub. Not exactly what I want but might be best option.

I dont want higher ticket prices. I am just noting we are seeing a very low face price here (in comparison to what other A list acts charge). 

And I agree tickets are not a box of cheerios.  Very funny line.  But recorded music is subject to legal resale and "vultures" do make a ton of $ on vintage music. And there are times stub offers a valuable service, such as the Joel tickets I cited earlier.
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

I’m actually doing my best not to attack or belittle. The MSG show is a very tough ticket, and anyone paying attention knew it would be a tough ticket before it went on sale. Some people who want to go will not be able to make it in. If you end up being one of them, I’m truly sorry. But you are obviously determined to blame it on someone (the band and/or club), even though your complaints (which have been constantly shifting and often contradictory) have been addressed several times over the last couple of weeks. I’ve tried doing it politely, but I’m running out of ideas without getting impolite. So I’m done, and my advice to everyone else is to be done too. 

If the above makes you feel bullied, I don’t know what to tell you. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
    mpedone said:
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

That's basically what he wants, which strikes me as the definition of entitlement. It's the attitude of "The band should do THIS to satisfy ME."

Is it ever possible in online forums for people to read what's written vs what they want it to say? I'm providing an example of stub hub providing a good and legal service for fans with a 40% discount in a free market. Where am I saying this is the exact same situation as the Giga tour? Yes part of the reason demand is high is lack of east shows.  But that is the bands right to do what they want. They certainly dont answer to me nor do I want them to.
    tdawe said:
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

I’m actually doing my best not to attack or belittle. The MSG show is a very tough ticket, and anyone paying attention knew it would be a tough ticket before it went on sale. Some people who want to go will not be able to make it in. If you end up being one of them, I’m truly sorry. But you are obviously determined to blame it on someone (the band and/or club), even though your complaints (which have been constantly shifting and often contradictory) have been addressed several times over the last couple of weeks. I’ve tried doing it politely, but I’m running out of ideas without getting impolite. So I’m done, and my advice to everyone else is to be done too. 

If the above makes you feel bullied, I don’t know what to tell you. 
    I do have access to a show, so I'm not sure your thesis about me assigning blame is warranted. Trying to discuss impacts of supply/demand is not blaming. Popular bands have every right to work in the manner they wish.
  • mpedone said:
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

Is it ever possible in online forums for people to read what's written vs what they want it to say? I'm providing an example of stub hub providing a good and legal service for fans with a 40% discount in a free market. Where am I saying this is the exact same situation as the Giga tour? Yes part of the reason demand is high is lack of east shows.  But that is the bands right to do what they want. They certainly dont answer to me nor do I want them to.
    Image result for moving target gif
    PB11041 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

It is certainly okay if you want to justify paying 6x what the producer of a product has decided they want to accept for their product and give that approximately $600ish dollars to somebody who eats carcasses.  

But in a free market or capitalist society spending money to travel benefits

-the airlines who operate a business and supports employees 
    -the hotels who operate a business and support employees
    -the restaurants, shops, tourism sites, etc etal 

The great do-gooder re-seller getting $625 to basically fuck with peoples minds because eh, they have worked at manipulating the system, what an enormous value to the greater society they provide.  

I fully agree it's wrong to manipulate the market. When they use bots it is wrong and now illegal IIRC. Just because I support free markets does not mean I support those who manipulate them. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    tdawe said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

Excellent analogy. Plane tickets are available from the carriers and many different aggregate sites. Plane tickets cost also increases and decreases based on supply and demand

Yes it is a complete waste. We are too busy with endless song requests to read and bullying a stupid member like me who believes some level of a safe free market ticketing system is a good thing in the United States.

You spend 12 hours a day making antagonistic posts. You're not being attacked or bullied.
    mpedone said:
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

Sorry, it was a comment on all of your posting over the past few weeks, nothing specific to a recent post.

• ZodZod Posts: 10,525
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

Resellers are fucking vultures.  They are parasites.  They created a "business" to appease frenetic fans that would pay more than the artist has decided they want to accept in order profit off of something that is NOT FUCKING THEIRS!   

The secondary market is not a true value it is a distorted view of the value based on the same thing you keep reaching back to, limited supply and high demand.  The concert industry has been plagued by this for years because inherently, certain shows have insane demand, and in places such as New York City and the greater metro area, there are a shit ton of people and a lot of people with excessive disposable income within that shit ton and then also suckers who are willing to get financially raked over the goals because, frenetic fan syndrome.

Just because the supreme court has ruled in some cases that resale is legal that a band has to succumb to it and allow it.

In most cases in a free market society, the individual or individuals producing a product decide what they want to sell it for, if people buy it for that amount the product will continue to be made and bought until no one wants or needs it any longer.  Free markets do not dictate that prices have to be high, the producer of the product can absolutely reject someone trying to pay more for their goods and services.   When a vulture/parasite (or do-gooder re-seller if that is more appropriate) steps in grabs a bunch of a limited supply to create artificial demand to an already fixed supply and thus profit off of something they had ZERO hand in producing - ie they don't put on the show, they don't promote the show, they don't pay the crew, they'd don't pay the venue fees and they don't pay the artist, that is not Capitalism, it is scamonomics.   It is taking advantage of a thing for personal gain in which they had no material right to.  

