The coronavirus

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Former NBA player Andrew Bogut has criticised the NBL, AFL, and NRL for going ahead with/continuing with their seasons.
    Money talks, coronavirus walks.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    Hi from Aus. Population 24 million. Covid numbers going up expotentially. No one seems to give a shit and continues on with the mass gatherings and infected cruise ships dispersing and and untested planes bringing in everyone and anyone from overseas walking all over sydney and everywhere else and spreading the deadly disease to the rest of us. Threatened with lockdown like naughty kids for overcrowding beaches cause people don't have any respect or care. It seems our country needs to be told what to do cause of the mass amount of disease spreaders incapable of social distancing and doing the right thing themselves. Government wont shut us down so schools, trains, buses and now just domestic air travel still allowed to continue to crowd with people.. people still happy to go on their planned school holiday trips, weddings and gatherings adamant to go ahead because well not going to ruin our special day attitude... Egotistical maniacs in this country without a care in the world.... Give it a couple of weeks they will all be crying like little sooks because of the death rate!!
    I woke up with a sore throat this morning, hopefully just a cold but I'm pissed off cause Covid will kill me and I'm only 41.
    Do you have a preexisting condition?
    Yeah my lungs are stuffed
    Sorry to hear :(
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • RideRickRideRick Posts: 703
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • Former NBA player Andrew Bogut has criticised the NBL, AFL, and NRL for going ahead with/continuing with their seasons.
    Fuck Andrew Bogus.  Nobody cares what he thinks.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    RideRick said:
    Careful with him, he’s been widely criticized for downplaying the situation. I mean, yesterday more than 600 people died Italy. How can he say there’s no problem??
    Former NBA player Andrew Bogut has criticised the NBL, AFL, and NRL for going ahead with/continuing with their seasons.
    Fuck Andrew Bogus.  Nobody cares what he thinks.
    ah, alright....
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited March 2020
    Going for a long walk today. Try to avoid people. Gonna go support a local restaurant and by home some of their vegan cheeses and other stuff. 

My collegues on the movie I work on who is still working at the office went and had lunch at my moms reaturant to support it a tad. Was very thankful.

This economy is gonna crash. people gonna have to takeaway etc like crazy. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,798
    Not trying to be insensitive, but I have been thinking.

its only been a week or two of this and most people I know have been laid off and the economy is crashing by the minute

How long do you think this quarantine lifestyle can really go on for?  I’m all for saving as many lives as possible but do we really see society maintaining this for long with how rapidly the economy has been going down?
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

This is a big problem for 'merica.

We're tracking worse than Italy.

I had to look up why the y axis isn't per capita, which you would think makes sense, but it doesn't:

Compound this with the lack of sufficient testing here, and our numbers are likely grossly underestimated.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    dignin said:

L.A. County gives up on containing coronavirus, tells doctors to skip testing of some patients

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-20/coronavirus-county-doctors-containment-testing

That can't be good.

The guidance sets in writing what has been a reality all along. The shortage of tests nationwide has meant that many patients suspected of having COVID-19 have not had the diagnosis confirmed by a laboratory.

In addition to the lack of tests, public health agencies across the country lack the staff to trace the source of new cases, drastically reducing the chances of isolating people who have been exposed and thereby containing the outbreak.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mace1229 said:
    One piece of good news, it seems to be far less deadly the previously stated. 
    I never believed that 3-4% fatality rate. I thought the best number was from South Korea because they tested so many and they had a 0.7%.
    I just heard there are over 19,000 confirmed cases with 264 deaths. That’s 0.13%.
    Not saying we don’t need to be carefully, just saying it might not have as high of a fatality rate as once thought.
    Im also guessing as we continue to test more that number will continue to drop. 
    I don't think you understand how this is tied to care keeping deaths low. Currently Americans are receiving proper care for C19 but if the healthcare system is overwhelmed those percentages will go up. You don't have to look very far to see the danger given what other countries are experiencing.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    You can not compare country to country with this thing imo. Too many different variables with testing. Here is Italy's numbers. Substantially More tests and less of a % increase is a great sign yesterday. This is the stats that I look at. They were dragging their feet on testing as well and the true numbers could be anyones guess. If you compare country to country all you are doing is comparing two different areas that have/had limited testing on different levels making it impossible to draw a line and make any worthwhile comparisons. What if NY got 100,000 tests done today and that number blew up to an almost true number? Does that mean it is spreading more? No it means we are getting more accurate data instead of what ever the drips we have been given over the last couple of weeks. 

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    edited March 2020

its only been a week or two of this and most people I know have been laid off and the economy is crashing by the minute

How long do you think this quarantine lifestyle can really go on for?  I’m all for saving as many lives as possible but do we really see society maintaining this for long with how rapidly the economy has been going down?

It takes as long as it takes. 

If you are a business owner I have little interest in what you have to sell currently, unless if it’s essential medicine, food or other important supplies.

If you are a business owner and publicly push for economy over lives I will remember your business name and will never buy anything from your business for the rest of my days on this planet. And tell everyone I know to do the same.

If you are a business owner I have little interest in what you have to sell currently, unless if it’s essential medicine, food or other important supplies.

If you are a business owner and publicly push for economy over lives I will remember your business name and will never buy anything from your business for the rest of my days on this planet. And tell everyone I know to do the same.

Fair enough.  Luckily I am in the healthcare industry but I’m feeling for my friends who are now out of work for the foreseeable future and are wondering where next months rent is coming from.  
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    I never believed that 3-4% fatality rate. I thought the best number was from South Korea because they tested so many and they had a 0.7%.
    I just heard there are over 19,000 confirmed cases with 264 deaths. That’s 0.13%.
    Not saying we don’t need to be carefully, just saying it might not have as high of a fatality rate as once thought.
    I don't think you understand how this is tied to care keeping deaths low. Currently Americans are receiving proper care for C19 but if the healthcare system is overwhelmed those percentages will go up. You don't have to look very far to see the danger given what other countries are experiencing.

