The coronavirus

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    edited March 2020
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    Al the ski resorts in Colorado already announced being closed for the season, despite having enough snow to be open until June again, in some cases even early July possibly. My guess is they are assuming no one is traveling, they won’t be selling daily tickets, only season pass holders will be coming and without selling food and drink there’s no money in it at this point. Otherwise no need to already announce closing for April, May and June.
    The ski towns are hotspots and there is very little medical services available.
    They are. But after spring break it’s mostly locals, and by that I mean those in Denver or the suburbs, an hour drive or so. Most do even stop in the ski towns, just park and get on the slopes.
     it was the right decision to shut them down for now. I’m just frustrated they already made the decision to close for the year when they almost definitely have enough snow for May and probably June and maybe a week or two in July.
    Id be okay if they announced closed through April and will reasses to determine the rest of the season, and if in1 month they saw fit to close for May. I understand that. Just seems early to cancel for the season, when in reality I don’t see it being any worse than what I see at the parks. 
    It’s not just being selfish. I admit, I bought a season pass for the first time ever and hardly used it because I enjoy spring skiing more and just don’t see the need to cancel 3-4 months out already. But if this is what is needed the decision wouldn’t bother me at all. It just seems premature. This could also employ lots of people and help with some of the economy issues too. People rely on this seasonal income who work there. Canceling this early to me seems like not a decision based on health, but financial for the resort and that’s what bothers me.  I am guessing they looked at the cost if reopening for 2 months, realized most of those people are locals with passes and there’s non new money to be made, and said it’s not worth it.
    It would be like buying a gift card for a restaurant that is good for 30 days, only to come back a few days later and see a notice on the door they closed for the season because business was slow and sorry, no refunds on the prepaid gift cards.
    Again, if they just announced being closed through April and will evaluate the situation at that time then I would feel completely different.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    DewieCox said:
    You do you!  I think that’s well past “enough”. That park business is nutso!! 

Interested to see how people not blowing this off handle social circles and stuff. Staying isolated for a few weeks and hoping my friends do the same. Have a guitar playing buddy, so they would be nice to have that to escape from the house.

Interesting work Iceland is doing. Getting more accurate numbers will do wonders for peace of mind I 
    I have a couple guitar playing buddies as well and we were kicking around the idea of getting together still, but I’m not going to. Even though we’re all self-isolating, you just never know. We all make occasional trips to the store, etc. which is taking on some level of risk. Just playing solo unfortunately, but it’s a good mental escape. 
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:
    There could be an entire thread on potential positive effects this pandemic could create...
    I keep seeing memes about all the food service industry workers who are ridiculed every time the subject of living/minimum wages gets raised, now they are some of the few deemed "essential" to society.

Great point. 

For what it's worth, we're tipping our food delivery folks above the normal 20% :)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,571
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    There could be an entire thread on potential positive effects this pandemic could create...
    I keep seeing memes about all the food service industry workers who are ridiculed every time the subject of living/minimum wages gets raised, now they are some of the few deemed "essential" to society.

Great point. 

For what it's worth, we're tipping our food delivery folks above the normal 20% :)

That is awesome!  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Annafalk said:

hahahaha
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    bbiggs said:

People at After ski in Sweden , after people on the daily national press conference has said that it could end horrible to have them at this time.

Already cases of Corona connected to it.

Fuck idiots.
    This is today? I can’t even comprehend that. 
    Should have seen Bondi Beach in Sydney yesterday.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    mickeyrat said:
    this illustrates how quickly this spreads...

Watch How the Coronavirus Spread Across the United States https://nyti.ms/33DCsY1

Fuck this is scary
    Australian government has just banned all 'non-essential travel'.
    Not sure if that means I am allowed to drive around to go shopping or if this is just interstate air travel?
    I'd like to apologise to all of you for not taking this seriously up until now.
    I was listening to medical experts online saying it is just like a flu and to not panic, but this past week seeing the death toll and number of cases rising exponentially and seeing supermarket shelves bare (even this morning they were still bare) has changed my attitude.
    However, I still wonder if the conspiracy theories are true, they sound plausible from what I've read online but I will not elaborate further as it is a sensitive topic here which has upset many.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,617
    Not sure if that means I am allowed to drive around to go shopping or if this is just interstate air travel?

they haven't defined that somewhere?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    We're all in this together! 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

mickeyrat said:

I watched the live press conference as it interrupted normal broadcasting and our PM did not define.
    mickeyrat said:

I watched the live press conference as it interrupted normal broadcasting and our PM did not define.

check online and see what they say there.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-australia-all-essential-travel-to-be-cancelled-scott-morrison/b5aa303d-26cf-4f74-8ef6-5e884188855e

Not sure if I can still drive to the supermarket and to the service station to fill up my car?
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-australia-all-essential-travel-to-be-cancelled-scott-morrison/b5aa303d-26cf-4f74-8ef6-5e884188855e

Not sure if I can still drive to the supermarket and to the service station to fill up my car?

discretionary and subjective. MY read is grocery shopping and the like is ok. going to work is ok. just out fucking off, like a trip to bondi, isnt ok....

Exactly. Not even sure if the AFL season can continue. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    Don't  be afraid everyone hobby lobby is open!!

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    Well if it was a vision from God...
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    Not trying to be insensitive, but I have been thinking.

its only been a week or two of this and most people I know have been laid off and the economy is crashing by the minute

How long do you think this quarantine lifestyle can really go on for?  I’m all for saving as many lives as possible but do we really see society maintaining this for long with how rapidly the economy has been going down?
    This question is picking up steam. I think it makes sense to act with extreme caution right now, but the powers that be should really be evaluating this as we make decisions in the months ahead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing.html#click=https://t.co/0vQ51EMDdp
  • rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    NSW and Vic shutting down essential services tomorrow. Schools most likely to shut also. People are not listening so have to enforce it.
    NSW and Vic shutting down essential services tomorrow. Schools most likely to shut also. People are not listening so have to enforce it.
    They are not clear on what non essential travel is.
    Is that air travel or me driving from home to the supermarket?
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Don't  be afraid everyone hobby lobby is open!!

I'd like to hobby his lobby.  Selfish fool.

TA, I would think going to get food would be considered "essential".
    Yes so would I, I hope.
    Is Hobby Lobby a cheap art supply store?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Yes so would I, I hope.
    Is Hobby Lobby a cheap art supply store?
     No, it’s a whackjob craft supply store. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    F Hobby Lobby
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Our lockdown in KCMO starts at midnight on Monday. We're already working from home, but hearing this announcement today was jarring...even though I had a feeling it was coming. Be well, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
This discussion has been closed.