The coronavirus

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    Very good article.  Interview of epidemiologist, Larry Brilliant, who was involved in defeating Smallpox.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    Anyone else pissed off at China?
    Yes. The WHO, too. I think there's plenty of capacity to deal with the problem best you can and also be aggravated about the situation. Don't let people gaslight you into thinking that's only being discussed in right wing circles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/china-trolling-world-and-avoiding-blame/608332/
    Currently, in the middle of this crisis, what exactly is getting pissed off with China going to do exactly? Zero.

I would focus my attention on things I have control over. Holding my own elected officials feet to the fire is one of those things.

And I think it's important to remind everyone that Trump is trying to use China as a scapegoat for how badly he has bungled this. He needs a villain to point at to lay blame for his obvious shortcomings. It's a "hey look over there" tactic. 

Being quarantined at home for weeks, maybe months, what’s wrong about being pissed off at China? Am I supposed to go outside and sing “Shinning Happy People” by myself (not holding hands) and pretend there isn’t a pandemic that China could have helped slow down?
    So long as you know that US has neither the leverage nor the will to do anything about it, you are welcome to spend your energy there. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    And UT is where the smart kids with money go!  
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Isn't this what you suggested they do?  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    Yes. The WHO, too. I think there's plenty of capacity to deal with the problem best you can and also be aggravated about the situation. Don't let people gaslight you into thinking that's only being discussed in right wing circles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/china-trolling-world-and-avoiding-blame/608332/
    Currently, in the middle of this crisis, what exactly is getting pissed off with China going to do exactly? Zero.

I would focus my attention on things I have control over. Holding my own elected officials feet to the fire is one of those things.

And I think it's important to remind everyone that Trump is trying to use China as a scapegoat for how badly he has bungled this. He needs a villain to point at to lay blame for his obvious shortcomings. It's a "hey look over there" tactic. 

Being quarantined at home for weeks, maybe months, what’s wrong about being pissed off at China? Am I supposed to go outside and sing “Shinning Happy People” by myself (not holding hands) and pretend there isn’t a pandemic that China could have helped slow down?
    Who says you can’t be outside? Do you have a backyard or park or beach where you can walk that’s what me & my wife have been doing, yelling at the sky that China is evil over & over again will gain you zero nada zilch..
    We have all that. Spent an hour at the park yesterday, and our boys play in the backyard too. No one said don’t go outside, and certainly not me. So not sure why this was brought up? What does being outside have to do with not be upset with China?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    rgambs said:
    Were they on an island?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Stop watching Fox News
    What Fox News have to do with being pissed at China cover covering this up, lying about it, threatening their own doctors for trying talk about how dangerous this is? That’s all facts, we could have been a month or 2 ahead of this if they didn’t  cover this up and ban outsider scientists from researching the virus.
    What does any of that have to do with Fox News?
    You are buying into the FOX news Trump narrative. The Trump administration knew what was coming, they were warned and ignored those warnings. So stop spreading bullshit that the world could have been better prepared had China been more transparent.

Look at the beginning of this thread for proof of how long we have know this was a threat. It's really unbelievable how gullible people are.

Stop being so gullible.
    So we’re only allowed to be upset at one person? We can’t be upset with how China covered this up and not be happy with how the IS handled this?
    Whybisnit gullible to not be happy with multiple parties? Why is it smarter to just only pick one and give everyone else a free pass? That to me seems more gullible, picking only one party and giving everyone else a free pass. China could have shared more information. China could have allowed health researchers. China could have started to contain it sooner. Why are we not allowed to be upset with how they handled it too?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    We all know that China and Russia are blocking progress in the world.  It has been so clear for so long.  The US jacks things up sometimes but largely because China/Russia actively block progress and enable other horrible regimes.  Wash...rinse...repeat.
    rgambs said:
    Ofc.

LOOK 

THIS IS MY THREAD

AND I AM SAYING: YES IT IS OKEY TO BE ANGRY AT CHINA FOR HOW THEY HAVE HANDLED IT

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,043
    edited March 2020
    My friend Nik died on Friday. He was only 56. He contracted coronavirus from a work colleague who had returned from Italy. he had no underlying symptoms. We are in a state of total shock. Stay safe out there.
    Very sorry for your loss.