There is also a multiple week lag from positive test to fatality, which lowers the mortality rate temporarily.

The US has an incredible health care system, I can personally vouch for that this week, unfortunately. But we need to ramp up production of protective gear and ventilators ASAP and we have a moronic gaslighting idiot in charge. If we don’t, our mortality rate could catch up quickly.

We are going to obliterate the number of cases in China. Everyone should weigh the consequences of that when determining if we are a smart country with effective leadership.

More than one show please Liam. And does Noel deserve an apology, for a lifetime of dealing with ...you.
    Surprising ...

Majority of NYC’s coronavirus cases are men between 18 and 49 years old

Julia Marsh

The majority of New York City residents who have tested positive for the coronavirus are men between the ages of 18 and 49, according to newly released public health data.

Even though experts say the elderly are the hardest hit by the virus, just 46% of the city’s COVID-19 patients are over 50 while 54% are 18-49. The remaining 2% of cases are people age 5 to 17.

The demographics, from the city’s Health Department, were determined from an analysis of 3,954 positive cases on March 19.

By Friday, March 20, there were 5,151 COVID-19 cases and 29 fatalities.

Women are underrepresented in the city’s tally while men account for 59% of infected people.

Men are more than twice as likely as women to die from the pathogen, White House coronavirus expert, Dr. Deborah Birx, said Friday citing mortality rates from Italy.

In addition to the demographics, the Health Department released a graph showing the alarming strain on the city’s hospital system.

• Not trying to be insensitive, but I have been thinking.

This is why the govt needs to step in and provide relief.
    All of the people who depend on those business owners for income need the businesses to either continue paying (impossible for most small business owners) or at least be viable as employers on the other side of this nightmare.
    Tough times with very few answers - but I do believe extreme measures to slow the spread is priority number one.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    And the "Average Disease Deaths per Day Worldwide" graph too. Was at 55 when they started compiling and tracking this on the 9th, and this is now 5 days stale.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Negligence by the Australian government....
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-21/coronavirus-four-cruise-ships-dock-australia-national-ban/12077824?fbclid=IwAR24pGkjIsI_l_n9tRz3Db-zsT5yK_inrFIncx7Nq1opM2UGQoKs_-6xoHA

It's shit that in this crisis the world has three stooges in charge. Trump, Johnson, Morrison. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    Surprising ...

Majority of NYC’s coronavirus cases are men between 18 and 49 years old

Julia Marsh

The majority of New York City residents who have tested positive for the coronavirus are men between the ages of 18 and 49, according to newly released public health data.

Even though experts say the elderly are the hardest hit by the virus, just 46% of the city’s COVID-19 patients are over 50 while 54% are 18-49. The remaining 2% of cases are people age 5 to 17.

The demographics, from the city’s Health Department, were determined from an analysis of 3,954 positive cases on March 19.

By Friday, March 20, there were 5,151 COVID-19 cases and 29 fatalities.

Women are underrepresented in the city’s tally while men account for 59% of infected people.

Men are more than twice as likely as women to die from the pathogen, White House coronavirus expert, Dr. Deborah Birx, said Friday citing mortality rates from Italy.

In addition to the demographics, the Health Department released a graph showing the alarming strain on the city’s hospital system.

What is surprising to you? That men get it more than women or the fact that 54% of people in NYC are getting this are 18-49? Ages 20-54 make up over 50% of NYC population so those numbers make sense to me. Also the majority age group is 18-49 at 54%. That is made up of men and women. The flashy headline that the majority of people getting this virus are men in that age group is false. 

0.59 X 54= 31.86% of the NYC population that is getting this virus are men ages 18-49. That is nowheres near the majority since that number would have to be above 50% to be considered that. Head to head against other ages sure but not worded as the title implies. 
    An expert has predicted Australia will turn into Italy if we do not turn it around within 14 days.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    That is true. But still don’t think the death rate is near that 3-4% mark. There are so many untested people we really don’t know how many actually have it.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253

I think he had a good point though. We can’t live like this indefinitely. Kids will need to go to school at some point (I don’t believe distance learning is early as effective). People need an income to buy food and other necessities. Government can only provide support for so long before there is just no money. 
    There will be a point where staying on shut down is going to cause more harm than the risk of the virus. Hopefully that time is a long time from. Is an we have a handle on it before then.
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:

I think he had a good point though. We can’t live like this indefinitely. Kids will need to go to school at some point (I don’t believe distance learning is early as effective). People need an income to buy food and other necessities. Government can only provide support for so long before there is just no money. 
    There will be a point where staying on shut down is going to cause more harm than the risk of the virus. Hopefully that time is a long time from. Is an we have a handle on it before then.
    I do think that point does exist somewhere, where the cost of shutting down is more harmful than the virus.  Just wondering when that point is.  Ive seen some of these new models (which are all over the place I know) that are saying we may have to live like this for 12-18 months to really be effective.  I do not think we will be able to keep society afloat financially for that long, not even close.

Another thing that I have been puzzled by:
    We have forced all of the restaurants, bars, etc to shut down and suffer, in order to maintain social distancing.  Yesterday however I went on a drive, and the parking lots of Target and the grocery store were absolutely packed, I mean to the point where it was difficult to find an open parking spot.  Seems counterintuitive that we are forcing small businesses to close but people can still cram into a store by the hundreds/thousands.
    With the spring weather rolling around, most places have patios open.  I feel much more confident in my ability to distance myself from others at a bar/brewery/restaurant than I do inside of a Target.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
This discussion has been closed.