The coronavirus

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    Good morning, troopers.  I hope you're all well. 

I read an article on realclimate.org that referred to the time before COVID-19 as "BC", before COVID.  That highly illustrated the fact that we have, indeed, entered a new era.  This is Mother Nature's wake up call, and with it, a chance to move forward to a new and better world... if we choose.

'O wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world. That has such people in't!"
    -Willy S.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    NY is on 100% lockdown.  Well reduced workforce.  

Only essential workers needed.

I actually have a job that is part of the infrastructure here so I can work at the office for a little while.  It's closing out but after that I don't have anything...
    I am expecting more states to follow suit in short order. 

I wish they would do it before everyone gets out for the weekend. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004
    CM189191 said:

I actually have a job that is part of the infrastructure here so I can work at the office for a little while.  It's closing out but after that I don't have anything...

100% agree.

People are still not taking this seriously.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    edited March 2020
    Luckily our school that’s 100 miles from anywhere is set up to run satellite style for as long as possible. Biggest issue is lower elementary, K and pre K.  What percentage of schools have this as an option? I can imagine that it’s not financially feasible and/or too late for slot of school more directly in the blast zone. 

When they were still attending  there was a “walk by the bathrooms you wash your hands” policy for the last few weeks so probably 100x less gross than SOP.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    edited March 2020
    CM189191 said:

100% agree.

People are still not taking this seriously.
    That's the truth....

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    All schools in an infected area should be closed.  Those places are like petri dishes, kids sneezing and coughing.  Ugh I was on edge last week.  
    Exactly. Anyone who thinks schools won’t help spread this must have been home schooled.

Literally the day before we closed I saw a girl dump her bag of chips on her desk and eat them straight off the desk, and of course sharing with others.
    Even without an outbreak this is disgusting, I bet less than half the students wash their hands after using the bathroom.
    That's a pretty ignorant statement. Why even say such a thing? What does being home schooled have to do with illogical thinking? I think a better statement would have been, anyone who thinks schools won't help spread this must be a Trump supporter.
    Well, home schoolers tend to be Trump supporters, in general, from my experience. Kind of the same thing.
  • sj9966sj9966 Posts: 55
    UK Government just announced they will pay 80% of their salary (up to £2500 per month) to laid off workers during this crisis.

Scranton 1992, Manchester 1 2012, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Wrigley 1 2016, Amsterdam 1 2018, Prague 2018, London 2 2018, EV Madrid 2019, Hyde Park 1 2022, Hyde Park 2 2022

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    sj9966 said:
    UK Government just announced they will pay 80% of their salary (up to £2500 per month) to laid off workers during this crisis.

Excellent to hear.  That is great.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    sj9966 said:
    Great to hear.   Everyone please stay safe this weekend.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    A neat story to share.  Last night we had a delivery show up at our house around 6:00 p.m.  We hadn't ordered anything.  It was a food delivery guy with a couple bags full of cooked meals.  There was an 8.5 x 11 letter on top.  A local Realtor/ friend of ours sent out meals to a large group of her friends, clients, etc.  The food came from a local, small business restaurant.  She shared her story in the letter as to the "why" behind this and of course it was to show the importance of supporting local businesses during this rough time, as well as to give a helping hand to others around her.  It was such a kind and generous act, I thought I'd share it here.  Hopefully it starts a trend, locally at least, and can help to drive some business to these restaurants.  They sure do need it.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    bbiggs said:
    Are you guys still making visits to stores as necessary or trying to avoid them?  My wife just ran to the store for some necessities and I feel like I'm sending her into battle, for lack of a better comparison.  So much risk just walking into the damn store right now.  Then you wait and hope no symptoms appear.
    I tend to always have a stocked pantry and freezer, so I just rounded everything out earlier this week and will not go back to the grocery store for awhile. I bought frozen fruit and vegetables, which I normally eat fresh, but my mom and I have what we need to last a month. I cannot bring this virus into my house.

Beyond that, I'll visit my local farm store and weekly farmer's market as necessary throughout the  seasons. We need to support local farmers as much as possible if we have that option. Our food supply chain is a concern with or without a pandemic, and when people calm down, I hope they start to pay more attention to this important issue.

I tend to think a lot of what people are calling the "hoarding" of food is in part a disruption of our normal SAD lifestyle. People can't eat out. They don't know how to cook. A lot of kids are home, and they will mostly eat only sugar-laden boxes of things.  Parents and a lot of kitchen-challenged people are pulling whatever they know off the shelves to get through this. I tend to be forgiving of people's initial reaction, and am slightly hopeful that people will learn how to enjoy meals at home again. Buying bags of flour is not a bad thing if people learn to bake their own bread :blush:  

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    sj9966 said:
    Uk doesn't have unemployment insurance through unions etc? 80% of lost salary when getting unemployed is standard in Sweden.  Up to £80 per day I think.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Kat said:
    Hindsight. 

We all know Trump is a bad person but I doubt he knew of this person's passing.
    Illinois shutting it down.
    IL lockdown just announced. 
    Illinois shutting down this weekend.
    bbiggs said:
    Do you have enough IPA's?
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention.

Beer distributors are closing for 2 weeks...
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,012

I think we're set for groceries, & i have a few beers at home.

If I can't hit the store on the way home, it looks like I'll be dipping into my whiskey stash if / when MA locks down.

edited March 2020

If I can't hit the store on the way home, it looks like I'll be dipping into my whiskey stash if / when MA locks down.

Was thinking the same thing.  Don't want to puff on any cigars though.  Don't want to compromise my lungs any.

EDIT: I don't inhale but I'm not chancing anything.
  • bbiggs said:
    A neat story to share.  Last night we had a delivery show up at our house around 6:00 p.m.  We hadn't ordered anything.  It was a food delivery guy with a couple bags full of cooked meals.  There was an 8.5 x 11 letter on top.  A local Realtor/ friend of ours sent out meals to a large group of her friends, clients, etc.  The food came from a local, small business restaurant.  She shared her story in the letter as to the "why" behind this and of course it was to show the importance of supporting local businesses during this rough time, as well as to give a helping hand to others around her.  It was such a kind and generous act, I thought I'd share it here.  Hopefully it starts a trend, locally at least, and can help to drive some business to these restaurants.  They sure do need it.

That is great, I love it
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,012

Was thinking the same thing.  Don't want to puff on any cigars though.  Don't want to compromise my lungs any.

EDIT: I don't inhale but I'm not chancing anything.

Yeah...been thinking about my herbal intake & how that compromises me.  :|
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    bbiggs said:
    This is awesome. I wish we had the money to do the same, but we’re definitely contributing to our local beloved eateries.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited March 2020
    I'm gonna open a bottle of wine now... tired of beer... got 2-3 hours animation left to do tonight.

TIME FOR...

ISOLATIOOON
    ISOOOLATION
    ISOOLATIIOOON

There was a solemn man who watched his twilight... etc
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    Daily hike. 75 degrees here!! Get outside if you can.  Steam walking today.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    On a light note, I do.  :)  Decided to stock up and helped support two local breweries by buying some fresh four-packs today (curbside pick-up).

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention.

Beer distributors are closing for 2 weeks...

I feel for these guys.  Going to be hard to weather the storm for long.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,405
    If we survive this thing we're gonna fucking party
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    If we survive this thing we're gonna fucking party

Amen.  If we get through this, I'm expecting some all-time great PJ shows to take place. 
This discussion has been closed.