The coronavirus

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,577
    So, a question... 

Now we are pretty much locking down society entirely as a whole and people are kept isolated, and stores and restaurants will not survive and it will be a huge blow to the economy, peoples jobs etc.

At the same time the mortality amongst people under 50 or whatever is not big. And with all these measures - if just someones visits Sweden later and has it it will spread again, just like now...

So why doesn't we keep sick and old people on a super lockdown - and the rest just live as normal and get infected and live through it (but with some washing hands-precuastions etc) for the 2 weeks or whatever you are sick? With the mortality rate being as low as it is. And then we will reach immunity in society and people (not old and sick) can keep going out, and shopping etc.

Having curfews and saying people should stay at home seems to be a weird way to stop it when it will explode again with just one person having it walking into a crowd.

I mean, is this gonna keep going until a vaccine is out? Or what is the end goal here...

Maybe I'm missing something here. I'm tired and it's late.

Gonna grab myself a beer, as Reel Big Fish sings.

A lot of this makes some sense.  The problem is, we don't know enough about this virus yet and there's a good reason they call it a "novel"  (as in "new and not resembling something formerly known/  not previously identified") virus.  We don't know yet if or how this virus could mutate.  Plus, it is already too late to stop the spread of the disease and what the isolating will do is lower the curve so as not to  overwhelm the health care system.  And remember, in many parts of the world, especially in the U.S., many younger people are unhealthy- just look at how prevalent obesity, at how poor many Americans diet is (McDonalds, anyone?) or the number of young people with asthma which has resulted from air pollution among other things.

I guess if one wanted to take a purely objective, biocentric viewpoint we would say that this virus is an inevitable and normal process Mother Nature does when a population gets out of hand and/ or is unhealthy and that, in the long run, it is a good thing for the species.  In nature, things like this happen to cull the weak members of the herd or species and it strengthens the species in the long run.

But most other species don't have the emotions we do and probably none at the level at which we are emotional.  We don't want to lose family members.  Old farts like me do not want to be culled from the herd just yet.  We want to live as long as reasonably possible (i.e., if I were a complete invalid with no quality of life I would not be as afraid of this virus as I currently am.)

So, hopefully, we will learn some important lessons through all of this about keep our numbers reasonable, about the foolish behavior of eating bats and other wild life, etc. (the poor choices made by SOME people in China- let's not be racist though), about taking better care of our environment, about (in my opinion) how unwise it is that such large numbers of people travel as broadly and as frequently as we do.  Because if we keep up with our behavior as a species, something else will come along, perhaps something even worse than COVID-19, that will be an even greater threat to our well being.   What is happening now has been predicted by science.  It was inevitable. 

Let's learn from this and be a better and wiser kind of animal so that we can go on living a productive, creative, joyful life. 

My 25 cents anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    When this first started to be tracked (on the 9th), I believe the average deaths per day was down at 56. As of the 13th, this was up to 70. Now, here we are at 88.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,415
    So, a question... 

Now we are pretty much locking down society entirely as a whole and people are kept isolated, and stores and restaurants will not survive and it will be a huge blow to the economy, peoples jobs etc.

At the same time the mortality amongst people under 50 or whatever is not big. And with all these measures - if just someones visits Sweden later and has it it will spread again, just like now...

So why doesn't we keep sick and old people on a super lockdown - and the rest just live as normal and get infected and live through it (but with some washing hands-precuastions etc) for the 2 weeks or whatever you are sick? With the mortality rate being as low as it is. And then we will reach immunity in society and people (not old and sick) can keep going out, and shopping etc.

Having curfews and saying people should stay at home seems to be a weird way to stop it when it will explode again with just one person having it walking into a crowd.

I mean, is this gonna keep going until a vaccine is out? Or what is the end goal here...

i get what you are saying. I have the same end game question. when is it or worse what if there isn't an end game anytime soon? you can't shut everything down for months and months.  i mean can we go longer than like june 1st with this?  so what happens then if there are still cases?  that's what worries me.  when/how does it end
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,625
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,126

severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    edited March 2020
    pjhawks said:
    So, a question... 

i get what you are saying. I have the same end game question. when is it or worse what if there isn't an end game anytime soon? you can't shut everything down for months and months.  i mean can we go longer than like june 1st with this?  so what happens then if there are still cases?  that's what worries me.  when/how does it end
    I can't imagine smaller, family owned restaurants surviving by even having a few weeks without customers....

There gonna be mass bankruptcies here with smaller companies and stores... 

I mean, McDonalds and H&M can ride it out... but local chinese restaurants, pizzerias, clothings stores etc...

Like the restaurant my mom works at, that is located in a mall -- it is dead there, no one visits the mall - all people do is go to the supermarkets and buy toilet paper and canned food.

Toilet paper producers and board games manufacturers will have the spring of their lifetime - but the rest...
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    bbiggs said:
    The data is clear that elderly people are not able to fight off this virus well; however, I wonder if there are cases where someone in their 80's HAS fully recovered.  You would think those cases do exist based on the amount of people that have contracted the virus.  Anyone see any news in regards to this?

According to China's data, the fatality rate was around 20% for those over 80 and 1% and lower for those under 50. 

I'd expect to US over 80 rates to be lower.
    Why do you expect US over 80 fatality rates to be lower than China’s? China has a higher healthy life expectancy rate than the US - that is, older Chinese are healthier than older Americans. Not surprising, considering the differences in diet, rates of obesity; etc
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,625
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,132
    bbiggs said:
    The data is clear that elderly people are not able to fight off this virus well; however, I wonder if there are cases where someone in their 80's HAS fully recovered.  You would think those cases do exist based on the amount of people that have contracted the virus.  Anyone see any news in regards to this?

