The coronavirus

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Anyone else pissed off at China?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Stop watching Fox News
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    I'm pissed that it's going on & taking lives left and right. 

The point of origin shouldn't be the focus. The lack of response by everyone is disturbing and honestly, shocking. We can all get pissed off and point fingers OR we can do something to help. Whether that means staying at home, helping out a neighbor or donating some $ to a worthy charity is up to you.

One life. That's all we have. ONE. LIFE.

Not trying to preach at all here....but we can and will get through this. No matter where it started, where it ends...it will happen.

Just an FYI....the wool is not over my eyes. I am in this. It is affecting my family directly. When it hits the fan ... you have a choice. Point a finger or make your fingers work to make things better. I choose the latter.

Be well, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    CM189191 said:
    Stop watching Fox News
    I don't watch Fox news you ******#@! 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    mfc2006 said:
    I'm pissed that it's going on & taking lives left and right. 

The point of origin shouldn't be the focus. The lack of response by everyone is disturbing and honestly, shocking. We can all get pissed off and point fingers OR we can do something to help. Whether that means staying at home, helping out a neighbor or donating some $ to a worthy charity is up to you.

One life. That's all we have. ONE. LIFE.

Not trying to preach at all here....but we can and will get through this. No matter where it started, where it ends...it will happen.

Just an FYI....the wool is not over my eyes. I am in this. It is affecting my family directly. When it hits the fan ... you have a choice. Point a finger or make your fingers work to make things better. I choose the latter.

Be well, all.
    Well, something needs to be done about China. 
    This is not the first time a global virus started in their country (e.g. SARS).
    Can foreign governments crack down on them? Enforce sanctions or something to pull them into line?
    Their government has blood on their hands for allowing wet markets where endangered species are kept in cages and bought for human consumption. This practice must stop to prevent another pandemic in future that could be even worse. The Chinese people must change their diet too. But how do you educate a nation so controlled by their communist regime? 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,571
    I'm really in a heavy space tonight.  I read an article about how some people will go off the deep end because being worried about the economics aspect.  I'm pretty worried about that myself, but I'm even way more worried by the thought of possibly losing someone (or ones) close to me- none in imminent danger right now, but there are definitely some people very close to me in the high risk category, one in particular.   In any case, I'm not going to kill myself, but I could see my possibly dying from stress and worry.  The way I've been feeling, I can't rule out that possibility.  Being in this space almost constantly is wearing me down.   I hope it doesn't do me in because if it did, I would be letting down some people big time.  I don't want to fail.  I'm constantly struggling to stay strong and not show my sometimes often desperate moments.   

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Sorry to hear Brian.
    Have you thought about speaking to a professional to help you work through this challenging time?
    Stay strong man.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    brianlux said:
    I'm really in a heavy space tonight.  I read an article about how some people will go off the deep end because being worried about the economics aspect.  I'm pretty worried about that myself, but I'm even way more worried by the thought of possibly losing someone (or ones) close to me- none in imminent danger right now, but there are definitely some people very close to me in the high risk category, one in particular.   In any case, I'm not going to kill myself, but I could see my possibly dying from stress and worry.  The way I've been feeling, I can't rule out that possibility.  Being in this space almost constantly is wearing me down.   I hope it doesn't do me in because if it did, I would be letting down some people big time.  I don't want to fail.  I'm constantly struggling to stay strong and not show my sometimes often desperate moments.   

I know how you feel. We have been hit one after the other here in Aus. Waiting to hear what our state of NSW declares Tomorrow in regards to essential services meaning unemployment for myself and thousands of others. We do in someway have a bit of government financial backing which is good for me and not so good for others as they don't qualify.
    My dad is in southern Sydney and is now in lockdown as he has aspestosis of the lungs from being on the Navy ships as a young man coupled with emphasema. he has 40% lung capacity. I'm very worried for him it will kill him if he gets it.
    I am sick as a dog at the moment cannot stop coughing my chest hurts so bad. Wouldn't qualify to get tested because I haven't been overseas or know anyone with it. My immunity is definitely shit right now and I'm flat out breathing as it is with whatever I've got.
    Doesn't help that I have to try and keep a 12 year old from doing all the things she wants to do and copping the backlash from her and her bad attitude.
    Stay safe all.. we are only at the beginning of this.

Over 300,000 people worldwide have been confirmed to be infected by the corona virus. More than 13,000 have died so far.

"This is the most serious crisis since the Second World War," said Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.

At the same time, Australia announces that they are imposing new restrictions on pubs, cinemas and other types of businesses, some of which are forced to close.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,067

Over 300,000 people worldwide have been confirmed to be infected by the corona virus. More than 13,000 have died so far.

"This is the most serious crisis since the Second World War," said Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.

