The coronavirus

Comments

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Not trying to be insensitive, but I have been thinking.

its only been a week or two of this and most people I know have been laid off and the economy is crashing by the minute

How long do you think this quarantine lifestyle can really go on for?  I’m all for saving as many lives as possible but do we really see society maintaining this for long with how rapidly the economy has been going down?
    My biggest fear long term is the possible economical and societal collapse.  If this goes on longer than two months my family won’t be able to keep up with the bills.  What about the millions that literally live paycheck to paycheck.  The response to the shut down could likely be worse for all of us than the virus.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    No offense to Stipe, but I'm a bit weary of celebrities touting safe behavior at this point.  I figure most if not all should be aware of the basics to try to avoid this virus.  It's probably mostly me, but much of it strikes me as more of attention-grabs than altruistic gestures.

What can I say- I'm a Michael Stipe fan from practically day one.  I saw them in the early days, have listened to their music for so long a little of it runs in my veins.   I personally found what he said to be encouraging.   You maybe should just have ignored my post instead of being negative, OK?  Thanks.

Another viewpoint is negative now? Jesus. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,067
    ''Coronavirus is like a flu, nothing more. Everybody calm down, especially here in Italy.''
    hope he/she is fine..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    mace1229 said:
    Not trying to be insensitive, but I have been thinking.

its only been a week or two of this and most people I know have been laid off and the economy is crashing by the minute

How long do you think this quarantine lifestyle can really go on for?  I’m all for saving as many lives as possible but do we really see society maintaining this for long with how rapidly the economy has been going down?

It takes as long as it takes. 

If you are a business owner I have little interest in what you have to sell currently, unless if it’s essential medicine, food or other important supplies.

If you are a business owner and publicly push for economy over lives I will remember your business name and will never buy anything from your business for the rest of my days on this planet. And tell everyone I know to do the same.

I think he had a good point though. We can’t live like this indefinitely. Kids will need to go to school at some point (I don’t believe distance learning is early as effective). People need an income to buy food and other necessities. Government can only provide support for so long before there is just no money. 
    There will be a point where staying on shut down is going to cause more harm than the risk of the virus. Hopefully that time is a long time from. Is an we have a handle on it before then.
    I do think that point does exist somewhere, where the cost of shutting down is more harmful than the virus.  Just wondering when that point is.  Ive seen some of these new models (which are all over the place I know) that are saying we may have to live like this for 12-18 months to really be effective.  I do not think we will be able to keep society afloat financially for that long, not even close.

Another thing that I have been puzzled by:
    We have forced all of the restaurants, bars, etc to shut down and suffer, in order to maintain social distancing.  Yesterday however I went on a drive, and the parking lots of Target and the grocery store were absolutely packed, I mean to the point where it was difficult to find an open parking spot.  Seems counterintuitive that we are forcing small businesses to close but people can still cram into a store by the hundreds/thousands.
    With the spring weather rolling around, most places have patios open.  I feel much more confident in my ability to distance myself from others at a bar/brewery/restaurant than I do inside of a Target.
    Yes, some things don’t add up. I mentioned Costco the other day. In order to limit the number of people inside and crate safe spacing, there was a zig-zag line to get in. A zig zag line is the absolute worst. But hey, Costco was able to sent out an email from the CEO saying how they are making us safer. That’s what really matters to them.

Im not an expert, but I would guess if we go on for more than 3-4 months we will see irreparable damage to our economy. People will be so far in debt and no way to get out, crime will sky rocket and so on. And people will die from the economy. Not being as healthy, avoiding going to the dr because they can’t afford it and so on.
    Before we get to that point I think the restrictions would be lifted with a new normal of a lifestyle. People will be more cautious and wash hands. I’ve always been disgusted when in a public bathroom and see how many people just don’t wash hands. It’s probably over 1/3 I see just walk out without washing, it’s absolutely disgusting. People go to work sick, and it really isn’t their fault. I’ve been at several jobs where you were given crap for calling in sick, even when I worked in the food industry. You get looks and comments like “you could have made it through the day.” On top of that we don’t get enough vacation days (well, I do, but many don’t). If you get 10-15 days a year do you really want to spend most of that home being sick and skip any vacation?
    Parents knowing send their kids to school sick all the time. 
    I think a new normal may or should include a minimum paid sick time, being strict on no sick kids at school-even if that means holding parents accountable with fines or whatever means will work. And many other daily changes.
    Even without a vaccine or new treatment we’d reduce the flu and co-19 virus and possibly be even healthier than we were before.
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,512
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    No offense to Stipe, but I'm a bit weary of celebrities touting safe behavior at this point.  I figure most if not all should be aware of the basics to try to avoid this virus.  It's probably mostly me, but much of it strikes me as more of attention-grabs than altruistic gestures.

What can I say- I'm a Michael Stipe fan from practically day one.  I saw them in the early days, have listened to their music for so long a little of it runs in my veins.   I personally found what he said to be encouraging.   You maybe should just have ignored my post instead of being negative, OK?  Thanks.

Another viewpoint is negative now? Jesus. 

