10C tickets on stubhub

Comments

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    edited February 2020
    [deleted - double post]
    Post edited by mpedone on
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    edited February 2020
    Clapper said:
    MD190661 said:
    You know what would help thwart the scalping of the MSG show? Announce the Fall tour soon with many shows in the NY area. Sure, there will still be demand for the Spring show, but prices will drop and scalpers will lose some money if other shows are on sale with more supply.
    What exactly does this fix? Again, less than 3% of the tickets hit the secondary market.  Why would the band play more shows than they want to, and over concentrated in one market just to squash 500 -600 secondary market tickets?  No well run business (I know this will pain the 1995 masses but the band is a business) will deviate from their strategy to humour a small group that they aren’t able to accommodate.  A group, if we’re being honest with ourselves, will likely  never be happy no matter how many concessions are made to placate them.

What difference does 625 tickets make? The tickets are still there for sale at the most outrageous prices in concert history. Right next to the name they worked so hard for.

One thing accomplished is they are pricing out middle income rabid fans and making the show appeal to the wealthy casual fan with such exorbitant prices

The policies are actually making life easier for the scalpers. Sell one pair instead of 10 to make a profit. And it increases the benefit of buying a 10c burner membership since they only need to sell the one pair per membership 

Edit, and it's not a small group. Its the biggest market by a huge multiple. Bigger than the 7 smallest Euro cities on this tour combined 

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mpedone said:
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:
    mace1229 said:
    I havent been able to find exactly what the scalping laws are in NY. But why does the F2F exchange not meet the transferability requirements? They are transferable via F2F right? Does the law specifically state they also have the right to charge whatever, or just that they need to be transferable? 

I don't know that the NY tickets aren't allowed on F2F (I've only seen that from one poster who got it from a TM CSR, and they've been wrong numerous times about this process already), but I agree with others on here who argue there's no point to having them on the F2F.
    This is from the ticket delivery email. Makes it pretty clear: 

Okay, if you're just going to prove me wrong all the time... :wink:

I totally missed the second asterisk. My second point still stands though - there's no reason to have those tickets on the F2F site.
    Agreed 
    mpedone said:
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:
    mace1229 said:
    I havent been able to find exactly what the scalping laws are in NY. But why does the F2F exchange not meet the transferability requirements? They are transferable via F2F right? Does the law specifically state they also have the right to charge whatever, or just that they need to be transferable? 

I don't know that the NY tickets aren't allowed on F2F (I've only seen that from one poster who got it from a TM CSR, and they've been wrong numerous times about this process already), but I agree with others on here who argue there's no point to having them on the F2F.
    This is from the ticket delivery email. Makes it pretty clear: 

Okay, if you're just going to prove me wrong all the time... :wink:

I totally missed the second asterisk. My second point still stands though - there's no reason to have those tickets on the F2F site.

That asterisk is actually encouraging fans to resell at a 30% premium on StubHub to recover cost.
  • That asterisk is actually encouraging fans to resell at a 30% premium on StubHub to recover cost.
    You're absolutely right but you really should be pointing this argument at your state government.

It's clear Pearl Jam/10C wants the most fans to see the concert at face value. This new system is accomplishing that more than ever before.
    That asterisk is actually encouraging fans to resell at a 30% premium on StubHub to recover cost.
    You're absolutely right but you really should be pointing this argument at your state government.

It's clear Pearl Jam/10C wants the most fans to see the concert at face value. This new system is accomplishing that more than ever before.

Why not at least provide the exchange as an option? Yes many will go for the profits on StubHub but at least have the option to transfer at face?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429

Why not at least provide the exchange as an option? Yes many will go for the profits on StubHub but at least have the option to transfer at face?
    Do that here or other social media outlets. If you had MSG tickets you had to unload you would sell them in 5 seconds on this site. There are options for you that are very easy. 
  • Lerxst1992 said:
    It's very possibly not legal to do so.
  • Based on seat location, it looks like about 40 pairs from the fan club are on stub hub for Denver. While that’s sucks for people who got shut out, I was expecting a lot more. 

What I wonder is how many are actually scalper burner accounts vs people who have multiple memberships in their household and hit on both (or more) in the lottery.
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
    PJNB said:

Do that here or other social media outlets. If you had MSG tickets you had to unload you would sell them in 5 seconds on this site. There are options for you that are very easy. 