At the same time, Australia announces that they are imposing new restrictions on pubs, cinemas and other types of businesses, some of which are forced to close.
    At the same time, about three billions people they don't have access to clean water and soap..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Just curious, is it still your position that kids should still be in school, or have you given up on Camp Covid?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    It is very scary what the Spanish prime minister (or is it president?) said.
    This crisis will test our moral strength.
    edited March 2020
    Yes.

Also those flying down to northern italy to ski WHEN GRETA TOLD US NOT TO FUCKING FLY

Also those NOT FUCKING EATING AT THE RESTAURANT MY MOM WORKS - SOON WORKED -- AT

Also anyone eating meat FACILITATING THESE KIND OF VIRUSES. NEVER SEEN FUCKING ICEBERG SALAD CAUSING A LOCKDOWN OF THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Also The Doors for NOT RERECORDING THEIR "OTHER VOCIES" ALBUM IN 1993 WITH EDDIE VEDDER ON VOCALS
    Glad I am not the only one.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    Wow... another one....
    Trillium, one of the most successful craft breweries in all of New England, is shutting down almost all operations today and only providing its employees one additional week of pay.  This line struck me:
    "We have tried our best to support our entire team for as long as possible." - All it took was one week and now one of the craft beer Giants is unable to provide for its employees

This is awful. Trillium is terrific, but their business is still local/regional. Hardly a giant...but that’s why the craft beer industry as a whole is at risk. The good ones aren’t giants. 

Local brewery near me started offering delivery. Others have pickup. Tons of support right now, I wonder what the support will be in 2 months though 
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited March 2020

Cuban doctors head to Italy battle coronavirus

HAVANA (Reuters) - Communist-run Cuba said it dispatched a brigade of doctors and nurses to Italy for the first time this weekend to help in the fight against the novel coronavirus at the request of the worst-affected region Lombardy.

The Caribbean island has sent its “armies of white robes” to disaster sites around the world largely in poor countries since its 1959 revolution. Its doctors were in the front lines in the fight against cholera in Haiti and against ebola in West Africa in the 2010s.

Yet with the 52-strong brigade, this is the first time Cuba has sent an emergency contingent to Italy, one of the world’s richest countries, demonstrating the reach of its medical diplomacy.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-cuba/cuban-doctors-head-to-italy-battle-coronavirus-idUSKBN219051

Bernie stays winning
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    dignin said:
    793 more deaths in Italy in the past 24 hrs.
    Awful.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    edited March 2020
    Australia has imposed this tonight. NSW and Vic will add their restrictions on top of these tomorrow. Thousands have lost their jobs today and this is only step 1. Covid19 cases are going to skyrocket..

We don't have to send kids to school but if they are home they are not allowed to go anywhere.
    Post edited by rhanishane on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Not trying to be insensitive, but I have been thinking.

its only been a week or two of this and most people I know have been laid off and the economy is crashing by the minute

How long do you think this quarantine lifestyle can really go on for?  I’m all for saving as many lives as possible but do we really see society maintaining this for long with how rapidly the economy has been going down?

It takes as long as it takes. 

If you are a business owner I have little interest in what you have to sell currently, unless if it’s essential medicine, food or other important supplies.

If you are a business owner and publicly push for economy over lives I will remember your business name and will never buy anything from your business for the rest of my days on this planet. And tell everyone I know to do the same.

I think he had a good point though. We can’t live like this indefinitely. Kids will need to go to school at some point (I don’t believe distance learning is early as effective). People need an income to buy food and other necessities. Government can only provide support for so long before there is just no money. 
    There will be a point where staying on shut down is going to cause more harm than the risk of the virus. Hopefully that time is a long time from. Is an we have a handle on it before then.
    I do think that point does exist somewhere, where the cost of shutting down is more harmful than the virus.  Just wondering when that point is.  Ive seen some of these new models (which are all over the place I know) that are saying we may have to live like this for 12-18 months to really be effective.  I do not think we will be able to keep society afloat financially for that long, not even close.

Another thing that I have been puzzled by:
    We have forced all of the restaurants, bars, etc to shut down and suffer, in order to maintain social distancing.  Yesterday however I went on a drive, and the parking lots of Target and the grocery store were absolutely packed, I mean to the point where it was difficult to find an open parking spot.  Seems counterintuitive that we are forcing small businesses to close but people can still cram into a store by the hundreds/thousands.
    With the spring weather rolling around, most places have patios open.  I feel much more confident in my ability to distance myself from others at a bar/brewery/restaurant than I do inside of a Target.
    Yes, some things don’t add up. I mentioned Costco the other day. In order to limit the number of people inside and crate safe spacing, there was a zig-zag line to get in. A zig zag line is the absolute worst. But hey, Costco was able to sent out an email from the CEO saying how they are making us safer. That’s what really matters to them.