I disagree.   When a company is setting prices they're looking at price/quantity/demand.   They try to find the price where that can maximize revenue.  Price x Quantity.  If only 100 people will buy the good at 200, 500 will buy it at 150, but 700 would buy it at 100, then 500 is the sweet spot.  The thing is, you're leaving money off the table.  There's 100 people that would pay $50 more for your good.  Tiered pricing is a much more efficient means to maximize revenues, but it's hard to pull off on goods you buy in a store.

Scalpers/Resellers figured this out a long time ago.  While some fans might be only willing to pay $100 for a ticket, many fans would pay $250.  Thus there's an opportunity to buy the tickets low and sell them high.

That's why TM has been creating all these new services.   Tiered Pricing, Demand Based Pricing, Platinum tickets etc.... It allows the promoters/bands to do all of this directly, and take all this revenue they've been leaving on the table.    As much as PJ asked TM to develop systems to restrict resale (to keep prices down), other bands/promoters asked them to build out these systems to earn more revenue.  TM has now built out the PJ system to restrict resale, so they can charge a flat rate below the value of the tickets, without them being resold,  or variable systems for bands/promoters that want to maximize revenue.   They've got something for everyone now.   This doesn't even need resellers anymore.   Bands/TM are getting better every year at absorbing what scalpers had been taking for decades.   There's a significant portion of the population willing to pay more for the concert experience.  Thus they can sell more expensive tix to those people, and cheaper tickets to those who don't.   If you play a venue smaller than you should, then it's easier to fill it with the people willing to pay more.

When you look at other big shows like GNR or the Stones.   They're ticket pricing is insane.  Impressive but insane.  It's not just the scalpers earning the profits anymore.   Bands were simply leaving wads of cash off the table for decades.  Pearl Jam still does.

• LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Bands were simply leaving wads of cash off the table for decades.  Pearl Jam still does.

Yes. Intentionally. They want to leave that money in their fans’ pockets, not give it to scalpers. They aren’t dumb. They know how much they can get for their tickets. They choose not to, for the benefit of their fans. This is why they insisted on such massive allocation to 10c. 

What they are doing is economically irrational, but socially benevolent. Personally, I love it. 
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Lostpawn said:
    Bands were simply leaving wads of cash off the table for decades.  Pearl Jam still does.

Yes. Intentionally. They want to leave that money in their fans’ pockets, not give it to scalpers. They aren’t dumb. They know how much they can get for their tickets. They choose not to, for the benefit of their fans. This is why they insisted on such massive allocation to 10c. 

What they are doing is economically irrational, but socially benevolent. Personally, I love it. 
    It’s not necessarily economically irrational. They’re playing a longer game. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
    tdawe said:
    Lostpawn said:

It’s not necessarily economically irrational. They’re playing a longer game. 
    also bingo...

pjl44 said:
    tdawe said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Report them. 

You spend 12 hours a day making antagonistic posts. You're not being attacked or bullied.

I’ve been off this topic 4+ hours. High five?

I believe in supply/demand and the band is playing very few shows east of Mississippi (I’m not judging nor am I saying woe is me). Never in a million years did I figure those to be controversial  opinions.

Zod said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

I disagree.   When a company is setting prices they're looking at price/quantity/demand.   They try to find the price where that can maximize revenue.  Price x Quantity.  If only 100 people will buy the good at 200, 500 will buy it at 150, but 700 would buy it at 100, then 500 is the sweet spot.  The thing is, you're leaving money off the table.  There's 100 people that would pay $50 more for your good.  Tiered pricing is a much more efficient means to maximize revenues, but it's hard to pull off on goods you buy in a store.

Scalpers/Resellers figured this out a long time ago.  While some fans might be only willing to pay $100 for a ticket, many fans would pay $250.  Thus there's an opportunity to buy the tickets low and sell them high.

That's why TM has been creating all these new services.   Tiered Pricing, Demand Based Pricing, Platinum tickets etc.... It allows the promoters/bands to do all of this directly, and take all this revenue they've been leaving on the table.    As much as PJ asked TM to develop systems to restrict resale (to keep prices down), other bands/promoters asked them to build out these systems to earn more revenue.  TM has now built out the PJ system to restrict resale, so they can charge a flat rate below the value of the tickets, without them being resold,  or variable systems for bands/promoters that want to maximize revenue.   They've got something for everyone now.   This doesn't even need resellers anymore.   Bands/TM are getting better every year at absorbing what scalpers had been taking for decades.   There's a significant portion of the population willing to pay more for the concert experience.  Thus they can sell more expensive tix to those people, and cheaper tickets to those who don't.   If you play a venue smaller than you should, then it's easier to fill it with the people willing to pay more.

When you look at other big shows like GNR or the Stones.   They're ticket pricing is insane.  Impressive but insane.  It's not just the scalpers earning the profits anymore.   Bands were simply leaving wads of cash off the table for decades.  Pearl Jam still does.

As a few have said, PJ is playing the long game by ignoring the pricing options you mention and they had the luxury to do so because of their overwhelming popularity and the huge loyalty they generated from their tenure policy. Many bands need to maximize ticket revenue. Both methods pick winners and losers.

At times SH has cheaper tickets. And other times, fans might want to see a sold out show. The resellers provide that option. I like having that option, although it’s not that often I’ll pay excessive prices. I do not like when a band “orders“ me not to take that option. To me it smells anti capitalistic. I’m just a family man with an opinion. Perhaps one day a fan will try to test the first sale doctrine in the live entertainment business. 

• AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    edited February 2020
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

I don’t think you understand how basic supply and demand economics work in a Capitalist society.
    Post edited by AllNiteThing on
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young