GTF seems to have alot of hope, despair and unfilled dreams, because of all the ISO trades.

There is something to be said for the convenience of listing on the exchange and have the funds automatically charged back to your account.

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    edited February 2020

Can't you just sell to whoever you want, however you want, for whatever price you and the buyer negotiate? Isn't there a whole board on this forum dedicated to live shows where fans buy and sell tickets?

I would much rather post here that I have spare tickets and be reasonably sure that a fan who really wants to go is buying them rather than putting up tickets that any scalper can snag them at face and then flip at a massive markup.
    Post edited by mpedone on
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • ClapperClapper Posts: 208

Clapper said:
    MD190661 said:
    You know what would help thwart the scalping of the MSG show? Announce the Fall tour soon with many shows in the NY area. Sure, there will still be demand for the Spring show, but prices will drop and scalpers will lose some money if other shows are on sale with more supply.
    What exactly does this fix? Again, less than 3% of the tickets hit the secondary market.  Why would the band play more shows than they want to, and over concentrated in one market just to squash 500 -600 secondary market tickets?  No well run business (I know this will pain the 1995 masses but the band is a business) will deviate from their strategy to humour a small group that they aren’t able to accommodate.  A group, if we’re being honest with ourselves, will likely  never be happy no matter how many concessions are made to placate them.

What difference does 625 tickets make? The tickets are still there for sale at the most outrageous prices in concert history. Right next to the name they worked so hard for.

One thing accomplished is they are pricing out middle income rabid fans and making the show appeal to the wealthy casual fan with such exorbitant prices

The policies are actually making life easier for the scalpers. Sell one pair instead of 10 to make a profit. And it increases the benefit of buying a 10c burner membership since they only need to sell the one pair per membership 

Edit, and it's not a small group. Its the biggest market by a huge multiple. Bigger than the 7 smallest Euro cities on this tour combined 

I wasn't trying to suggest that the NYC and surrounding area is a small group of people, I am suggesting that the 500-600 tickets represent a small group of fans that wanted face value tickets and didn't end up with them because of the secondary market.  Obviously in the bigger picture, there will always be way more people in most areas that want tickets than there are tickets available for shows.

So there are 625 tickets out there at a crazy high dollar number?  Whats the argument against another 19+K tickets that were sold directly to fans (and the "middle income rabid fans")  at far below the going rate of similar acts.  There is no way you can convince me this system has truly benefited the scalpers.   I'm not sure what else people want from this band.  They've provided shows that are roughly 40% fan club seating, relatively low ticket prices that leave so much money on the table for them and greatly reduced ticket availability to the secondary market.  

I appreciate that a system that doesn't make 100% of the people, 100% happy ,100% of the time is considered imperfect but that  is not a real thing and to suggest otherwise is unreasonable.  

I also appreciate that we all love this band but, they are artists, they don't work for us. Any suggestion that they double or triple their touring output to (hyperbolic-ally speaking , a fall tour leg of 10 NYC shows 10 Philly shows after the 10 Boston shows!  or the official please play the winter leg in AU/NZ/Africa!)  appease what I would also guess is a relatively small group of vocal fans is bananas.  I would also argue that if that band played 100 shows a year, it would stop being special for almost all of  the fans.  I'm from Toronto, I wish they'd play every show there, all the time,  and that  the tickets were always available and always affordable.  I'd also like Count Chocula to partner with the mini-eggs folks to make me an all sugar cereal. Unfortunately, neither of those things will happen because they just aren't at all realistic.  I think post tangent, that's my point - our expectations as a fan base, just aren't realistic. I think they have solved as many of the concerns as possible and certainly more than they were obliged to. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • mpedone said:
    I would much rather post here that I have spare tickets and be reasonably sure that a fan who really wants to go is buying them rather than putting up tickets that any scalper can snag and then flip at a massive markup.
    Exactly. The F2F might be more convenient but would just worsen the inflation problem that Lerxst1992 is talking about.

As an aside, nothing makes me feel more like a nerd in my Mom's basement than when I have to type out people's usernames, IG or Twitter handles.

(I am not currently in a basement, Mom's or otherwise)
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    PJNB said:

GTF seems to have alot of hope, despair and unfilled dreams, because of all the ISO trades.