Hedonist, Lux. Lux, Hedonist

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    I’ll take Uma, please!
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,512
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    I have said this to friends on this board and family members around me. For me this will be an economical crisis and not a health crisis. This in no way means that there is not a health crisis out there. There is and it seems to be a large one. I am just speaking how this is going to impact my family and I. We are doing our part trying to flatten the curve and are taking this very seriously but economically speaking this is a backbreaker for a lot of people especially small business's that were flirting on the red line already like my wife's. Yes government help is coming and yes at some point we hopefully will be back to normal but as of right now this stings really bad. You build something up for years and in a matter of days feel like that has been lost with no end in sight. I truly hope that going to these measures is the right approach to attacking this virus and once we rebound we can do so stronger than ever.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited March 2020
    My mom
    just find out she is being laid off. the restuarant is closing down. worked there since 89-90. they cant sustain without customers. the entire mall is a ghost town. 

feel so much anxioty for her right now. 

fuck corona. and the damage it is doing. In all areas. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    My mom
    just find out she is being laid off. the restuarant is closing down. worked there since 89-90. they cant sustain without customers. the entire mall is a ghost town. 

feel so much anxioty for her right now. 

fuck corona. and the damage it is doing. In all areas. 
    Very sorry to hear this. And yes...fuck this virus and the worldwide damage it is causing. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    https://apple.news/AWyPCs4g5Sz21lvuFs075cA
    im hoping one of these will be docked in NY harbor to help out, this shit is for real the hospital I work in is starting to fill up quickly with infected cases I’m completely spooked out by this and I’m not patient care but still freaked out..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,798
    Even people In fields outside of bars and restaurants are in danger.  Dentists have been told to not see patients, leaving many dental hygienists out of work.  Boston Sports Clubs has laid off all of their employees as of yesterday (BSC is a large chain gym in the greater Boston Area)
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
    Even people In fields outside of bars and restaurants are in danger.  Dentists have been told to not see patients, leaving many dental hygienists out of work.  Boston Sports Clubs has laid off all of their employees as of yesterday (BSC is a large chain gym in the greater Boston Area)
    I’m a welding inspector.  All of my work  has been pushed back at least until June. If work doesn’t start back up I and my family are going to get hit hard. As will the families of everyone in the welding industry and the vital sectors that rely on us.  Government needs to step up fast.  1200 bucks what a joke. And also no assistance for those that make below a certain income threshold also a joke. But by all means let’s throw money at Boeing.  
    Scio me nihil scire

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    static111 said:
    I’m a welding inspector.  All of my work  has been pushed back at least until June. If work doesn’t start back up I and my family are going to get hit hard. As will the families of everyone in the welding industry and the vital sectors that rely on us.  Government needs to step up fast.  1200 bucks what a joke. And also no assistance for those that make below a certain income threshold also a joke. But by all means let’s throw money at Boeing.  
    Hey! Among many of my former credentials I was a welding inspector. Small world.
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    Hey! Among many of my former credentials I was a welding inspector. Small world.
    Good trade. This is my first year not being a welder having just been credentialed as a CWI last April.  Things were looking good until covid 19
    Scio me nihil scire

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    The economic impact is going to hit almost everyone in some way. Some worse than others. I’m in the mortgage business. 100% commission. I told my wife last night that I expect almost my entire year’s income to be what I did from Jan. 1 through what closes in April or early May at latest. Very few people will be buying homes right now. Interest rates have jumped because of the market turmoil, so no benefit to refinance for most. My wife is a self-employed hair stylist, so zero income for her for the foreseeable future. This is going to hit hard. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,798
    Wow... another one....
    Trillium, one of the most successful craft breweries in all of New England, is shutting down almost all operations today and only providing its employees one additional week of pay.  This line struck me:
    "We have tried our best to support our entire team for as long as possible." - All it took was one week and now one of the craft beer Giants is unable to provide for its employees

2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004

• vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    "Within the administration, Trump's aides tried in vain to convince him of the virus's seriousness, according to the Post. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar was unable to discuss the virus with Trump until January 18, two senior administration officials told the Post -- at which point the President interrupted him to ask when sales of flavored vaping products would resume, senior administration officials told the paper."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/politics/us-intelligence-reports-trump-coronavirus/index.html
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    First MN death reported....
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054
  • NJ finally closed non-essential businesses and told people to stay home.  (Guessing they won't)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,405
    bbiggs said:
    The economic impact is going to hit almost everyone in some way. Some worse than others. I’m in the mortgage business. 100% commission. I told my wife last night that I expect almost my entire year’s income to be what I did from Jan. 1 through what closes in April or early May at latest. Very few people will be buying homes right now. Interest rates have jumped because of the market turmoil, so no benefit to refinance for most. My wife is a self-employed hair stylist, so zero income for her for the foreseeable future. This is going to hit hard. 
    I'm in the same industry. Doing all refinances, though.
    We're trying to figure how how to do virtual closings. Has your place looked into that?
    www.myspace.com
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    I was in a good mood today until I saw the White House briefing... bumbling idiots!

How long ago was that they said?... "NO, you don't need masks, it won't help, don't bother" 

Now the Orange man talks about cleaning old masks? Wow!  

Throw in Senators insider trading...  

Throw in POTUS tweeting BS about cure drugs...

and I have little faith in the current leadership at the federal levels. I'm afraid we have to work at the community levels.    
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,644
    benjs said:
    And the "Average Disease Deaths per Day Worldwide" graph too. Was at 55 when they started compiling and tracking this on the 9th, and this is now 5 days stale.

It’s crazy. Also, I am somewhat surprised that so many people die per day from rabies. Who knew 🤷‍♀️

People at After ski in Sweden , after people on the daily national press conference has said that it could end horrible to have them at this time.

Already cases of Corona connected to it.

Fuck idiots.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    It should be regarded as "willfully spread of pandemic disease" or something and they should be charged with it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    It should be regarded as "willfully spread of pandemic disease" or something and they should be charged with it.

They obviously don't care about their own well being or anyone else.  Must have a death wish or something.  I don't understand these people. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    793 more deaths in Italy in the past 24 hrs.
    bbiggs said:
    I'm in the same industry. Doing all refinances, though.
    We're trying to figure how how to do virtual closings. Has your place looked into that?
    Shoot.  I was hoping this could be a good time to refi on what's left of our mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.