The coronavirus

Comments

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    i'm personally not a fan of celebrating, or "karma-ing" people getting this virus whom i disagree with politically. i have friends on facebook from alberta cheering that trudeau's wife tested, and now people here celebrating that a republican got it. 

i find this deplorable, no matter your political leanings. 
      I'm with you on that one...  not cool!
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    Why are we (USA) always putting the fires out instead of preventing them?
    9/11 happens- who was ready for that? Not us.  So we amp up the security and spend time and effort trying to prevent it from happening again but none of that is very helpful right now. I know we don’t have crystal balls but damn we should be better than this at what may come in the future. 
    And yes it’s difficult right now but Americans have faced adversity before. 

Remember what’s important.  Do the people you love know that you love them?  Are you satisfied and at peace with how you’ve lived your life? Do you have someone to apologize to or that maybe you should apologize to?  Be positive and thankful for what you do have cause many others have less or nothing. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and use that energy to do good. 
    Just how I feel and what helps every day when I ask myself these questions and reflect on my life. Mental meditation is necessary at these times. Be the bigger person for once and stop your arguments by saying your sorry. There are many positive things to find around you - just look. I’m thankful that I have clean water right now. You may think that’s stupid but a new form of  cholera infected water would make you feel differently. Would we be ready for something like that right now? 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    i'm personally not a fan of celebrating, or "karma-ing" people getting this virus whom i disagree with politically. i have friends on facebook from alberta cheering that trudeau's wife tested, and now people here celebrating that a republican got it. 

+1.  Totally classless.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

I agree with not celebrating these things just because they happen to people on the other side of the political divide. I thought that the "karma" comment was more about how Paul voted specifically on the COVID bill, not his politics in general. But I could be wrong. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111

Exactly. If you hear about someone testing positive and your only thought isn't "that sucks, hope they fight through it," just log off.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    edited March 2020
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    myoung321 said:

I'm with you on that one...  not cool!

Same here!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Loblaws  and Metro, 2 Canadian grocery store chains are raising employees wages 2/hour during the pandemic.  Hopefully the wages stay permanent...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945

+1
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    An interesting brief article on the apparent differences in mortality rates between the different countries.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/analysis-steven-lewis-why-covid-deadly-benign-1.5500288

An epidemiological mystery': Why Is COVID-19 so much deadlier in some countries than others?

What's the COVID-19 death rate? I'll get back to you

Steven Lewis · FOR CBC SK OPINION · Posted: Mar 17, 2020 11:24 AM CT | Last Updated: March 17
    A patient in a biocontainment unit is carried on a stretcher at the Columbus Covid 2 Hospital in Rome, Monday, March 16, 2020. (Alessandra Tarantino/The Associated Press)

Imagine you're a chief public health officer and you're asked the question on everyone's mind: how deadly is the COVID-19 outbreak?

With the number of cases worldwide approaching 200,000, and 1,000 or more cases in 15 countries, you'd think there would be an answer. But the more data we see, the tougher it is to come up with a hard number.

Overall, the death rate is around four per cent — of reported cases. That's also the death rate in China, which to date accounts for just under half the total number of global cases.

China is the only country where a) the outcome of almost all cases is known (85 per cent have recovered), and b) the spread has been stopped (numbers plateaued about a month ago). 

A four per cent death rate is pretty high — about 40 times more deadly than seasonal flu — but no experts believe that is the death rate. The latest estimate is that it is around 1.5 per cent. Other models suggest that it may be somewhat lower. 

The true rate can be known only if every case is known and confirmed by testing — including the asymptomatic or relatively benign cases, which comprise 80 per cent or more of the total — and all cases have run their course (people have either recovered or died). Aside from those in China, almost all cases identified are still active. 

Unless a jurisdiction systematically tests a large random sample of its population, we may never know the true rate of infection or the real death rate. 

Yet for all this unavoidable uncertainty, it is still odd that the rates vary so widely by country.

Extreme differences

The new epicentre of the outbreak is in Europe, so let's focus there.

The graph below shows the crude (not adjusted for age) death rates in the ten countries with the most reported cases (all 1,000 or higher). 

The COVID-19 death rate varies greatly in the 10 countries with the most reported cases. (Data from worldometers.info/Graph by Steven Lewis)

Let's look at the European extremes: Italy and Germany. Italy has the most cases (28,000) but Germany has more than 7,000 and its number is growing rapidly. Yet Italy's death rate so far is 35 times higher than Germany's. 

Moreover, only two of Germany's 7,200 active cases are classified as serious or critical, while in Italy it's 1,850 out of 21,000. In Canada there have been four deaths among 422 cases and only one of the 407 active cases is serious or critical.