There is something to be said for the convenience of listing on the exchange and have the funds automatically charged back to your account.

Not sure what all of the ISO's have to do with anything but if it was me and I had MSG tickets for sale I would put it up there and give it a great home with someone I know is going to use it and not flip it. The hassle free of F2F means nothing to me. 
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

Not sure what all of the ISO's have to do with anything but if it was me and I had MSG tickets for sale I would put it up there and give it a great home with someone I know is going to use it and not flip it. The hassle free of F2F means nothing to me. 
    Also we don't even know how the exchange will work, so we have no idea how the "hassle" level compares to PMing the top "ISO MSG" post, exchanging Venmo/email addresses, and executing the transfers. It can't possibly be that much different.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    PJNB said:

Yes, there are a lot of ISOs meaning you could sell at face in 5 seconds. "Venmo or PP me now and I'll transfer to you immediately after." This is only difficult if you try to make it difficult.
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

Yes, there are a lot of ISOs meaning you could sell at face in 5 seconds. "Venmo or PP me now and I'll transfer to you immediately after." This is only difficult if you try to make it difficult.
    Or if you're upset that you are on the outside of the show looking in, and are hell bent on making it someone's fault instead of accepting that it's just a simple supply/demand problem.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Aside for the rando on Reddit, do we have any reason to believe MSG won't be eligible for the exchange?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyV said:
    Aside for the rando on Reddit, do we have any reason to believe MSG won't be eligible for the exchange?
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/7118732/#Comment_7118732

It's not 100% clear but it does seem to be leaning that way.
    JimmyV said:
    Yes - the reason to believe that is that there's no reason for the exchange to exist, since the tickets will be freely transferable.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    Lerxst1992 said:
    I don't see how it wouldn't be legal to give it as as option. Maybe to require F2F might be illegal, but just providing it as an option in a state where tickets must be transferable I can't imagine that. My guess is probably they assume next to no one will use it for those 2 states so it isn't worth setting up the system for those 2 shows. 
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

Venmo offers no buyer or seller protection.
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

Venmo offers no buyer or seller protection.
    My dude, if you spent a fraction of your time trying to find solutions vs. grousing about problems you might find yourself out from behind life's poles and overhangs
  • CridderCridder Posts: 165
    when do those platinum tickets go on sale?
  • While I agree that tickets should be sold on here rather than on the f2f exchange given that we pay an annual fee, I also understand why 10c is doing the f2f option. On another note, even if you were to sell on here, you have no guarantee that it isn’t going to a scalper unless you directly know the person who is buying the tickets from you
    mace1229 said:
    Lerxst1992 said:
    I don't see how it wouldn't be legal to give it as as option. Maybe to require F2F might be illegal, but just providing it as an option in a state where tickets must be transferable I can't imagine that. My guess is probably they assume next to no one will use it for those 2 states so it isn't worth setting up the system for those 2 shows. 
    The exchanges for other shows are being set up for a very specific reason - the band wanted to sell non-transferable tickets, but they also wanted to provide an outlet for people who get tickets and then can't use them for whatever reason. It is unnecessary to do so in NY and CO, since anyone who finds themselves in that situation can get rid of the tickets in a number of ways. 
    tdawe said:
    mace1229 said:
    Lerxst1992 said:
    The exchanges for other shows are being set up for a very specific reason - the band wanted to sell non-transferable tickets, but they also wanted to provide an outlet for people who get tickets and then can't use them for whatever reason. It is unnecessary to do so in NY and CO, since anyone who finds themselves in that situation can get rid of the tickets in a number of ways. 
    Most of which are either less convenient and/or accompanied by fees. 

JimmyV said:
    tdawe said:
    mace1229 said:
    Lerxst1992 said:
    You must have more experience with the Fan To Fan Exchange than I do. I haven't seen it yet so don't know how convenient it is. 
    tdawe said:
    JimmyV said:
    tdawe said:
    mace1229 said:
    Lerxst1992 said:
    You must have more experience with the Fan To Fan Exchange than I do. I haven't seen it yet so don't know how convenient it is. 
    It's going to be no more involved than pressing a few buttons. But we'll see. 

If I had MSG or Denver tickets to sell I'd rather do it here because I could make a decision on who I'm selling to. On a F2F exchange, there is a much higher likelihood that the buyer is going to flip them on the secondary.