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt the Blame Meat Eaters commercial.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited March 2020
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-china-51364382

Police told one of the first doctors in China to not talk about it. And I’m the dumb one for being upset about that?  And that makes me a trump lover? I really don’t get the logic here sometimes.
    mace1229 said:

Police told one of the first doctors in China to not talk about it. And I’m the dumb one for being upset about that? 
    That's how totalitarianism works. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

Police told one of the first doctors in China to not talk about it. And I’m the dumb one for being upset about that? 
    Sounds like something Trump would have enforced...

mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

Sounds like something Trump would have enforced...

It's definitely his instinct. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,126
    This administration has ample time to put into effect contingency plans since December they fucking failed the population period , go ahead blame China all you want it’s neither here or there at this point it’s too late..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Blaming China won’t save one single American life , you know what will Protective equipment, ventilators , beds this country only had a little over 1million hospital beds total and that’s not ICU beds it’s all beds combined 
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    edited March 2020
    Please note, this is not directed to anyone in particular.

The world is dealing with a challenge that hasn't existed before in our lifetime. There isn't one 'correct' way to cope, everyone handles adversity in his or her own way. Please remember many people are at home by themselves, maybe they haven't physically seen another person in a few weeks, maybe they live in an apartment building that has little to no access to the outdoors, maybe their entire lifestyle has been temporarily halted, maybe their loved one or friend passed away. 

Try to have a little compassion and understanding for each other. 
    Thank you.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    My friend Nik died on Friday. He was only 56. He contracted coronavirus from a work colleague who had returned from Italy. he had no underlying symptoms. We are in a state of total shock. Stay safe out there.
    Very sorry for your loss.

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt the Blame Meat Eaters commercial.
    Yeah, no shit. 

Condolences from California on the loss of your friend.
    This administration has ample time to put into effect contingency plans since December they fucking failed the population period , go ahead blame China all you want it’s neither here or there at this point it’s too late..
    China was still silencing doctors as late as January. They were threatening them with jail time for spreading false rumors in January. When China finally admitted the outbreak in mid January they were not allowing outside health officials to investigate and telling everyone it could not be transmitted human to human. 
    I’m not saying this administration did everything right, but they didn’t have since December.  Mid Januarary at the earliest.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Blaming China won’t save one single American life , you know what will Protective equipment, ventilators , beds this country only had a little over 1million hospital beds total and that’s not ICU beds it’s all beds combined 
    and also not everyone here only has an American focus on this International board.

But blaming trump will save lives? I just don’t get the anger towards trump but this free pass to China. It’s okay to be upset and blame both!
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,012
    Trump dragged his feet & downplayed this for 60 days to protect his own self interests, chief among them, his re-election. 

Blame China all you want, and call this virus whatever you want, but his self preservation in the end will almost certainly cost American lives that could have been spared had he listened to the US intelligence community instead of Fox News & taken the warnings more seriously. 

If you’re an American, and you’re not pissed at our rudderless government right now, you’re not paying enough attention. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    mace1229 said:
    But blaming trump will save lives? I just don’t get the anger towards trump but this free pass to China. It’s okay to be upset and blame both!
    Agreed. And the idiots buying four thousand rolls of toilet paper. And the morons who still aren’t practicing social distancing.  Lots of blame and anger to go around.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    Because China now =/= moot

Trump now - VERY ESSENTIAL TO PEOPLE SURVIVING OR DYING 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    mace1229 said:
    Because China now =/= moot

Trump now - VERY ESSENTIAL TO PEOPLE SURVIVING OR DYING 
    Same as it’s essential for Trump to contribute to the recovery of the US, China owes it to the rest of the world for their fuckup. 
    mace1229 said:
    No I’m blaming the Baffoon for the state we are in again his administration knew about this since December January! This administration failed miserably and here we are, if the hospital me & son work at daily runs out of protective equipment should I go around barking that China is to blame for this country not being prepared with enough inventory? You wanna do something about it let’s do it let’s all throw our Chinese made products in the garbage boycot anything made there let’s see what we would have left in our homes..
This discussion has been closed.