What's going on here? No one has a ready answer. 

The health care infrastructure in Italy and Germany is pretty much the same. Germany may be a week or two behind Italy in the pandemic, but in most countries the death rates seem higher at the beginning of the upsurge because the more serious cases are likely to present and be tested first. 

Germany has promoted widespread testing, which is more likely to confirm non-serious cases and prevent them from coming into contact with more vulnerable groups, but so has Italy. And Italy took stronger measures to contain the virus than Germany.

Death rates are much higher in the elderly — as much as 15 per cent in the 80+ age group – and Italy has a relatively old population, but Germany has the oldest median age in Europe. 

Does the German gene pool create some sort of uniquely effective immune response to just this novel coronavirus? Highly unlikely. Is the virus somehow different in Germany? Virtually impossible. Could German health care be that much more effective? Again, no. 

Then what?

At this point the discrepancies seem both massive and unexplained. If they converge in the next few weeks we will be closer to an explanation. It may be that Germany has thus far been lucky, with the exposures having occurred mainly among younger and healthier people. Or maybe Italy has been unlucky, with high rates of exposure in people with pre-existing health conditions that make them vulnerable. 

If the perplexing differences remain after a few more weeks and tens of thousands — or millions — of new cases, we will have a barnburner of an epidemiological mystery on our hands. 

The most revealing data over time will be the death rates in the oldest population groups, because the numbers are higher and the statistics will be more reliable. If these still vary hugely, a lot of analysts will be scratching a lot of heads. 

Where is Canada headed? At this early stage, it looks more like Germany than Italy, but that can change quickly. 

Germany may not look like Germany on April 1. With any luck, Italy may not look quite so dire by then. To channel Donald Rumsfeld, there are unknown unknowns. For now, we are stuck with a paradox on either side of the Alps. 

What's the COVID-19 death rate? I'll get back to you.

On that note,

Canada coronavirus death toll jumps almost 50% to 19 in less than a day

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/business-pmn/canada-coronavirus-death-toll-jumps-almost-50-to-19-in-less-than-a-day/wcm/28e690f6-2121-4753-bd55-191a312e3fbf/
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    I hope his constituents remember this and vote him out this virus does not discriminate if you vote R or D a lot of his supporters will become ill and possibly die ,just to be clear I’m not wishing death on anyone! But if my representative voted against a package to help out in these times I’d vote against him..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    I hope his constituents remember this and vote him out this virus does not discriminate if you vote R or D a lot of his supporters will become ill and possibly die ,just to be clear I’m not wishing death on anyone! But if my representative voted against a package to help out in these times I’d vote against him..

That's why I asked the question.  He voted against an aid package and now he's  got it.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,616
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

That's why I asked the question.  He voted against an aid package and now he's  got it.
    No I know what you meant I’m not sure why folks jump to conclusions that by asking if this is karma it’s automatic that your wishing death on him , I know you and how you post I never took it as that like the saying goes karma is a bitch..

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    Out hunting Pokémon today with my 11 year old.  This is pretty serious business!! We are at park number four lol. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    Smellyman said:
    Blaming China won’t save one single American life , you know what will Protective equipment, ventilators , beds this country only had a little over 1million hospital beds total and that’s not ICU beds it’s all beds combined 
    and also not everyone here only has an American focus on this International board.

We're an American band
    We're comin' to your town
    We'll help you party it down
    We're an American band
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    Smellyman said:
    Blaming China won’t save one single American life , you know what will Protective equipment, ventilators , beds this country only had a little over 1million hospital beds total and that’s not ICU beds it’s all beds combined 
    and also not everyone here only has an American focus on this International board.

We're an American band
    We're an American band

True, but if it were a xenophobic, nationalistic band, I'm guessing many of us would have zero interest in it.  I know that would be true for me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055

Tonight I want to turn directly to you, the Swedish people. The new corona virus is testing our country, our society and us as human beings. Now every person needs to prepare mentally for what is waiting.

We have a general spread of infection in Sweden. Life, health and jobs are threatened. More will get sick more will be forced to say a final farewell. The only way to deal with this is to face the crisis as a society.

The next few months will be stressful, but our society is strong. Our authorities are struggling day and night. Staff in healthcare, schools and many many other people with important occupations are supporting our country. As prime minister and the government I lead, I will make every decision necessary to protect as many people's lives, health and jobs as it can.

In Sweden, public gatherings of more than 500 have been banned, and upper secondary and university education are now conducted remotely. I want you to be prepared for more intervention decisions to come. Sometimes at short notice and sometimes disturbing everyday life even more. The goal of the government's work is to limit the spread of infection so that not many people become seriously ill at the same time, but also to secure resources for the healthcare system and that in this tough time we alleviate the consequences for you as a worker and for our companies.

