The coronavirus

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    I am pissed at China and I hope in the future they have better health codes/some sort of enforcement/rules for these wet markets.  I am pissed at the US government because they definitely dropped the ball. I'm even more pissed at the morons who are still not taking this seriously.  I'm pissed at the idiots who buy 258 rolls of toilet paper.  And finally I'm pissed off that I am not in quebec city right now.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    A supermarket here in Sweden put up a sign "One package of toiletpaper - regular price. The second package 100 SEK (Like 11-12 dollars that is)" to stop the people buying it all up.

Pretty smart.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    I am pissed at China and I hope in the future they have better health codes/some sort of enforcement/rules for these wet markets. 
    Focusing on just China and their wet markets, and not see the bigger picture of the overall meat consumption culture (and our civilizations reckless relationship to animals) is so unnecessary shortsighted. But I guess it stems from people not wanting to change themselves, and it is easier to just attack those, over there on the other side of the world.

https://youtu.be/G20cooZOiYE

The key cause for emerging "plagues" - number one (1, as in the first) on that list:

Also: 

https://www.dagensarena.se/opinion/din-middag-ar-varre-an-corona/
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    As in, STOP EATING MEAT = STOP EMERGING VIRUS PANDEMICS

lowest common denominator
    mcgruff10 said:
    I am pissed at China and I hope in the future they have better health codes/some sort of enforcement/rules for these wet markets. 
    Focusing on just China and their wet markets, and not see the bigger picture of the overall meat consumption culture (and our civilizations reckless relationship to animals) is so unnecessary shortsighted. But I guess it stems from people not wanting to change themselves, and it is easier to just attack those, over there on the other side of the world.

The key cause for emerging "plagues" - number one (1, as in the first) on that list:

Also: 

Who is attacking? It is short sighted to want change in those wet markets? You really are a moron. Please stop responding to my posts.  
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    edited March 2020
    That’s not really what that says.

How can someone say “don’t blame China” and “blame Trump” in the same sentence?
    mcgruff10 said:

You really are a moron.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    DewieCox said:

Blame Trump for not taking his briefings seriously in Jan and Feb about the risks, and downplaying it to the American people.  It's not Trump's fault that the virus is here, but he shoulders blame for the slow response, lack of preparedness, and overall lack of leadership.  We don't have control as to whether the wet markets in China are closed down.  We do have control regarding who will be president come 2021.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:

Blame Trump for not taking his briefings seriously in Jan and Feb about the risks, and downplaying it to the American people.  It's not Trump's fault that the virus is here, but he shoulders blame for the slow response, lack of preparedness, and overall lack of leadership.  We don't have control as to whether the wet markets in China are closed down.  We do have control regarding who will be president come 2021.

He is not prioritizing the federal govt resources in emergency assistance for medical supplies and ventilators, and seemed indifferent about price gouging. Yesterday. 

Why are we not talking about the 25th amendment?

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Also: 

Who is attacking? It is short sighted to want change in those wet markets? You really are a moron. Please stop responding to my posts.  
    Ignoring the source is really dumb. Using a pandemic to spread your cause, really ignorant.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    DewieCox said:

And plenty of time once this is done.

But certainly China is to blame for lighting the match. And trump admin is to blame for watching it burn.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Also: 

Ignoring the source is really dumb. Using a pandemic to spread your cause, really ignorant.
    Thank god someone else sees this. I just can’t argue with stupid anymore. 
    Lers, why would the 25th amendment be used in this case?
    mcgruff10 said:
    I am pissed at China and I hope in the future they have better health codes/some sort of enforcement/rules for these wet markets.  I am pissed at the US government because they definitely dropped the ball. I'm even more pissed at the morons who are still not taking this seriously.  I'm pissed at the idiots who buy 258 rolls of toilet paper.  And finally I'm pissed off that I am not in quebec city right now.  

During elections and at other times, republicans make fun of regulations. They and their voters tout making stuff “cheap in China.” This is not the first disease that China has gifted the world. How cheap is all that Chinese product now?

this election needs to put that entire thought process on trial. Regulations are not funny. Poor regulations can kill millions. 

Buying stuff cheap from China? Sometimes we get what we pay for.
    mcgruff10 said:

Also: 

Cmon sc... that’s really not necessary-

“sometimes raw fruits and vegetables contain harmful germs that can make you and your family sick, such as Salmonella E. coli, and Listeria, CDC estimates that germs on fresh produce cause a large percentage of U.S. foodborne illnesses.”
    edited March 2020
    cincybearcat said:

Using a pandemic to spread your cause, really ignorant.
    Pounding the table you are. As Yoda would have put it.
    "It's an extraordinary situation," says Helena Olsson, program commissioner for News and Society at SVT to Expressen.

- Power holders are usually in situations where it is possible to question, check facts and comment on what is being said. This is an exception to the formats we usually work with in journalism with politicians and other authorities, says Helena Olsson.

The last SVT sent speech to the nation was in 2003 when Foreign Minister Anna Lindh had been assassinated. Then Göran Persson spoke from his service room in Rosenbad.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,616
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    speechless.....

dont be put off by the headline, its really about pharmacists looking to be ethical where as some doctors dont seem to be....

Thanks for sharing. My mom has Lupus and is on that drug.