Im not an expert, but I would guess if we go on for more than 3-4 months we will see irreparable damage to our economy. People will be so far in debt and no way to get out, crime will sky rocket and so on. And people will die from the economy. Not being as healthy, avoiding going to the dr because they can’t afford it and so on.
    Before we get to that point I think the restrictions would be lifted with a new normal of a lifestyle. People will be more cautious and wash hands. I’ve always been disgusted when in a public bathroom and see how many people just don’t wash hands. It’s probably over 1/3 I see just walk out without washing, it’s absolutely disgusting. People go to work sick, and it really isn’t their fault. I’ve been at several jobs where you were given crap for calling in sick, even when I worked in the food industry. You get looks and comments like “you could have made it through the day.” On top of that we don’t get enough vacation days (well, I do, but many don’t). If you get 10-15 days a year do you really want to spend most of that home being sick and skip any vacation?
    Parents knowing send their kids to school sick all the time. 
    I think a new normal may or should include a minimum paid sick time, being strict on no sick kids at school-even if that means holding parents accountable with fines or whatever means will work. And many other daily changes.
    Even without a vaccine or new treatment we’d reduce the flu and co-19 virus and possibly be even healthier than we were before.

Our country and our world needs to figure out what we do when we listen to Yield, the phone rings and ID says it’s an important call. We need to figure out a way to hit the pause button economically until it’s safe. And a huge danger is the misinformation and poor decision making from our leader. 

Rent, tax and other overhead reductions, delay of mortgage payments over a longer term, loans to business where repayments are based future recovery of business, enhanced unemployment insurance and debt relief among many other ideas that can safely pause the economy. Keeping us safe, preventing millions of deaths, is much more important.

Jumping the gun on restarting the economy too early or too fast could backfire exponentially. I’m hoping the news of the last few weeks makes that evident. Also, we don’t know what a second wave could look like. In many historical cases, subsequent waves become much deadlier than the first wave.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,617
    speechless.....

dont be put off by the headline, its really about pharmacists looking to be ethical where as some doctors dont seem to be....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mickeyrat said:
    speechless.....

dont be put off by the headline, its really about pharmacists looking to be ethical where as some doctors dont seem to be....

Thanks for sharing. My mom has Lupus and is on that drug.

Trump is such a snake oil salesman, doing more damage than good.
    Doesn't slow down
    And there is nothing to say that the epidemic is about to slow down, according to the Public Health Authority.

In the near future, Region Stockholm expects more people to seek care.

- It is increasing this weekend, even more next weekend and probably even more weekend thereafter. We are constantly seeing a gradual increase. Our hope is that things will not go so quickly, so that we will be able to catch up, ”says Björn Eriksson.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    Yes. The WHO, too. I think there's plenty of capacity to deal with the problem best you can and also be aggravated about the situation. Don't let people gaslight you into thinking that's only being discussed in right wing circles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/china-trolling-world-and-avoiding-blame/608332/
    pjl44 said:
    Yes. The WHO, too. I think there's plenty of capacity to deal with the problem best you can and also be aggravated about the situation. Don't let people gaslight you into thinking that's only being discussed in right wing circles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/china-trolling-world-and-avoiding-blame/608332/
    look in the Trump thread, I've had two people call me a racist in there...
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    I'm pissed at China, but it's about number 47 of the things I'm pissed about China.   And the other 46 are precipitated by the Chinese gov't, not the peasants in a wet market that are continuing the practices they've had for a millennium.  I think you're spending emotional anger on something that isn't helping even a little.  And in this country, that attitude plays into the distraction and division that Trump loves.  I'm not falling for this troll move by the president and his right wing lackies.  None of us, least of all the president, will have the ability to change cultural practices in China.  
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    pjl44 said:

Currently, in the middle of this crisis, what exactly is getting pissed off with China going to do exactly? Zero.

I would focus my attention on things I have control over. Holding my own elected officials feet to the fire is one of those things.

And I think it's important to remind everyone that Trump is trying to use China as a scapegoat for how badly he has bungled this. He needs a villain to point at to lay blame for his obvious shortcomings. It's a "hey look over there" tactic. 

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    pjl44 said:

look in the Trump thread, I've had two people call me a racist in there...
    Unless you've said something different there than you have here, that's insane
  • dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

Currently, in the middle of this crisis, what exactly is getting pissed off with China going to do exactly? Zero.

I would focus my attention on things I have control over. Holding my own elected officials feet to the fire is one of those things.

And I think it's important to remind everyone that Trump is trying to use China as a scapegoat for how badly he has bungled this. He needs a villain to point at to lay blame for his obvious shortcomings. It's a "hey look over there" tactic. 

+1
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
This discussion has been closed.