Be prepared for this to last for a long time. Be ready for the situation to change quickly, but you should also know that we as a society face this crisis with our entire strength.

Now we all have our own responsibility. There will be a few crucial moments in life when you have to make sacrifices not only for your own sake but also to take responsibility for your surroundings, for your people and for our country.

That moment is now. That day is here. This applies to everyone. Each of us has a responsibility to prevent the spread of infection, to protect the elderly and other risk groups. None of us can take a chance. None of us can go to work with symptoms. Young, old, rich or poor doesn't matter. Everyone needs to do their part.

This also applies to you who are 70 plus or belong to a risk group. I understand that it is frustrating to have to limit your life, your social contacts. But it is necessary right now. For your own sake, of course, but also to protect other people and to give the healthcare system the opportunity to cope with the situation.

We who are adults right now need to be adults. Don't spread panic or rumors. No one is alone in this crisis, but each person has a heavy responsibility. Everyone. I know that the demands that are made are severe, but that is only so we can keep the spread of infection down. I know that some limitations are stressful, but that is how we can ensure that the healthcare system is able to handle the crisis. I know that the situation can feel tough but following the authority's advice is every person's duty. Also yours. And mine.

You are many who take your responsibility also as fellow human beings. Which helping your neighbors to shop, who support your local restaurant. Who avoids greeting grandma but instead calls her and talks to her every day. It is solidarity in practice. I am proud to be Sweden's prime minister when I see what so many are doing for their fellow human beings. You show that when it is toughest, our cohesion is strongest.

I am sure that everyone in Sweden will take on their responsibility. Do their utmost to ensure their and others' health. Help each other and therefore be able to look back on this crisis and be proud of your particular role, your efforts. For their fellow human beings and for Sweden. Thanks.

! S O C I A L I S M !
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mace1229 said:
    Excusing China because you don’t like how our leadership handled this won’t help t change anything either. I’ve said for 4 or 5 years that China is a big problem for us. From the way they treat the environment to our debt and reliance on them. That needs to change. China hunting that they can control of US survives or not based on our reliance on them is very scary to me. 
    Unfortunately not much will change from their end as long as we depend on them as heavily as we do. We are their trust fund babies, and if they decide to let us go we’d be screwed. 

You make a lot of excellent points. We don’t need to be their trust fund babies. We need to hold them accountable for the cost of this crisis and implement food safety regulations. The world needs to change on a fundamental level.

In the old world, pre c19, we thought it was good to buy our cheap stuff from China. But it’s no longer cheap.

The cost of this pandemic needs to be added to any product China produces. It’s a dangerous nation, that makes the Republican Party look like regulation lovers.

In reality, all those cheap clothes, electronics and everything else were not cheap, once we add the infinite cost of this crisis to what is produced by China.

Looking back at the old world it was foolish to think having agencies like the FDA to protect us because lax regulations in places like China can make cheap stuff partly because they don’t protect people like we do.
    edited March 2020
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Anyone else pissed off at China?
    Stop watching Fox News
    What Fox News have to do with being pissed at China cover covering this up, lying about it, threatening their own doctors for trying talk about how dangerous this is? That’s all facts, we could have been a month or 2 ahead of this if they didn’t  cover this up and ban outsider scientists from researching the virus.
    What does any of that have to do with Fox News?
    You are buying into the FOX news Trump narrative. The Trump administration knew what was coming, they were warned and ignored those warnings. So stop spreading bullshit that the world could have been better prepared had China been more transparent.

Look at the beginning of this thread for proof of how long we have know this was a threat. It's really unbelievable how gullible people are.

Stop being so gullible.
    So we’re only allowed to be upset at one person? We can’t be upset with how China covered this up and not be happy with how the IS handled this?
    Whybisnit gullible to not be happy with multiple parties? Why is it smarter to just only pick one and give everyone else a free pass? That to me seems more gullible, picking only one party and giving everyone else a free pass. China could have shared more information. China could have allowed health researchers. China could have started to contain it sooner. Why are we not allowed to be upset with how they handled it too?
    Sure, be angry with China all you want. It isn't going to help anyone, or change one thing in this current crisis, but if that's how you want to spend your energy that's your prerogative.

I will continue to act on things within my control. Holding my leaders accountable being one of those things. If they fuck up I won't go looking somewhere else to blame just because they are on my team.
    One of the things people will likely be holding their leaders accountable for is how they, as part of the global community, intend to hold China accountable for initiating this. The Trump administration, for their part, has done a miserable job in almost every aspect of preparing for and handling this here. I'm not sure there's anybody who's posted in the last 20 pages or so that would dispute that. But I think there's plenty of room for anger, frustration, etc. directed at both.
    I don't disagree, but there are Trump supporters here and elsewhere. The same people who thought it was a democratic hoax, then moved on to "it's just the flu" and now have moved on to it's all China's fault I have to stay home.