According to China's data, the fatality rate was around 20% for those over 80 and 1% and lower for those under 50. 

I'd expect to US over 80 rates to be lower.
    Why do you expect US over 80 fatality rates to be lower than China’s? China has a higher healthy life expectancy rate than the US - that is, older Chinese are healthier than older Americans. Not surprising, considering the differences in diet, rates of obesity; etc
    I’d say the Chinese are more prone to die since they have a terrible pollution problem, they walk around with masks on regular days..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,387
    Oh, McG... hugs.

Here is a link to BC's online self-assessment as we are mostly only testing health workers, outbreaks, LTC (long term care) patients, hospitalized people:

https://covid19.thrive.health

It starts like this: (I haven't taken it.)

Are you experiencing any of the following:
    • Severe difficulty breathing (e.g. struggling to breathe or speaking in single words)
    • Severe chest pain
    • Having a very hard time waking up
    • Feeling confused
    • Losing consciousness
    No Yes

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    It looks like we are going to have to shut down our business completely soon.  😒
    Hope we can weather this.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Hope even more that we stay healthy.
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    And you can now add WV to the list
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    rgambs said:
    It looks like we are going to have to shut down our business completely soon.  😒
    God damn that sucks.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    What type of buisness, if you don't mind me asking?
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

The CDC recommends postponing routine eye care, we aren't mandated to close doors yet, but Dewine has been at the forefront on closures and quarantine measures, so we are expecting it soon.
    As it is, we are limiting (pre-screened) patients to 1 every two hours or less to avoid having multiple people in the building at once and provide ample time for disinfection, but even this has some risk.  Most patients have cancelled or screened out, and we are trying to get everyone to stock up on contacts (direct shipped) and pick up any glasses not collected yet.  
    It could always be worse, I just hope we stay healthy and solvent.
    Virginia just allowed police to keep gatherings to 10 or less..that will hurt a business or two..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

rgambs said:

rgambs said:
    Hope even more that we stay healthy.

I hope for both!  Hang in there my friend!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    My ex works with infectious disease doctors at a major university hospital and just sent me this: For the third day in a row Italy has had the same number of new cases!!! Distancing is working!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    My ex works with infectious disease doctors at a major university hospital and just sent me this: For the third day in a row Italy has had the same number of new cases!!! Distancing is working!

Excellent!

• KatKat Posts: 4,831
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    mcgruff10 said:

Thanks for this.  Love getting a bit of good news.  Much needed.  Great pic and glad to see you enjoyed the day outside with your son.  Just got in from a long walk and playing catch with my little guy for an hour.  Fresh air and getting away from the news is good for the soul right now.
    edited March 2020
    ^ Agree!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    I'm burned out on reading the bad news about COVID-19.  Doesn't mean I'm not going to be realistic of stick my head in the sand, but a little hopeful or good news can't hurt, so here's a start that way:

There Is Good News About the Coronavirus

5 ways our world is already better from the global response to the pandemic.

edited March 2020
    Thank you Bri! I also love seeing how our shifting paradigms for work might result in a cleaner world, Kat.

I am happy our US/Can border might close tomorrow. Not only to slow spread, but also, would be nice if my airline cancelled my flight and I won't be looking at trying to rebook potentially 2 trips by Sept/Dec 2020. Phew!

Edit: Ah crap... looks like they will take too long, and I've recently learned my airline drags it's heels too. Oh well, could be worse.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    tish said:
    Thank you Bri! I also love seeing how our shifting paradigms for work might result in a cleaner world, Kat.

I am happy our US/Can border might close tomorrow. Not only to slow spread, but also, would be nice if my airline cancelled my flight and I won't be looking at trying to rebook potentially 2 trips by Sept/Dec 2020. Phew!

Edit: Ah crap... looks like they will take too long, and I've recently learned my airline drags it's heels too. Oh well, could be worse.

Thumbs up for a cleaner world, Tish!  :smile: 

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    My ex works w ith infectious disease doctors at a major university hospital and just sent me this: For the third day in a row Italy has had the same number of new cases!!! Distancing is working!
    Didn’t Italy shut things down pretty much?  Something our chicken shit politicians are afraid to do, so far.  At times like this we all need to sacrifice...

im ready for the eventual lockdown...we’ll, I’m not well stocked on toilet paper...lol.  I got plenty of weed, so I’ll be good.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mcgruff10 said:
    My ex works w ith infectious disease doctors at a major university hospital and just sent me this: For the third day in a row Italy has had the same number of new cases!!! Distancing is working!
    Didn’t Italy shut things down pretty much?  Something our chicken shit politicians are afraid to do, so far.  At times like this we all need to sacrifice...

im ready for the eventual lockdown...we’ll, I’m not well stocked on toilet paper...lol.  I got plenty of weed, so I’ll be good.

A tough thing to do and hard for many, but I think we have to do it- shut 'er down.  We had to here.  We're not stocked up for the long haul but but have enough for a month, maybe two if it came down to eating just the weird shit around the house.  I'm eating less which is OK... even when I have the munchies, haha!  Good self-control practice there!  Besides, there's plenty of cat food.  Yum!  :smiley:

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    If you don't want bad news, don't read this thread.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696?s=20
This discussion has been closed.