Trump is such a snake oil salesman, doing more damage than good.
    update...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

Also: 

Cmon sc... that’s really not necessary-

“sometimes raw fruits and vegetables contain harmful germs that can make you and your family sick, such as Salmonella E. coli, and Listeria, CDC estimates that germs on fresh produce cause a large percentage of U.S. foodborne illnesses.”
    Truth is truth. 

And it is not about me not putting blame on China, just read the last page on that topic. 

Seeing the bigger picture is still valid. 

But maybe only morons are able to do so.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    edited March 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:

Absolutely, I’m not saying blame shouldn’t be assigned, I’m saying it’s as divisive and distractionary regardless of who is blamed. There’s a better time for it and it’s not changing minds.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    edited March 2020
    I would like someone to point to an idea of an end of this lockdown...

Okey, so we won't have a vaccine for 12-18 months... so what is (or could hopefully be) the next step on this journey. 

Now it seems very much like a limbo to me. But maybe I have not picked up on what experts have said on the topic. And I guess everyone is living in the "now" trying to have enough hospitals bed available. 

EDIT:
    Too early to predict the peak
    Sahlgrenska University Hospital went out yesterday with a forecast where it was predicted that the peak, where most people need hospital care due to corona, will be reached around 1 April. Something Tegnell is rejecting

- It is quite a lot of guesswork that you put into such a forecast. It's a bit early and I think you should be careful. It depends on how well we succeed with our actions. If we succeed well, the peak will be reached later but will be much lower which would be very good.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • My friend Nik died on Friday. He was only 56. He contracted coronavirus from a work colleague who had returned from Italy. he had no underlying symptoms. We are in a state of total shock. Stay safe out there.
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London O2 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London O2 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, Hyde Park 8/7/22, Hyde Park 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    CM189191 said:
    Anyone else pissed off at China?
    Stop watching Fox News
    What Fox News have to do with being pissed at China cover covering this up, lying about it, threatening their own doctors for trying talk about how dangerous this is? That’s all facts, we could have been a month or 2 ahead of this if they didn’t  cover this up and ban outsider scientists from researching the virus.
    What does any of that have to do with Fox News?
    edited March 2020
    My friend Nik died on Friday. He was only 56. He contracted coronavirus from a work colleague who had returned from Italy. he had no underlying symptoms. We are in a state of total shock. Stay safe out there.
    I m so sorry for your loss.  Absolutely terrible. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    Yes. The WHO, too. I think there's plenty of capacity to deal with the problem best you can and also be aggravated about the situation. Don't let people gaslight you into thinking that's only being discussed in right wing circles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/china-trolling-world-and-avoiding-blame/608332/
    Currently, in the middle of this crisis, what exactly is getting pissed off with China going to do exactly? Zero.

I would focus my attention on things I have control over. Holding my own elected officials feet to the fire is one of those things.

And I think it's important to remind everyone that Trump is trying to use China as a scapegoat for how badly he has bungled this. He needs a villain to point at to lay blame for his obvious shortcomings. It's a "hey look over there" tactic. 

Being quarantined at home for weeks, maybe months, what’s wrong about being pissed off at China? Am I supposed to go outside and sing “Shinning Happy People” by myself (not holding hands) and pretend there isn’t a pandemic that China could have helped slow down?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    My friend Nik died on Friday. He was only 56. He contracted coronavirus from a work colleague who had returned from Italy. he had no underlying symptoms. We are in a state of total shock. Stay safe out there.
    My condolences. Stay safe.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    @Muffin The Mule 
    So very sorry for your loss. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,126
    As in, STOP EATING MEAT = STOP EMERGING VIRUS PANDEMICS

lowest common denominator
    I agree my meat consumption has def slowed down and not because of virus just our own decision in my family!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,126
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    Yes. The WHO, too. I think there's plenty of capacity to deal with the problem best you can and also be aggravated about the situation. Don't let people gaslight you into thinking that's only being discussed in right wing circles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/china-trolling-world-and-avoiding-blame/608332/
    Currently, in the middle of this crisis, what exactly is getting pissed off with China going to do exactly? Zero.

I would focus my attention on things I have control over. Holding my own elected officials feet to the fire is one of those things.

And I think it's important to remind everyone that Trump is trying to use China as a scapegoat for how badly he has bungled this. He needs a villain to point at to lay blame for his obvious shortcomings. It's a "hey look over there" tactic. 

Being quarantined at home for weeks, maybe months, what’s wrong about being pissed off at China? Am I supposed to go outside and sing “Shinning Happy People” by myself (not holding hands) and pretend there isn’t a pandemic that China could have helped slow down?
    Who says you can’t be outside? Do you have a backyard or park or beach where you can walk that’s what me & my wife have been doing, yelling at the sky that China is evil over & over again will gain you zero nada zilch..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Stop watching Fox News
    What Fox News have to do with being pissed at China cover covering this up, lying about it, threatening their own doctors for trying talk about how dangerous this is? That’s all facts, we could have been a month or 2 ahead of this if they didn’t  cover this up and ban outsider scientists from researching the virus.
    What does any of that have to do with Fox News?
    You are buying into the FOX news Trump narrative. The Trump administration knew what was coming, they were warned and ignored those warnings. So stop spreading bullshit that the world could have been better prepared had China been more transparent.

Look at the beginning of this thread for proof of how long we have know this was a threat. It's really unbelievable how gullible people are.

Stop being so gullible.
This discussion has been closed.