You picking up what I'm throwing down here?
    So find them and go argue with them. Dragging a strawman into the thread doesn't advance the discussion. 

Unless it’s this one.

https://youtu.be/oArr5IHThik
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,616
    words on facebook from a former member....

Some random Sunday night bollocks...

We have always been isolated. And insignificant. And vulnerable.

We’re on a planet, circling a tiny star, on the arm of a galaxy in the arse end of nowhere, among a billion billion others in the cosmos. It’s sometimes hard to grasp the magnitude of our isolation and the starkness of our own insignificance in this huge universe.

As a reaction, we try to feel unique, to prove how much we matter. We document our lives and try to give them meaning and make us feel more than just a speck of dust among 8 billion others. Doing this somehow makes us feel like we have influence.

I’ve learnt a little about death in the last year and the main takeaway is that our scope of influence is limited to a very few people. We’re insignificant to most of the world and yet, to a few chosen people, we are at the centre of their universe.

And we’ve always been vulnerable and yet remarkably resilient. We crawled out of the primordial ooze millions of years ago and somehow avoided every catastrophe to evolve to where we are today. The odds against us getting this far are greater than the number of all the tiny stars in the galaxy added together.

Then, just when we begin to feel like we’ve made it over the hump… something invisible and microscopic (yet still somehow greater than us) makes us feel vulnerable and powerless once again.

But it is worth remembering the passage of time. The time of humans on the scale of the planet’s history is only the blink of an eye. And the weeks, months, or even years we suffer now are a blink of an eye again. This too shall pass. Just the blink of an eye within the blink of an eye.

So… we have always been isolated. We have always been insignificant. We have always been vulnerable.

What’s more, we’ve always known these things. Every one of us acknowledges it in his or her core.

But knowing these things does not make us fall into despair because…

The isolation is what makes us seek out others and build communities. Our insignificance makes the few people to whom we do matter so much more meaningful. And our vulnerability is only matched by our incredible resilience.

Sometimes, the world reminds us that we are nothing more than specks of cosmic dust. And isn’t that fucking beautiful? Isn’t that just the best way to be let off the hook? It reminds us that we are not in control, and all we can do is ride it out and hope for the best. That’s pretty much what we’ve been doing for a billion years anyway.

So, yeah. That’s all.

In summary:
    - Let’s all get over ourselves
    - Stop panic buying all the pork chops, pasta and toilet paper
    - This too shall pass
    - Stay positive and embrace the fact that nobody is asking any of us to take control. They are only asking us to stay home.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

We're an American band
    We're an American band

True, but if it were a xenophobic, nationalistic band, I'm guessing many of us would have zero interest in it.  I know that would be true for me.

GFR is a xenophobic band? I’m confused. Just trying to enjoy the tune and recognize one of the few American bands I love.
    For anyone shedding a tear for poor Rand Paul.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    dignin said:

So his office claims he was asymptomatic yet he was tested?  Now you might say,  well all senators were tested but if that were true,  would the democratic senator be blowing him up?  He's full of crap,  is my guess,  and his office is trying to protect his behavior. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488921-sinema-criticizes-paul-for-alleged-behavior-ahead-of-coronavirus-test-results#
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited March 2020
    A friends said 26.000 people in the restaurant business so far have been laid off in Sweden.

Welcome to an economic disaster. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

So his office claims he was asymptomatic yet he was tested?  Now you might say,  well all senators were tested but if that were true,  would the democratic senator be blowing him up?  He's full of crap,  is my guess,  and his office is trying to protect his behavior. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488921-sinema-criticizes-paul-for-alleged-behavior-ahead-of-coronavirus-test-results#
    Yeah. He makes it sound like he had no reason to be tested, but he still was, for some unexplained reason.

Regardless, you would think someone in a leadership position would try and set an example and not go to a gym or other more public places. Millions of other Americans are staying home.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Yeah. He makes it sound like he had no reason to be tested, but he still was, for some unexplained reason.

Regardless, you would think someone in a leadership position would try and set an example and not go to a gym or other more public places. Millions of other Americans are staying home.

Most politicians are hypocrites.  Do as I say, not as I do. 
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    dignin said:

Damn idiots!
    Angela Merkel was in contact with a doctor who now got a positive test - guess - she immediately went to quarantine at home!
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

I have a coworker who got tested on Friday he was told stay home for 7 days till results are back , RP is a giant asshole..
This discussion has been closed.